Creative Production on Linux (Audio/Video/Editing)

What do you use/how do you cope? Is there any hope for commercial solutions/VSTs that only support Windows/MacOS to get a Linux port?

Attached: music-producer-imac-setup.jpg (620x424, 82.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoostudio.org/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
sex-meeting.com
bome.com/products/miditranslator
mediafire.com/file/jts36oycyahlxnx/pianoteq_stage_setup_v622.exe/file
tools.suckless.org/blind/
cs.cmu.edu/~music/nyquist/
youtube.com/watch?v=sfrZQzoC6zs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

stop using commercial solutions and support the open source ones.

Video: Kdenlive
Audio: Audacity, LMMS and Bitwig Studio

Btw are there any DAWs for BSDs?

There's Fruity Loops on macOS :^)

Is AV Linux or that one av-oriented ubuntu still a thing? Used that back in the day.
As I recall, at one point in time "Hollywood ran on Linux"

I remember that, Hollywood used their own in-house proprietary applications though

I used to do some music production as a hobby, but most commercial plugins are distributed as magic proprietary DRM software that only has a 20% chance of running through WINE, and unless everyone magically starts using GNU/Linux, it's unlikely any of the companies in charge of those are going to do ports.

Audacity is ok for pure audio editing, but I have had issues with recording with pukeaudio. LMMS runs a lot better than on Windows, but it still has some issues that make it a pain in the ass to use (beat sequences suddenly disappearing in the GUI; time signature changes resize the entire timeline; parameter automation is awkward as fuck). I've only ever tried running other DAWs while running Arch but none of them seemed to work properly.

Kdenlive is about the closest thing to working video production on Linux, but even it has some stability issues. Everything else I've tried is shit. Openshot seems to expect you to slice clips using your mouse alone, and it has random memory leaks that make my computer freeze up after several hours; Shotcut likes to crash for no apparent reason; and both of them have amazingly horrendous performance when it comes to manipulating large clips.

For what it's worth, there's a modified Gentoo distro designed for audio workstations, but I've never tried it:
gentoostudio.org/

Check out supercollider, pure data, vcv rack, foxdot, csound, pyo if you want to make music on linux.
I believe coding music is the linux way of making music. DAW's is the windows/fagos way.

I put most of the Gentoo Studio packages on CloverOS and I'm considering making an optional kernel configured for audio. I might do that today. If there's anything I'm missing or shouldn't overlook, reply.

I agree but I'm not a big fan of existing solutions. Out of the ones I've tried, most of them were built for live performance and the ones that aren't are wonky and clumsy at best. I'd like something like a MIDI file but hand-writable, with more features and some conveniences like macros or reusable sequences. I've been thinking of the features and syntax I'd want for over a year; maybe I'll implement it some day. In the meantime, I'm thinking of using Lua's table syntax to build a toy prototype.

L = instrument{comment='Lead', voice="dave's cool piano 7", ...}R = sound{comment='Rythm', voice='nailsonchalkboard.wma', ...}B = bpm(230) -- or, roughly, seconds(0.26)T = tuning(440, 'a-major')nice_melody = {T, B*2, T+4, B*2, T+4, B, T+5, B, T+4, B, T+3, B, T+1, B*2, T+1, B*2, T+2, ...}song = parallel{ {L, nice_melody}, loop{R, B},}

The tables are flattened where possible, lengths of parallel sequences are checked and a state machine zips through the thing. Hitting an instrument changes the instrument, hitting a tuned note plays the current instrument, hitting a sound just plays the sound, hitting a time value moves forward in time. This is obviously an incomplete example but it shows the gist I think, e.g. there could be objects that cause notes to timestep automatically to reduce the timing (B, B*2...) punctuation.

Peak autism, a site to behold

*Sight

I'd be curious to know how you end up on Zig Forums if you think elementary programming is peak autism.

On second thought, keep doing what you're doing. This is better than a lot of solutions out there. Given the embeddable nature of the language you are working with you could incorporate this notation into a VCV Rack module. That would very a neat thing indeed to have live coding going on at the same time as analog-style patching.

I have never found any music production software on any operating system that I would consider acceptable so I just do everything in Python with numpy/scipy. The reason is that I don't like equal temperament and note frequencies are often hardcoded in audio software. In the few that aren't hardcoded they still don't support changing your fundamental frequency mid-song which is quite limiting.

For the little I need I use gimp for shoops and inkscape for diagrams (or tikz/latex depending what I want). I've heard blender is good with video but never used it.

Zig Forums is for anyone who likes technology, not just programmers.

Sure, but not in the sense of "I like showing off to all my friends", but in the sense of using and understanding technology. And you can't do much with technology without programming it.

Blender is most certainly NOT good with video.

i still use it though because I cant be bothered to lean something else.

Blender is good with video. The problem is you have to operate it in the ways of Blender. You can work very quickly once you've been trained in it but the training effort is quite significant.

kek

I am an amateur composer and video producer. I've been composing my music using LMMS. For video, I've been using Blender.

There's this one guy called ZUN and he has a huge volume of work.

blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
Now supports some major Linux distros.

it pains me there's no good PS alternative
krita is for drawing, pinta is in mono hell (and without the godly paint.NET plugins it serves little purpose) and gimp lives up to its name

update your gimp maybe?
GIMP now has the MyPaint brushes integrated, so it's now more like Krita++

Gentoo studio works fine, I've been using it for about 9 months. I'm mostly using it with Renoise and Supercollider.
I had to tinker a bit with jack but didn't run into any problems, it was easy to install for someone who never used Gentoo.
The distro stays really focused on audio, it comes with software for everything music related from sheet music editing to mastering without taking a general multimedia approach like kxstudio.

is it as unstable and incomplete as Kdenlive? I'd be willing to learn the Blender Way as long as it was a stable and featureful video editing platform

I'm an amateur trained by Youtube so I don't know how well it compares to anything. I don't know what is the professional grade language and techniques for video editing and production. All I know is that Blender video editing is sufficient for little video advertisements, the kind where you have a few video clips clipped together and you have text flying in an out.

I've made music using Ardour (DAW), Hydrogen (midi Drums), and Guitar Rig (VST fx). It all worked great; the PROBLEM was JACK audio. It never saved the configuration properly, so every session began with 5 minutes of routing ports. It was a major impediment.

My Razer Blade 15" came with a free copy of FL Studio and I haven't looked back. It's ridiculously fast and polished, and just a 10x better experience.

i have no fucking clue
blender

I use Ableton for my music production and I refuse to switch to anything else.

honestly JACK sucks, and there should be MIDI bussing in pulse, the problem with that is pulse sucks and alsa sucks and all audio is a hot pile of shit.

I tried LMMS and wanted to kill myself so bad that I pulled out an old machine, installed win 7 + FL Studio

So are all sound servers made for Linux shit?

audio sucks dick on linux, everything sucks dick on linux, kdenlive is the most stable and capable video editor and it's a piece of shit that crashes if you look at it wrong. everything fucking sucks and i refuse to use windows

correct. I don't think pulse will be fixed, the next generation of pulse is pipewire, also redhat, and it's supposed to be a multimedia server, so just running ffmpeg on the root x window to stream desktop to whatever output will not be possible (debatable if this is actually good, and it's needed for any output on wayland) but I haven't seen anything regarding supporting digital multimedia workstation software so soon starting JACK will take out your webcam too.

I think the bad audio and colour APIs are the main reason why adobe isn't on linux. Sucks, but that's just how it is on this gay earth.

sndio is pretty decent

Only on BSD where it can run without ALSA

Here Girls Always Want to Fuck - sex-meeting.com

abandoned but underrated: SEQ24, it did things right. simple, stable, generic midi hardware approach.

most linux DAWs just seem terrible.

this guy is more the right idea with Linux

I like to pick up and use old hardware a lot, and sell it to buy more when I get bored. Best use of Linux for me has been to emulate old OS's so that I can do things like control everything via the MOTU

FWIW I got a Mac book pro from my job, I installed ableton on there and still never use it. Just sits there.

Attached: IMG_2174.JPG (1632x1224, 544.65K)

I kinda dream of making linux a renoise based sequencer and a ardour based harddisk recorder. Like, no plugin bullshit, just midi sequencing, orchestra hit samples, analog synths and lexicon outboard.

Where can I do something like

Try pyo.

It would be awesome to have a ncurses based tracker with vi bindings.

OBS for recording, Kdenlive for editing, and Handbrake for uploading (only used if necessary).

I use Bitwig Studio and Milkytracker alongside some external synthesizers/effects, and about 10 GiB of drum machine samples for music making. Bridging VSTi's over to Linux is not very reliable so unless you work primarily with samples and/or external hardware you probably won't enjoy have a good time.

Speaking of audio.
Why does audio on linux always crackle when I change the volume on a video? Or otherwise?
Why does my headphones pop like a motherfucker when I open audacity to use it with my focusrite sound card? The thing clearly works otherwise.

Attached: 1379249809.jpg (1520x1080, 125.14K)

I remember when I was distrohopping I experienced same issue. Try to remove/install pulseaudio.

If you're on PA, maybe change your module-suspend-on-idle timeout or just disable the module altogether (but read its documentation first either way). If that solves nothing, maybe some settings are improperly set. Sub-optimal buffer size or latency? Not sure why those would cause your problem but check them anyway. On PA, you would look at the buffer and fragment settings. Otherwise, it might just be poor buffer handling on the application's side, especially if you don't use said application's primarily targeted sound server.

Post your specs so I can tell you about how you need better hardware.

Dual boot with an offline Windows 7

more stuff like what this guy says, i too believe coding plus gnu plus linux go hand in hand. someone make a blog style post pls

also incorporate this guy in blog post, idgaf about live performance

BASED as fuck, ur also included in Zig Forumss music blog post

In summary, pls do this guys. I play only acoustic instruments (piano and guitar) and every now and then I go through a spurt of wanting to step up my game and start composing. But I already spend enough time on the computer, and changing my workflow from analogue acoustic instruments to having my nose back in a GUI based computing experience makes me want to vomit. But I want to create, so please come up with a sufficiently comfy solution.

Lastly, I love Boards of Canada, William Ballinski, etc.. So for most of what I’d like to create, electronic fluency is a necessary prequisite. But dear god I just want screen time minimized, and time spent using a shitty GUI interface counts doubly so imo.

I think my issue is that the vast majority of DAWs have really clunky interfaces (i.e. click, or worse, double-click to place a note, click to extend a note or worse, click on a tool to click on the note to extend the note). I'd be interested in a DAW with a vim-style interface.

I done a few simple videos in openshot
The interface is simple and crude.

If you can afford it, build a separate workstation just for your DAW sessions and use a big ass touch screen monitor built into the desk; Ableton and FL Studio both come to mind as having touch screen modes.
Short of that (or in addition to), get a nice MIDI controller. You can perform most recording tasks without ever touching the keyboard or mouse.

i already have a midi, and i’d love to use it. but the software is so atrocious. i’ll look into what you recommend, thanks for the time.

Yes I had a similar problem. There is a nice piece of software that will let you arbitrarily map and route your MIDI data. inb4 shill bome.com/products/miditranslator
I had to use this software to get my Presonus Faderport working with FL Studio.

it's a Poettering-ware specific problem. Never had this problem on Gentoo with -pulseaudio USE flag or in *BSD
Cargo cult way to fix it is by adding
options snd_hda_intel power_save=0
to
/etc/modprobe.d/snd_hda_intel.conf

Attached: poettering-death-choke.jpeg (480x360, 13.27K)

Yes. If it sequences a Moog Modular you could set it up on a screen as big next to it.
There was something like that though (for modern linux), it fails to run on my machine though.

If you can afford it, go analog

Probably not, but airwave is a pretty good bridge for windows (wine) -> linux with jack audio.
I am using pianotech 6, myself and it works really well with carla.

mediafire.com/file/jts36oycyahlxnx/pianoteq_stage_setup_v622.exe/file

I originally posted this in the "private tracker" thread.

Anyway, jack audio is your best asset. ardour is pretty good, etc nondaw is pretty good too. carla is good, everything is good, really, just needs more support and polishing.

i think this is, ironically, the only tech approved way to go here. all the software options are dogshit and my gut tells me they always will be (just my opinion).

what are some cool analog tech things? maybe tape recording some ambient field noises? lol

i mean other than synthesis and acoustic instruments

i really wanna see more musicians workflows examined up close, from people like Boards of Canada and William Ballinski

I'm getting babbys frist guitar in a couple weeks. I can't wait to not install guitarix or any of the other Linux software amps/plugins because jack and pulse absolutely ravage my system any time they come into contact. is right.

Where can I learn the ways of video cuts using Blender? I'm a VirtualDub migrant and for the last couple years I've ended up using ffmpeg to manually and imprecisely cut video by time stamps after tracking in a video player. I want my frame-precise cutting back, but last time I tried Blender it was so confusing I gave up.

Try kdenlive

Attached: 1435306250888-2.jpg (1024x679, 106.39K)

Just donate to WINE so they can create a decent layer where to run your Win32 software. Everything else is a pipedream so far.

Not really viable for live monitoring because of added latency. Best to just have an offline Windows box at that point.

I can vouch that this thing does a better job than Adobe Premier. It supports a wider range of formats than Premier's very narrow support for anything that isn't used for TV/Hollywood. KDen may be unstable, but fuck it does such a better job that Adobe Shitsmeer.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the art software available for Loonix:
Musescore for music notation
Deflemask for a chiptune tracker
Krita
AZPainter

someone please post or link me a video tutorial or example workflow. I am interested in the styles demonstrated in these post:

How so? Just don't use poetteringaudio

Kdenlive is pretty good, but transitions are a hit or miss and idk why it manages basically everything else fine.

Attached: megalomissya.mp4 (720x1280, 3.72M)

Have you tried unplugging it and then plugging it back in?
Sometimes static can ruin audio.

It's all lies you doofus. Except the tracker one. That's a legit autist who thinks ncurses is some kind of usable UI, priceless stuff.

If you're playing a live instrument through an audio interface to record a track in your DAW, through an FX plugin, then routed out to your headphones (live monitoring), you need to have it under 10ms latency or your ear will notice it is out of phase, and you won't be able to play along with drums, and your performance will just generally suck. It's hard enough to get low latency without a virtualization layer, and pretty much impossible with it.

not true (other than the ncurses autist), and it turns out supercollider is my wet dream

hey idiot have you tried supercollider?

Interesting. I used a guitar tablature program back in the day an experimented with adjusting the pitches of notes a few cents here or there to try different termperments. It was ridiculously time consuming and more of a math exercise, but a lot of fun. Haven't heard anybody talk about this kind of stuff before or since I did that and brought it up with that community.

can't you do this in supercollider?

Probably a retarded question, but is there something like a plugin for either GIMP or Krita that lets you open SAI files? I want to ditch wine+Paint Tool SAI and use only foss tools for art but don't want to convert a shit ton of them to PSD.

pleb

tools.suckless.org/blind/

For most people, kdenlive will do the job. If you think you need Hollywood shit, there's DaVinci Resolve

LISPFAGS BEHOLD

>cs.cmu.edu/~music/nyquist/

Program your sounds in a Lisp!

If you can afford it,
go analog>>1009787
youtube.com/watch?v=sfrZQzoC6zs

I can’t, but I think someday I’m going to try to make a stand-alone synth with a Raspberry Pi (or a more performant, lower latency sbc) with custom functions from Super Collider or Nyquist.

The only analogue equipment in my price range is a MicroBrute. But I think I’m happy doing some Lisp hacking in Nyquist for now.

GITDs I swear...

I hated the cacophonous tunes in the Temple OS demos the most.

But I realize that this is a joke post, so yeah.

how hard is it to make a supercollider/csound/nyquist powered raspberry pi semi modular lookin synth box

it also has to have a patch bay

When Terry gives you lemons, you make a delicious lemon sorbet.

Attached: TempleOS Hymn Risen (Remix) - Dave Eddy-IdYMA6hY_74.webm (1280x720, 7.54M)

Its lack of a cache and preview slowness makes it hard to use.