Is water flossing a meme?

A friend of mine (middle-aged housewife) was preaching to me about the merits of oil pulling. I wasn't pulled into the scam, but it did get me thinking about the physical process of a kind of viscous fluid going through the gaps in my teeth and wondered about water flossing. Certainly, it would be cheaper than those disposable floss thingies or even just traditional floss string–especially for someone like myself who flosses as much as I brush my teeth, three times a day. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, somewhat related, what about electronic toothbrushes. I saw those on sale a while ago but didn't give it much thought. I previously had one, but it broke, recently, so I've just been going manual. Is there any discernable benefit that isn't just anecdotal? Any dentists on this board?

[tor users can't post images]

Other urls found in this thread:

gizmodo.com/5987823/can-drinking-cure-your-cold
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it certainly feels better than jamming a string at your gums.

whenever i use it, I get a whiff of what bad breath smells like. so it's cleaning out some serious shit in there at least

Try colloidal silver as a mouthwash
Leaves your mouth super clean

exactly what I expect a discussion on tech to be

Oil pulling isn't a scam, although the mechanism may be different than the one usually described.

You sound like the average autistic bootlicking retard who wont investigate anything that isn't fed to you except by the government.

Are a meme. More likely to abrade your enamel down to the core than keep your teeth any cleaner than a regular brush.
Take up a lot of space and are loud as fuck. Not really a scam but the disposable floss picks are what I'd choose 100% of the time. They're like a dollar for a bag of 100.

Not if you're using soft bristles and good toothpaste like you're supposed to be. That said, anything other than vibration or oscillation is a dumb meme. Some minor mechanical assistance actually helps your teeth get cleaner.

Floss picks are wasteful and promote gum damage. You have a fucking square inch on your bathroom counter.

While it's true that there's no evidence for the systemic benefits that Ayurvedic practitioners claim for oil pulling, there is evidence that it is good for oral health and can reduce plaque. You can look up the studies on pubmed.

water floss broke

relatively cheap and I've noticed a massive improvement in my oral health/teeth whiteness. just go buy a tub of coconut oil from your grocer. mine was like $5 and I've had it for a little over a month now.

just drink fluoridated water often, that's why they pipe it to your house
gay frogs have clean smiles

Isn't coconut oil solid at room temperature? Do you chew it until it's swishable, or just let it melt in your mouth, or heat it beforehand?

You've obviously never seen coconut oil. It melts if you touch it.

Attached: 03edd5456d129db4498cbcf39e0f6a2db74dffb65cdef01e8f41af3c29148c26.jpg (436x348, 31.18K)

t. shitbreath

Date a smoker if you're worried about it. If I stank that badly someone would have insulted me to my face by now.
Never been a problem. Teeth are in good shape and when they finally do go I'll just buy new ones as blinding white as the sun. Flossing is for bakas. High IQ people use toothpicks after meals and don't let food rot in their mouth in the first place.

Attached: 1462531166028.jpg (372x370, 14.13K)

Keep telling yourself that, shitbreath.

Attached: apu 1504472154532.jpg (657x624, 44.52K)

lmao

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-09 Colloidal Silver - Sophia Health Institute.png (825x670, 602.14K)

Proprietary tumors

Oil pulling may help with tooth sensitivity, but the risk of inducing lipoid pneumonia outweighs the benefits.
+mouthwash does a better job

Electric toothbrush yellows your teeth

What, how?

Dude, it's just swishing oil in your mouth. Lipoid pneumonia is only a risk if you're a fucking infant. Do you really think people can't be trusted to not inhale the oil? Are you fucking retarded? That's like telling people not to drink water due to the risk of drowning.

They don't. He's just a retard.

Except I did want to believe it was true. Despite that, there's nothing scientifically or even formally documenting the molecular phenomenon that ostensibly happens what practicing oil pulling, despite the fact that proponents often refer to seemingly-scientific studies, they seem to allude me in every aspect but in the immediate appeal to authority of a discussion. I am especially incredulous when the appeal to tradition and the authority of apparently centuries of practicing oil pulling when the popular medium for oil pulling, sesame oil, was conveniently usurped by coconut oil because it was endorsed by celebrities and thus trendy. What property does coconut oil share with sesame? No one wants to explain that to me.

I practiced oil pulling for more than two months with no benefits. After that fruitless period, I actually decided to conduct an informal scientific study where I brushed my teeth sans oil pulling for a two week period, practiced oil pulling with coconut oil for two weeks, then did the same thing with sesame seed oil for two weeks, and, finally, did the same pulling mechanism with just plain water. For my pulling, I rinsed my mouth for the popularly recommended period of time, in excess of twenty minutes. I documented my findings with a 1-5 scale representing the quality of my breath in the morning, after the night I pulled or didn't pull, in a little spreadsheet. My average never surpassed 3 for any of the trials. While I did have a slight bump in quality for the practices where the mechanical aspect of oil pulling was involved (e.g. water, sesame, coconut), there was no disposition to differentiate true oil pulling with simply using water. Granted, it's not a scientific study, but it does prove that, for me, oil pulling could not reliably achieve my hypothesis removing a lot of bacteria from my mouth which accrues over night being one of the most predominant causes of bad morning breath. I don't really have any oral hygeine issues besides that to contrast it with. But I suspect oil pulling the supposed efficacy of oil pulling from informal, lay sources is the product of bias from people who don't brush properly in the first place, which actually lends light to the details of a lot of pro-oil pulling testimonials.

Your teeth yellows because your teeth are porous and darker foods have dieing properties. You would make more sense if you claimed flouride or certain kinds of toothpastes can make your teeth yellow, but there's nothing really different between electric toothbrushes and manual toothbrushes besides the bristles.

Actually, Stallman says there's no ethical problem with using hardware (at least, within the scope of free software; hardware is a different thing) that has software/firmware in it so long as its not something that has to be maintained/get updates.

Toothpicks are actually pretty bad, because they can damage your enamel much in the same way hard bristles can.

After reading this thread I'm going to try the coconut oil meme.
I have no doubts in water picks being good and will probably pick one up after finding a good one too.

I personally recommend picking up a simple tongue scrapper as well as chewing gum. Chewing gum seems more important than people think.

literally what purpose are they intended to serve?

Strips your enamel

t. retarded faggot believing in coconut oils over the advice of qualified doctors and dentists

Taking money from gullible retards like

I don't understand what that has to do with my post. That's literally why teeth get discolored. It would be gullible of me to believe on absurd claim with no explaination.

Also, why are you dismissing oil pulling now after legitimizing oil pulling by claiming that it somehow helps with tooth sensetivity? Also, that other post wasn't even affirming oil pulling, it was just pointing out the absurdity of accidental inhaling. Is this some kind of pro-coconut oil psyops campaign intended to confuse people by juxtaposing rational statements with contradictory ones?

Appeal to authority. Just because someone was once qualified shouldn't mean anything.
My last doctor prescribed me conflicting medications and had been practicing for many years.
It feels like no reason to disregard the hypothesis.
Not to mention, just because some research exists and has been reviewed doesn't mean it's wrong. As made evident by any conflicting report.

It's an automated brush, what more is there to say? It obviously depends on the function too.
Does it vibrate, oscillate, scrubs, etc.
They must have different benefits and detriments. But they most likely are all just intended to speed up a daily mundane task.

have fun with your periodontal disease, user

Attached: advanced-periodontal-disease.jpg (300x200, 11.67K)

Typical ameritard with their piss poor 'education. They actually think spouting retarded shit like 'appeal to authority' is arguing and not just announcing thata they're a retarded burger.

thread flossing is completely fine if you do it correctly and not damage yourself with it.
you don't need to move it along the direction, just insert it and remove it back (vertical movement) with some different angles.

also the thread has to have the correct thickness and elasticity

btw flossing is even more important than brushing
if you're lazy fuck, it's arguably more important to floss than to brush

You're legitimately being unreasonable by disregarding even the possibility that a study conducted by someone who fits your arbitrary qualifications, could be innacurate. Your thinking is like that of an ape and you should conduct yourself better here as this is not /g/.

Mine occupies less than a cubic foot but I won't argue against the loud part; a water flosser packs a tiny compressor so it'll sound like a tiny compressor. The noise level is comparable to that of an older dishwasher or washing machine.

Please graduate highschool before posting here.

A quality insurance system where a double digit percentage of accepted submissions end up being unprovable or just flat out wrong, with that figure standing for the hardest of sciences, let alone fields like medicine where large chunks of the methodology are cyclically found to be on par with or worse than placebo. If mechanics started making as many mistakes as their peers in the medical fields, there would be bans on cars, planes and trains older than a few years. If engineers started being wrong as often as their peers in the medical fields, there would be practically no standing infrastructure.

While pulling oil seems like a good way to get gingivitis, appealing to junk science and sloppy research isn't a good way to make that point to anyone with a curious mind.

Please off yourself before you accidentally breed

You're really convincing everyone, Dr Goldstein.

Attached: not an argument.png (720x522, 151.95K)

lol. the butthurt is palpable

do not forgo traditional flossing. i tried water flossing in the past and traditional flossing still leaves it feeling cleaner. you can supplement traditional with water flossing; however, i find that it's mostly an unnecessary addition. after all, people got by with just regular flossing for a long time now.

u mad?

nope. but you are apparently

If you don't floss, try it an hour or two after eating meat, then sniff the floss. That's what people smell when you talk to them.

I've dated a lot of women and it has never been a problem.

You don't jam them between your teeth retard you use them to pick up large chunks of meat/food that get stuck in there. Are you people actually scraping your teeth with them or something?

When I go to the dentist for cleanings once or twice a year they never say things look bad. They actually think I floss regularly.

Most cases of bad breath are actually the result of tonsil stones building up at the back of your tongue. Hence why you should gargle pure ethanol daily to wash them out and kill the stuff growing back there that causes bad breath.

Buy into all this meme dental care if you want. I'm sure a lot of large corporations are happy that you're chasing the white teeth meme. Having slightly discolored teeth as you age is normal especially if you eat real food and enjoy some of the finer things in life. Having slightly discolored teeth isn't the same as having teeth that are rotting out of your mouth. Dental care is pretty simple:
I'm one of the unlucky people that ended up having soft teeth naturally. No matter what I did I'd get cavities. By the time I was a teenager I had a mouth full of fillings. They're the old school mercury based ones. Dentist told me they all needed to come back out so he could put in safe ones. Fuck that I've already spent thousands and am probably already poisoned from having them in almost 20+ years. I'll just wait until the teeth themselves need to come out and get good implants.

You're going to lose your teeth no matter what you do at some point. Something will happen through no fault of your own. I'm not saying dental hygiene isn't important just don't buy into all the hype. Every few years something new comes along and gets shilled everywhere and people spend lots of money on it. Don't be an idiot that constantly chases the white teeth meme. Unless you're fucking/kissing a person they probably give no fucks about how your breath smells unless they can smell it from 4 feet away. If they can smell it that far off you probably aren't brushing at all. Most people don't care about you much less how you smell until it becomes overbearing. If you stuck as badly as people claim I do from not flossing I'd have heard it from a family member, girlfriend or through the grapevine.

>gizmodo.com/5987823/can-drinking-cure-your-cold

Attached: crying bitch nigga.jpg (300x302, 44.43K)

So you just hold it up to your teeth and it does nothing while scrubbing a tiny spot and missing the rest of your gums, then makes a "DING" sound, and automatically posts your teethbrushing stats to Facebook. Just like every other millennial invention.

And I'm sure your mother smoked like a chimney while she was pregnant with you and you had no problems what so ever. :^)

>>>/fit/

Thanks for your efforts user. I am experimenting with Coconut oil now. I usually have heavy plaque that requires my own intervention. It's stronger than my brush bristles at least, so I'm curious to see if this will loosen of break up any of that.

In the few days I've been doing this my teeth do feel "slicker" than normal after use, so maybe it would be good to do a brush, oil, brush and see if anything additional comes of the second brush.

Not expecting anything but at worst I end up with a good cooking spread to use. I'm sure the additional fat will do me good as well (typically underweight).

It's also a good lubricant.