Is hand made hero a good learning resource?

I've heard few things about Casey Muratori other than his rants on C++ and OOP.

Attached: portrait_casey_wide_1220x686_d883e203p0.png (1220x686, 66.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hero.handmade.network/episode/code
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yeah dude just watch streams for a year instead of actually doing any programming.

He has some weird preferences in terms of programming, and handmade hero itself uses some rather specific systems that you might not want yourself, but he is a good programmer though. Never use only one source for learning anything.

All of the information that is found in handmade hero can also be found in tutorials written in the early 2000's and Microsoft documentation, man pages, khronos documentation, etc. It's useful if you have no background and you like to learn about stuff by watching someone program. If you want to read stuff then just read specifications, documentation. By the time I had heard about handmade hero I was at a point where it wasn't useful to me anymore. It's far more efficient to understand and query from the resources that Handmade Hero is based on than to let someone digest it and then regurgitate it over an hour long video. But it's not as easy as watching Handmade Hero.

Its true that there are things that documentation doesn't tell you, and HH probably imparts some kind of living knowledge about the topic, on some level, that hasn't been written down in detail or in a very searchable way. That's probably the most useful part of it.

I haven't watched a whole lot of HH so this is a kind of superficial opinion about it. But I think it's useful.

Instead of watching someone program in real time for ten hours you can just do that yourself with some book.

I don't have the patience to watch people program. Programming is a really boring thing to watch. I would rather watch the highlights if someone were to cut out all the boring stuff.

literally worse than getting cucked by niggers

Wait a sec.... Handmade Hero is an esoteric metaphor for Heil Hitler

nah, it's just some guys ego trip. waste of time.

Watching another man dominate his machine instead of doing working with your own machine is especially cuckish. Your time would be better spent reading Knuth's books or hell, even doing AoC.

I'm leaving it.

No, you’re just an idiot.

Short answer is no, if by learning resource you mean a resource for learning to program. On the other hand it is a great reference if you already know how to program and want to learn about a specific topic. The episode guide is autistically detailed and fast as fuck, and if you're trying to figure out how to get started with something it's very useful. hero.handmade.network/episode/code

Read a textbook. A good textbook is the best way to learn whatever you want to learn

Books are shit for learning programming.

That's just untrue

Maybe if you're still in middle school, but any literate adult would be well-served to do some research for a good textbook in whatever language they wish to learn and buy a copy (or just get it off libgen)

I sure love reading hundreds of pages of some idiot pushing his opinions and """best practices""" while talking about useless shit 80% of the time and stretching the actually useful pieces of information for way longer than they need to while sprinkling epic stories about his personal life inbetween.

You can get much better value for your time by reading a few online tutorials to get started, programming shit on your own from then forward, and looking up resources/docs from various sources when you need help or to expand your knowledge.

Sounds like you skipped this step

I described literally every C/C++ book I've seen recommended here that I've read.

Maybe you're just illiterate. Try starting with the Hardy Boys, when you're confrortable with those try some YA novels. Maybe try some adult literature if you're feeling bold. After that you should be well-situated to read an entry-level programming textbook

Does that include K&R?

You probably just didn't try the examples and do the exercises.