I quit

I started working at 15, when I took a job as a pizza cook. Over the next seven years, I moved up the ranks, to a driver, shift manager, and then as part of the “new store opening team.” The franchise was growing, and we needed to help new franchisees open their new stores. I’d travel to where the new store was a week before they would open, help train the new staff, and then work their opening weekend. It was really fulfilling work; if pizza paid as well as tech, I’d seriously consider doing it forever.

One time, somewhere in Maryland, I got a bit ill. It wasn’t a good idea for me to work the rest of the week, but the company’s top brass would usually visit to cut the ribbon on the store. It was about a four hour drive back to home, and our COO graciously agreed to let me come back to the ‘burgh with him, so I could recover at home. On the drive, I asked him what he did before working here, and the answer really surprised me. “Oh, I was the CEO of American Eagle. I grew them from 20 locations to 200, and then decided to move on.” To a kid from the suburbs, being in charge of one of the most popular clothing brands among my peers seemed like a great gig. Why’d he quit? The answer is something that’s really stuck with me; this happened about fifteen years ago. What he told me was this: at each stage of a company’s growth, they have different needs. Those needs generally require different skills. What he enjoyed, and what he had the skills to do, was to take a tiny company and make it medium sized. Once a company was at that stage of growth, he was less interested and less good at taking them from there. And that was what he was trying to do for our pizza chain.

I’ve mostly worked at small companies. I did a startup, then consulted, then worked for a series of companies with five to 15 people. I quit one of those jobs when I found Rust. What I saw in Rust was something that the world really needed. And I wanted to help it get there. Beyond that, the only real way to get a job working on Rust was to work at Mozilla. And independently of Rust, that was something I’m really excited about.

Here’s a poster on my wall:

I’ve been using Firefox before it was called Firefox. This poster is of a two-page ad that Mozilla took out in the New York Times to announce Firefox 1.0. I’ve long believed in Mozilla’s mission. This was an exciting opportunity!

Fast forward a few years. Rust has been growing, we’re doing great things. I love my team. But every time that this means interacting with Mozilla more broadly, I end up being frustrated. I could say a lot of things here, but I won’t get into the details. What’s really important is this: I’m not proud to be a Mozillian anymore. A variety of incidents contributed to this, but at the end of the day, it’s what’s true. Furthermore, I don’t have any personal opportunity at Mozilla; I recently discovered I’m the lowest-paid person on my team, and Mozilla doesn’t pay particularly well in the first place. In order to have any kind of career growth, I would have to not do the work that doesn’t align with my skills, and what I’m doing now is really how I can have the most impact on Rust moving forward.

Attached: x35Th9VqQFuuZ4SFBEsZkU0xspap.jpeg (1400x933 15.35 KB, 384.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

words.steveklabnik.com/thank-u-next
moddb.com/games/chaosesqueanthology
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Baker#Mozilla_Foundation_and_Mozilla_Corporation
github.com/carols10cents
doc.rust-lang.org/
rust-lang.org/production
firecracker-microvm.github.io/
reddit.com/r/rust/comments/2bpnia/long_interview_with_steve_klabnik_whos_producing/
fuchsia.googlesource.com/zircon/ /master/LICENSE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don’t believe that has any chance of changing; when I’ve tried to express my frustrations, I’ve only gotten disciplined. Mozilla is not interested in hearing what I have to say. And that’s fine, but when I take a step back and think about things, that means it’s time to go, for both my sake and Mozilla’s. So I’ve just put in my two weeks’ notice.

So what’s next? Well, the first thing is that I don’t plan to stop working on Rust. How much I’ll be able to depends on what’s next, but that’s the great part about open source; I can continue to help the thing I love, even if it might not be full-time anymore.

I’ve also been enamored with another technology recently: WebAssembly. 2019 is going to be a huge year for WebAssembly, even if many people don’t know it yet, and may not see the effects until 2020. Once again, I find myself seeing something that the world needs, and I think I have the skills to help make that happen. Unlike with Rust, I don’t think that WebAssembly needs my help to actually work on it itself; I think it’s not yet found its killer application. I’d like to help find out what that is, and help both wasm and that application grow.

There’s something similar in Google’s Fuchsia. I’ve worked with the web for a long time, but doing Rust for the last few years, I’ve also really enjoyed systems-level work. Fuchsia is very interesting and a bit of an enigma, but I can’t wait to see how it turns out. They use a lot of Rust, and plan to use more. I’m not really a kernel hacker, and I’m not sure that Fuchsia is far enough along to really need my skills, but it also really piques my interest.

Additionally, I’m always open to other things. Before Rust, I worked at Balanced Payments, which was one of my favorite jobs I’ve ever had. I would have never thought I’d want to work at a payments company, but by being open to it, I found an awesome role, with fantastic co-workers. Maybe what I do next will be something completely different!

In terms of the actual work I would like to do, I don’t think a traditional engineering role really suits me. Don’t get me wrong, I love to write some code, but I don’t think that those kinds of roles really play to my unique strengths. What I really love to do is teaching, evangelizing, and growing something. I’ve done it with Rust, and I can do it again. I could see several roles or hybrid ones here, with titles like “developer evangelist,” “product manager”, or possibly even “VP of Growth.” I want something that challenges me, and where I can grow my career.

So if you’re:

or something completely different that you think I’d be psyched about, please email me and let’s see where things go!

words.steveklabnik.com/thank-u-next

LMAO

Attached: steve klabnik 7.jpg (1024x683, 119.92K)

Stopped reading there
tl:dr OP is a rust shilling faggot

... yes??? It is the current year. Be a bit more tolerant.

Attached: steve klabnik 9.jpg (1280x720, 51.53K)

wrong.
tl;dr Steve Klabnik just quit his job at Mozilla.

Why do these Millenial Faggots think that it's ok to show up in a hoodie at a press conference. As early as the IBM days all the way up to the early 2000's, computer-people would dress in suit like a professional. They were proud, Aryan minds. Now, these Millenials dress like they're sitting on the couch in their studio apartment on a cold day or dress in some kind of protest to something no one understands.

Everything is really fuckign vague.
Spill the beans Steve. Is pozzilla seriously too pozzed for even you?

What are you talking about?
lol

I don’t have any personal opportunity at Mozilla; I recently discovered I’m the lowest-paid person on my team, and Mozilla doesn’t pay particularly well in the first place.
I don’t believe that has any chance of changing; when I’ve tried to express my frustrations, I’ve only gotten disciplined. Mozilla is not interested in hearing what I have to say. And that’s fine, but when I take a step back and think about things, that means it’s time to go, for both my sake and Mozilla’s. So I’ve just put in my two weeks’ notice.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Imagine being such a narcissist that you could write that paragraph and unironically expect people to take you seriously.

which?

Nice blogpost

thanks

Attached: steve klabnik a.jpg (1280x720, 61.78K)

So does this mean the Rust shilling will finally take a nosedive?

Attached: kid.png (423x362, 370.51K)

On Zig Forums? I already stopped shilling Rust here years ago.
Outside of Zig Forums? Of course not.

Attached: steve klabnik o.jpg (400x400, 23.44K)

It's branding/marketing.
They want to show how powerful they are by not having to wear a suit.
"hey man, we're trendy and we put astroturf in our offices".
Have you not heard of any of that? It has been the norm since 2000 in trendy tech companies, and has spread to other companies built on similar fake-friendly fake-personality branding.
Don B evil guys >:)™

it's all he could afford with his pay lmao

all me btw

So they used you as a tool on a project that you love. And now that you have realized that you are angry about it.
Your point is ?

lowest-worth.
You go to conventions!
You talk on reddit!
You write blogs!
You refuse to answer simple, direct questions because you suspect they're asked "in bad faith"!
You put up decorations for the office Christmas party!
You respected 120 women/month!
WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO DO GET PAID AROUND HERE, FUCK
WOMEN AREN'T GOING TO RESPECT THEMSELVES YOU KNOW

He's now ONE OF US!!!

i dont think a language is needed nor going to make the world a better place

not another language?

I get what he's saying though. It's easier to quit and work for a different company than it is to try and change your company's culture or to get them to pay you more. The best way to maximize your salary is to change companies every 2 or so years. Moving from company to company with more experience each time will give you more pay increases than mere raises and promotions.

This kind of reminds me how my friends from high school had no aspirations in life and just wanted to smoke weed and play video games, not caring that their jobs were shit. I tried to get them interested in technology and coding, but they simply didn't care. I tried to get them to stop using drugs and alcohol, but they weren't having it. So I just ghosted them and met new people instead.

It's easier to go to a different environment than it is to change the broken one you're currently in.

Work for a shitty SJW company? You're not going to "redpill" them, so just quit and work elsewhere instead.

The face only a 2x4 plank could love.

I'm sure you're all fit male models who can deadlift 400 lbs

So? If I could see your face, I'd laugh at it too.

Wow, what a faggot. Seriously.

u too

Come at me bro.

Attached: hulk.jpg (640x509, 44.04K)

I can just tell the state of your body just from that comment

markdown spacing
lern2github
enjoy not getting hired, buddy
a github profile with lots of repos is more valuable than a resume tbh famalam

bloatmaxxing is gross tbh

It is.

t. unemployed neet

quit projecting, buddy

QuakeC is better than rust.

Faggot allows himself to be disciplined.

Wtf? Fucking faggot.

They probably actually paid him more than a nickle.

Sorry, only women need apply. For CoCing old opensource projects and ejecting their founders.

QuakeC is better than rust.

No, they always dressed like bums if they could get away with it.

That's because you were showing them boring things like rust.

I simply programmed QuakeC. Friends stopped doing drugs and became interested in technology, and are now programmers themselves. No evangelizing on my part, not a word, nor a care.

That is the power of QuakeC.

Spray to remove the rust.

Attached: RemoveRust.png (699x770, 50.2K)

What do you shill these days?

He should shill libre vidya:
moddb.com/games/chaosesqueanthology

Why won't he?

juicy bit in the hacker news thread

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (951x919, 53K)

insult to injury, mozilla announces this retardation today

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (807x268, 17.91K)

The only reason Mozilla is doing that is to advertise HTC Vive, no other reason, no-one asked for this, no-ones cares, no-one benefits but HTC and Mozilla.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Baker#Mozilla_Foundation_and_Mozilla_Corporation

I actually kind of sympathized with this guy until this part
holy fuckin shit
any retard can write words, engineers deserve way more

He wasn't a software engineer?
WTF?!

is the "dining communist philosophers" example his work?

Didn't he write the most popular Rust book and document their code? [I gather that from what I've seen here] You'd think such a role would require a computer science background alongside the skill of being a technical writer. How is he able to document a language for which he lacks a comprehension of the rationale behind each feature?

There are two versions of The Book. The first version, which is entirely his work and the second version which he worked on with this meme: github.com/carols10cents
He hasn't only written the book, he wrote basically all of the documentation here: doc.rust-lang.org/ (except for Rust By Example)

Steve might be an ultra faggot but he isn't a stupid LARPer like you guys. He knows a lot about Rust. Just because his job title didn't have engineer in it doesn't mean he doesn't know how to program.

You fucking moron. If you ARE an engineer you demand to be paid like one while working on a project like that. I can only imagine what you look like to sympathize with such a cucked mindset.

Ok, kiddo. Read my post again and tell me where I wrote that Steve Klabnik is an engineer.

fucking LMFAO

Attached: steve klabnik p.jpg (1024x1056 19.64 KB, 222.88K)

I've been at a conference talking about the future of a global organisation and one of the board members was wearing socks + sandals and some kaki 1000 pockets pants. Everyone there was dressed sharp, except him. No one cared tho, he's a nice guy

plus he's not some autismo and around 60 years old

kekd

What value? Rust is first and foremost a language for writing servo in. What the hell do they need an evangelist for? What even do they need good docs for, when every servo dev is also a rust dev? Have a man page for every call with the name and argument order and your good to go. It's hilarious how sure klabnik is that he'll find a better job when even at mozilla he was completely useless.

Take me back to 1979 Jesus!

Attached: Jerry_Reed_promo_photo.png (316x419, 169.5K)

he worked by the engineers. You don't need a lot of CS to talk to people.

rust-lang.org/production
firecracker-microvm.github.io/

samefag

It's not like he's writing a manual on how to use a coffee machine. If he's writing a book positioning himself as an expert, he's LARPing.
I never realized quite how much of a faggot he is. His rhetoric perfectly matches his look: reddit.com/r/rust/comments/2bpnia/long_interview_with_steve_klabnik_whos_producing/

He should have found one before leaving Mozilla. Seems kinda dumb.

Was this a meeting of the international Jew conspiracy?

so? This is my thread. I'll samefag as many times as I like. What are you going to do about it?
Nothing, kiddo. You're just a LARPer.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-01-09 I quit.png (1023x682 2.4 KB, 30.95K)

Steve Klabnik is a jew. Look at that rat-like jew face.
No

yeah super (((hwyte))) amirite fellow aryans? :^)
>inb4 >>>Zig Forums
how about >>>/oven/

rude

back to >>>Zig Forums .png

No need to doublepost though, just say what you want quoting whoever you want in one post.

Also, steve is a retard and rust is shit.

You were called a moron. How retarded do you have to be to read that as retard?

ebin gotcha. I know see that you are 100% correct and I'm a retarded moron.

>>>/trash/

sage negated

negate saged

I'm reporting you :)

klabnik is cheese pizza dealer confirmed

Tranny faggots program in rust then later web assembly.
Traps program in C +assembly, and Ada.

not them but you unironically using the word buddy? you're the kind of gay who likes buff men.

Best post in thread.

Do you not realize that 'computer people' right now is this:
Aryan doesn't do shit these days aside from being a consumerist faggot while your economy gets fucked in the ass by China. muh startup lol.
Also, boomer/doomer detected.
All you probably ever did your entire life is complain and blame the gubbermints and bigcorps. Also, you lost, goyim.

Try putting a fucking dress shirt on and see if they listen

replaced with
It was marketing then and it's marketing now.

KEK

Isn't fuchsia just a semi-FOSS google os meant to make them independent from linux?

fuchsia.googlesource.com/zircon/ /master/LICENSE
It's cuck licensed.

You either generate profit, or you don't. Anything else is dead weight in the professional world. Unless your suit is a tool for profit, it's just as self-indulgent as any other expensive fashion choice. If being completely naked conferred profit, it would be the professional choice.

Boomers were raised to live an unexamined life of normalcy loaded with cultural values of the time, same as Millenials.

Your perceived superiority is merely a coping mechanism designed to avert your eyes from the discomfort of norms and values truly alien to those impressed upon you in your youth.

There is no fundamental distinction between the cage you find yourself in and the one the younger people are in. It's a cube of one-way mirrors facing inward. Every attempt at introspection is sabotaged by an inability to see past yourself, no matter the angle. You'll find yourself unable to respond to this very post genuinely, and at any length. Instead your monkey brain will feel a tinge of pain and abort its analysis in order to reject with a quick dismissal.

Attached: bowl_of_stupid.jpg (336x491, 34.62K)

Most people instantly treat you better and more respectfully when you wear a suit. You will be taken seriously more. Basically any sort of work goes slightly smoother, so by your logic they definitely generate profit.

The only exception is tryhard faggots like you who try to be a rebel and rail against it for no reason. But you can see them a mile away. Just don't go to any startup interviews with a suit, any other time, if you have one you're better off wearing it.

My job is to write and talk about software. I'm not here to impress anyone. You know who else attends these "press"(tech) conferences? Other people who think the same way.

If I worked in fashion, yeah I'd wear something fashionable, but I aint, so I don't.
When I see others dressed fancy all it does is show me they don't understand the business they're in. They wasted time, money, or both trying to look good when it has nothing to do with the job, the business, or the products. Caring more about social aspects like people or your own vanity isn't going to help you get ahead at a conference like that. Maybe for traditional businesses, but not this one. Not today at least.

Maybe that's true if you want to be a dumb nigger cattle codemonkey for the rest of your life, but if you've got your sights set on moving up the corporate ladder you shouldn't dress like a slob. Dress for the job you want, not the job you have

Damn, you'll argue just about anything; huh?

I literally work under the business owner. There is no rungs left. I've had the same attitude since I joined the company. Why even make assumptions on my character like that? Talk about cattle.
Coming from the fake it till you make it, suit wearing monkey.
How about contributing something to the business you hack.

t. no ambition gorilla monkey nigger
Protip: successful people don't spend their lives slaving away "contributing to the company". The people who make the real money are the decision makers, not the plebians who spend 8 hours a day in visual studio. AKA suit wearers, not jeans/hoodie wearers. You must work at a computer repair shop if you've reached the highest level of your company dressing like a 17-year old stoner.

I'm already here while you're speculating what you think it takes to reach this level. You're literally trying to convince me what I do and don't do as if you have any idea or as if that's going to work. You're delusional and lack the talent required to climb the ladder. Sorry this upsets you, but maybe if you spent more time working than at your tailor, you'd make something of yourself.

Real companies making real money make real products that in turn make them money. And the employees responsible for this get rewarded. Plain and simple.
None, and I mean 0 of the places I have worked for in the past have ever had dress code requirements, because it simply does not affect the products, services, or the brand.

We have entire departments for PR and marketing. They wear suits. We don't.
Guess who gets paid more?

As for your bullshit about not spending time doing grunt work. You're flatout wrong and your inexperience shows. I don't care if you're the SVP, CTO, or whatever title you want to throw on yourself. Time and time again it has been proven that in technical businesses, the people that move from engineering to management and give up their technical time, lead to decline.

You will not motivate the people beneath you if you spend no time with them. There is no better way to understand the product you're responsible for than to actually work on it. Even if that's only for half a week out of the month.
If you go 100% management, your talent will leave, and your profits go with them. I guarantee it.

Your understanding of this field and business in general is obviously minimal.

See