Home security system

Can anyone give me a rundown on making my own home security system? I was just going to hook a bunch of old usb webcams into an Rpi, is this less efficient than using power-over-ethernet cameras or analog cameras?

Specifically I need a system that can more or less run at least ten years without any maintenance, with my biggest concern being power draw. I'm not too concerned about image quality because from the start I've already decided on black/white only imaging.

Attached: TdNdeoP9c3dB1qcgGP14T9hx.jpeg (400x510, 15.89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blueirissoftware.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=CouxmNqxO4A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

just get cameras that dont work just look like they do. no need to waste money.

That won't flow because I need video footage of myself to prove my presence in certain places at certain times. This is done so in the future people can't say I fucked off to miami or whatever when I was supposed to be doing something else.

well you can just fake the footage and put a fake time stamp on it. people are stupid.

FFmpeg recordings using USB cameras, with a timestamp overlay.
This is one of the few times you should just bite the bullet and get a camera setup that works offline, then firewall it.
Most big name shit cameras don't work without access to botnet, so avoid those, but the other big names like dahua and hikvision do work without botnet.
Any pre-made sets are preferable to rolling your own, as they have perfect pixel overlay for the date/time, which also changes the colors of the pixels comprising the text according to the brightness of the background image.
Somehow they introduce the overlay into the encoding stream in such a way that the encoder never blurs the date/time, which can be used for authentication.

The counter is you may not roll your own firmware, in which case you're buying a camera with free botnet installed.
The firmware/software is usually terrible, and poorly updated.
Just think of how many videos you've watched of people recording CCTV screens for some event - because it's not easy to transfer/manipulate recorded footage.

Blue Iris
blueirissoftware.com/

They're chinks, niggers, spics, poos, and women.
It's piss easy to export the videos from midrange setups, as proven by the numerous uploads from white people of niggers thieving and abusing whites.
Firmware is a major issue, but there's no problem if it's locked down.
The legal aspects also favor having a "name brand" recording over something you could have configured in such a way as to allow you to alter the footage.

The pi cameras has really good image quality
There is a os for Pi called motionpie

Attached: tumblr_nztijpGiWR1qj6dono1_1280.png (960x466, 226.74K)

you can use power-over-ethernet for a pi. there's shields for it and you can even do it for a pi zero if you so wanted to.

was meant for
fucked up because tor

Use motion only store images no videos save a ton of space

I know Zig Forums will hate this suggestion, but just get a network motion detection security cam with free cloud storage. If you seriously care that much about your empty porch/yard being monitored by glowniggers then... don't.

Look at all these monkeys

Attached: download (1)

Does anyone actually know how usb cams stack up against other camera types? Like power draw, reliability, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=CouxmNqxO4A
This video might be something to consider

ffmpeg can multiplex mjpeg streams together. Get a set of cheap POE cameras, and on a server, multiplex 1 hour + 1 extra minute of feeds into a single timestamped file for overlap. You can do this using cron at the beginning of each hour, also use the 'find' command to delete files older than x number of hours.

Against IP cameras? USB 2.0 is left in the dust with its 480 megabits per second max throughput. USB 3.0 is competitive with is 5 gigabita per second max throughput.

Another factor to consider is that the physical transmission restraints often associated with Ethernet, and USB. Ethernet almost always is a balanced signal on a twisted pair, and can be rebuffered by switches. USB can not be rebuffered easily, and its signial is often unbalanced. Of course, this is ignoring video over twisted pair, which uses baluns to balance the analog or digitial video signal for transmission to an encoder. Hypothetically, USB serial can be given the same treatment.

Put Motion on an SBC and have fun. It's stupid simple.

Neither a Raspberry PI nor a webcam is going to last a decade of regular usage, though.

That's a bit dumb because a good picture would help the cops identify a criminal.

lmfao what kind of shit physical security do you have?

If you only wish to use it for proof, you can opt to cheaper wifi cams, with mobile app then you can give the logins to whoever it is that wants to monitor you, lol.

What if OP is indoors 100% of the time and all he wants is an early warning system to cops spooking on him so he has time to destroy the evidence on his storage devices containing definitely legal content?

Why the hell would they say you were in Florida and why do you care