Windows 7 is coming to an end

Extended support for windows 7 ends on January 14th 2020 whilst security updates will end for professional and enterprise editions in January 2023. The end of an era is nearing us gentlemen, spend these last years with windows 7 wisely.

Attached: 3D-Broken-Windows-7-HD-Wallpaper-800x600.jpeg (800x580, 157.8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thepiratebay.org/user/generation2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who cares? I still have an XP and I use it (mostly offline) for stuff like DVD Shrink and Nero Burning Rom and media conversion tools.

>>>/g/

What exactly is the difference ?.

So there's a "PoS 2019" version of Win7, which will be supported longer, like the PoS 2009 version of XP which is just now being discontinued?

Most likely.

What about driver support? Because the general rule is that even for the most popular consumer Windows systems driver support is retired by hardware vendors about 2 years before end of extended support of the OS version (Win98SE was EoL'd in 2006 and drivers for it were hard to come by after 2004, with XP it was similar in that XP drivers started to disappear in 2012, about 2 years before XP's 2014 EoL). From that it would seem that new hardware hasn't supported Win7 since about a year already.

What should I have migrated to 5 years ago, and better yet, what should I be migrating to now?

I think driver support ended in 2015.

either Linux based operating systems mac OS or windows 10. Say what you want about windows 10 it still beats 8 and 8.1.

I fucking hate this site now. yeah yeah I know the original BO is a windows user, doesn't change my point

JUST

>>>/g/

support is only ending for consumer/home user versions
windows 7 will still be around in enterprises for a long time

Install gentoo.

lol honestly it's fine; you shouldn't have anything personal to hide at work anyway. I click Accept and opt into all optional metadata gathering programs at my work. Fuck them.
If corporations start pushing back against this trend and championing privacy then we'll get some traction. Having disgruntled individuals fixes nothing.

No mention of Windows 7 Ultimate?

Win10

To clarify the shit OP:

Is LTSB/LTSC more than a placebo?

If you do not care about systemDick

running server 2012 r2 as workstation with directx dlls copied over
its like if win8 had ltsb/ltsc
you can install minimal things and remove practically everything with the Server Manager

it still has the ability of not installing the full Desktop Experience and just what you need (something Microsoft for no good reason removed from future Windows versions)
i am not talking about Core, i am talking basic desktop without the crap

If you know a systemDick-free distro that is as polished and newb-friendly, I'd love to know.

devuan
void
MX
There's a thread on nanochan about this, but unironically everyone should experience Gentoo as their first linux distro.

I too desire to know

Honestly ganoo+loonix has come a really long way. The switch isn't that hard. Just virt windows software or run it with wine if you need it

I started off with gentoo knowing absolutely nothing about linux about 13 years ago. All I had was the gentoo installation manual and some time. I still use it, even made a decent living off it for a while. If you never knew linux as something else as a bunch of files and scripts, you'll think people using stuff like systemdickless are retarded. You'll just see no need for it. to make that systemd comparison now, runit is my init system now. No need to ever update it because it's feature-complete.

You'll never know because MS is poz AF

Fuck off, communist.

Wow I won't be able to get updates from the updater that I turned off long time ago, better downgrade to windows 10 asap

PCLinuxOS
SalixOS

gentoo, obviously

If you're currently a BOTNET/Windows user, no, you do not care.

LTSB/LTSC is no new drivers version of Windows 10. You get a full release only every 3 years(I think thats how it works now), and you get no new driver support in the interim. There's most likely a way to hack the newer drivers into working, so its not a big bother. Otherwise, it doesnt have winstore apps, but it still has telemetry and a lot of the underlying garbage that goes with it. I would say use only have carefully pruning your system.

JUST 👏🏽 UPDATE 👏🏾 IT 👏🏿
You don't run the same car forever, things break down and it's time to move on.

Is this Zig Forums?

Get PCLOS to last more than three boots, dare ya.

Just run a windows vm inside whatever *nix/bsd. 3D acceleration drivers are capable without having to spend hours configuring each thing/running specific old versions.

PCIE passthough is also an option if it's graphically intensive.

Also its founder and lead is currently battling cancer

Devuan

Calculate Linux (based on gentoo). It offers binary packages but you can switch to dowloading source and compiling like with normal Gentoo.

Yeah, it's amazing in which weird ways wine still can be broken. You'd even get a game up and running fine in wine with all graphics, just for the mouse not to work properly. Stuff like that. VMs are good for your blood pressure.

Well shit. That sucks ass. Let hope they figure out there are about 50 cures for it.

I'd love PCLOS to work, but the filesystem always shits itself.

You could do windows 9/windows 8.1 embedded edition

There is no point of using windows if you don't play video games

careful, you're glowing

Why no mention of BSD or any of the other unix like operating systems that isn't GNU/Linux or MacOS?

Attached: unlimited free time.png (1920x1090, 1.67M)

BSDs don't support recent hardwares. Only Linux and Windows support recent hardwares.

Last time I checked, only openbsd has terrible hardware support. freebsd has decent hardware support though I could understand if you didn't want to use it because of the ideology behind the main developers. Not sure what the current status of dragonfly or netbsd, but they can't be worse than openbsd.

Why run BSD on a desktop over Linux? From a new user's standpoint, FreeBSD is just Linux with worse driver support.

Attached: 52618c60b9266ddd8141104359ea16ac.jpg (566x800, 318.5K)

The latest version of FreeBSD still doesn't have working 3D with AMD cards from two (going on three) years ago.

this but unironically

As sad as it is, the *BSDs are pretty much behind in everything compared to Linux, so it's not even the same, it's somewhat worse. I would like it to be different because having a good selection is a good thing but it's just not the way it is.

Why should I stop using something that works perfectly well because the jew who sold me a product wants me to buy the new one.

If you fall for this user, and accept Windows 10 or to give up your everyday software falling for commercial arguments, commit suicide immediately.

"Say what you want about windows 10 it still beats 8 and 8.1"
Develop and bring proofs so I can dismantle your opinion, as I forced a company to migrate away from Win10 to LinuxMint, and roll back to Win7 pro on some workstations.
If you are afraid about viruses, you don't know how viruses works. If you fear for an attack, you think it's the role of the OS to keep you secure.
It's not.
It's the role of your router, firewall, network to keep you safe from any attack.
You can't be a good IT if you don't know this.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14.96K)

server 2012 r2 (8.1 based) in minimal install without most of the unnecessary components + directx dlls added back is better than Win7 in EVERY WAY, its also better than 10 since you have more control over what Windows does

Not any better than a newer OS, all telemetry of Windows 10 has been backported to 8 and 7 but not to Windows Vista.
According to your logic the most secure Windows is Windows Vista.
The only reason people still like 7 is because muh it's not 8 (the start screen) or 10 (the split control panel).

Since it's a Windows thread. Do we have any Windows anons here?
I'm still interested in the solution to

Because you are too dumb not to control what updates you install.

No. It's because it works and they have no reason to buy spyware.

No shit.

gpedit.msc

Attached: 50221053_215808859366174_1672180190245027840_n.jpg (651x729, 60.43K)

You can activate it for free for 38 years.
I'm asking for the group policy path because I can't find it, you faggot, not because of being to retarded to open it.

It's not "free". It's data-mining on you.
Don't install Windows 10.

How do you do that?

So to sum up
- You tell others to move to Win10
- Run Windows Server without any basic knowledge on the tools present since Windows 2000

True. Not gonna upgrade, Win7 gets everything done right, fuck the botnet fanatics.

Why would I? I'm talking about Windows Server Datacenter where you can disable EVERYTHING.
If you really want to you can disable the task scheduler too (which runs the telemetry which can't be disabled on the regular version btw).

No, I asked whether there is a group policy to change a certain behavior I described.
If you don't play vidya and aren't a long term Windows user, other OSs are probably better for you.
Office stuff, mail, media consumption etc can be done well one any OS.

Oh shit, that sucks. You mean I will be forced to upgrade? Fucking donkey balls

No. Why would you even think that? Windows 7 will continue to work beyond 2020.

Attached: hardcore.png (520x355, 189.71K)

Relatively recent hardware which still suports Windows 7 will have a much shorter lifespan due to planned obscolescence and shittier quality. Also, major webbrowsers are expected to retire Windows 7 support much, much quicker than it was the case with XP - maybe even as early as 2021.

Agree with finding working system drivers but the browser situation is not that grim

Attached: win2k.png (1280x800 89.22 KB, 398.28K)

Why? It's just WorstBSD (TM). You could install a GNU/Linux distro and get the same and more out of your machine.
Same with XP unless you're regularly using Windows binary software and your specs are too low for Wine.

whatever you do, dodge *BSD, it's meme garbage. Even Haiku is more functional.

Those are just examples, friendo. And Linux is not a panacea when dealing with older hardware unless you want to run kernel 2.4 with xvesa

Attached: powerpc.jpg (600x428 14.7 KB, 70.08K)

It doesn't matter. Letting Windows update is pretty foolish to begin with. There is no real benefit to doing so when expecting safety from Windows is a stupid idea anyway, at the same time it gives Microsoft more freedom to fuck with you. Of course, I have always pirated Windows, so I trust them even less. Forget about safety on Windows, that just doesn't exist, get another computer for that. My Windows 7 PC will eventually be offline forever and that's it. I don't use new hardware, so that shouldn't be a problem. If my hardware dies, I can just get more old hardware for dirt cheap. Having Windows around will probably always be useful, so there's no reason to get rid of Windows 7. 10 will always be useless as far as I'm concerned.

I have never used Mac in my life, but I seriously doubt that it's worse than the BSDs. Hell, the BSDs are even worse than Linux and Windows, and that's quite an accomplishment. Nothing can possibly be that bad, right? RIGHT?

You might want to learn how to fix that old hardware.
Even learning something as easy as identifying bad caps and knowing how to replace them is miles better than relying on supply of old hardware, because that will run dry someday soon.

I know how to do that and already own a soldering station. Still, you can't always just fix things forever. I don't worry too much about running dry because hardware tends to last a long time and most people are idiots that spend a fortune on new shit every year or two so they're not buying hardware from a decade ago. It's not a big deal, the supply is way too huge. Depending on where you are, you can just buy 10 decent computers for a pretty trivial amount of money right now and they would be enough for most tasks. Maybe even get them for free. People don't mention enough the importance of saving money. High prices are bloat too.

If you take advantage of how wasteful everyone else is, you can almost live in post-scarcity right now, at least when it comes to technology. I guess it's the one good thing about living in the dystopian present day. The hardware itself isn't exactly trustworthy, but it works, and the internet as it is (or was) will probably not exist at all by the end of the next decade anyway, and the old stuff will be enough for an offline life (and that may end up leading to quite a bit of innovation in software, since a lot of people that understand technology won't have access to as many distractions). Then again, getting your hands on IBM's server hardware will become easier as it becomes older, so maybe getting something safer will be viable later on. We will find a way. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Hopefully people will stock up like you are doing so that we won't have to depend on bartering with anything but our skills and competency.

What specific period are you aiming for as far as hardware is concerned?
Do you predict it will be severely restricted and become akin to cable TV where what and how you can access is quite limited?

For general use and in an offline world, nothing in particular, just whatever happens to be good enough, and cheap. With no web browsers to worry about, that would lower the bar even more. For fun, it depends on what I want to do, so basically decent hardware to run DOS and every relevant version of Windows. If all else fails, I can always play Doom, Duke Nukem 3D and Diablo and (re)watch old anime for the rest of my life. I have a lot of books, videos, games and a bunch of other shit, so I will never be bored. My most recent hardware is from I think 2012.

For programming, anything is good enough as far as I'm concerned, so I'm using 2008 hardware that was already underpowered at the time, just because it's power efficient. It doesn't make noise most of the time as well, though trying to open shitty websites on shitty browsers still makes it roar anyway, so the new computer tends to be better for that. Right now it's basically a Forth machine, because that's what I'm learning now, and I tend to use that computer exclusively for whatever purpose I have in mind and keep everything else out of it, when I want to focus. It's exclusively for programming, so distractions are not allowed there, only the books that I need. Just a default Devuan install with my configs. I will get rid of Linux eventually as well if my plans go well.

Pretty much. The world government (lets face it, they are all the same and have the same plans in mind, so we might as well just call them that) will also do everything that it can to force people to use it as well. Everything will be online and you will be practically stateless if you refuse to use the internet. Only content approved by the government will be available, so it will be essentially useless if what you have to say goes even slightly against the zeitgeist. Propaganda, tyranny and corporate garbage, that's all it will be useful for. Hopefully people that refuse to use it will form groups of outcasts that are kinda left alone by the government, kinda like the Amish in America. Being allowed to live outside of society is good enough for me.

I gather that a decent Core2 platform with some slightly newer upgrades (graphics card, HDD, USB3 controller, 1440p monitor) would be ok?

DOS 6.22/Win 3.11
Win 98 SE
Win XP SP3
Win 7 SP1
That would be it, wouldn't it?

Thing is that data needs storage media which in turn has a limited lifespan (and so do drives for removable media, e.g. an optical drive won't last forever - quite to the contrary, what's left of DVD burners now is much poorer quality than they used to be a decade ago and earlier). Sooner or later you will need to migrate your data to other storage devices, and at some point available replacement which is in good working order (so you can trust putting your data on it) won't be compatible anymore with your existing hardware. 4k native sectors (without any 512 byte emulation) HDDs which we'll be stuck with eventually (assuming HDDs are even still sold to consumers at that point) aren't properly supported on anything older than Win 8.x if I recall correctly, and if the smallest drives will be in excess of 2TiB then this also excludes BIOS/MBR compatibility (that's more of a boot device concern, but stil).

If you're willing to stay offline I don't see the point of restricting your hardware.
There is zero chance of anyone being free if they comply. Also, the Amish aren't free.

ganoo slash yoonix my lad

My w7 runs with an activator and i blocked all updates for the past 3 years to prevent win10 surprise butt-fuck forced install.
By 2020 i expect a release of w7 fully updated and debloated i will use for ten more year.

This may interest you: packs of Windows + all important updates + activation. Only not debloated, but if your hardware is so weak that Win7 needs debloating, you're better off with a lightweight Linux.
>thepiratebay.org/user/generation2/

The kicker here is you cannot fucking install PowerShell, and .NET 4.X and some Visual C++ Redistributables (including the latest one) are not built-in, so you have the choice of downloading and installing them.

If you can't handle one Os upgrade every 5 years, try buying from Apple

Just install Gahnoo plus Loonix. Ubuntu has auto updates, an application store and even fucking Discord so you will feel right at home.

/thread/