LUGTOW

Linux Users Going Their Own Way

It's time for linux users to go our own way. The whole "GNU"/linux ecosystem - more appropriately called the freedesktop/systemd/gnu/chromium/linux operating system.

* The red hat goons basically own the userspace now. If you want to make changes to your system you can send a patch and it wil get dropped. They essentially have 100% control, linux desktop will conform to their vision alone.
* polkit and dbus.. what do these things even do? Yet you have them on your computer most likely.
* GNU glibc is bloated and full of bugs *that GNU software depends on* and it is pro abortion.
* ls / gives about 50 things. for "historical reasons": Translations, if you try to make it simple like 4 or 5 directories all with a clear and distinct purpose every piece of software in existence would break because it's all badly written.
* every single programming language has its own fucking package manage that fights against all the other package managers. Is this a joke? Why are programmers, supposedly smart people, allowing this to happen?
* You have all this FUCKING GARBAGE that is overcomplicated and nobody likes like: systemd, polkit, dbus, gsettings XML schemas. None of this stuff makes sense, the documentation is unhelpful and the systems themselves violate standard UNIX design ideas - I wouldn't have a problem with that if they had actually improved on things.
* The web browser is about 80% of the linux desktop experience now. And while it's technically free software it's nearly monopolized (firefox is digging its own grave) and it's basically impossible to make changes to. lets be honest here.
* The shell's fucked. Try writing a shell script that correctly processes a list of files that might have spaces on tabs in the names. You can do it if you study but everything takes work when it should be simple. Programming with lists of strings shouldn't be so tricky.
* The core sets of software has so much historical baggage that could be cleared away. Did you know ./configure tests if your system uses EBCDIC instead of ASCII? configure performs millions of checks, yet the software usually doesn't work either way.
How about a simple init system that doesn't reimplement half UNIX in a buggy way?

It's time for linux users to go our own way, let's have a simple operating system based on clear understand principles with man pages that explain everything you need to know. There's so much more that could be said but I'm sure you have your own complaints too. yep. slackware linux, now that's a real distro. they don't make em like that anymore.

Attached: gmjw4jwev5321.png (666x666, 662.47K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus
cloveros.ga
mirrors.slackware.com/mirrorlist/
i.imgur.com/Juk1Ujb.jpg
slackpkg.org.
slackpkg.org/stable/slackpkg-2.83.0-noarch-4.txz
youtube.com/watch?v=PowUYedShYQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDXL
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: Mcfucking-kill-yourself[1].jpg (552x589, 71.46K)

Isn't the entire UNIX ecosystem fucked because it was only designed to work on a 70's typewriter, it's successor never took off, and the entire OS is nothing more than patchwork upon patchwork that will never see a proper fix because those with the knowledge to do so are working on something else, complete retards who are up their own ass and screech about any criticism they receive, or don't even use UNIX?

TempleOS doesn't have this problem

Attached: terry and dog.png (1280x720, 1.89M)

what is Alpine Linux, Artix, Gentoo, Hyperbola, MX, Puppy, Void, etc.?
(yes, not all of those perfectly fit those standards but nor does Slackware)
A few of those distros are very popular. It's not as if reasonably good distros don't exist.

Attached: anglebutt-.jpg (621x480, 89.37K)

Not gonna point out every wrong in this thread but:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus

Don't post in this thread if you don't have anything nice to say.

How is that "wrong"?

/throd

If you're worried about things being nice here, then you've come to the wrong neighborhood motherfucker.
gtfo >>>/lebbit/

Does Gobo Linux manage to accomplish organizing the whole file system in a more clean and logical way?

no

Probably something similar to BeOS.

I heard that red hat software is becoming more and more complex to maintain on one's own so more support licenses get purchased.
dbus is cancer and so is polkit, the other kit and pam. Many programs depend on them uselessly, or are dragged to them just because of 1 tiny dependency.
etc. etc. etc...

Delete Zig Forumskit

Yes and no.
Gobolinux does what it set out to do, and the actual layout is far superior to legacy bullshit that the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard, which is more of a pile of hacks implemented because of things like ‎Ken and ‎Dennis running out of hard drive space than it was "designed".

However, in practice if it's not already in a recipe for dealing with a package, you end up spending a fair amount of time trying to deal with retarded levels of hardcoding, and hammering them into something more portable. So it ends up being like gentoo but with another layer of work on top of that.

Gobolinux is a great idea, but the FHS meme is here to stay.

IBM will kill Redhat, so I wouldn't worry too much about them. I feel much better about the direction Linux is going than Microsoft and Apple. I'm sure BSD can use the users and support if you wanna jump ship.

Attached: openbest.jpg (945x531, 57.23K)

100% bait post probably made by a BSD shill.
Kill yourself.

What's wrong is coming here and asking shit like what does x do when you could literally just read the wikipedia article on x and learn what it does.

Gobolinux sounds like it completely fixes the problem, tbh. Unfortunately it's very deficient in many other ways compared to decent modern distros. Bad as FHS is, it's not the only thing I care about in a distro.

cloveros.ga

polkit is daemon that provides interface for unprivileged processes to request actions from privileged processes.
dbus is daemon that provides request-response and publish-subscribe ways of inter-process communication.

Gobolinux does not fix the problem it sweeps it under the rug. do your research before posting.

HaikuOS

Attached: terry-davis-temple-os.jpg (1148x917, 138.12K)

Funniest thread of 2018 award winner right here

Attached: b08trygb_0854yt-803v4yntpnrdhg80n54yu564yb647by.jpg (552x465, 55.88K)

So basically NSA malware.

>everyone ignores sndio and OSS4 in favour of ALSA and (((PulseAudio)))
>can't use sndio yet because alsa-sndio and pulseaudio-module-sndio don't support capture
Why is Linux's audio stack cursed to be terrible?

Attached: 1444935921056.png (260x382, 151.45K)

There's always JACK if plain ALSA isn't for you.

templeOS also doesn't have an active software developer anymore :^)

I’m with you, OP. Linux is completely niggered out. So are we moving to OpenBSD, NetBSD, or 9front?

This

Use Artix or devuan with Linux-libre or lts.
Problem solved

God's temple is already finished, each user may write their own tcp/ip stack and other wanted software as a rite. The CIA can't rape your computer if they can't have the code nor the binary or even know you wrote the software.

If Commodore GPL'd themselves before dying we wouldn't be in this mess.

Regarding the memory usage why are you using GNOME? I haven't run GNOME or KDE for over 15 years now.
My three biggest memory hogs are firefox, xfdesktop (and Xorg), and emacs. Usually my usage looks like this.
$ free -m total used free shared buff/cache availableMem: 7959 1405 1293 243 5260 5751Swap: 8191 15 8176

Shell scripting is a lost art. Basically:
lrn2quotes lrn2sed lrn2awk lrn2perleven
Then lrn. If your problem is easier done in another language then use that instead of shoehorning the problem into sh

Yeah its crufty. But how long does it really take? How long is it compared to the make process? How many times are you actually running configure?
For me it take 5 seconds to run ./configure on a nontrivial project like lilypond.
I'm not saying autohell tools are great but they aren't as bad as the common hyperbole makes it out to be.

I'm already an expert at this shit. I've been in #bash years and picked up all the horrible edge cases.

The thing is I'm smart enough to not be attached to this hard earned knowledge like it's a mark of pride. It's actually a stain. The same tasks could be accomplished hundreds of times easier in a better designed language.

Continuing to use tools that are anti-ergonomic is just idiotic.

Fedora has systemd, dbus, SELinux, pulseaudio, udisks, autofs, gtk3-glib-dbus-at, all packages built with nls, its own Linux patchset

That's because sh's purpose is to glue executables together, it's not a programming language.

I already lrn2* all this shit in the 90's. That hasn't made my life any better, or modern software any more palatable. Right now I'm lrn2forth, because this unix shit is a fucking joke.

beware of the codes of conduct found in several plan9 distros/derivates/other names.

still would get the code of conduct cancer.
use openbsd, a code of conduct free derivate of plan9 and/or illumos, and if you're really desperate, gentoo with old code of conduct free kernel, and free of dbus, polkit, pam, freedesktop, systemd, consolekit, etc etc cancer.

I'd use OpenBSD if it actually worked and had support. Doesn't work on any of my machines unfortunately.

I laughed harder than I should have

Here's how it works

Now that's a real distro

Don't shoehorn the problem in to a shell script then. Use an actul programming language. Why do you think Perl was written?

that's kind of how public/private key crypto works

That's some solid knowledge you have there.

If the key itself isn't verified then verifying anything against it is pretty much pointless.

I agree with you, Lubuntuman.

Wew. I'm not going to sit here and explain things you should already have enough sense to figure out yourself.
>I too dense to look at mirrors.slackware.com/mirrorlist/
Why should I waste the time tbh? What are you even LARPing on here for?

Thank you for clarifying this, seeing as abortion is an issue especially pertinent to computers.

yes, and metacharacters and other shit. also ls is locale dependent and things that process output of ls have their own special differences. it's basically a PHD thesis or 10 if you want to pass strings around linux tools safely

yes.
day of the seal when?
i.imgur.com/Juk1Ujb.jpg

I'm going to sit here and explain things you should already have enough sense to figure out yourself. I have no life anyway, what else could I do other than sit there and teach idiots common sense.
Look at this: slackpkg.org. Download the latest release: slackpkg.org/stable/slackpkg-2.83.0-noarch-4.txz
Now read. I doubt you're good at that since you flat out ignored what I had already said, but please try and read.

Here's what the code does, in short:

At NO point is the key verified in ANY way.

slackwar is a virus

parabola is the one true path my child

If we keep using the Linux kernel and just build a new userland and desktop environment we'll be good. I propose dropping all 32-bit support and legacy garbage and just going forward with a Plan 9 approach to rewriting software. Make it as small and as simple as possible. Start working on a clean and well written compiler like Open64 to replace GCC.

Attached: 1537459900468.jpg (731x620, 195.87K)

Have fun with your botnet hardware.

Rest in piss animal abuser.

yeah, i'm really not a big fan of how linux development seems to be centered around personas like poettering or sponsored teams like red hat (an IBM company)

Get fucked CIAnigger

Attached: killing_cia_niggers_one_by_one.jpg (900x599, 104.37K)

You're welcome to install Gentoo and avoid all the poetteringware trash.

It's also not usable for anyone who isn't Terry Davis.

I'm a Windows user but I support your thread.

Comparing Windows and Linux there's at least one thing Win does better: the firewall. Methinks Linux 2019 deserves a proper firewall that makes rules considering an executable's path and checksum, not just blocking ports like a caveman. It should also have a whitelist mode, where it blocks everything by default and the poweruser manually whitelists the very few programs that can be trusted (web browser, package manager and wget).

I also agree with simplifying the root directory structure. All executables should go in /bin unless the poweruser chooses to install the program locally somewhere else (for example Desktop/ dir).

One more thing, GRUB2 is a huge disappointment to me. Look how huge it is and consider how come you need grub-customizer to edit its settings. I don't have suggestions about how to fix it, I'm just thinking there are some parallels between GRUB getting bloated and abandoning the UNIX way and the same thing happening to Linux. Or maybe you, unlike me, will reach the conclusion that this increase in complexity is unavoidable. That way you can justify web browsers using hundreds upon hundreds of MB RAM just for rendering a page.

I'd kill for rules based on executable path

It already has white listing though

Is there a single decent OS? Windows and OS X are obviously mega pozzed. Anything based on Debian and also Debian itself is utter fucking broken hot garbage. Slackware is decent but has no package manager and everything is outdated as fuck. OpenBSD is slow as molasses, FreeBSD is pozzed. Is Gentoo any good? Looks like it will turn out to be just another disappointing timesink.

time to nuke linux userland because you still cant compete with Windows in basic things

I bought old hardware to run OpenBSD. The OS is really slow and unperformant to the point where if you switch active app while listening to music you get an audio artifact

A few months ago feminists tried to get an abortion joke removed from some GNU thing that Stallman wrote. The joke was actually pro-choicemurder and they were still offended.

Are you referring to IME/PSP? Because an AMD computer from 2012 is co-processor free and it can certainly run 64 bit.

ME is only one of the many problems. x86 is outright fubar. You're better off to use an older ARM chip like Cortex-A7, or ideally simpler 80's stuff like m68k or Z80. The RC2014 dudes got Linux running on their boards, although I think it's a waste of time beyond the novelty. So long as people cling to Unix/C just as they cling to Windows and x86, they'll remain in the cianigger prison, where there are lots of bugs and side-effects to exploit.

what are the alternatives

Is there any inherent benefit to ARM? Or is that there are less eyeballs on it so less flaws known?

I can see the benefit of older/simpler designs being easier to audit. Is ARM that much simpler than x86?

Look at everything that used to come on microcomputers. You had small, tight OS, not like modern systems that try to masquerade server as a desktop. 80's stuff like Amiga, Atari, Mac, all were perfectly fine the way they were, and ran well on low-end 68000. You didn't even need a HDD, just double-density floppy drive was enough. There wasn't anywhere for malware to hide deep into the hardware like today. On most of those old systems, hitting the reset button got you back to factory defaults. If you screwed up and got a virus, it was just a matter of booting from a known-good floppy (write-protected) and then kill the virus, or just format the infected floppy after you backup any data files you wanted.
As for languages, there's a lot of them and you don't have to become a master of all the undefined behavior cases of C. Outright using asm is more transparent, because there's no compiler to second-guess. For compiled languages, Ada is better, and so is Pascal. Personally I think Forth is interesting, especially after finding out about ColorForth.

It's simpler than x86, so there's bound to be less bugs and side-effects. But the newer ARM chips also do out-of-order execution and speculation, so those also become unecessarily complicated. Instead of writing simpler, better software like in the old days, people want to keep using the harware as a crutch and license to write lots more big, bloated, buggy code. This won't turn out well. They haven't learned any lessons yet, and just want to keep piling on mitigations and pretend that fixes the problem. It's obviously wrong, because it doesn't stop the endless security updates. This is the broken culture where things are so complicated that nothing ever works right, and even console games nowadays need patches.

Attached: Z80-MBC - 4 ICs Z80 homemade computer. PCB Version with CP_M 2.2-LIN0gD84PMY.mp4 (640x360, 7.4M)

What the fuck are you talking about?

Please would you be a dear and hang yourself? Thank you so much for being a good person and ending it. We all hate you

I think abortion is against his religion so he doesn't want to support gnu. Lucky for him he was raised Christian, I can't imagine there were any other reasons his parents didn't just save themselves the disappointment and failure.

It's a clever way at discrediting the rest of the points you make, no matter how sane they may be. OP is false flagging.

not pro abortion, anti-censorship. This caused quite a stir at one point though.

Attached: 2018-12-16-224004_743x414_scrot.png (743x414, 72.43K)

wow, that's way more useful than a $3 bulk buy arduino nano, except it fucking isn't and it's garbage.

keep scrolling ascii teddies virgin.

get a typewriter you paranoid weirdo. what is the point of running a computer too old to run usable software? what are you actually afraid of?

Gentoo along with slackware and many other unpopular distros has some really poor security.
Well, there's nothing better as of now, unfortunately.

All those 80's computers I named had useful software. There was of course a lot of crossover, but Atari specialized in music, Mac in desktop publishing, and Amiga in video & animation. Needless to say, they all had the basic stuff like art/paint programs, office stuff, networking, etc. They all got web browsers in the 90's too. It's only because the industry pushed Wintel/Unix shit and the resulting bloatage that the nice, old computers aren't "useful" anymore (where "useful" is defined as able to run the modern bloated shitware that presents no net progress).
Actually you can even browse the web on 8-bit computers, but of course without JS.
youtube.com/watch?v=PowUYedShYQ

Attached: amigaworldv1n1.jpg (600x772, 96.83K)

is there any reason to use debian over freebsd except muh gaems? both are pozzed but at least freebsd is still decently engineered

nobody cares about your obscure fucking program, when is the userland up to standards that hell Windows has right now?
when is shit just going to be, you click on it once and it fucking works?
fucking hell

SJW apologist detected

Go back to pol please

Not how it works here, go back to 4chan.

kasdfkjladsflafljkadsfjkfdaljkadsfjklncdcxnxciooxcicoisoiaocOJCnlkcalkadnkdcnklzclnznlcznlcznlzcskleoiiaeooacoicaoiacoznczoncocnooncnocoziczniocoizocxizoijjiozoiczojidcdjioozijcjoizjiozdcjiozcjiozdcjiozdojiczodiczjdiocjzoidzjiocjzoidcojij

What we say is that you ought to give the system's principal developer a share of the credit. The principal developer is the GNU Project, and the system is basically GNU.

If you feel even more strongly about giving credit where it is due, you might feel that some secondary contributors also deserve credit in the system's name. If so, far be it from us to argue against it. If you feel that X11 deserves credit in the system's name, and you want to call the system GNU/X11/Linux, please do. If you feel that Perl simply cries out for mention, and you want to write GNU/Linux/Perl, go ahead.

Since a long name such as GNU/X11/Apache/Linux/TeX/Perl/Python/FreeCiv becomes absurd, at some point you will have to set a threshold and omit the names of the many other secondary contributions. There is no one obvious right place to set the threshold, so wherever you set it, we won't argue against it.

Different threshold levels would lead to different choices of name for the system. But one name that cannot result from concerns of fairness and giving credit, not for any possible threshold level, is “Linux”. It can't be fair to give all the credit to one secondary contribution (Linux) while omitting the principal contribution (GNU).

Attached: 1536203334732.png (282x295, 197.49K)

How do I watch that video on my Amiga?

Face it gnutards, Linux is the operating system.
Linux runs every key driver and manages every little detail of the system, gnu coretils are so depreciated you can hardly call it GNU anything.

more like systemd/linux ;^)

:c rude.

I disagree. The kernel is clearly the most important part of an Operating System. Without it there is absolutely no point in even having one. Therefore, it makes sense to name an OS after the kernel it uses. So a system running the Linux kernel should rightly be referred to as Linux, whereas an OS running HURD should be referred to as either a GNU or HURD system.

wasted trips and dubs.

Then the Android OS doesn't exist. Neither does Apple OS. "There are no OS's aside from the kernel".

Wrong.
Those are different distinct distrobutions of an operating system.
It's mostly branding there and techniquely they don't hold and true to the operating system components.
Just small pieces fitted ontop of the actual operating system.

So you're also right, there isn't any OS aside from the kernel, everything else is just programs.
You wouldn't call the entire operating system after for example, the Desktop enviroment? Despite the fact that Desktop enviroments are key to the desktop.
But the thing there is, they aren't running the important tasks, they are just an interface too it.
Linux, ultimently is what is running everything.

Fuck if I know, haven't owned an Amiga since the mid 90's. But there's mplayer and ffplay (ffmpeg) ports, and you probably need a 68060 or PPC accelerator for realtime video decoding, unless a specialized video card like CyberVision64 or CyberVision64/3D will do the trick. Otherwise, convert the video to VCD format, and a 68030 or 68040 will probably play it fine. Or convert it to CDXL format, which will play fine even on barebones CDTV or Amiga 500 with CD player.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDXL

Attached: cover.jpg (1024x684, 136.89K)

BUY OUR BOTNET HARDWARE GOY.

I agree with a few of your points, OP. A new linux userland is needed. However no o e wants to put in the hours when we already have something thats Good Enough™. Id be happy if you want to make a project out of it, but I doubt its gonna go very far. Making a list of alternative programs that already exist and arent completely depenent on current linux userland would be a good starting point in my opinion.

64bit RISC-V around the corner :^)

Attached: cf80f251a85499e9da20e1c1a00b36fa93b166b1aeef952342d894b084f4288f.jpg (375x500, 23.66K)