Emacs and RSI?

Owen Fisher
Owen Fisher

Can any other Emacs users comment on this... I started using emacs around this summer because I started studying Scheme a little. Now I'm using it full time especially after discovering org mode.
Lately I've been having pain in my left hand thumb and pinky. No so much in my right hand. Any one else have RSI type problem with emacs?
I think I'll switch back to vim for a while and see if it clears up. yes i know about evil. I just want to see what and how much I'll miss

All urls found in this thread:

ergoemacs.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html
github.com/atlas-engineer/next

David Flores
David Flores

RSI is purely psychological. Please send me all the money you'll spend on useless widgets, doctors etc. Thanks.

Ayden White
Ayden White

Well being that the only money I'm going to spend is in switching back to vim or installing evil I'll send you a grand total of $0.
Where to send?

Dylan Hernandez
Dylan Hernandez

If you're using Emacs with the default ctrl position on a PC keyboard, you'll become a cripple. Bind that shit to caps lock.
Your pinky isn't designed to always be thrusting at 120deg + 90deg angles away from the rest of your fingers. Use it very sparingly.

Juan Long
Juan Long

xcape
github.com/alols/xcape

Jordan Ward
Jordan Ward

This. I use the CTRL key in Vim very often as well (in insert mode) and rebinding the useless Caps Lock is a life saver. That position is also where the CTRL key used to be when vi was originally designed.

John Bell
John Bell

Swap caps-lock with control:
setxkbmap -option caps:ctrl_modifier

Place this on your .xinitrc or equivalent. Alternatively, use the right ctrl more, it takes some time to get used.

Luis Adams
Luis Adams

Nope. As a gaymer my hands have adapted to contort into any position that's needed. Maybe you need to start using an emacs pedal.

David Barnes
David Barnes

Use evil mode

Noah Roberts
Noah Roberts

This is the keyboard Emacs was design for. Notice the position of CTRL.
Either swap Ctrl and Alt or Ctrl and CapsLock.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (2.33 MB, 2001x773)

Gabriel Flores
Gabriel Flores

Alt is Ctrl, Win/Super is Alt, and Ctrl is Win/Super.

remove mod1 = Alt_L
remove mod4 = Super_L
remove control = Control_L

add mod1 = Super_L
add control = Alt_L
add mod4 = Control_L

Jaxson Bailey
Jaxson Bailey

Yep. When I was a child and I got my first computer, an Apple IIgs, the control key on the keyboard was where an IBM PC caps lock is. I always thought that was fucking retarded, who even uses caps lock?

Jaxson Flores
Jaxson Flores

rub out
oh baby that space cadet board, but it's so retarded in its way, the absolute state of the cursor keys and the roman numeral keys, lol

Kevin Hernandez
Kevin Hernandez

There is the occasional time I need to type ALL_CAPS, but I have simply mapped it so that pressing both Shift keys at the same time acts as Caps Lock. It's much harder to press by accident, and it leaves the physical Caps Lock key to be remapped to something useful (e.g. CTRL). Pressing both Shift keys is a bit less convenient, but considering how rarely I use it, the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Ethan Gray
Ethan Gray

Did consider giving Xah's ergo emacs bindings a try?

Attached: ErgoEmacs-mascot.png (137.57 KB, 720x591)

Jordan Butler
Jordan Butler

Tell that to my nerve conduction study retard

Jaxon Perry
Jaxon Perry

user people who are catatonic do not respond to stimulus. When they are tapped on the knee they do not react.
Do you think their knee nerve is damaged?

Colton Cook
Colton Cook

New studies show that there's no inflammation of tissue in RSI patients. Instead, there's degeneration of tendon tissue, caused by chronic overstressing (tendinosis).
Constant overstressing damages collagen fibers - if there's not enough time for regeneration, not enough collagen in high enough quality will be produced. This causes the aforementioned degeneration and a lower resilience of the affected tendons, which produces RSI symptoms.
Purely psychological, yes.

Attached: 1512072882001.jpg (134.64 KB, 940x528)

Cameron Foster
Cameron Foster

Chording is pretty stressful, compared to modal style editor like vi. If you're going to continue using emacs, better start using the vi keybindings add-on, whatever it's called. You can swap CapsLock and Escape key, to make it more comfy. Here's .Xmodmap entry:

remove Lock = Caps_Lock
keysym Escape = Caps_Lock
keysym Caps_Lock = Escape
add Lock = Caps_Lock

In the tty console, it depends on the OS, but here's wsconsctl.conf for OpenBSD:

keyboard.map+="keysym Caps_Lock = Escape"

Also set your keyboard repeat delays to whatever is the least stressful for you. You'll have to experiment.
Take lots of typing breaks, and look into ergonomic keyboards. Your body is giving you warning signs of damage. Ignore them at your peril.

Michael Butler
Michael Butler

Better yet, Spacemacs.

Evan Carter
Evan Carter

Or even better, just use God-mode.

Adrian Myers
Adrian Myers

Any one else have RSI type problem with emacs?
no, it's just you. remap caps lock -> control, or something?

no, spacemacs is terrible. it's better to just use gnu emacs as it has been around for a long time and it won't just become discontinued, unlike meme distributions of emacs, like spacemacs,.

Hunter Lewis
Hunter Lewis

free open source addon with a development community
discontinued

choose one

Chase James
Chase James

All I can say is type properly.

Move your whole hand to press control with the bone at the base of your pinky. This is very comfortable and fast once you're used to the position.
Control on caps lock is a bad idea, it makes some keys hard to press and isn't symmetrical. You should always be using the modifier on the other side of the keyboard from the modifiee. If you're one of those people who doesn't use right shift, start now.

Jack Walker
Jack Walker

You're a fucking retard.

Jason Lopez
Jason Lopez

I can type all day with this method and have never experienced any discomfort.
It's also preferred by the great Emacs autist.
ergoemacs.org/emacs/swap_CapsLock_Ctrl.html

You would be amazed at the amount of people that complain about keyboard layouts or bindings but can't actually touch type. That seems like a prerequisite before one can start making a proper critique.

Jack Clark
Jack Clark

nobody who moves ctrl to the spot usually occupied by caps lock can touch type
see how retarded you sound?

Ryder Flores
Ryder Flores

I didn't say nobody, I said you'd be surprised how many can't.

Noah Cook
Noah Cook

that was me until I learned Dvorak.
Easiest way to learn Dvorak was to do typing exercises according to a guide online. The most natural way to do those exercises was to type properly. Before that I had a completely ad-hoc style, 100+WPM but born of just needing to type fast in online games kids these days with their always-on mics
Dvorak sucks but it cured me of the painful way I used to type.
Just, uh, be prepared to have your qwerty muscle memory physically overwritten. Maybe get some qwerty typing exercises prepared, for after you're comfortable with dvorak.

Brody Murphy
Brody Murphy

Easiest way to learn Dvorak is to not learn Dvorak.

Nathan Roberts
Nathan Roberts

What about evil mode?

meme distributions
what?

Brody Lee
Brody Lee

For a moment, I read "Emacs and RSSI" and thought that Emacs now also incorporates a WLAN client.

Aaron Howard
Aaron Howard

Did someone try next browser (web kit gtk+)? github.com/atlas-engineer/next
It seems to be functional, but very early in development.
not entirely unreasonable

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit