How can I type faster Zig Forums...

How can I type faster Zig Forums? Do you have any advice for me other than aiming for precision and just keep practicing? I only have a laptop keyboard and my current speed is around 55 wpm and dont need to look at the keyboard most of the time.

Attached: a_doggo's_solitude.jpg (640x717, 45.48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

keybr.com/
github.com/openstenoproject/plover),
broderbund.com/education
workmanlayout.org/
amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR3XBDC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can you actually touch type?

keybr.com/

You don't need to type faster, it won't make you code better.

The speed at which I think is the bottleneck to how fast I can type. I imagine it's the same with most people. I type a few words then stop and reread what I wrote and figure out how I want to word myself, then type a few more words. For example, this post took me about 3 minutes to type even though I get high scores on typing speed tests.

What are you typing for? If it's for programming, then you must be using a really terrible language to have to type faster than that. If it's for typing actual words, you should take a look at some Plover (github.com/openstenoproject/plover), or any other stenography project. Personally I don't need steno because my IQ is too low to think up more than ~50WPM, even though I easily type 70.

I fucking hate all these newfags who keep making threads for asking questions they already know the answer to, yes nigger keep fucking practicing, typing fast doesn't matter for programming anyway like a few people already said.

Dumb nigger doesn't know about Mavis Beacon

broderbund.com/education

I think the dev for that actually programs in steno mode, gave a talk about it some time ago

Code.

Is this really a thread?

Chording is for people that can harmonize presses with N-rollover keyboards, not something everyone can afford and do.

If you're using QWERTY then switch to another layout. I've been using DVORAK for years and it's much more comfortable and efficient.

No, use workman: workmanlayout.org/

Wrists up, a very good posture and train on a keyboard that requires a lot of force (buckling springs, heavy mx clones), exercise and strengthen your wrist.
I recommend typing of the dead (if you want muh freedoms use speedpad and the like)
You could try typing under a desk/table, so you don't waste time lifting your hand, but I don't think that's worth it being precise is more ideal.

Do not feel bad for being able to reach 100 wpm, apparently it's the top 1% and even something like 150 wpm is a even lower percentage of users.

Attached: 110wpm.png (1105x417, 24.53K)

First you need to realise that you will have to abandon your current ways of typing entirely, and start typing with all 10 (or 9, if you want to always use just one of the thumbs) fingers, without using your vision to guide your fingers.

The second step is to realise that for all this to make sense if you use the command line or program in any language, you will need to become proficient in typing in the above manner not only alphabetic characters, and not only alphanumeric ones, but the whole main block of the keyboard (i.e. alphanumerics, special characters, and remaining modifier/control keys).

Step three is employing the home row starting position and starting to operate the keyboard in the manner described above. This will mean you initially have to fall back to full "software mode", i.e. you will have to counciously guide the correct finger onto the correct key by focusing your attention on it. For that you'll need to initially memorise the position of each character on the keyboard, and the movement associated with directing the proper finger onto the proper key. You will be slow, VERY slow. But it's necessary to get through it until you have developed your "hardware-accelerated driver" (i.e. muscle memory) for operating the keyboard. If you find yourself overwhelmed by frustration and are tempted to withdraw and just go back to your old ways of typing, you might have to resort to drastic methods such as sanding the labels off your keyboard (or, alternatively, putting stickers on your keyboard that mask the labels, or if you don't mind shelling out the shekels, buy one of those hipster keyboard which come labelless).

Step four begins once you've realised that you don't need to focus your attention on guiding the fingers anymore if you type slowly enough. From now on, it's mostly about improving performance, i.e. practicing to get faster and faster - this isn't going to be as tedious as the previous step though. You still need to pay attention to maintaining acceptable accuracy though, you need to attain proper muscle memory.

Good luck.

Buy yourself a max-sensitivity mechanical gaming keyboard even if you only do data entry. QWERTY isn't trained through games, it's trained through experience and by not looking down when you type. Eventually you just find yourself being a good typist the way Bart Simpson learned French.

It will force your fingers to learn precise articulation because otherwise you'll be typpiinnnnggg lliiikkeee thiiisss. It's so effective that it will keep your fingers warmed up every day if you're a musician and can't practice for weeks. Doesn't even matter which instrument.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (474x244, 203.89K)

What? like a keyboard with light keys? I would only argue for ergonomics but it is fun typing on very light keys especially with topre clones with a light weight (in the 35g area).

Why do nigger keep buying this shit?

This is the toolset of the CIA nigger. You cannot be CIA if you do not glow.

RGB lighting makes you type faster and improves your reaction time

what's the author/name of that painting?

Do y'all use your right CTRL Alt & Shift keys?
Or do y'all forget they exist?
Or do y'all only use 1 or 2 of them?
I wanna know.

Attached: right functions.jpeg (500x375, 175.16K)

RAlt: required in some keyboard layouts I use.
RShift: occasional use when my left hand is out of position.
RCtrl: compose key.

mavis beacon in the imac g3 during middle school taught me the basics......
then many years of MMO playing refined my skills...........

Plover, bro. Stenotype is fucking awesome.

www.ploverdojo.appspot.com to train without installing plover.

Protip: If you move your fingers faster while still hitting the correct keys, you'll find that your typing speed will increase.

Arrow key shift selection is sometimes easier with just the right hand. Other than that, I can hardly figure why they even exist.

you got to get to the point where you arent looking at the keyboard

I don't really use the bottom right portion of my keyboard. I use my keyboard at a slight angle which makes accessing the bottom left corner easier so I can comfortably use my modifier keys on the left.

Some people will naturally type faster than others because of their genetics, long fingers make typing harder since they get in the way. Typing speed doesn't matter for programming and is just for show.

right shift, never
right ctrl, sometimes but should use it a lot more
alt-right, always

My actual typing technique is terrible and I got 70 wpm, on a setup that makes everything even worse, and it was a pretty weak first try. Not a whole lot of space here, so my keyboard is on the left, which is not ideal. It tends to make me use mostly my index fingers (this is a bad habit of mine overall, but this keyboard makes it worse). I still didn't look at the keyboard at all, and I did it in the dark anyway so it wouldn't matter. If I am this terrible and I still beat you by quite a bit, you are definitely not fast. My advice would be to just keep typing and try to do it quickly and you will eventually get better. Still, you should probably try to do it the right way now. Changing your ways is a lot more difficult when you have a lot of practice, and in my case, I have decades of experience doing it wrong. Technique definitely matters. When I use my other computer, I type a lot more traditionally and it does feel better. Might be faster as well.

Never, I only use the menu key. I would just get rid of everything else. That reminds me that I have quite a few ideas for a keyboard design. I wish I had a 3D printer and maybe good switches that are still in production, but I am too poor and unemployed to buy one and good switches aren't even made anymore except buckling springs (Unicomp still makes them, but doesn't sell them separately as far as I know). I have been using the same cheap rubber dome keyboards for more than a decade. They are okay, and reliable as hell, so I guess I can't complain too much, but my design is definitely better.

One of the things that I would change would be to move the numpad to the left. That's where it should be. It wouldn't get in the way at all if it was there. Then again, the numpad wouldn't even necessarily be part of my keyboard, it would just be a detachable module and the keyboard itself would have USB ports on both sides. A trackball module could be cool too, on the right. It would make the whole thing a lot more symmetrical. A mouse is more precise, though, but having the option would be nice. Oh well, just another wasted idea. I have plenty of them. Hopefully I will be able to do it eventually, though.

Type faster!

I heard the kalih box switches are good. As of your numpad idea, it exists in the form of an external numpad. Trackball module doesn't really make sense unless you put it near the space bar.

This, once you're fast enough to compose yourself at approximately speaking rate you're more than fast enough.

Spending that time learning something new rather than getting better at secretarial skills like typing is where it's at.

Attached: kek.png (1221x191, 27.25K)

Related to this you ever use your numpad with the Numlock turned off?
I needed to for the first time today. Needed to be able to quickly select things with mouse and hit delete key. Realized I could keep a thumb on (.)Del and rest of hand on mouse and do both things with one hand.

Attached: numpad.jpg (530x530, 137.55K)

If you touch-type properly then you obviously use the modifier key opposite the hand hitting the key being modified. But how would you know that.

You're saying we should be using the right Ctrl key for Undo, Cut, Copy, Paste, Select-All, etc.?

Almost zero reason to not press the num lock and I only use it with blender when editing 3d models. Punching in numbers is just faster with the number row.
-t. I have never seen a calculator

Ideally yes, your pinky fingers aren't that strong of a muscle unless you hit the ctrl key with your palm.

If you can touch type that's fast enough for coding and efficient general use. You may want to get better at vi/emacs though. I'm more of a vim guy and it's useful not just there but for instance for browsing as there's often an extension to have mostly the same keys.
If you do need to be faster because you're a sexy secretary or something I don't know. In general though you want to get the technique right then speed it up, being faster while doing it wrong is a waste of effort.

I think you should ask is where do you even place your hands on the keyboard and the method in doing so. Like I have me left hand on the normal asdf set up but have my right index start on k but it's floating. I type quick I just need practice on not messing up keys. Doing right hand on jkl; is awful since it'll be always out of place since you're going to be using "_", "\", "." alot.

Typing fast is just being able to spell really fast in your mind and using your fingers to translate it to text. If you've been using a computer with a keyboard for a while, you should already know where every key is intuitively and how to reach that key without looking at your keyboard. At most, you should have to look at your keyboard 1-2 times just to confirm where something is if you aren't sure. I became a fast typist from my experience playing games when I was younger, for games where you often need to type and communicate with others mid-action. I didn't learn homerow or anything like that. I just learned how to move my fingers in a way to reproduce the words I'm thinking of. I recommend playing mavis beacon style games so that there is a sense of urgency and loss if you do not type fast enough. Also just type more dude. And do you even need to type fast?

For me I like I think that it was because I played piano at a young age. It taught me to keep my wrists up and a lot of muscle memory which carried over to typing.
I can peak out at like 139wpm, but average 115-120wpm for just shitposting and making people at work look like plebs.

Attached: slow shit.PNG (300x326, 12.58K)

Ever considered trying steno? Check out plover.

All keyboards seem to be produced for dainty manlet hands. Are there any scaled-up keyboards?

Attached: STOCKPHOTO.jpg (1200x900, 746.17K)

yeah try this one:
amazon.com/gp/product/B00BR3XBDC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought it for the 91 year old owner of where I work since he can't see shit and it's great.
The keys are huge, so for your giant caveman-like hands you should be able to smash the keys on it pretty good.