Creative Production on Linux (Audio/Video/Editing)

Eli Cook
Eli Cook

What do you use/how do you cope? Is there any hope for commercial solutions/VSTs that only support Windows/MacOS to get a Linux port?

Attached: music-producer-imac-setup.jpg (82.71 KB, 620x424)

All urls found in this thread:

gentoostudio.org/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
sex-meeting.com

Austin Thompson
Austin Thompson

stop using commercial solutions and support the open source ones.

Josiah Carter
Josiah Carter

Video: Kdenlive
Audio: Audacity, LMMS and Bitwig Studio

Btw are there any DAWs for BSDs?

Adrian Roberts
Adrian Roberts

There's Fruity Loops on macOS :^)

Carson James
Carson James

Is AV Linux or that one av-oriented ubuntu still a thing? Used that back in the day.
As I recall, at one point in time "Hollywood ran on Linux"

Anthony Fisher
Anthony Fisher

I remember that, Hollywood used their own in-house proprietary applications though

Angel Cox
Angel Cox

I used to do some music production as a hobby, but most commercial plugins are distributed as magic proprietary DRM software that only has a 20% chance of running through WINE, and unless everyone magically starts using GNU/Linux, it's unlikely any of the companies in charge of those are going to do ports.

Audacity is ok for pure audio editing, but I have had issues with recording with pukeaudio. LMMS runs a lot better than on Windows, but it still has some issues that make it a pain in the ass to use (beat sequences suddenly disappearing in the GUI; time signature changes resize the entire timeline; parameter automation is awkward as fuck). I've only ever tried running other DAWs while running Arch but none of them seemed to work properly.

Kdenlive is about the closest thing to working video production on Linux, but even it has some stability issues. Everything else I've tried is shit. Openshot seems to expect you to slice clips using your mouse alone, and it has random memory leaks that make my computer freeze up after several hours; Shotcut likes to crash for no apparent reason; and both of them have amazingly horrendous performance when it comes to manipulating large clips.

For what it's worth, there's a modified Gentoo distro designed for audio workstations, but I've never tried it:
gentoostudio.org/

Jose Lopez
Jose Lopez

Check out supercollider, pure data, vcv rack, foxdot, csound, pyo if you want to make music on linux.
I believe coding music is the linux way of making music. DAW's is the windows/fagos way.

Ethan Phillips
Ethan Phillips

I put most of the Gentoo Studio packages on CloverOS and I'm considering making an optional kernel configured for audio. I might do that today. If there's anything I'm missing or shouldn't overlook, reply.

John Watson
John Watson

I believe coding music is the linux way of making music.
I agree but I'm not a big fan of existing solutions. Out of the ones I've tried, most of them were built for live performance and the ones that aren't are wonky and clumsy at best. I'd like something like a MIDI file but hand-writable, with more features and some conveniences like macros or reusable sequences. I've been thinking of the features and syntax I'd want for over a year; maybe I'll implement it some day. In the meantime, I'm thinking of using Lua's table syntax to build a toy prototype.

L = instrument{comment='Lead', voice="dave's cool piano 7", ...}
R = sound{comment='Rythm', voice='nailsonchalkboard.wma', ...}
B = bpm(230) -- or, roughly, seconds(0.26)
T = tuning(440, 'a-major')
nice_melody = {T, B*2, T+4, B*2, T+4, B, T+5, B, T+4, B, T+3, B, T+1, B*2, T+1, B*2, T+2, ...}
song = parallel{
{L, nice_melody},
loop{R, B},
}

The tables are flattened where possible, lengths of parallel sequences are checked and a state machine zips through the thing. Hitting an instrument changes the instrument, hitting a tuned note plays the current instrument, hitting a sound just plays the sound, hitting a time value moves forward in time. This is obviously an incomplete example but it shows the gist I think, e.g. there could be objects that cause notes to timestep automatically to reduce the timing (B, B*2...) punctuation.

Hudson Lopez
Hudson Lopez

Peak autism, a site to behold

John Green
John Green

*Sight

Tyler Stewart
Tyler Stewart

I'd be curious to know how you end up on Zig Forums if you think elementary programming is peak autism.

Christopher Fisher
Christopher Fisher

On second thought, keep doing what you're doing. This is better than a lot of solutions out there. Given the embeddable nature of the language you are working with you could incorporate this notation into a VCV Rack module. That would very a neat thing indeed to have live coding going on at the same time as analog-style patching.

Easton Scott
Easton Scott

I have never found any music production software on any operating system that I would consider acceptable so I just do everything in Python with numpy/scipy. The reason is that I don't like equal temperament and note frequencies are often hardcoded in audio software. In the few that aren't hardcoded they still don't support changing your fundamental frequency mid-song which is quite limiting.

Zachary Thompson
Zachary Thompson

For the little I need I use gimp for shoops and inkscape for diagrams (or tikz/latex depending what I want). I've heard blender is good with video but never used it.

Levi Martinez
Levi Martinez

Zig Forums is for anyone who likes technology, not just programmers.

Charles Kelly
Charles Kelly

Sure, but not in the sense of "I like showing off to all my friends", but in the sense of using and understanding technology. And you can't do much with technology without programming it.

Grayson Williams
Grayson Williams

Blender is most certainly NOT good with video.

i still use it though because I cant be bothered to lean something else.

Samuel Bailey
Samuel Bailey

Blender is good with video. The problem is you have to operate it in the ways of Blender. You can work very quickly once you've been trained in it but the training effort is quite significant.

Aiden Cooper
Aiden Cooper

tech nerds
being "creative"
kek

Gavin Flores
Gavin Flores

I am an amateur composer and video producer. I've been composing my music using LMMS. For video, I've been using Blender.

Landon Wood
Landon Wood

There's this one guy called ZUN and he has a huge volume of work.

Daniel Walker
Daniel Walker

Ctrl+F
no DaVinci Resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
Now supports some major Linux distros.

Carter Moore
Carter Moore

gimped
it pains me there's no good PS alternative
krita is for drawing, pinta is in mono hell (and without the godly paint.NET plugins it serves little purpose) and gimp lives up to its name

Luke Brown
Luke Brown

update your gimp maybe?
GIMP now has the MyPaint brushes integrated, so it's now more like Krita++

Isaiah Martinez
Isaiah Martinez

Gentoo studio works fine, I've been using it for about 9 months. I'm mostly using it with Renoise and Supercollider.
I had to tinker a bit with jack but didn't run into any problems, it was easy to install for someone who never used Gentoo.
The distro stays really focused on audio, it comes with software for everything music related from sheet music editing to mastering without taking a general multimedia approach like kxstudio.

Jordan Bell
Jordan Bell

blender is good with video
is it as unstable and incomplete as Kdenlive? I'd be willing to learn the Blender Way as long as it was a stable and featureful video editing platform

Gabriel Turner
Gabriel Turner

I'm an amateur trained by Youtube so I don't know how well it compares to anything. I don't know what is the professional grade language and techniques for video editing and production. All I know is that Blender video editing is sufficient for little video advertisements, the kind where you have a few video clips clipped together and you have text flying in an out.

Isaiah Cruz
Isaiah Cruz

I've made music using Ardour (DAW), Hydrogen (midi Drums), and Guitar Rig (VST fx). It all worked great; the PROBLEM was JACK audio. It never saved the configuration properly, so every session began with 5 minutes of routing ports. It was a major impediment.

My Razer Blade 15" came with a free copy of FL Studio and I haven't looked back. It's ridiculously fast and polished, and just a 10x better experience.

Jayden Lewis
Jayden Lewis

audio
i have no fucking clue
NLE video editing & 3d models
blender

Charles Miller
Charles Miller

I use Ableton for my music production and I refuse to switch to anything else.

Tyler Collins
Tyler Collins

honestly JACK sucks, and there should be MIDI bussing in pulse, the problem with that is pulse sucks and alsa sucks and all audio is a hot pile of shit.

Levi Ward
Levi Ward

I tried LMMS and wanted to kill myself so bad that I pulled out an old machine, installed win 7 + FL Studio

Austin Sanchez
Austin Sanchez

So are all sound servers made for Linux shit?

Brody Diaz
Brody Diaz

audio sucks dick on linux, everything sucks dick on linux, kdenlive is the most stable and capable video editor and it's a piece of shit that crashes if you look at it wrong. everything fucking sucks and i refuse to use windows

Brayden Diaz
Brayden Diaz

correct. I don't think pulse will be fixed, the next generation of pulse is pipewire, also redhat, and it's supposed to be a multimedia server, so just running ffmpeg on the root x window to stream desktop to whatever output will not be possible (debatable if this is actually good, and it's needed for any output on wayland) but I haven't seen anything regarding supporting digital multimedia workstation software so soon starting JACK will take out your webcam too.

I think the bad audio and colour APIs are the main reason why adobe isn't on linux. Sucks, but that's just how it is on this gay earth.

Kevin Jackson
Kevin Jackson

sndio is pretty decent

Dylan Lopez
Dylan Lopez

Only on BSD where it can run without ALSA

Jordan Taylor
Jordan Taylor

Here Girls Always Want to Fuck - sex-meeting.com

Jace Flores
Jace Flores

abandoned but underrated: SEQ24, it did things right. simple, stable, generic midi hardware approach.

most linux DAWs just seem terrible.

this guy is more the right idea with Linux

I like to pick up and use old hardware a lot, and sell it to buy more when I get bored. Best use of Linux for me has been to emulate old OS's so that I can do things like control everything via the MOTU

FWIW I got a Mac book pro from my job, I installed ableton on there and still never use it. Just sits there.

Attached: IMG-2174.JPG (544.65 KB, 1632x1224)

Juan Anderson
Juan Anderson

<3 renoise

Hunter Bailey
Hunter Bailey

I kinda dream of making linux a renoise based sequencer and a ardour based harddisk recorder. Like, no plugin bullshit, just midi sequencing, orchestra hit samples, analog synths and lexicon outboard.

Juan Wilson
Juan Wilson

Where can I do something like
while(i != a# || cb) if (j == c||a) new harmonicMinor(A).set(1,4,rnd(parentScale),1,5,1,6,7).insertAt(typeof minor || major);

Thomas Morgan
Thomas Morgan

Try pyo.

Josiah Russell
Josiah Russell

It would be awesome to have a ncurses based tracker with vi bindings.

Jaxson Ward
Jaxson Ward

OBS for recording, Kdenlive for editing, and Handbrake for uploading (only used if necessary).

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit