X86 Alternative General

Computers Are Fucked But The Future Is Malleable edition

Post discussion relating to non-x86 instruction set architectures, such as ARM, MIPS, PowerPC and RISC-V.

This month:

All these questions and more in the x86 Alternative General!

Attached: rejoicing robot.png (596x520, 260.27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
lemote.com/html/news/media/2017/1122/139.html
venturebeat.com/2015/09/03/chinas-loongson-makes-a-64-bit-mips-processor-that-can-run-x86-and-arm-code/
networkworld.com/article/3246707/data-center/meltdown-and-spectre-how-much-are-arm-and-amd-exposed.html
wavecomp.ai/wave-computing-launches-the-mips-open-initiative
wavecomp.ai/mipsopen
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck no ARM is even worse
Its BSD licensed so companies will just make proprietary forks and those forks will be the only ones with decent performance. The only good thing that will come out of RISC-V is it will dethrone ARM from the embedded market eventually because nobody wants to pay for ARM licenses
"best" is subjective because if you're looking for portability its all ARM chinkshit

Attached: carl_engineer.jpg (255x239, 26.02K)

Freudian slip, I mean affordability

The active Power/Talos/Blackbird thread is over at

Affordability is getting much better with Blackbird

TrustZone is far less malicious and easier to bypass than IME/PSP.

Biggest problem with ARM is the total lack of a standardized firmware along the lines of Open Firmware, UEFI, BIOS, etc., which makes developing OSs or hardware drivers a massive PITA. This is one of the reasons why it's so hard to use different OSs on Android hardware, or even install different versions of Android on them.

too slow and lacks support, but it'd be cool to see a non-x86 desktop or laptop

or maybe it'll be vaporware and people will just talk about the "potential" just like shit like the neo900 that never amounted to anything

Applefags once again have no idea what they are talking about. An ARM Trusted Firmware is no different than IME/PSP All modern Android devices for example run a version of Little Kernel underneath everything and it had control over the encryption engine

I guess you can already stick a HiFive Unleashed (RISC-V) in a tower and call it a simple PC, or DIY a laptop like Raspberry Pi users do. They have showed HiFive Unleashed running Debian or something with (see pic) so it should handle basic use-cases already. However, I have seen no videos so I don't know how much you an do without it lagging but it's probably a decent amount (SiFive Freedom U540 SoC, 8 GB DDR4 with ECC).
Then there are those PowerPC workstations in . Not cheap, but very powerful stuff.

lol pic

Attached: oh hey super tux kart.png (1920x1080, 2.3M)

Why does x86 have memory segmentation?

自去年以来,据说中国在维吾尔族营地至少有80万穆斯林。The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China

Daily a PowerBook g4. Ama

Nothing says you have to use trusted firmware on ARM. Some boards like RPi are stuck with firmware blob, so don't buy those ones. Research everything before buying.
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers

Mill CPU is the future.

It doesn't anymore. Segmentation is not used in long (64-bit) mode

Although IIRC there are still segment registers available to the OS, but these are just available in case an OS dev wants to use them for whatever reason, most OS' will never make use of them. And the majority of segmentation registers in 64-bit mode are disabled/forced to 0

Chinkshit is miles better than Israeli spyware.

no

I sense you could be biased on this issue.

Attached: 74b.jpg (252x291, 29.06K)

And I sense you may not actually have a clue what you're talking about and are just reposting memes as arguments

Attached: parrot-thinking-618x464.jpg (618x464, 63.91K)

And I'm saying you're clearly delusional thinking that bugmen are somehow worse than literal sex ritualists.

Intel is an American company. If you really want to argue if its Jewish, then I guess so is ARM and PowerPC since ARM and IBM both have R&D centers in Israel. Get over yourself

Attached: d31.jpg (792x520, 80.24K)

ARM = x86 when it comes to security. I would trust neither for serious applications. ARM chips with speculative and out of order execution are likely full of silicon bugs given the fact there are many different variants of the architecture floating around and its impossible to audit them all. x86-64 still makes the most sense if you're just after raw performance. For a high-performance secure workstation currently PowerPC is the best available option. RISC-V has promise but it looks like it is going after the embedded market first.

Attached: 8ed3297b7661d4e6da78d26f798e81c0c2743e5e7b4fde170f01cbe7ab040e65.png (679x427, 13.62K)

POWER also does speculation. So basically you have to go with really old processors. Learn Forth, so you don't need "high performance workstation" (code word for botnet hardware needed to run shitty bloated OS and apps).

MIPS. Once you see what a SGI octane or any RISC based device can do with little clockspeeds and low wattage, you know, it's a serious challenger. Altough programming on these is harder, there's enough dev kits and libs available for MIPS.

Second challenger would be IBM's PPC, also Hitachi and Fujitsu. Apple ditched them because it is doomed to be a mediocre brand but there are ibm eServer iseries that remain still very high performances today for applications that need a lot of compute power.

For low power again MIPS is an intresting architecture, more oriented stream and multimedia ( lot of HD boxes for streaming run on these chips with some custom Linux) while PPC also dominates the console's world.

ARM is a low power shit and designed to basically just run JAVA and nothing bigger. Even the Samshit and Cortex are crippled and the opposite of power efficient. Just enough to run bloatware on smart shit.

Only because ARM has far fewer resources at their disposal than Intel/AMD.

American = Israeli
The 8088 and Pentium M we're designed in Israel btw.

You seem to be fairly knowledgeable on this subject.
On the topic of MIPS, what do you think of Loongson? Lemote claims that their chips are on par with Ivybridge Intel and steamroller AMD in terms of performance, and there are other claims that it has the ability to run qemu stuff pretty efficiently
lemote.com/html/news/media/2017/1122/139.html translate this in yandex
venturebeat.com/2015/09/03/chinas-loongson-makes-a-64-bit-mips-processor-that-can-run-x86-and-arm-code/
Legit, or chink lies?

You mention PPC. What about POWER stuff like TALOS II? Also, looking at ebay listings for IBM eservers, most of them seem to be x86 Xeon based, not ppc.

Most consoles nowadays have moved to x86. All models of PS4 and Xbox One use custom AMD APUs. Nintendo is an exception, but they use ARM now.

As far as ARM goes, what do you think of Cavium ThunderX? afaik it's immune to the usual vulns because it doesn't use the speculation shit. I think ThunderX2 does though.
networkworld.com/article/3246707/data-center/meltdown-and-spectre-how-much-are-arm-and-amd-exposed.html

Attached: yinyangemoji.png (420x420, 260.12K)

Your anime funds the deep state.

The concept of OoE or speculative branching are not a security risks. Current design implementations used assumptions that compromised these systems to a timing attack are. The challenge is to have an implementation that can prove to be extremely tight.

Currently, kernels can circumvent both technologies by loading the call stack with junk padding and achieve pre-OoE and pre-speculative performance.

Speculative execution makes for weak software and for decadent poz-ridden technocratic globalist corporations pushing single page JavaScript web apps that take a half gigabyte of RAM and take a half minute to load on hardware that should allow for a tenth as much latency for single threaded applications compared to that twenty years ago.

SSHFS instead of cloud storage,

No one should be in charge of deploying a product to millions unless they themselves can cut their teeth programming a terminal application using DSL over Cat 5 to access data stored on a 5400 RPM hard drive, with a handwritten implementation of Nagle’s algorithm.

I kind of know quite a few things, even if my company *Microchip* works on some products that might integrate MIPS64 the best, but for all the rest it's clear, X86 and X86-64 is only good if you run Windows. The only thing that makes X86 last remains Microsoft's monopoly for years.

Now who would really come with something new? Without AMD we would still have Pentium 5 or 6s.
Having alternatives and a choice is important, especially when we see how MS, Google, Apple enjoy their position of monopoly to enforce a shitty leftist ideology.

Terry Davis was right about the cianiggers. And he was right to limit his codebase to 100k lines. Wish he would come back and build the 64-bit PIC CPU he was talking about.

older x86 processors aren't compromised, though. You can run a DOS on as far back as an 8088 I believe, and with a NIC and proper packet drivers, you can put that machine online and have it configure it's addresses by connecting to a DHCP server. There are software suites like mTCP that offer communications over TCP. mTCP includes DHCP software, Telnet software, IRC software, FTP software, and some other utilities. You can even use SSH by way of sshDOS. This one seems to be a bit trickier to configure. In addition, based on my VM testing using FreeDOS, you can run Dillo in less than 16M of RAM. It works somewhat for some sites, but the fact that you can sort of browse the Web in 16M RAM is cool. Links also works, as does a Gopher client.

Basically, old x86 is an alternative to new x86 if you are willing to use DOS and put some work in, but that way you can communicate securely using protocols like SSH and SFTP.

You have no fucking idea what you're talking about
Stop posting on Zig Forums

8086 ought to be enough for anybody.

motorola 68000 resurrection when?

This

wavecomp.ai/wave-computing-launches-the-mips-open-initiative
wavecomp.ai/mipsopen

Test

Attached: 1547151538800-1651065861.jpg (4128x2322, 1.69M)