/hng/ - Home Network General

How to utilise different colour ethernet cable caps (pic related) effectively when making own network cables (i.e what should the different colours represent etc.)? What is the minimum ethernet cable length were you won't run into issues (specifically with gigabit ethernet)? Anyone use Cat6 cabling in favour of good ol' Cat5e?
Also, home network general.

Attached: multi-color-soft-plastic-cat5e-cat6-ethernet.jpg (500x463, 25.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/9vZzCYz
arin.net/resources/request/waiting_list.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

fuck off. sage and reported

Why? There's many different ideas of a network cable colouring scheme, I don[t see how it'd be a worthless thing to discuss (as you seem to imply).

Attached: network_cable_coloring_schemes.PNG (1111x884, 77.53K)

I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm planning on setting up a second OpenWRT router and configuring it to transparently proxy all traffic through Tor. I was thinking of using red cables with that second router.
You mean maximum?
I haven't checked prices lately, but I was never able to justify the price difference. All my stuff it cat5e.

Nah, maxmum passive lenght between active devices which refresh the signal is well known to be 100 meters. On the contrary, there doesn't seem to be a consensus concerning minimum lenght - some insist that it must be at least 1 meter, others say that they have used patch cables as short as a few inches with no signal degradation (supposed problem are reflections if the cable is too short?).

It's not political shitposting, so it doesn't belong here. Only retards screeching about trannies is appropriate for this board.

Attached: 1a7e4ac1978878c35e9ace3275f0ecad4424e6df2c3d002493cbc653014f83dd.jpg (640x513, 27.73K)

I took a bunch of cat6a cables from my old job, and ran them to each room in my apartment with gigabit switches. I get about 120 mb/s when transferring files to my servers.

Nice. Any details on the setup? You have a gigabit switch in each room? Do you use wall sockets and a patch panel at main switch, or do you connect switches and end devices directly?

OP I'm literally a network engineer at a tier 1 ISP and not even I give half a fuck about what color my cables are. Standard minimum length is 3 feet, but most equipment will work with shorter cables. All my cable is cat6 STP, I bought a 1000 foot spool of this shit from monoprice like 6 years ago and at least half of it is still in the box.

Attached: home lab.jpg (2092x3718, 661.31K)

It's a pretty basic and messy setup. When I get a house I plan on wiring it through the walls and making it pretty

I've been reading about BGP, DNS & general internet routing stuff for a couple weeks, and it's very cool, I'd like to learn more. I've also recently started messing around with dn42 too. Does anyone have any resources to learn more about this kind of stuff, I've looked at Cisco's Service Provider certs but I'm curious if anyone here has any hands-on experience with this stuff and can recommend the best resources for learning more in this area

It seems though as it might be quite useful to adopt a scheme so colours represent specific types of links. The pic in is summarised info from just one thread in a networking forum where people were answering this question and sharing what they use different cable (or cable cap) colours for. As one can see, the approaches are wildly warying, though there seem to be some recurring patterns like blue often used for generic data links and green often used for phones.

That would pretty much coincide with the "1 metre" figure. A thing worth noting is that it applies for links between active ports, i.e. e.g. between a switch and a router or a NIC - on the contrary, patch cables which go from an active port (like a switch port) to a passive socket (like on a patch panel) can be much shorter, because the cable segment extends further beyond the passive socket anyway, and is more than likely at least 3 feet long until the active port on the other side.

Except there's no reason to bother with colors, you should be checking your configs and port status before doing anything on the physical layer, and at that point you can just use the port number you looked up on the cli to figure out which cable you're working with. Where I work our field techs have to find one or two cables out of a wall of thousands of them as part of any particular task they're given and it's all done by just matching one set of numbers describing what aisle/rack/device/port it's on with another set of similar numbers.

what are basic privacy/security considerations when setting up a home network? (will probably flash on OpenWRT)
my roommates are botnet'd, so I can put them on a more relaxed guest wifi network. I guess I should firewall block known bad sites like a pihole or something and see how autistic I can get with VLANs.
am considering router-level VPN to mitigate telco spying, but that seems to just shift the trust to a VPN service (probably not trustworthy at all?) and of course they will have shit enough infosec to let the VPN know who they are
my main adversaries are l33t haXxoRs (ie. literal botnets) and corporate botnet, but if state-actor level dragnet can be countered too then i'd do that for fun.

Attached: WannaDie.jpg (720x540, 83.25K)

to extend that question, is there anything that should be checked when buying a router/modem, apart from custom firmware compatibility and how many networks it can create?

The colors are not intended to replace anything else but to aid. If you had to make own cables and had cable/caps in different colors, then why not make use of it to provide some visual cues and thus help with organization somewhat?

IPv6 - good or bad? Will it solve all issues with IPv4, or will it just aid in implementing the "botnet of everything" (where every device or component has a globally unique, publically accessible IPv6 interface)? Do you use it? If so, just on your local network(s), or does you ISP support IPv6 and do you use it for communication on the internet?

Join the Home Network General discord discord.gg/9vZzCYz

Go back the whence you came

Unless you have different colored cat6 cable, why the fuck would you pick anything but standard blue?

Why bother with this old and broken bullshit when cheap used 10GbE spf+ hardware is raining down from the heavens?

Attached: no.PNG (226x238, 48.88K)

Some of us live in 3rd world countries like the USA.

I don't know what that is, but it's probably botnet, 100% guaranteed.

My older-than-time gentoo boxen would weep. 20MB/s on my lan is good enough since I lived through the time of 100kbps, heh *sip*

Attached: 61287254.jpg (400x400, 103.96K)

I use colored cables for things like game consoles, just for the hell of it, since the cables don't cost any extra. If my classic computer collection hadn't been junked, I'd likely use colors to differentiate network speeds, but since I would only have to represent three speeds with ethernet, fuck it.

Nobody has anything to say about IPv6 at all? Ought IPv4 be enough for anybody?

Certain corporations like (((apple))) and (((ford))) own huge /8 ipv4 blocks, which is a big contributor to ipv4's depletion of available addresses. Look here: arin.net/resources/request/waiting_list.html
It's like a 9 months waiting list to even get a /24 block. Fuck the free market, ARIN needs to take those blocks away from these companies and distribute them to people who need address space

Problem is that ARIN or even IANA cannot take IP blocks away. They also cannot be sold. The only way to redistribute those resources is by some kind of agreement.

IANA needs to die.

Red gives you the fastest speeds and blue gives you the lowest packet loss.

rj11 (grey)
usb 2.0
keyboard
mouse
vga monitor
lan
tv display
audio right
audio left
telephone

clockwise

What brand crimpers and punches do you guys use?

Is it well worth it to pay much more for a branded crimper rather than just going with a /csg/ one?

Better watchout, those wires can connect to the internet!

Probably not. I got a Chinese made RG58/59/6 crimper on Amazon and it's built surprisingly well. My RJ45/11/12 crimper is a Home Depot brand. It crimps okay, but the wire stripper was more of an afterthought. I guess check the reviews and ratings before you buy.

Is it even viable to crimp your own patch cables these days? If you're a facilities tech who is responsible for the structural cabling then it's plausible that you need to punch down shit to terminate wall sockets and patch panels, but patch cables are probably better bought.

Is not configuring gateway/DNS a legit way to keep an interface locked to a local LAN? Or could some piece of software figure out on its own what a gateway on the given LAN is and then use it to send data onto the internet anyway (possibly also having hardcoded DNS IPs)?

wow botnet

tip top kek

What do you mean viable? They sell reels of cat6 and crimp connectors at any hardware store. If you want the right length, you make it yourself.

If you mean patch cables for terminating ports on back end switches then it's better to just buy them, because you'll need a bunch of very short cables and crimping them all is a pain

They are way too unreliable. No big company will use human-crimped patch cables in $CURRENT_YEAR.

You don't know what you're talking about kiddo.

comments like his are the main reason I can't take tech discussion here seriously.

I guess he thinks they order from monoprice and wait with their thumbs up their butts.

or assumes everyone else is as shitty and slow at making cables.