Amazon botnet blogpost

So I bought my wife a Kindle and we got it and hooked it up to the wifi so she could access the Kindle store, and I thought to myself "Hey I wonder if Amazon is scarfing up my passwords" so I asked the Amazon help Pajeet and sure enough, any Wifi password you input into a Kindle is stored in their cloud, "Just in case you forget it" as the Pajeet says.

This is unacceptable. I wasn't warned or given a choice or any notification, and I even skimmed the 47 page long User Agreement. I suppose when they collect 'other data' from the Kindle they mean your passwords too? Will they store my TD Ameritrade password if I'm stupid enough to enter it?

This is just a blog but a warning about what you type your wifi password into as well. Stay frosty.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/why-call-it-the-swindle.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you can opt out of that, you know
I have a kindle too and it's as simple as unchecking a box

saving passwords from your perspective: OMG EVIL CORPORATE BOTNET DYSTOPIA 1984 LL YOUR DATA ARE BELONG TO US
saving passwords from amazon's perspective: HELLO AMAZON SUPPORT, I CANNOT USE MY KINDLE. PASSWORD? WIFI? WHAT IS THAT? WHERE IS THE POWER BUTTON? I AM 84 YEARS OLD I AM NOT A COMPUTER WIZ YOU CAN'T EXPECT ME TO KNOW THESE NEWFANGLED GIZMOS

I opted out of a half dozen things but I couldn't locate this checkbox. Where is it? I opted out of Whispernet's data collection, suggested books, Goodreads, highlighted passages, audio book free trials, magazine free trials, but there was nothing about this wifi scam anywhere I could see.

I'm going to create an ad-hoc network with a machine with ethernet and activate it just for the Kindle when my wife wants to browse. I had to change all my wifi passwords in the house which is an enormous pain in the ass (we're talking get the serial terminal connected to some machines) because I don't want botnet CIA Bezos attaching to my network.

It's not just "saving passwords" it's "giving them to Amazon without an express warning that they will be saved on Amazon's computers and you'd better pray that they have the best security and no secret laws or corporate partnerships allow access."

Bump, spooky. Now I know how those Amazon Buttons work, I always wondered how you input the wifi password.

I suppose if you change your password and then enter it into your Kindle it updates the Amazon botnet and the Buttons automagically update their own passwords...

Spooky.

Topkek

Attached: jgojzy1jjh521.jpg (552x644, 72.49K)

wow, it's fucking nothing
stop being paranoid buddy, it's not the 90s anymore and privacy isn't what it used to be

Can you glow a little less? You are blinding me.

too many edgy neckbeards in this echo chamber
it's really not good for your mental health to believe bullshit conspiracy theories
try venturing out of your Zig Forums safe space and you'll see that it's not normal to act like this

Your problem is the fact that they store your shitty WiFi password, and not the fact that they track every single thing you do on the thing and analyze it and sell it, and also that you don't actually own any of the books on it, you're paying to rent them and they could be taken away at any time for no reason?
What the fuck happened to Zig Forums?

Open source software could do the same thing and you'd never know if you didn't source dive.

Yeah I should just relax, my sphincter is pretty worn out from faceberg and jewgle as it is. Might as well accept ever more botnet, there's no use fighting it or anything.

it's quite strong

Nah I browse with Tor Browser and only use my normal ass connection for banking and bill paying and shit and I can block most every tracker.

Yeah I know, I have more than two thousand physical books and I have a nice printer I reload myself that I use to print anything I want for reference. Some day they will hit us with a virus slash emp slash whatever and I want my info on hand. I print my shit out 4 pages to a letter sized piece of paper too. It's legible but saves a lot of ink and paper.

CIA NIGGER

Normal people don't give a shit about security or privacy and regularly get fucked because of it. Why should I care what's normal?

Jesus fucking Christ Zig Forums has gone to utter shit.

If it's normal, then they are fuckin crazy. It's alright that many, more like 99% percent of them, were dumb peasants/proletarians, but it's unacceptable that, at least in my my state, we were having stalinist bureaucratic/police state apparatus shoved up their ass, and now they own even less and are spied on more than then, and are fuckin happy with it. Not sure about amerimutts, from their perspective they don't have any freedom since constitution, it's quite strange all that came from the real third reich.
Daily reminder that all wars that burger led were civil wars. Godard was right.

This
stop posting shit memes

WHY THE FUCK WERE YOU EVEN GIVING PAJEETZON YOUR MONEY
GO BACK TO 4CUCKS, (((REDPILLED))) RETARDS

Bump, this thread has really pissed off our resident glowdarks.

The first clue it's botnet is that your ebook reader has wifi. All it should need is an SD card slot or USB port.

A Kindle Fire is just an Android tablet with added Amazon bloatware
A kindle is just a shitty black and white tablet
they're no longer "just" ebook readers
The point of having wifi and internet connectivity is so Amazon can encourage people to buy more books
Every Amazon device, like the Amazon Echo, Kindle Fire, Kindle, Amazon Echo Show, etc. are all geared towards getting the person to buy more shit
You might be paranoid (as many autists on this board are) and think that it's about collecting your info, but at the end of the day, Amazon has one primary objective: selling shit to make money. It's not a government conspiracy, nor is it 1984. It's capitalism. Bezos has $156 billion because of Amazon. That's the bottom line.

That's what you get for using proprietary garbage.
That's what you get for taking license agreements seriously.
That's what you get for taking wifi security seriously.
That's what you get for trusting the network.
That's what you get for using proprietary garbage as a router.

Go back and crawl under your rock that you came out of for the first time since the 90's.

While I agree with you 100% a lot of people compromise on things and accept partial botnet even knowing what they're doing. Look at all the security researchers who use iOS and Macs.

If I could find a nice modern e-ink reader device without any wireless networking which took PDFs over USB or on an SD card I'd love to get one. I have half a dozen Sony Readers from the pre-botnet era but their batteries are all shot and impossible to replace.

Now address the secret corporate partnerships and laws which might compel access...

He has a deal with langley spooks

You can read a book on anything. I used my NDS Lite to read novels via Moonshell. Even an old PDA would work fine. Just need to convert the ebook to plain text, if it's another format.

The only thing explicitly trying to "opt out" accomplishes is raising a red flag that you're someone to be inspected even closer.

Reminder that Amazon can remotely delete stuff on your Kindle (as happened with a book by Orwell that wasn't properly licensed) and that Amazons knows which passages you highlight.

law enforcement isn't a "secret" conspiracy you moron

Yeah let's just give Peter Strozrk or whatever his name is access to everything. And Reality Winner.

One of the database files from one of the Amazon apps

Attached: IMG_20181231_200238.jpg (1913x986, 150.63K)

true. Normal people actually don't even think much, making babies left and right, and then their lack of foresight becomes evident as single mothers need to care for their children.

If you're here then you've been warned, just not by Amazon

What I want is one of those new e-readers which has an HDMI input so you can finally have a crisp hi-dpi non-backlit monitor. Too bad they all have Wifi but it's better than them having cell data modems.

It ain't 2012 any more ya dumb glow nigger.

This is serious business and should be taken so.

Why Call It The Swindle?

I go out of my way to call nasty things by names that criticize them. I call Apple's user-subjugating computers the “iThings,” and Amazon's abusive e-reader the “Swindle.” Sometimes I refer to Microsoft's operating system as “Losedows”; I referred to Microsoft's first operating system as “MS-Dog.”[1] Of course, I do this to vent my feelings and have fun. But this fun is more than personal; it serves an important purpose. Mocking our enemies recruits the power of humor into our cause.

Twisting a name is disrespectful. If we respected the makers of these products, we would use the names that they chose … and that's exactly the point. These noxious products deserve our contempt, not our respect. Every proprietary program subjects its users to some entity's power, but nowadays most widely used ones go beyond that to spy on users, restrict them and even push them around: the trend is for products to get nastier. These products deserve to be wiped out. Those with DRM ought to be illegal.

When we mention them, we should show that we condemn them, and what easier way than by twisting their names? If we don't do that, it is all too easy to mention them and fail to present the condemnation. When the product comes up in the middle of some other topic, for instance, explaining at greater length that the product is bad might seem like a long digression.

To mention these products by name and fail to condemn them has the effect of legitimizing them, which is the opposite of what they call for.

Companies choose names for products as part of a marketing plan. They choose names they think people will be likely to repeat, then invest millions of dollars in marketing campaigns to make people repeat and think about those names. Usually these marketing campaigns are intended to convince people to admire the products based on their superficial attractions and overlook the harm they do.

Every time we call these products by the names the companies use, we contribute to their marketing campaigns. Repeating those names is active support for the products; twisting them denies the products our support.

Other terminology besides product names can raise a similar issue. For instance, DRM refers to building technology products to restrict their users for the benefit of someone else. This inexcusable practice deserves our burning hatred until we wipe it out. Naturally, those responsible gave it a name that frames the issue from their point of view: “Digital Rights Management.” This name is the basis of a public relations campaign that aims to win support from entities ranging from governments to the W3C.[2]

To use their term is to take their side. If that's not the side you're on, why give it your implicit support?

We take the users' side, and from the users' point of view, what these malfeatures manage are not rights but restrictions. So we call them “Digital Restrictions Management.”

Neither of those terms is neutral: choose a term, and you choose a side. Please choose the users' side and please let it show.

Once, a man in the audience at my speech claimed that the name “Digital Rights Management” was the official name of “DRM,” the only possible correct name, because it was the first name. He argued that as a consequence it was wrong for us to say “Digital Restrictions Management.”

Those who make a product or carry out a business practice typically choose a name for it before we even know it exists. If their temporal precedence obligated us to use their name, they would have an additional automatic advantage, on top of their money, their media influence and their technological position. We would have to fight them with our mouths tied behind our backs.

Some people feel a distaste for twisting names and say it sounds “juvenile” or “unprofessional.” What they mean is, it doesn't sound humorless and stodgy—and that's a good thing, because we would not have laughter on our side if we tried to sound “professional.” Fighting oppression is far more serious than professional work, so we've got to add comic relief. It calls for real maturity, which includes some childishness, not “acting like an adult.”

If you don't like our choice of name parodies, you can invent your own. The more, the merrier. Of course, there are other ways to express condemnation. If you want to sound “professional,” you can show it in other ways. They can get the point across, but they require more time and effort, especially if you don't make use of mockery. Take care this does not lead you to skimp; don't let the pressure against such “digression” push you into insufficiently criticizing the nasty things you mention, because that would have the effect of legitimizing them. gnu.org/philosophy/why-call-it-the-swindle.html

God I love that man. He saw where we were heading thirty-five years ago.

he's an autist who wrote a shitty text editor decades ago and acts like he's the fucking god-king of technology
and he's still salty that linus's contributions are talked about more than his, throwing temper tantrums and demanding that people say "guhnoo slash linucks" instead of linux
no one should take this egomaniac manbaby seriously

Stallman was already an accomplished hacker long before he started his Emacs fork. He was at the forefront of software technology as an operating systems programmer in the 1970's. Stallman actually knows what is a computer and what is computer software.

The jew who can't stop eating his own feet?

He doesn't even program anymore. He has all the people he suckered into the free software movement work on software that he can use for free as in $0.

He pretty much single handedly wrote the early GCC versions which have been incredibly important ever since, too.

The only faggot is you for loving a dude (that's gay btw) over a common idea.

You're totally convincing me, go on...

USE CALIBRE

It works but it's one of the worst pieces of software ever made.