Airplane thread

Greetings Zig Forums
I have spent the better part of last night trying to design a model plane for myself, however, while doing so I unintentionally created a very basic mechanism for airplane flaps
I don't know if this would work or how well
instead of a hydraulic press as with most modern aircraft this one would, this one would utilize a set of gears and a notched rod connected from the flap to the gears, which would then be turned by a smaller motor, the orange is something I noticed on commercial aircraft that is used for covering this mechanism iirc
What do you think anons?

Attached: similar mechanism.jpg (448x294 56.16 KB, 4.13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/mzQuq2FHdeE
pbs.cz/en/our-business/aerospace/aircraftgines/jetgine-pbs-tj23u
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Do you have a logo?

do you know anything about aerodynamics, airplanes in general, or even engineering in general?

no user, i'm not a jew, if this is something new then I want to share it with the world kinda like freeware or whatever linux fags talk about, plus if someone else makes it then it does a few things for me, 1. I don't have to develop this shit further on my own and 2. the ones that others do develop will likely be of a higher quality and since it isn't copyrighted then there will be many producers and thus keeping prices low
everyone wins

just very basic shit I learned last night, this model is of course for a small airplane (ie; where I could take small electrical and mechanical bits and create a mechanical flap)

im sure the random information you gathered in one night is accurate

dude im just trying to have an airplane thread and share an idea that I thought was neat and plausible
what point are you trying to make?

Please don't make threads unless they're about OS shitflinging

aerospace technology is still technology

I think your mechanism would have weight issues
or if it were made light enough, reliability issues.
The use of notches on the rod would mean the rod has highest strength only at certain sections along its length. Replace it with a screw thread rod thingy like in a bench vise to normalize strength along the rod, increasing reliability.

This mechanism is for adjustable wing angle, correct? A gurney flap with adjustable position would have a simpler and lighter mechanism while doing mostly the same thing.

The idea about the vise screw seems viable, however I don't think a gurney flap is what this would be used for, I envisioned this particular setup for landing flaps and possibly ailerons depending on how fast it can extend and retract.
One thing that a search doesn't bring up is how the flaps work on model planes

From some quick searches, model plane flaps seem to be controlled by servo motors. Most electrical motors can be made to run faster with more voltage, so no actuation speed concerns are apparent.

Bahahaha! American is a fucking goofy corruption of English.

as simple as that would be i'm looking for something stronger and more durable
here are a couple of points im trying to fulfill while designing this plane
I don't know a lot of this particular equation but I would guess that increased size + increased speed = control surfaces need to be more rigid and strong. although I think the servo motors would be suited for the ailerons as they would only need to be raised/lowered momentarily or in short bursts for turns and corrections, while the landing flaps would need to be more "solid" in function as they would be in position for extended periods and also get the most pressure while taking off and landing

th only exception to this would be the avionics of it as I would like to somehow mount a camera so I can fly around mountains from a birds eye view but in real time as it would be far out of my sight (think airforce drone operators) also I want to program it so that it can be piloted with an old video game flight stick or a console remote

begone britcuck
north America is best America

Does it have canards?

it may have that, wing fences, or both, at the moment that is undetermined, but seeing as how it will be among faster model planes then it may require it to keep it from eating dirt at high velocity

this was the initial design but i figured the actuator rods would collide and cause issues, plus it would require a lot of open space withing and just outside of the wing for the rods to operate (that wouldnt be an issue with a cover. another issue would be ensuring the rods have constant contact with the gear, in the new version it would be locked between the two gears

Attached: concept design.png (448x294, 3.2K)

Hydraulics are lighter, stronger, and more simple than any other mechanical system.

I guess seaplanes aren't a thing.

well the theory behind it is that it would be simple to build in a workshop and maintain, hydraulics and other high pressure things would present new challenges and dangers.it is supposed to be something which can be made with cheap, and readily available materials while also limiting the required tooling to do so.
If you have any information on how to build hydraulics feel free to share

Kek. Do you know anything about aircraft? Why would I want this in my cessna, for example? Airplanes don't use "hydraulic presses"anyway. Why would you make a bunch of rods and gears to move the flap, then put a motor there anyway? You know if you already have a motor that can turn a flap you don't need to attach rods to it right?

user im talking about small scale/model planes and drones, the gear+rods would be used for the flaps when taking off and landing, the ailerons would use the electric motor because they wouldnt be under the same pressure or as long as the flaps would

Attached: hydraulic actuator.jpg (570x401, 112.77K)

not this shit again

Rods are too heavy you nigger
use wires and pulleys

You don't need to put your CoG so far forward the plane can't even take off unless you're a Lockheeb designer of course..

???

I've never had much luck with wires and cables desu, shit is always either too tight or too loose

my plan was to have the wings sit where the CoG is
нет

Because they plane the sea as opposed to the air? The fuck are you on?

Aquatic air-planing craft

/Thread
I guess the only question I have now is how can I make a piston/hydraulic mechanism and be able to control it remotely? I mean something small, like something that could fit in a 1ftx5ft RC wing, so nothing of great proportion

I chuckled

can someone give me a quick run down of all the mathematical formulas needed when designing an airplane?
like lift+thrust/lbs or just any formulas which HAVE to go into it?

The major issues are valves and cylinders at that scale, and at that scale, it's probably best to just build your own.
The pump could be driven off the main prop motor, or an auxillary pump that's idle, which could save battery power.

I've heard that there is a setup where the engine can be hooked up to a small generator of some kind which can power the avionics and charge the batteries as its being operated, but that could probably turn bad without some kind of regulator or auto off switch

Incorrect, variable incidence wings are a different topic altogether. What OP is describing is an idea for flap actuators that move only a small section of the wing.

I was willing to humor you for a bit but my patience vanished after I saw this post. Pic related is among the first images you get when jewgling "flap actuator".

Which is why when such things are a concern ball screws are used instead but I guess you never bothered to research any of this you dumb fuck.

Christ almighty did you really think you were the first nigger to think of a rack and pinion drive?

Attached: Actuator-integration-into-the-wing-SolidWorks-model-1-wing-body-2-actuator.png (662x238, 47.97K)

Wow, hats off to you sir, you've turned a retarded retort into a logical argument. While I can't agree an aircraft planes air or water, I can't prove you wrong. If I were American I'd stand and clap then tip you a dollar.

to be honest I was unaware that it was a thing, I thought that the two kinds of actuators used were of the hydraulic/piston variety and the cable and pully variety.
also

Planes are fucking cool. Bumping this thread for OP, fuck the larps.

Attached: Boeing_787-8_N787BA_cockpit.jpg (2543x1700 691.85 KB, 2.49M)

what kind of engine should I put in an RC?
theyre all slightly different but I want one that produces the most power in comparison with fuel consumption, I can work around the size if need be.
I would like to go with the turbo prop but it seems rather complex (more so than a jet, which it essentially is but with a propeller) and also there seem to be very little information on building one, or nearly any engine for that matter.

Don't most gas-powered RC planes use Glowplug engines? Why not just use that?

I was not aware of that prior, thank you.
my idea was to try to build an engine of some variety but in all honesty that would be very unlikely as I don't posses the skills needed to do so. just seemed like a neat idea to me to build a super powerful RC plane that could go far, fast, and high

Tbf I've learnt things in one night before

If you want to break 300 mph then use turbojet. Otherwise go electric.

what the fuck man do some research before coming here asking stupid stupid shit

They make model jet engines. Not sure why he asked about a steam engine or a turbine engine (which I can only guess he was referring to a gas turbine engine where the output thrust is not coming from a jet exhaust but instead from an output shaft being driven by the turbine rotors)
The dude is obviously retarded at this subject (he didn't even know what a glowplug engine was) but EVERYONE was at his level at one point in their lives, even me. If he didn't ask these questions he wouldn't learn. No such thing as stupid questions

Attached: tenor.gif (420x314, 754.72K)

my goal was to break 100mph but i've never had a model plane before so its hard for me to picture/perceive it.

its like you never played pic related

I thought they were called turbo props but I guess its the same thing
also do you happen to be a fingerbox enthusiast?

Yeah I have a couple, why do you ask?

Attached: 1487560592473.jpg (799x1000, 85.43K)

well you seemed to be a pretty knowledgeable guy so I figured i'd bring it up, I built a model fingerbox recently and I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to improve it.

Attached: model finger box.jpeg (194x259, 5.23K)

i've been making r/c planes and drones for a while now, and i have my pilots license. You can break 100mph for under 150$ with a plane made out of cardboard, with a fairly standard electric engine and lipo battery.

But you're never gonna get there because you're already too fucking retarded to use google. No way you could understand the mechanics behind flight.

also one thing I wanted to do was somehow mount a live feed camera onto the front of the plane (fixed or swivel would be sufficient)
The things I think would be troublesome is 1. finding a suitable camera that doesn't have >480p quality (ie one that isn't granier than the beach) and 2. setting up the actual live feed, like somehow linking it to a computer or tv so I could pilot it in real time without actually having to be within sight of it, being able to control it with a console remote would be a plus but not required

well actually I've been staying up late scouring the wiki and other sources trying to find out the formulas and shit and in all honesty I've gotten some good info so far, but it's a lot of shit to know
(pls no bully)

pic related

Attached: steambirds.jpeg (235x170, 5.53K)

Aircraft powerplants are an entirely separate area of research. They are equally as complex as the rest of the airframe combined. There's a reason the engine is the only part of the plane that must be seperately flight-certified before certifying the plane in the FAA.

this dude on youtube is somewhere to look if you're interested in airplane/powerplant design from a pilot's perspective, specifically ww2 warbirds. He seems to specialize in superchargers. youtu.be/mzQuq2FHdeE

just... do some more research. Look at some actual r/c turbine engine manufacturers... they aren't cheap. A 300mph r/c plane costs almost as much as a new car, if not more.
Start with standard electric, refine your airframe, learn the basics of r/c, then move to a ducted electric fan to simulate a jet engine, focus on perfecting your airframe, then take the jump and dump the cash into a jet once you feel confident enough. Here's a beginner engine that I've seen on NASA r/c testbeds on youtube: pbs.cz/en/our-business/aerospace/aircraftgines/jetgine-pbs-tj23u (you seriously underestimate the costs involved with a jet, trust me stick with electric/gas, even rockets are cheaper for r/c cus you can make fuel)