TempleOS General - /tosg/

Just installed this fine piece of software, feels like being digitally baptized.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (640x480, 9.52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/*/templeos.org
archive.org/details/TempleOS_ISO_Archive
youtube.com/channel/UCOFnEi5umi36nay4rppPW9A/videos
templeos.holyc.xyz/Wb/Home/Web/TOSVideos.html#l1
ia600600.us.archive.org/31/items/TerryADavis_TempleOS_Archive/
archive.org/details/TerryADavis_TempleOS_Archive
youtube.com/watch?v=f0cEOs_nunY
templeos.org
185.10.68.133/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Good thread. Have a glow-free first post.

Has anyone riced this thing yet? I like the system but do not like the blinking lights and all the text crawlers. I don't know enough about the system yet to rice it on my own.

If you know C, then you should be able to pick up HolyC fairly quickly.
I think he calls a struct a class, a void is u0, but it's mostly like C.
It's fairly riced enough already. Instead of needing to rely on system calls, which can cost hundreds of cycles, every call is a system call.
The problem is the proprietary video card and peripherals that require proprietary drivers that either need reverse engineered or to purchase an expensive license to their documentation.

yeah by 'riced', I meant more in terms of just the visuals. the first things I wanna do are stop the text crawlers, blinking lights and get enough keybindings to drop the mouse entirely when using it

You should probably check some of Terry's archived videos, I'm sure I saw one where he fucked with the layout

a reminder that the versions released after terry's possible death are backdoored or somehow tainted: there is an archive of clean isos floating around somewhere, beside the older ones.

What is the point of tainting a non-networked os?

i mean its so malleable and lean i know i'll find the code eventually, but yeah thatd be nice. i need to archive everything he put out anyway

what are some of the honest, deep rooted, criticisms of this os design that werent intentional simplifications by terry (vga, sound, no network, ring 0, etc)?

No dark theme.

Terry needed to break down things more for retard-niggers like me to understand if he ever wanted this to become a modern C64. ToS needs to build a community if it wants to thrive. The C64 is straightforward, ToS is confusing and literally schizophrenic.

Attached: commodore-64-original-computer-system_1_9af2ccf2a913eb02bfe88e4a531332b7.jpg (1280x1080, 153.29K)

i miss terry frens

Attached: apu 874.jpeg (700x700 65 KB, 766.61K)

this, i agree 110% with your goals of healthier community and improving documentation and approachability. I'm working on improving the intro holyc and such as i go

The more I use TempleOS the more intrigued I become. I wish he had used a more standard language though, like C/C++. I want something just like it, but with a Lisp playground instead of HolyC.

if I was actually good, I'd start working on something like TempleOS, or even a layer over templeOS, but with a lisp.

You guys should actually try to build a simpler, easier to understand version of temple OS. I work as a programmer and my job is quite intense so I don't do hobby projects, but here are some hints:

1) C is quite complex, I think Terry invented is own language because he didn't want to implement C. Note that according to Terry (and I think this is generally true) the OS should include a compiler and should be "self hosted" i.e. the OS and the compiler should be written in that language.

2) Some variant of lisp should be easy to implement, but that still leaves writing the low level OS code. One possibility is writing a lisp that compiles to machine code. Or using an existing lisp that compiles to machine code.

Yeah, running anything but HolyC on the machine level would be a mammoth amount of work. Something I’d like to do though is reduce a lot of the code that exist in HolyC to barebones basics, build a lisp from HolyC, then reimplement a lot of the user interface stuff in some sort of HolyLisp (I need a bible guy to think of a better name first though). Maybe HolElisp? Lol. Anyway, that’s kinda where I’m at. I’m not super good though and this is mostly just me fantasizing, but I’d like to move in this direction as a hobby.

Tell me, Mr. Professional, if these are worthwhile endeavors: . It sounds fun, but I don’t want to waste my time if something else along the same lines would be way cooler. But to me, it sounds like the most /comfy/ thing to do.

Bump, but with an additional question: what would be the BEST hardware to port TempleOS to, strictly hypothetically? I know it's basically married to x86_64, and that kind of sucks.

He originally written TempleOS for risc arch modern processors convert everything to 64bit instr length anyway so he gave up and rewrote the OS.

You might be able to if you rewrote the compiler and find a compatible display.

WHERE
Can I find ISOs that we’re made before AfterEgypt was removed? And

WHY
don’t you NIGGERS care more about this???

Damn that’s crazy.. I wish i could find the old work he threw away..

Also, requesting link to a full archive of all terry’s streams, quotes, everything - all thing sTerry pls

One of you glowbois write a guide to getting it working in a VM and more people will use it

Attached: 1526947558038.jpg (874x872, 45.56K)

web.archive.org/web/*/templeos.org
I think the ones from 2013-2016 should be safe. In some of the archives the ISO's are downloadable.

There is also archive.org/details/TempleOS_ISO_Archive
but I wouldn't trust it.

Just download one of ISO's and run it VirtualBox. Set other 64bit linux, set hard disk and cd-rom controllers to ide. It runs just fine. Give enough ram.

Just look it up on YouTube and you will get more videos than you have time to watch.

youtube.com/channel/UCOFnEi5umi36nay4rppPW9A/videos
This channel has livestreams too.

AfterEgypt, along with a bunch of other stuff he was working on, is available on the supplemental iso. So you can run 5.03 and still have AfterEgypt, just insert the sup ISO into your VM and copy it into your TOS install.

I'll do this later. It needs a lot more guides and stuff like that written up by community members.

even the livestreams were saved? god bless who ever did that

Terry already many videos about it, you dumb faggot.
You can find them here, templeos.holyc.xyz/Wb/Home/Web/TOSVideos.html#l1

As for the archives:
>ia600600.us.archive.org/31/items/TerryADavis_TempleOS_Archive/
>archive.org/details/TempleOS_ISO_Archive

Old thread:

Terry didn't make this site, did he?

Virtual machine implants to own your host OS.

I'm guessing someone archived his site there.

So I'd like to be able to put TempleOS games on a handheld device similar to a gameboy advance in form factor, but I need help picking out the hardware. There's a few SBCs that are x86_64 bit, like the minnowboard, but I don't want to buy anything without being positive. And I know this will involve some x86_64 assembly programming and such, but it sounds too good to pass up.

Attached: gameboy.jpg (474x327, 13.75K)

It's either the x86_64 option, or stare down the Goliath task of getting TempleOS on ARM, which Terry even advised against.

now THATS epic

TempleOS is non networked, idiot

But the Intel ME with wifi antenna running MINIX inside your processor is.

Attached: tribute to terrry.mp4 (640x480, 9.83M)

prove it

There's this thing called a search engine.

Attached: 99e45971f1d49f23fbdefc255808eb5bd21dc7c25b6fc8864f140d415b133f2f.png (500x347, 41.67K)

Ok, great. Then your argument falls short, bub.

You made the claim so you should be able to spoonfeed every single detail to backup your claim all the way from each premise leading to the conclusion. Otherwise people who make claims will simply say "just Google it".

this, exactly. burden of proof, double nigger

if it runs well enough through qemu virtualization on an rpi, i may do just that

Fuck off CIA nigger.

Attached: terry0ae697a02317fd54a825cf4338abb9fced40a64781c4.webm (640x360, 11.2M)

So what will happen with the OS now? terry did say he finished it before departing from our world. Is it condemned to become abandonware or are other trying to put it to good use somewhere else?

what do you mean? it was always only intended to be used a modern c64 for recreational programming and education. I'm using it for just that. Once I have more interesting work I'm going to go public with my programs and improved documentation, code comments, etc.

thats everything
archive.org/details/TerryADavis_TempleOS_Archive

everything? surely a livestream or two is missing, no?

there is absolutely no reason to use 5.03

as soon as terry died the site administrators started fucking with the releases, on pretty much the same fucking day

that’s so weird, can you expand on this? what do i want to use then (and where do I get it)? Also, what did they fuck with? They admins are Terry’s family I assume?

How about Shrine? Or other releases on github?

Why would you assume that? Last I heard, the people controlling Terry's website were some internet randos styling themselves as "Templars." AFAIK, his family never had anything to do with his online activities or presence.

I assumed that because they added the donation link to mental illness organizations, just seemed like something fam would do. Anyway that’s weird as fuck, but where can I get the non buggered iso files?

i heard that one of them is a furry.

it's real actually. at least amd offers the (possibly fake) option to disable networking on the psp.

Would like to know this too.

youtube.com/watch?v=f0cEOs_nunY

24/7 Terry stream rebroadcast

Shrine is dead; there's another more recent fork called DivineOS

bump

Hail Terry
Hail Terry
Hail Terry

based. furries run the internet.

Attached: 1534107934885.jpg (644x803, 38.9K)

shoo shoo cia jew

It hasn't been really updated since the initial announcement.

templeos.org

TempleOS site is down after the registration was renewed at 2019-03-16T21:36:59Z, according to a WHOIS lookup. The DNS entry for the domain pointed to 185.10.68.133, which is still hosting the site content.

Who controls the domain? Could we get the site back up?

Wasn't tsheikhs handling all of that?

The site is still up... 185.10.68.133/

So how did he died?

What are you actually saying ?

The context switch from user space to kernel space for a system call is usually more expensive than a standard user space function call.

Are you saying everything is in kernel space, so there is no context switch?

Is there anything like that now? I have seen lisp implementations that produce stand alone executable by converting to C, then linking with a gigantic run time for lisp, its comical.
Mapping lisp to machine code is non-trivial.

So is domain name is down I wonder is his site locally hosted and if so is he really dead unless user just copied his site and locally hosting it himself

He got hit by a train supposably

Implying he didn't fake his death so he could escape his discord tranny stalkers.

Escaped to Canada.

i have one on my computer that i downloaded years ago but its not the latest. not sure if i can even trust some random thing thats on the internet now.

idk what version it is tho and im not going to recompile the kernel just to check(i have all vm stuff disabled there because its bloat when i dont need them).

Attached: asf.png (384x263, 20.62K)

wont help you if you dont know what it should be

tħis and also sha1 is considered broken by now.

Is there really no record of a hash in any of his videos or any archived threads on 8ch, 4ch and other sites? Or on the archive of his website?

anyone have the vid of him drawing the elephant and complaining about having too many colours

F

Thanks user, bless you tbh.

Picking up C "quickly" is impossible. It has so many edge cases and undefined behaviours that you end up wasting decades to learn a stupid weenie programming language that sucks. This suckiness carries over to every language inspired by it, including Java, JavaScript, and HolyC.
If you want a real hobbyist operating system written in a real programming language, check out Mezzano. Leave Terrold's weenie ticketmaster trash in the grave where it belongs.
I hear many people talking about their cheese addiction. The thingis that they rarely understand that cheese is truly addictive.I remember back in the day when I weighed 260 pounds and feltmiserable, I lived on cheese. It was a staple in my diet. I bought 2pound blocks of sharp cheddar cheese. I snacked on them, hadcheese sandwiches and smothered my vegetables in cheese.My body ached, I was lethargic and depressed..Thankfully, hypnosis changed my life. I used hypnosis forcheese addiction as well as for weight loss and overall lifestylechange.The result is that today I have a large amount of no desire forcheese. I lost about 115 – 120 pounds and I feel great.My hypnosis for weight loss program can help you too. If you arestruggling with food addiction or just want to lose weight, call oremail me now. Together, no matter where you may live, we candevelop a hypnosis program for you.

Shut the fuck up.

Based

Fuck off, cheesecuck.

Keep talking about dickcheese like the faggot you are.

lmao using C++ generalized bullshit that runs like ass instead of optimizing for native code

Glownigger detected. C was picked by divine choice through Terry.

Attached: 5af335be2742727e9ef309a58b3a23aaf8f74b09cadfb6b03d88e84665e45b40.jpg (1024x567, 65.57K)

In the back of the head?

Does TempleOS use SSE and similar extensions to x86?

This is interesting to consider. I imagine he did use some. When was SSE implemented, in Pentium 3?

I believe so, but they always bring in new version that are supersets of older ones.
They went up to 4, and now the extensions are called AVX.

You guys don't understand the genius of HolyC. It's a unified shell and systems programming language. There is no distinction. If you build a "simpler" language on top of HolyC you're just hiding the system away from the programmer. TempleOS is so great because just by using the OS, navigating directories, making files, etc. you are learning how to write systems programs because there is no distinction between using the OS and writing systems programs. It bridges the gap by unifiying them. Then you can do whatever you want because you know how to program against the system. It's freedom. Locking the programmer inside of a LISP when the rest of the system is written in HolyC is just slavery. Start from the beginning if you want to use a LISP.

Terry was developing the OS for years, as far as I know since the early 2000's. He had to upgrade it for 64-bit, which he did, so I would imagine he would've taken the time to implement instructions for the larger registers.

I've never really been able to break through understanding Terry Davis' TempleOS, not because I was put off by him personally, but simply I found the material mostly inscrutable.

Today, I've become a fair bit better as coding, I've come to understand the basics of operating systems in general, and have an increasing understanding of the hardware itself.

I've spent a few hours watching some of the 'Old TempleOS Videos' and I understand things much more clearly than when I tried before. I'm now planning to set it up inside a VM thanks to this post, and to really start studying it as a side hobby. Thanks user, the timing of this post was really good for me personally!

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES