Codemonkey made blockchain image board?

twitter.com/CodeMonkeyZ/status/1072513133598658560

What do you guys think? Who is his team?

Attached: blockmeme.png (605x349, 40.97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/michrob/bitboard
iswc.pw/
bitmessage.org/wiki/POW
bitmessage.org/wiki/Compiling_instructions
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He can't even keep this bare bones shithole running smoothly so I'm sure it'll be a disaster.

This place is built on top of spaghetti code because Josh was a retard and failed us all so Codemonkey had to salvage this shitheap and overall he's done a pretty good job

Error 502 Ray
Bad gateway

great site

do they allow cp?

It's not anonymous. FBI can trace you if you post CP contents. Tor or I2P is more secure.

Attached: jew.jpg (600x600, 38.19K)

Quick, someone throw millions into it!

Attached: blockchain.png (1200x374, 112.35K)

what do memecoins and cockchains have to do with anonymity and free speech???????????????
is codemonkey actually retarded?

Lmao

Great idea

anonymity through p2p gossip network and encryption?
free speech because no government can regulate it?

That being said, I don't think it's useful to invest large amounts of resources (consensus) into an immutable ledger of image board posts. Rather, a transient network of nodes that organises into an image board would be more appropriate. Posts are protected against spam via PoW, and maybe ordering is acquired by having each post reference its predecessor or something.

It's weird how Tor could achieve both without memeshit.

Blockchain is nothing more than an quasi-immutable ledger. TOR is a network. TOR does not store any persistent data. Since image boards need to store their posts, it should be obvious that TOR alone is not sufficient. If you have an image board hosted over TOR, then shit like yesterday can happen, where the FBI raids the owner and makes it impossible to post anything (they actually deleted the post.php). If you have it decentralised, then you'd have to raid every peer at the same time to take down the network. So decentralisation is important for something like image boards.
However, blockchains are overkill, as they enforce immutable consensus and sequential ordering even across outages etc. An image board is mostly shit posting, so there is no need for eternal immutability of everything that was ever posted. An image board should regularly purge old posts (important ones can be archived manually).

why

Stop your fucking bloat meme. IPFS is litterally a distributed archive, predestined to bloat itself to death with garbage. There is no moderation about what content is to be deleted and what is to be remembered. I could upload terrabytes of random or encrypted data all day, for which the content deduplication would fail, meaning I can basically fill it up with garbage data. It will forever have to remember it, otherwise it will miss its only goal (to be an archive of all of current data).

OR you can just block shit you don't want, and people who don't mind will still have it.

It won't unless there are people downloading it. You're literally listing flaws of blockchain and not IPFS.
No, blockchain is.
Same as blockhain, except IPFS won't force anyone to download anything as long as every connected user doesn't have the junk data. Same as torrents. And you can opt out of downloading from specific users.
Same issue as everything else, including blockhain. Nobody is forcing you to download it.
Why the fuck are you still describing blockhain?

this

IT'S GONNA FAIL, LET'S ALL GO TO MEWCH INSTEAD

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (894x894, 377.77K)

Why not use torrents then? I don't understand the purpose of IPFS.

Compelling post, my dude

I will explain it for you MIT nigger
IPFS is content addressed data. That is what is meant by de-duplication, because every unique piece of data has a unique address. This is not the same as bittorrent where unique data can be grouped into separate swarms.

Watch the fucking video that introduces IPFS, and that benez guy will litterally say to you that IPFS is intended to archive everything, and that no information must get lost. He invented IPFS in response to many links on the internet going dead over time, and he wants it to prevent any link from going dead ever again. Now, if you think about what this would imply, I am pretty sure you will come to my conclusion.

you are a dumb nigger. You won't get a 2nd explanation. Fucking nigger.

I did not say that blockchain didn't have these problems. It's just as bad in this aspect, however,
This means that either the default behaviour is not to download anything, and you have to opt-in, which would lead to weak replication, or you download everything per default, where you would have to remove trash by hand. Also filtering per user is bullshit, as you can create new identities easily. And if you whitelist, you miss out on the important ones again. In the end, you'd have some whitelist curators that everyone would follow, which would lead to centralisation of decision making.

no amount of nigger reasoning will make something true

ipfs has already been explained here

please make room in your tiny nigger brain for another definition of the word hash

kek. I do understand content-based addressing, and that's not even what's making me hate IPFS. It's the fact that it has no incentives and protection mechanisms against spam. You don't pay for the storage, people offer it for free, and it can be misused to clog their hard drives. I don't think everything needs paying, but in this case, where you can't trivially discern whether data is spam or not, you have no good way of deciding what to store and what not to. This makes the system vulnerable.

no nigger, nobody is going to store your shit for free. Just because you don't pay your rent in real life doesn't mean you can get shit for free here. IPFS has a sister project called Filecoin where you can pay others to store your shit.

Attached: 75DA855E-F728-47D2-AB83-9295572FC9D7.png (1204x1211, 209.07K)

Attached: im_with_her.png (740x633, 44.47K)

To be fair the software for this site is a hacked together piece of shit, based on another hacked together piece of shit.

Attached: STI.png (476x481, 234K)

Maybe in your fucktarded country. But anyway show me one blockchain application that actually works aside from Bitcoin. Namecoin has potential because faggots love to buy TLDs but other than that, nothing. Why the fuck would you pay money to make your post sit in a queue and run your CPU at 100% all day when you can just use a model like Freenet or Bittorrent? Both of those would have more uptake if they were anonymous and thus no risk of fines for "piracy".

Well, there's also Proof of Space, which can be combined with storage rental, and consumes basically no power. If you design it right, you can run it on a Pi or something. The thing is, cryptocurrencies make you pay for everything to fight against freeloaders. Not sure how big of a problem they actually are, though.

Blockchain technology is a matter of a ledger; it's a way to record historical data. Let me assure you that businesses can readily make use of this kind of technology to verify the history of their business accounts.

Typical Zig Forums poster

Make the network currency inflationary, easy to mine/stake for the average user, do not list it on exchanges, and put out a faucet or incentives for quality posts?

The bad part would be if some spammer got 10000 shitpost coins and decided to spend them all at the same time. Or if glow in the darks mine the coin and dominate the hashrate, however they'd also be supporting the network in that way as well.

+ Have to add that I'm not overly concerned with the uptime of the site. Zig Forums going down for 7 hours means some minor inconvenience for me.

Still have to weigh the business model of shitpost coins vs selling advertising space + market data.

But I lol'd

Attached: terry-davis-temple-os-lol.jpg (433x293, 25.03K)

Part of why I come here is the ephemerality of my speech.

Why can't it work the same way as HTTP(S) or BitTorrent? What I'm suggesting is that only the data that the user requests is downloaded. That way the content that people care about would be archived, and the shit would disappear over time.

I'm not the guy you're replying to, but I genuinely don't know what "hostage bytes" is and search engines didn't help. Please explain.

I don't get it. Why would somebody want to run the mining operation for this?

no, it isn't (at least not and wont be enforced), and i came up with this idea in 2009 so fuck off.
sounds retarded
that's right, i don't give a shit about blockchain technology

This is the default behavior. IPFS is a low level protocol meant to be abstracted upon. For example the same people behind IPFS made filecoin which operates on IPFS and provides an incentive to host other people's files via cryptocurrency.

No one is forced to store your stuff.

No, you have to have intent behind the crime. This is the same reason why if you accidentally click on a link and see some CP it isn't illegal.

Currency should not be able to be sent to other users. It should only be able to deleted when making a post (or sent to a single wallet for the site). This would prevent being able to trade with other users. This deincentivizes mining a lot of coins and not using them for posting as that would make it harder for regular users to post.

This is how IPFS works by default.

Proof of Stake is another consensus algorithm where instead of mining and hash rate being what generates the coins, the users passively generate coins based on their balance.

Overall, it comes much less power.

There's some variants like delegated proof-of-stake. There's still a machine involved in the computation process (the person that operates it is the delegate), but the stake reduces the mining difficulty. And the users vote with their balance on reducing the mining difficulty. IMO, it's slightly better for the users as opposed to a Chinese corporation doing all the mining and having sway on the network.

Yep, I'm on Zig Forums alright

Who would want to do the consensus algorithm that runs this board? Doesn't that cost you a lot of money to run the calculations?

i know exactly how blockchain is implemented you nignog, i just don't care about the seven thousand variants that came out later. blockchain is not for data storage (but it can be used for it extremely inefficiently) so the fact that you geniuses come here saying shit like "store it in the blockchain mannnnnnn" does not give you any credit.

Jew detected.
Proof of Stake is where the rich get richer and the rich have all the power.
Proof of Work is labor based giving the currency an inherent value because people had to pay for the compute time rather than just sitting on their but all day letting their money do the work of making them money.

It looks like it's an app on susucoin which already has miners.

You also have a Chinese billionaire doing majority of the mining for Proof of Work / Bitcoin because he's both the manufactuerer of ASICs and the largest ASIC farmer. Additionally because China has the cheapest electricity. If you have no approval of his practices or have ideas contrary to his regarding protocol changes, there's no formal countermechanism to that on Bitcoin's network and there's no choice for the users to decide who gets to mine the coins.

For dPOS that choice exists.

Do more than a surface level glance at a topic and a baseless (and completely off) toss of the word "jew".

Also that same Chinese billionaire goes awol over the idea of segwit, funds a fud campaign, hard-forks btc, then tries to pump his hard fork on a Korean exchange (which completely fell apart once that Korean exchange went offline).

Decentralized anonymous imageboards with client side moderation has already been solved. Using blockchains for direct communication is beyond retarded.
github.com/michrob/bitboard

Attached: bitboard.png (2234x1681, 307.35K)

The difference is in PoS the wealthy people can hoard their money since they generate money off of it and won't want to sell it to you. With PoW you can always go for more hash power to rise up to the work of other people.

Not necessarily when several users with small balances outweigh the millionaires, but I don't think wealth distribution is a problem that is thoroughly solved in either system.

I don't think you're thinking about the costs of mining too well. How do you expect to pay for all the mining equipment? Not only to mine profitably (i.e naturally cold enough climate for cooling costs to be low, electricity costs being cheap enough- varies by region/country), but compete with the manufactuerer of the mining equipment at the same time.

this. blockchain is the opposite of anonymous
but if it works with Tor, blockchain could allow it to be censorship resistant

correct. they can just overtake this domain

you cannot stop anyone from selling coins.
a guy could make a software that will create a new address, mine one coin (or some other amount), then make another address and mine a coin. later he can sell those addresses (wallets) to people. so some political party will buy a lot of wallets and use it to spam chan during elections.

can post CP?

Okay how about you are forced to immediately spend it or it is destroyed.

can someone pay for me?

How about you will sell it immediately then? And person who bought will immediately use it

dilbert was so far ahead of its time

Are you that daft you can't see it's an edit?

holy shit looks like he is trying to sell something

Can't wait for this to fail like canvas did with moot and then watch him sell out the site with tracking scripts.

I just tried bitmessage and I literally can not close the GUI to restart the program.

I tried.

Attached: 2018-12-31-120107_2560x1440_scrot.png (1248x1177, 77.85K)

Won't it just cost fractions of a penny?

Tor sites do have persistence.

Only good point you made is permanence of shitposting. As long as it can't be deanonymized it should be fine. The site could also host some temporary content separate from the blockchain.

BM-2cT8vbTydpqkE4xLduHFiXXgqwB6jNh4yo

I'm retarded and can't see any message on bitboard chans. Someone call me a faggot.

Ok. I tried about 5 times to attach a 200 kB image. I guess that's the downside.

Attached: anndr-undergroundcity.jpg (1400x755, 214.22K)

holy shit nevermind.

Attached: 2018-12-31-132730_2560x1440_scrot.png (836x255, 180.8K)

TOR site != TOR
TOR ist just the network, TOR sites are servers hosting websites over TOR, of course they store it persistently, but once a TOR server is hacked, it's lost agian.

Okay guise i've been wondering why is the net so bloated today heres an example:

iswc.pw/

like why the fuck this uses 40% of my cpu

plus the design is so fucking hipster trash

is this the state of modern web development??

Attached: burger.jpg (630x446, 109.72K)

Eww

coDEMONkey
So anyone got this working on a Eunuchs machine?

It closes to a tray icon by default.

Zig Forums is BM-2cTcTw1ZuyY4eYffL5dzTCGS5Ud4zP6TVm

Do you always use new software without reading how it works? Bitmessage uses a very short PoS for each post. It's not mining any coins it's just used as a way to deter spam on the network. You can customize the amount of PoS required to send to your address.

It's a different problem. I was pressing [X] on the GUI, but nothing was happening.

I know that part. Just that using all six cores at 100% is unacceptable. It also took a long time for me to upload an 80 kB image (couldn't upload a 200 kB image to begin with).

Plus it won't use my video card.

Attached: 2018-12-31-153442_2560x1440_scrot.png (828x684, 94.79K)

holy fuck how did they get it to be worse than cuckchan

This board is looking pretty empty too.

Attached: 2018-12-31-154554_2560x1440_scrot.png (1250x1173, 44.01K)

What distro are you using? What version of Bitmessage are you using? It's been working fine for me.
You can limit it to fewer threads but it will take longer.
Only text can be sent so it converts images to base64. An 80Kb image is 107Kb of base64 text. The longer the message the more difficult the PoW required.
bitmessage.org/wiki/POW
OpenCL support is experimental right now. I haven't gotten it to work for me. A new version is going to be released in January though so hopefully it will work.

I sent a message an hour ago. Since you just added the address you need to restart Bitmessage so it can request previous messages. Also note that the default message TTL (Time-To-Live) is 4 days. This can be extended to a max of 28 days. In reality posts live much longer since replies are done email style (all previous replies are included in your reply).

cripplepaste just provided some more Zig Forums lore yesterday on his twitter.

Attached: HW_twitter.png (640x456, 49.78K)

Won't glow-in-the-darks just upload some CP that sits there forever, making hosting of the blockchain illegal?
Was CodeMonkey inspired by the claims the BTC blockchain had CP on it?

Restarted twice and still not seeing anything on Zig Forums.

Xubuntu 18.04
PyBitMessage 0.6.3.2-1cdbb90

Attached: mokou-shrug.png (279x303, 132.96K)

Cripplekike already sold us out to the feds so this would be the second time we got fucked.

I think you can easily design a blockchain such that there are no coins, but still keep the PoW to secure consensus: Posts have a PoW attached, which gives them weight (instead of maximising a block's fees, maximise the PoW sums of the included posts). Blocks themselves are also secured with a PoW, but unlike posts, link to the previous block. Posts themselves should not be linked to blocks or previous posts to prevent forks throwing out posts.

PoW was originally designed for combating email spam.

You followed the instructions? It might be a qt4 issue. They're switching to qt5 (hopefully) in January.
bitmessage.org/wiki/Compiling_instructions

That's what Bitmessage does. What purpose does a blockchain serve for direct communications? Why would you need a PoW secured chain when all messages are signed? If a majority attack happened then you would notice your post is missing and would repost your message. There's no need for the messages to be globally ordered in the exact same order. A latency of a few minutes is more then reasonable.

I know I at least did that part right.

I like the concept. I'd use something like Bitmessage more so than e-mail if I could talk to the same amount of people. Maybe if Bitboard better supports images- if it can- and the thread visibility is less weird (I still don't see a single topic on Zig Forums).

Are you sure you're connected to other nodes? Check the Network Status tab. Someone responded to my post so at least one other person got it working. Messages can take over 20 minutes to fully propagate if you're only connected to a few nodes. I'm connected to both tor and clearnet nodes.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-31_21-56-10.png (1905x955, 107.45K)

That's me. I've been green the whole time though.

Attached: 2018-12-31-190300_2560x1440_scrot.png (1252x1203 28.89 KB, 85.14K)

What good does signing do on an image board? As long as you don't name-fag, it makes no sense, and reduces anonymity. And if you name-fag, you'd somehow have to make verifiable that a name belongs to a specific PK, or the other way around, which seems impossible at first glance. Also, you need a PoW-secured chain to prevent alterations of the history, and a uniform order in which posts appear to readers.
If you don't have consensus on messages, that's fine too, but you cannot reliably fetch the history of a thread before you joined anymore.
And even for signed messages you need PoW to prevent spam.

Why not proof of stake?

Usually everybody gets the same interest with Proof of stake, so if everybody is earning the same percent, then there is no rich getting richer in relative terms.

WHHHOOOOOAAAAAHHHH!!!!!
IT'S ON THE BLOCKCHAIN MAN!
IT'S ON THE CHAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!

Attached: me smurt.png (645x729, 67.86K)

What good does signing do on an image board?
Tripfaging in the rare cases it's needed. Otherwise everyone shares the same private key or ideally each post uses a one time key.
Alterations to the posts are secured through signatures. Alterations to the history can be secured through a simple linked list where the next post in the thread refers to the previous post all the way up to the OP. This forms a DAG which can be globally consistent without having to use other consensus mechanisms like PoW or PoS.
You can. If this system was hosted through IPFS for example, all you would need to do is traverse the linked list to get the previous post hashes in the thread. You would need the newest post to work backwards if you didn't know the whole thread. That's not very likely to happen in practice since there would be sites that track and archive posts. It could look like a regular imageboard but the content could be created and distributed peer-to-peer.
The PoW would be generating new valid signatures that are used to sign posts. The OP could set difficulty parameters for the thread. For example every post's public key must start with 0xDEADBABE if using hex keys or "FaggotNiggers" if using base64. A minimum amount of required PoW characters should be enforced.

No, typically the amount you have affects the chance that you will "mine" more coins. People with very little coins have almost no chance of winning.

It's super obvious what happened to anyone paying attention.

Site was doing okay until Patreon cracked-down on him, and then basically any method for processing payment was subsequently blocked. The users of this site were giving him enough to keep the lights on, but (((they))) didn't like that so they disrupted our ability to send reliable income. He got some big Bitcoin donations but there wasn't the same cashflow as before.
He started working with Jim to get "temporary" hosting, but I think we all knew it was going to be hard to go back, especially when he stopped looking for alternative payment processors.
Josh gets hired at a point to build Infinity Next. He was a huge autist and while Hotwheels is sweet on the guy we all thought he was a faggot for a reason. Constantly sperg'd out at the community, didn't handle criticism well, and the constant "Want me to press the button and do it? I'll migrate us right now!" and then when we called his bluff he did it and blew his own foot off.
Dude was a frontend dev and not a great one; the idea that he could make an efficient, scalable backend is pretty laughable. Granted, I doubt I could, either, but I'm not a webdev. Whoever vetted him did a bad job.
I think Hotwheels is mostly nice to him because they hung out a lot and Josh packed up and moved across an ocean to work on it and probably could have made more money just staying home if he was actually looking for real work.
By this point, Jim already owned the old domain and the servers and was having his company run ads and help patch things.
Site was dying, but only because posting would sometimes fail outright and pages loaded slow.
Just not sustainable.
Finally Hotwheels cashes-out whatever he has left to Jim and goes away.

He was set up to fail, but he set himself up to fail. He made a deal with the devil during a time of desperation and he didn't do everything in his power to keep the sheep sailing. Ultimately, that's his failure. As an administrator for the users, he was excellent; better than we deserve. But as an administrator who can ensure smooth sailing he did a terrible job. It was always going to be difficult to run this site, but he couldn't hack it unfortunately. There was almost certainly more that could be done but he had limited means at the time and now he's retired and surrounded by "nurses" so he really traded-up.

There's really not much to the "lore", unless some of you guys weren't around for the turmoil. I'm glad the site didn't die. Things have been improved. I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop and for Jim to wipe this place out for his own benefit, whether that be upgrading to some awkward blockchain system or just trying to squeeze every penny out of us. I know people like Jim and while he's probably pretty forgiving about things like free speech he's also in it to make a buck and he's not running this site for charity or fun.

Attached: 1788b22817a429d781d82885e1292ffb29c9833471411a10de00bc9290110f5c (1).jpg (389x378, 19.68K)

They should hire the guy who wrote nginx to write an imageboard backend.

What fucking problem are you trying to solve? Do you want a name to uniquely map to a single PK? PK is already an identity. The "I suggest you refer to me by this name" field is just metadata.
This is what blockmemes actually believe.

dead on arrival
reminder that pedoshits ruin imageboards by inviting alphabet spaghetti agencies into the admin team