What's the point of learning Rust/other meme lang

when I can just learn it later once it has proven itself?

you don't get any points for being an early adopter of a language. you're basically donating (and risking) your time to benefit the late adopters after you've worked out the bugs and proved out the concept. it's very cuckish.

Attached: Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 55.58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/nim-lang/Nim/wiki/Whitespace-FAQ#indentation
nim-lang.org/docs/filters.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if it looks like it'll be a very good language you can get points by writing early docs, articles, videos, books. The last can get you some money but all can get help get you a job. And if it's already good enough, you can use it for your own projects and benefit from whatever benefits it has.

Because I'm Steve Klabnik

nice stealth rust shilling thread
GO AWAY RUSTFAG

I'm not interested in doing any of those things. I'm interested in writing software.
There are literally zero (0) jobs in Rust except at Mozilla which will probably go out of business in 5 years. At best it will give you brownie points for being a special snowflake who is autistic enough to care that much about languages (a good wagecuck). But you'd be paid to write in Java/C#/Python/C++, not Rust, so why not write books about those languages to get actually worthwhile points (and get an actual audience to read your articles).
The purely technical benefits would have to outweigh the effort it would take to learn the language.
The benefits can't be the promise of using it in the future for your future projects, because you have no idea if Rust will survive or go in the ash heap of history like 98+% of all new languages. I took a quick glance at the Rust book, and I don't see nearly enough beneficial features to overcome all this effort.

If the cucks somehow meme it to widespread adoption by 2025, then I'll learn it. Until then, I'll stay /comfy/ not wasting my time on experimental timesinks.

Attached: 1544029111982.jpg (550x397, 20.9K)

Because it's fun.

OP said "Rust/other meme lang". When answering that I thought mostly about ATS, Nim, and Zig.
If you're really only interested in Rust, then you should learn it so that you can be present at the conference when some male feminist literally rapes the entire audience by telling a joke that he intended to be at the expense of male non-feminists.

The advantage to being an early adopter of X is if you can be known as "the X guy," which seems to be what Klabnik was going for. If you're not going to blog, author books, or make yourself available to speak at conferences, then your advantages are really just being a desirable hire. Especially if you have contributed a useful library that everyone uses. Try this exercise though, think about a useful 3rd party library you use right now, can you name the author? If not, that's quite normal. Good engineers are taken for granted right now, which is perhaps why some of these sociopaths lop off their cocks and call themselves women. I can't name many of the top linux contributors, but I do know "Coraline Ada," even if I cannot tell you what work he's done.

There is already a Rust thread. Fuck off, anti Rust shill.

Just support the older ones. W3C HTML 1.0 compliant!

the (((transexual linux ruiner))) has only done some (i say very) small, rather useless (or so i have heard) projects in ruby. all the rest of his/her/whatever thousands of contributions are exclusnvely code of conduct related.

Become employable! Learn c++!

thanks!

t. rustfag

ding ding /g/ brainlet alert

ATS might be a memelang here but it will never be the next big thing.
Nim might be. Nim and Go are my bets for fag hairs next memelangs. They just need a development cycle closer to REPL shit than compiling and reading docs shit. That may be impossible though in which case slow ass Python will still be in charge.

Nim’s creator already told CoCfags to fuck off and is rather opinionated, so my hope is that it avoids adoption by soys.

Getting meme jobs that pay meme amounts of money

Haha nice but Nim still has no utility.

New and "new" languages are annoying. They sometimes bring in really good concepts but invariably also (needlessly) come up with worse regressions. Take Rust. Its memory management and case coverage are great, but for some reason it's implemented with worse metaprogramming than C. That along with many odd and off-putting quirks in its syntax, reference implementation and community makes it a non-starter. Then there's Nim which is an answer to a question nobody asked with its GC (but it's optional! really! (but not really)), its risible syntax and its opinionation in all the wrong places. In all real world, non-toy applications where Nim could be used, Go always ends up a better candidate though it makes me feel like my soul == nil. D has great metaprogramming but it somehow has more more gear-grinding legacy accumulation and limitations than Python or C++, leading or trashy syntax, compilers that yield unexpectedly dogshit performance in code that would perform well in any other language and (yet again) an "optional" GC.

The theory is that having gone through decades of programming computers, it should be possible to concentrate this experience into something that addresses the shortcomings of current tools. In practice, people run with that idea but then switch to doing things because it tickles their nerd bone; any sense of practicality is thrown out of the window. It makes me mad and sad.

This.

t. "I've never programmed anything but I've configured some frameworks together :^)" LARPer.

use Ada, friend.

Ada is nice but I had a snag with it. Can't remember what it was for the life of me though. I'd have to try it again now that some time has passed.

Can someone, please, rewrite youtube-dl in Nim?

Since it's tabspace based you can't write everything in one line, right?

What's the point? Python is completely fine for this.

it's not even possible you dinghole

Also you should check out the Zig language btw.

lol

But you can add boilerplate to the top of every source file and use your preferred indent so it's all good, right?

github.com/nim-lang/Nim/wiki/Whitespace-FAQ#indentation
nim-lang.org/docs/filters.html
Jesus Christ, what kind of braindamage is this?

It can and does get worse, fag.

Attached: 1447777552061-0.png (582x630, 312.34K)

Who the fuck does this guy think he is? Like a failed version of Terry A Davis (rest in peace)

How's that a problem? There should always be one way to do a thing. Imagine if you didn't have to deal with different styles in someone else's code. This is a step towards it.

Thanks but no thanks.

A language enforcing a given indentation style just means that you're using someone else's indentation style all the time unless it also is your indentation style by happenstance. A sane approach would be issuing a warning if a file contains multiple styles and carrying on.

Then use something else. That is, unless the language forces you to use tabs, in which case you're fucked.

or not as you can change your tab width, assuming you're not running a minimal editor

Better would be just to have the braces and that way people can do whatever.

no point unless it's useful for what you need or you have time to spare trying something new/fun for you. i doubt it's gonna be taking things over, but a lot of people like what it is right now. learn what you need for where you want to be. for me i just need to work on my C++ and pray Jai is really good