Old Hardware Thread

Post your retro/outdated computer stuffs
I'll start
Anons in a previous thread mentioned using it as a home server or by installing some kind of linux on it but the tubes have no information pertaining to this particular model.
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attached: TsMEKm6fnj4e1YBB.large.jpeg (600x400 8.12 KB, 57.9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.poettner.de/2013/04/28/installing-debian-on-a-white-imac-g5/
mac.linux.be/content/booting-open-firmware#hard_disk
cnet.com/news/tutorial-installing-classic-over-a-current-mac-os-x-installation/
aliexpress.com/item/cool-fleshlight/32888457329.html
kermitproject.org/archive.html
ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-KX-TA824-Advanced-Hybrid-System-Cabinet-3-Lines-x-8-Station-W-Cover/352536840124
geocities.ws/oldternet/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't have much space to store stuff, but I have kept hardware for reading old media. VHS, film scanner, Zip, optical, floppy readers, misc flash readers, SCSI and IDE cards, etc. One item I wish I had kept was an Apple floppy drive. I didn't realize at the time it was a different format than standard PC floppies.

What are the brands/names of the equipment you have? This is one of my interests but I want to look for things that will actually work for reading/converting old media.

Debian supports ppc so it should just work. blog.poettner.de/2013/04/28/installing-debian-on-a-white-imac-g5/
That's still a lot of computing power, certainly enough to do most things you'd want to do. Compared to an Atari ST 1040 I've found on the side of the road along with it's BW CRT and massive 20MB SH205 hard disk. I've managed to boot it up after replacing power supply and changing bad capacitor in the monitor. Too bad it didn't come with the mouse and pressing keys on the keyboard didn't do anything. I need to repair original power supply and make a mouse interface translator with MCU or FPGA. MCU will probably be enough, unless I don't find PS2 mouse and have to implement usb host which is a pain to do. Sure I could just buy pre-made adapter but where is the fun in that? Cleaning it will also probably take some time as the whole board is caked with what looks like cigarette dust. Previous owner also installed a RAM mod by the looks of it.

Attached: IMG_20181206_212204.jpg (2592x1944, 1.2M)

that is a valid point, although my internet is slow as fuck + thick walls make it even slower. I will check out Debian though, its current OS isnt compatible with fucking anything lol.

Now that is fucking cool! how does it smell?

Not too bad, monitor smells by far the worst (mixture of burnt/heated dust and burnt electronics). There must be something else wrong with it as the built in speaker is also buzzing constantly. Probably more bad capacitors like pic related that I already replaced.

Attached: IMG_20181206_215537.jpg (2592x1944, 572.14K)

It looks incredibly dusty, have you tried giving it a good strong can of air? or maybe wipe it gently with a dry paper towel?

Yes that that pic is after initial cleaning with air. Dust/grime is sticking really well to the surface so mechanical cleaning is probably the only way. PSU looks disgusting. I'm fairly certain that someone probably had an ashtray on top of the PC.

Attached: IMG_20181206_221619.jpg (1860x1902, 662.51K)

with that much shit on it it's a surprise it didn't short out even more components

also a quick question about the imac, I don't have a USB stick but I do have disks, I tried booting ubuntu onto it with the disk drive thats built in but it doesn't read disks unless its on, which at that point it does nothing in terms of OS setup

Is it a PPC (usually as in the picture; the webcam model didn't sell well) or x86 (with webcam)? If it's PPC, I'd keep it as-is to run old Mac software; that's why I have mine. On PPC with the "classic mode" Mac OS 9 sandbox, you can run practically anything Basilisk or SheepShaver would but more accurately and without the headaches, lag and whatnot.

For anything else, the old 2 GHz PPC runs slow and hot due to the architecture. It's an early-to-mid P4 in terms of processing power. A 2005 laptop pulled from a trash container will give you better performance for less electricity.

You did use the PPC version? Standard x86_64 iso won't boot no matter what medium you use. mac.linux.be/content/booting-open-firmware#hard_disk You can try even booting over network, but you'll need to set up a TFTP server.

It's an oldy, no webcam, 17" screen, do you have any links or resources where I can get basilisk and sheepshaver? I can only find anything relative on the macintoshgarden website but even then I cant figure out how to make them work, I think its running OS X, so its a little more dated than say snow leopard or what have you

I think you're conflating a few things, correct me if I'm wrong.

Basilisk/SheepShaver: emulators for older (pre-X) Macs that run on Windows/Linux/OS X
OS X: Term that includes both PPC OS X and the newer and current Intel/x86 OS X

The latest OS X for PPC is 10.4 I believe. What exactly are you trying to achieve right now?

Well at this very moment it has Mac OS X 10.5.8
the processor is 1.8ghz PowerPC G5 with 1gb DDR SDRAM
It is incredibly slow and it is incompatible with many web pages and applications. The only thing I can really think of using it for is 1. emulating old mac games, 2. browsing old BBS/image boards, or 3. installing debian and turning it into a home server, and I know nothing of 1 and 3

am currently running an a6 3650, AMA

For 1, emulation is unnecessary because Apple provided a way to run a bare metal sandboxed OS 9 within OS X PPC. You just need to get a OS 9 directory in the right place to activate "classic mode" compatibility. You'll have to look up how, I'm phoneposting at the moment. 2 and 3 are doable (I think "Ten Four Fox" is the FF rigged up for PPC) but hardly worth the trouble.

The tape stuff is all Sony. Film scanner is Nikon. The other stuff is miscellaneous LG/Samsung/Sony/Teac/Adaptec/Iomega. The flash card reader is some generic $20 job I got from BestBuy that reads CF,Sony,MMC, in addition to SD and micro SD.

there doesnt seem to be much quality information about this, are there any tutorials or ways I can figure out how to make this work?

My understanding is that you need to put the OS 9 "System Folder" in the root of your OS X partition. The following site concurs and provides a more detailed how-to: cnet.com/news/tutorial-installing-classic-over-a-current-mac-os-x-installation/

I have a OS X system that's never seen OS 9 so I'll test it out.

Wash it with isopropanol, its near impossible trying to get dirt off well without a liquid to help pull it away. And use a small toothbrush as well to get rid of ths gunk. Rinse it again with isopropanol multiple times. Its volatile so ot evaporates fast and leaves no residue, so its better than just water

I'm no scientist but i'm pretty sure putting water directly onto/into any electrical device would corrode/fry it. 10/10 Do not recommend

Distilled water then.

I think its more along the lines of "conducts electricity" that will fuck with it famalam
since we're on the subject, if you want to use some kind of electronic/computer for an aquatic application (ex; RC boat/submarine) you can waterproof the circuits and cables by putting on a liberal layer of petroleum jelly when I was a kid I took apart my RC boat and the entire circuit board + propeller shafts were covered in a thick layer of the stuff, so it "should" work

I don't think distilled water is conductive. Besides, even the most conductive material won't do anything if there's no electricity. Just dry it off.

Often times there is still a charge within the capacitors and that could be enough to make it pop and sizzle

Never had a problem with that back when I was repairing TVs, VHSs and stereos. They're pretty tough.

I have an old FX-8350 build. It's practically an antique.

Me too. Don't see a reason to upgrade, I even got cheap ECC Ram.

pics? also how does it run? what are the stats on it?

Should I do it tech? I'll probably rip the guts out to put my hardware in, and use it to run templeOS on real hardware.

Attached: help.jpg (1200x900, 80.68K)

It's on CL for $30.

do it
sounds like good fun + Zig Forums memays + nostalgia

I have so much useless junk accumulated that I've picked up from people throwing them to the curb on trash day. There is no good use for old desktops that can't be done better and more efficiently with a cheap SBC. It's sad really that perfectly good hardware doesn't have a use to anybody. Maybe there's some spic or slav charity I can give it away too. It's probably a waste to give it to Africans.

homebrew botnet?
maybe you can configure it in some way like the enigma machines so that in a post-shtf world you can distribute them to trusted people to communicate securely on

do you any that look like ? I will fly to you and pick it up if so, no joke and no homo

i think i’m gonna, i like the look. easy to gut too since it looks like an ATX standard case

At least you've got PCI slots and might not have to worry about IME, Spectre, and Meltdown.

in all honesty if I had a shitload of old PC's laying around I would probably disassemble them all and try to build a super frankenputer out of them, with several TB from all the stacked HDD with the maximum amount of memory possible and to top it off use any graphics cards to really boost it, and of course use the PSU to the highest degree necessary, the rest I would either sell to like minded individuals online at fair prices or sell for its scrap value (copper, gold, etc)
Thoughts?

If it's used infrequently enough the power usage doesn't really matter from a cost or environmental perspective.

I gave my grandpa a trashpicked 1st gen Athlon about 10 years ago. He still uses it a couple hours per week to check emails and news, and all I've had to do is replace an old gNewSense install with Debian that whole time. All the peripherals are from his old IBM PS/2 model 30. Performance hasn't been an issue because he hates autoplaying vids and uses NoScript. I should probably show him lynx considering he preferred "the DOS way of things".

I spent most of my childhood through college doing this. Just keep it away from your bed if you plan on running at at night and you're golden.

My daily driver is a PDP-11/70 with 4MB RAM, quad RL02s (10MB HDDs), RX02 (dual 8" floppy), and a VT52 terminal. Runs 2.11BSD as god intended, none of this modern Linux or FreeBSD CoCkery.

Daily reminder that your hardware is proprietary if it didn't come with gate-level schematics. Maybe one day I'll upgrade to a VAX...

I collect stuff partly out of some idea of being a sort of preservationist, but mostly out of a backlash from having nothing as a kid. I didn't have a computer until I was 20 years old, and because of that, I still have that same computer (well, its motherboard) running just fine on the other side of the room. I have a laserdisc player, several S-VHS decks, a decent camcorder, but no Betamax decks, and no CED deck. I have Amiga diskette drives, old external Apple diskette drives, a few 1541 drives, branded tape "drives", and more. My asshole relatives junked my $6000 computer collection under the guise of "helping to load the moving truck", as I couldn't get that day off of work to do it myself, and couldn't afford to keep the truck for too many days. I hate them beyond death. I can't afford to recover any of it, as most of it was picked up by sheer accident. I got a complete Amiga 500 and a BIG box of software from the curb because I took a WRONG TURN dropping someone off at home, and saw the system sticking out of a box on garbage night in that neighborhood. And now it's likely buried in pieces in a landfill. Now I collect guns.
But I digress.
Here are some photos of some of what's left. The system with the brown motherboard was my first computer, though originally it had a much stupider case. Lavender and white.

Attached: IMG_20170704_130745.jpg (1836x3264 1.46 MB, 3.03M)

Attached: IMG_20170720_140943.jpg (3264x1836 2.98 MB, 1.26M)

And here's some of what I lost.

Attached: image218.jpg (1200x1600 243.47 KB, 286.26K)

Is that an ATAPI Zip drive with black bezel? I didn't know they even made them in that color. Nice 5.25" floppy drive too. Looks like a highly useful computer.

I would have lost my mind if my family this stuff away.

have a free text post that explains why you are wrong

Attached: FireShot Screen Capture #554 - 'Refuting Freetardism' - digdeeper_neocities_org_ghost_freetardism_html.png (1581x2684, 354.65K)

Yeah. I had a few new Zip disks acquired from Walgreens and other random places when they were being dumped as un-sellable junk a long time ago, and when I got a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver for $10 at a rummage sale, I had to get something for my main desktop to match. Can't have a fucking Mac being the only system with a specific type of disk drive. It's unnatural. It may have THE CLICK OF DEATH. I dunno, but for now, I have it disconnected from power to keep it from getting worse. I can replace belts, clean heads, and replace caps, so if it needs some TLC, I'm capable of providing it.

I'm get fucking enraged every goddamn time I think about it. I wouldn't have brought it up now, if I hadn't in another location last night. The worst part? A friend of mine gave me a box of C64 disks that had software, writing, and artwork created by one of his friends who had died in the early nineties. They threw that out too.
I also collect video games. Never mind that stuff in the pile.

Attached: IMG_20150222_210717.jpg (524x137 1.61 MB, 15.31K)

Nope.

They're all late 90s - 2000s computers, so it's before IME at least.

Even if you built a computer from these using the best parts possible, you would end up with something that's barely usable this decade. There's a method for separating the gold, but I don't know how much you'd get and I'd rather not.

Nobody really wants them, not even kids. They have tablets and phones to do that stuff. Most anything I'd want to use it for would necessarily have to be active most of the time, like a NAS drive, or hosting my own website for the lulz. Only thing I can think of right now, which I might do is built a few machines dedicated to emulating old console games. It's all the rage with normalfags these days, so maybe it'll prevent them from buying the next 'mini' console for 200 dollars.

comrade I am sorry for you, may your new collection protect what remains of the previous

I had to give up almost all of my old computers when I moved. I had a Sawtooth G4 that could boot MacOS9. I saved a Powerbook G4 forgetting it can only do MacOS9 in OSX classic mode. I also got rid of my IDE/Floppy/AGP/ISA motherboards along with my two boxes full of cards. I had boxes stacked to the top of my closet both inside and outside. At least now I can open the closet door to get inside. :^)

the simple fact along that you collect funs and computer stuffs is enough to assure me that the hive mind exists, tell me user, what do you think of the JQ?

may your old Zig Forums find rest in robot heaven, sometimes change is good>>1005787

That's the plan. It is my goal to be able to transcode media and data, and archive it more permanently. Alas, I don't live in an area where rare shit pops up, so it's not like I'll have the source code for unreleased Amiga games or something, but still, it's nice to be able to take files from a disk that nobody else can access, and upload them or put them on a memory card or something. Not that these abilities are ever needed, as most people with ancient computers and disks are dead, and their offspring don't care about that book Grandpa was writing on his Packard Bell, or the poetry great aunt Catherine was working on. Other artifacts in my collection include very old cameras (the kind you likely have to make your own film for), and a shitload of VHS tapes. Also the aforementioned video games.

My Quicksilver could boot OS9, I guess, if I pulled the hard drive that has too high a version of OS X on it to go back, but I would rather have my old iMac back, because I had put OS9 onto it. Still, it was a bit of a boat anchor, and a computer without a built-in monitor is more convenient to lug around, and store. My only spare motherboards have capacitor plague, and aren't capable enough to be of any real use even if I recapped them. I mean, what good is a 1.2GHz computer now? It's not old enough to be period-appropriate for classic games, and not new enough to be super-useful it stuff like dicking around on the web, since Cloudflare blocks older browsers, and backs damn near every site. My closet has about a hundred pounds of old media in it, as it stays cool in winter and summer. I don't dress nicely enough to need a closet for keeping my clothes orderly and wrinkle-free.

𝕳𝖊𝖎𝖑𝖊𝖉!
The Valkyries have smiled upon your post. Let us just say that I have had more than enough poor experiences with being denied home loans for no valid reason (my job letting me pay $50k in rent is not stable enough to pay back a loan of $20k, for a home I would be living in and paying a lower mortgage payment than my current rent is), and I have seen firsthand what forced diversity brings to a large business. Goddamn distress and misery for everybody with an IQ above fever temperature.

Attached: IMG_00000206.jpg (3264x1836 1.05 MB, 1.08M)

you and I are one in the same
may the gods smile upon us in the tumultuous years to come and may we have funs, freedom, and all the oldie but goodies tech stuffs imaginable
Gott Mit Uns Bruder!

I don't necessarily disagree with that article on the whole. I just think that the relevance of the "four freedoms" is diminished by the sheer size and complexity of modern software. In 1986 users were for the most part still expected to be programmers, and it was still possible to understand the entirety of your computer if you took the time to study it. Read the rest of that guy's site and you'll probably come to the conclusion that microprocessors were a mistake.

I didn't get rid of everything, but I did have to prioritize. My computer hardware is down to a 5 shelf edsal rack. My closet has no clothes and is completely full of banker boxes and consoles with decades of various media and games. My NTSC CRT TV set, VHS, and Wii are stacked on my dresser. My brother had no room in his place for some of my dad's old stuff so I have a tube amp and speakers sitting underneath my computer desk with old laptops sitting on top. I can't even put my legs all the way under, but I just cant part with my dad's dynakit.

For me, it's all about being able to access old media. I have quite a bit of MacOS (not macOS) software that belonged to my dad. Unfortunately MacOS emulators are in a very poor state. To further complicate things, MacOS spanned 68k and PPC.

I screencapped most if not all of his posts, I haven't read them all yet but I do agree, it was mentioned that Power PC processors were essentially the peak of high-tech high-security processors, things have now switched to super-tech low-security, at least in the case of "if they wanted to, they could", to my knowledge old PPC processors physically couldn't have a back door, because they were just too simple

Hmm, true, I suppose. My main system (the one with all of the disk drives) was built around 2008 or so, and while it's a pain that it's only fit for DDR2 and maxes out at 8GB, it works with a lot of hardware, making it rather useful. I keep forgetting that my system is within the interim category of "not classic" and "not modern". I find myself hunting for mid to late-nineties Macs, not only to replace the ones I had, but to bridge the gap between the newer and older systems. HFS formatting a SCSI HDD for use in a Mac Plus takes a particular set of equipment that I now lack.

Sorry to see you lost so much of that. With how hard most of those machines are to find in the wild, and with how much the retro reseller bubble has grown it must be painful to try rebuilding that collection.

Attached: atari st.png (480x360, 231.4K)

it's an "8 core" processor that is slower than most quadcores

I have the G4

All you need is a SCSI PCIE card with the right backward adapter and hfsprogs on Linux. The floppy disks are more of an issue because you can't read them on regular PC floppy drives.

Indeed, I'm still angry about it even now, and that happened almost ten years ago. The thing that's really irking me is that in the past five or so years, the price of 3.5" FDDs has skyrocketed. New old stock seems to have completely dried up, and "refurbished" drives ar going for ten times what they used to, if not more. Hard disk drives under 20GB tend to cost a relative mint as well. Everyone on Vogons keeps saying "use a CF card adapter", but that seems like a shit solution for any OS that uses virtual memory.

I'll keep that plan in mind. I was wondering if my PCI SCSI card would work in the G4 Mac I already have, but that sounds like a better idea, as I have a ratty Dell system that would work well enough in hosting it for that purpose.

My current computer inventory:

8 BIT
Atari XE GS that locks up when RETURN is pressed in the BASIC environment. Could be a BASIC ROM issue, but replacing it is likely not going to happen.
Commodore 64c in good shape, but will not be used until a not-shitty power supply is acquired. Multiple BAD Commodore power supplies are in my closet, and each can kill a PLA chip in no time flat. The retard engineers thought it would be a good idea to make a supply that overvolts when it fails, and then to encase the fucking thing in a brick of epoxy so it cooks itself to death. I have two "dead" C64s because of this issue. Not sure about my four 1541 drives.
Tandy CoCo 2 with only one cart, Downland. People want $20 for the first game I played on it, Mega Bug, but I don't $20-want Mega Bug.

PORTABLE
IBM Thinkpad 760E, broken display. Some pothead stepped on it while I was running a surface scan of the hard drive. It rests in the basement until the day I can find replacement parts and also am not living on crackers and tap water.
Toshiba Satellite A205. Garbage. A useless machine so stripped down by the manufacturer that if it were a car, it would have a crank start.

DESKTOP
Unbranded 486 66MHz system. Needs a DALLAS RTC chip operation before I will bother adding stuff to it.
Unbranded Pentium 60MHz system. Same DALLAS issue.
Packard Bell Legend 300 CD in PRISTINE condition. No yellowing, no dust. Needs a DALLAS operation, too. Drove across the state to pick it up, and I never even use it...
HP Vectra D2933A 486 66XM, my go-to Windows 3 box. Needs a new hard drive, but is otherwise a decent machine. See attached images.
AMD K6-2 desktop, my first computer, operational
Dell Inspiron 530, typical disposable Dell junk.
Core 2 Quad desktop, my current system

APPLE
Power Mac G4 Quicksilver running OS X 10.3.5 I think
Mac Plus, unknown specifications, former school computer, likely bad caps, cannot open it without a long-blade T15 driver, which I have yet to source.

Just some of the systems that were junked without my knowledge or consent:
Amiga 500 (complete with printer, monitor, and large number of disks)
Amiga 1000
Commodore monitor
Commodore 64 (x3) (along with irreplaceable content I was preserving for a friend)
Apple ][
Apple iigs
Apple III (didn't know these existed until I found one at a flea market)
A bevvy of Mac systems, including an LC2 and some Quadra models
Multiple AT&T Globalyst systems
Packard Bell 386 and 486 compact desktops
Pentium-era Dell and Gateway (2000) systems
Atari 5200 (4 controller) in good condition
Tandy Color Computer 2
Tandy 1000
Tandy 1000 RLX

Attached: s-l1601.jpg (640x480 48.74 KB, 14.55K)

Disconnect from the botnet and suddenly it's usable again and will be until it breaks. No working part is always worth more than its gold value, even a 64MB SDRAM stick or a shitty Celeron will get you $5-10 on ebay.

*A working part is

don't let your dreams be dreams aliexpress.com/item/cool-fleshlight/32888457329.html

I was half-assedly trying to get one stateside so I wouldn't have to wait a month for a plastic envelope from China, and since I only need a T15, I'll keep costs low and just hunt for a single driver/bit. Annoying that the handle alcove is so badly designed that I can't fit a regular T15 driver into it.

this isn't chink shit general?

I used to have tons of stuff but really slimmed down over the years. What I have online now is a //e, a CoCo2 (My 1st computer),TRS80 Model IV, and a few XTs. All have modems and all have KERMIT. I have a PPC mac running NetBSD and it also has a modem running C-KERMIT.
All the modems are connected to an old key style Panasonic EASA Phone PBX so they can call each other. It makes moving files around between systems easy and I can dial in to the nbsd machine and then telnet/ssh/irc out from there. Been playing with CP/M22 on the //e with a Z80 softcard and M4 lately. Reading up on UUCP now so I can have emails move through my "network".

Attached: IMG_3726.JPG (3264x2448 1.32 MB, 1.65M)

Sounds really cool
Can you tell us more

Well KERMIT is really what ties everything together.
kermitproject.org/archive.html

With that you can exchange files between anything that can speak RS232. I started off with RS232 switchboxes and crazy adapters trying to link everything to move files around.
With the PBX its all automatic. I can use a modem on one machine to dial any other machine. The PBX has FXS jacks that act just like a real a real lineline with correct voltages. They generate dialtone and ring. So you can use any standard modem.

If I want to call the NetBSD machine from the //e I just tell the //e to dial "101". The PBX routes the call to 101 and sends ring voltage to the mac's modem. 100% like calling a modem over real landlines. It answers the call just like it would a normal call.
You can find old PBX's for almost nothing now because everyone is going to ViOP. Just make sure it supports analog SLT/"Single Line Telephones". I snagged mine from a recycling center. The KX-TES824 is the last version that supports old SLT devices.

Attached: item_XL_4598758_1148648.jpg (480x640 70.84 KB, 44.35K)

Nice. I was considering getting one to get my Dreamcasts online, but fucks in my area want hundreds for them and don't provide any information about exactly which one they're selling.

It's probably not a big deal to use CF/SD cards in machines that old, even if they do use page files. After all, newer devices like windows tablets and SBCs use a similar grade of flash memory or even SD cards with decent reliability despite writing way more to disk in the form of virtual memory than any of the old machines would ever need to. Plus, it's great for quick file transfers if those machines aren't networked or the NIC drivers are borked. I think it is possible to get around disk size limitations with certain software, but I have absolutely no experience with that and therefore can't comment on its utility or reliability with any confidence.

I've been keeping my eye on some of those 8-bit and 16-bit micros, but it for some reason it seems cheaper to go for some of the odder and rarer ones like the SX-64 if you want a complete system with a disc drive. For reference- a regular C64 seems to be going for $60-$100 with a PSU, and the 1541 I've seen go up to $125 with the necessary cables and the manual. This is by no means definitive, and you can likely find better deals with a little patience and dedication. I suppose finding the missing parts I need to put together an AMD DX2-66 machine could also put a dent in my wallet- as the necessary motherboard, case, power supply, as well as keyboard and mouse are going to add up to a potentially substantial amount.

What do you have to say about your working machines in terms of what they're good for? In particular the 486s, and the K6.
as for my collection- nothing too interesting. just some p3/p4/athlon era machines, a couple of core 2s, and a g3 iMac with a dying optical drive

If you can find chink shit computers/game systems from before 2000 or so, go ahead.

Is there anything specific you do to convert those bitmaps into a format usable by the Apple II?

Attached: futureintro.webm (640x480, 12.15M)

If you are willing to spend money I would just get an 824 then.
ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-KX-TA824-Advanced-Hybrid-System-Cabinet-3-Lines-x-8-Station-W-Cover/352536840124

Dreamcast -> PBX -> *nix machine with modem running pppd -> internet.

I just convert them to gif then kermit them to the //e. "iigif" is the a2 image viewer I use.

all of the arguemnts i read in that pic are extremely easy to dispute, the author's an idiot and im not even a freetard

Fuck the PSU. Build your own, or buy a newly-fabricated one, or your C64 will be dead in a hurry.
The 486 is good for DOS games, and testing to see how far backward recent hardware can be pushed. I use a USB optical mouse (with that omnipresent PS/2 adapter), and a super-slim PS/2 keyboard, as well as an LCD monitor. Yeah, it's a purist's nightmare, but it makes it easier to use. I also use it to test the website I run for all of a handful of visitors; The Homepage of the Oldternet.
geocities.ws/oldternet/
Most of what I have there are wallpapers and icons I've been making, but I may also use it to host ROMhacks (since Nesticle seems to be able to us them, amazingly) and anything I produce in Visual Basic 3, which I was trying to install when I found the HDD had more bad sectors than previously known.
The AMD system was my first computer, so I will keep it alive until I die. I use it for testing Win9X-specific stuff, as well as ISA and PCI cards, since it's less of a pain in the ass to use than my older computers with their ten ton cases and brittle locking mechanisms. I used to use it for digital art (attached) about 20 years ago, as well as for making textures and maps for Quake II. Nothing particularly impressive, mind you, as I was always too impatient to be a perfectionist, and Qoole was a TERRIBLE mapping tool, in spite of its simple interface.
Both of these systems are Internet-capable, though Cloudflare blocks the browsers that they can use, limiting which sites I can actually browse. It's nice looking at old sites in an old browser, in a room with a lot of old decorations, media, and technology in it. I always wanted to make a room that was 1986, with wood panel walls, shag carpet, decorated mirrors, a floor model Curtis Mathes color TV set, fireplace, touch-activated-lamp with a three-way bulb, bookcase full of scifi and fantasy novels from the fifties and sixties, an Atari 2600 and a dresser drawer full of loose carts, and more period-appropriate stuff. Just a nice hideaway in the past, with no Internet, and the only LCD is on the giant calculator on the desk.

I'll keep an eye on it, should my fortunes reverse.

Attached: cg003.jpg (800x640, 65.29K)

Give me some of your old hardware ideas.
Here are mine.

There is mercury inside CRTs? I know there is lead and phosphors, but mercury? As far as I know there is only vacuum inside the tube. Phosphor coating on the front is what emits light.

Do what suggested and make sure you're using a PowerPC build of Linux. PowerPC Macs are completely incompatible with x86 operating systems and software. Try using the ppc64el build of Debian.

I use a 5th gen iPod with the HDD swapped for 512GB of microSD and a new battery, flashed with rockbox.

Attached: IMG_20181208_102650.jpg (3120x4208, 3.19M)

the fuck is this chink shit faggot

What counts as "old hardware"? More than 10 years old (i.e. any pre-Core-i system and contemporary components/peripherals)?

To dodge Spectre you'd need to go as far back as a Pentium MMX 233 MHz. Not much use in such a system in #currentyear.

Fuck you faggot.

If installing XP to a Core 2 system, is there any point at all in bothering with getting it to install/run with the SATA controller in AHCI mode, or should one just stick with IDE mode?

Keep hold of it. I just bought a new FX-8350 to build a new system with. It's still got plenty enough grunt for most applications, and it's the last (practical) desktop processor before AMD followed Intel and kiked their chips with PSP. There is the FX-9xxx series of course, but with mental 220W TDP and water cooling mandatory, I don't consider them a viable solution. Beyond that, the only possible non-botnet upgrade is Opteron server hardware (which I'll probably acquire when used prices drop sufficiently).

fuck you cocksucker!

speaking of ipods and mp3 players, do any of you know what kind of ipod snake had in the metal gear series? yknow the one with the spinny circle? I can't seem to find one that fits the bill

Attached: boomer meme shoot.webm (480x270, 1.11M)

unless you have at least a SATA2 chipset with an SSD don't bother - AHCI is best left to win7

Attached: druaga1.jpg (1280x720, 81.17K)

What if you'd like to multi-boot XP, 7, and a few contemporary Linux/BSD systems? Three options present themselves

What's the best ATA HDD producer? My 15 year old laptop's hard drive finally gave up the ghost.

mSATA > IDE

t. T22, T23, M40 and M50 all with mSATA SSDs converted to IDE with pic related.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x257, 11.89K)

With that being said, don't bother spending boatloads of money on a mSATA SSD, something like a 120GB Kingston UV500 will suffice.

I didn't know these were a thing. Thank you.

I daily a powerbook g4. user you're (probably) running macOS 10.4, maybe 10.5. If you're running 10.5, it may be faster on 10.4. There's all kinds of things you can do with them, other than run debian.
LibreOffice is still supported.
So is TenFourFox, and if that's too slow try out Camino, which is unsupported (security vulnerable possibly, beware) , but super fast on PPC and does well with low-JS websites.
Also, Halo 1 and 2 run natively on them.
Man, I'd kill for a G5. My dream is to get one of the Dual Core ones and have a macOS/ Gentoo dual boot.
I'm currently looking towards a GNUstep build on my g4. I think I'll just start with Debain, but after I get the hang of it I'm gonna do a BSD kernel. Supposedly, there was a GNUstep on Darwin project once upon a time. Now that would be cool.

You did smash cmd+"c" as you were booting, no? If not, look up some quick OpenFirmware commands and boot into that. Fun fact, OpenFirmware is written in Fourth and you can run any Fourth command from the OpenFirmware shell.

There is no "classic mode" for anything newer than a g3. However, you can run SheepSaver at near-native performance because it is still PPC. Also, in terms of heat, new thermal paste and maybe a fan-mod will go leagues towards improving performance and sustainability.

10.4 was PPC. 10.5 was PPC and Intel. Actually, on any 10.5 mac is binaries for PPC _and_ Intel. Including every program! How wasteful!

Lots of mid-2000s games had mac ports that will run great on it. Many have been forgotten about. Try to look for really old (>2006/7) forum posts.

Do NOT use just any isopropyanol alcohol. Either use distilled water, which has a 0% chance of fucking with anything (>>1005556 is talking out of his ass), or use a very, very pure ethanol alcohol. Never, ever use denatured alcohol. Many store-bought cleaning alcohols have additives making them toxic to humans, so you throw them up before the alcohol kills you. These added toxins leave residue on electronics that can really fuck with things, especially where contact is made. Water is the best cleaning solution for powered-off electronics. Just dry it with a towel/ hair dryer (beware of heat exposure).
t. A guy who's broken a lot of shit by doing stuff the wrong way

First gen iPods had a mechanical spinner wheel instead of a touch wheel.

can you post a pic of one, preferably black, i knew someone who had one a long time ago and ive been looking for one that matches it (it also had the mechanical spinner) and everything coming up on google is either just buttons or the touch wheel

it is currently on Mac OS X 10.5.8
do you know of any good resources/tutorials? like specifically how to install basilisk and sheepshaver and also where to find said games, currently i only know of macintoshgarden