AMD's CES event

Thoughts? IMO it's a dissapointment, I expected Ryzen 3 and/or Navi info, but all we got was a ES vs 9900k Cinebench run, Radeon VII and some Epyc info.

Pic related, the Radeon VII card they announced.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 105.3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-zen-2-desktop-am4-processors-launching-mid-2019/
youtube.com/watch?v=bXTSv50UBq4
techradar.com/news/amd-ceo-admits-ray-tracing-is-important-but-still-thinks-nvidia-jumped-the-gun
youtube.com/watch?v=Fmdb-KmlzD8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yeah, it was supposed to be Navi 2 and Navi debut.
I'm not sad though, as I'll only buy something new with AV1 hardware acceleration and maybe I'll wait for DDR5 support.
Both are coming with Zen 3, so all's cool.

Zen 2 and Navi*

Nothing too surprising, except for the name. Didn't expect it to be called Radeon VII.
Although, I will say that this though, if Radeon VII is still Vega, and they're releasing it instead of Navi, then I expect that that says really good things about Navi.
Personally, I'm mostly waiting on stuff for better video encoding. AV1 hardware encoding, and Zen 2.

wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-zen-2-desktop-am4-processors-launching-mid-2019/

It's still Vega.

Ya, that's what I'm saying. Because they're releasing another Vega now, and with the performance of what some people were expecting from Navi, I'm thinking that Navi might actually be better than expected.

Attached: Capture.PNG (892x645, 418.93K)

They didn't release the new ones yet. These are like revamps still.
Navi is still to come this year.

So exactly like RTX

What?

epyc vs dual xeon was kind of interesting but yea whatever not what i was after anyway
radeon vii was meh, i expected something more disruptive, at least on the price tag.
zen2 vs 9900k was interesting but except for "9900k stock settings" we don't know jack shit about the bench config
i expected more info on zen2 lineup tbh

Vega VII being a reworked Vega from 2017 but then in 7nm.

Or better said, GPUs that didn't make the cut to become Radeon Instinct GPUs.

Good post, and I have similar thoughts.

On another note, I've been throwing the "microstutter" meme back and forth around in my head for as many years as I've browsed IBs, and it is something that I notice with my very well cooled RX580. It's been annoying me so much lately that I changed my media player settings to Exclusive Fullscreen and Vsync to get rid of it. Now, I'm almost leaning towards buying an nvidia card, but they're of course a company I'd rather not support. Anyone here go to a Vega from a Polaris and notice any improvement on that end? I'll probably try an Nvidia GPU this time around if not, just to see if the meme is real.

The stutter is there only because you're using a compositor with a shit tier vsync implementation, and AMDGPU doesn't support driver level anti-tearing.
If you don't switch to another compositor or disable the WM level vsync, you'll get exactly the same behavior on Novidya. You can use the Novidya proprietary drivers (the free ones suck way more than AMDGPU), enable Full Composition Pipeline and disable your WM's compositing and the stutter will go away, but you'll still have tearing and it'll probably drive you mad even more than the stutter.
Tldr you'll have the same problem on Novidya too unless you can live with no desktops effects and some tearing, if you can't just play with vsync settings on different window managers and compositors until the problem goes away, or just live with it.

Just to clarify, the Full Composition Pipeline reduces the tearing when not using wm-level vsync (vsync eliminates tearing but causes the stutter) but doesn't completely eliminate tearing, unlike vsync.

At risk of sounding like a redditard, there's a lot to deconstruct, here. Given I'm using terms like "media player," it should be a given that I'm not part of an encoding group... So effectively, tearing is not a solvable problem outside of the media player's own vsync implementation on AMD, though exclusive fullscreen, then, helps with stutter, and on Nvidia other options must be set, entirely.

Good information to have; I was thinking it may even be something like an instruction set or hardware acceleration type of thing that was missing, given Polaris' age. I'll likely stick with Red Team, then, until such a time they become worse than Nvidia. I'll probably wait until Navi now too, given that a switch to Vega wouldn't make things any different in this regard, and my gayming performance is satisfactory. Thank you, user.

Attached: 1410783538477.gif (630x206, 433.43K)

A compositor doesn't have anything to do with encoding, Satan. It's a program you run generally as part of your window manager or desktop environment, but can also be run as a standalone.
Now that I think about it, I've never heard of exclusive mode fullscreen on Linux. If you were talking about Winblows disregard everything I said before and I've no idea what your problem is, on win an RX 580 should run perfectly out of the box. Maybe it's because Freesync is kicking in only on full screen mode, and the graphics stack doesn't have to do 3:2 pulldown which results in judder. Wouldn't be fixed on Novidya either.

You don't get the tech demo memetracing that halfs your framerate but you get a ton of memory to use instead.
Also it won't be crippled in a driver update like Nvidias. No reason to buy a 2080 now

Attached: 1545558519447.png (558x420, 14.11K)

Is there a Radeon VII equivalent on mobile platform?

This HTPC is running windows, yes. Compositor in terms of GNU+Linux makes more sense to me, having some GNU+Linux experience myself. Windows has an "exclusive fullscreen" mode to give the application full control over what's displaying and the highest priority possible, for a media player, that means no overlays like a seekbar that pops in/out when you move your mouse "south" on-screen, no volume bar visible, nothing except the actual video being rendered. This makes switching back and forth between fullscreen and windowed very visually glitchy and relatively time-consuming (i.e. ~5 seconds vs. 1 second) but it did reduce stutter dramatically, though tearing was still present. Vsync option in the media player fixed that. I don't have a Freesync monitor, and I'm not sure what pulldown is, or why it would take place if I were watching native 16:9 content, but there you have it.

Checked, and yes, that is going to be the gamechanger. "Oh no, no reflections" but all of the 4k gaming meme that's super memory-heavy is going to slaughter them at higher resolutions. Pair with Ryzen CPUs which bottleneck at the lower resolutions and you have an Intel/Nvidia killer system for fucking beans. I don't even care that AMD is chink owned at this point, I just want nvidia and Intel to be humiliated after being on top for so long. All of this hardware wise is likely going to impact Vulkan's development too. FOSS gaming is going to get a boost with this, long term.

Oh ok
Conversion from the movie's 24 fps to 60 fps
Check that your media player is using hardware acceleration, otherwise if you have a weak CPU you'll get issues.

That's not confirmed until unbiased benchmarks surface.

Yes, it's using hardware acceleration, and I have a Ryzen 2600x that hits 4.25Ghz with PBO, so that shouldn't be a bottleneck anyway. Microstutter is just a phenomena I suppose we have to live with, but I have it well enough compensated against, for now. Thanks, user.

Have you tried a good media player, winbabby? I'm talking about mpv (mpc-qt for "monkey push button, monkey gets banana" GUI faggots).

you should capture the video at 60 fps or more and post it here so we can know wtf you're actually looking at

Attached: AMD fantastic.png (1224x3080 433.58 KB, 713.99K)

No thanks.

I should think that's unnecessary. It's very straightforward - say there's a slow panning shot in an anime or movie. Focusing on the edge of a static object, its "relative movement" across the screen is inconsistent. In the same way when a rendering fucks up and freezes for a few seconds, then plays those few seconds worth of frames back within one second, but on a miniscule scale, that's what I've always taken microstutter to be. Vsync and exclusive fullscreen (highest priority rendering) seem to have fixed that for me, my original question was just if Nvidia would solve this i.e. muh CUDA cores but other user suggested it wouldn't.

amd is a bigger nigger_faggot than nvidia. shut the fuck up & buy a console is my mantra. at least consoles have guaranteed shelf life!

Juicy post, mark.

Attached: Mark (Shaved).jpg (1600x1200, 1.1M)

Why do AMD GPUs have so much VRAM relative to jewVidya's accelerators?
Is it long-term futureproofing or just autism?

youtube.com/watch?v=bXTSv50UBq4

Its the most powerful consumer Vega that seems to compete with RTX cards on performance but has twice the ram (and its HBM2) and 100 dollar lower price
this is actually workstation card made for regular consumers with reasonable price

so if you are ok with that and dont need raytracing right now (dont worry practically no amount of substancial games will support it for years) then its fine card, its nothing mind blowing just ok

Yes, Intel and nVidia are pulling the marketing game and delivering gibberish. AMD is playing the good game.
I really doubt any informed person would commit the mistake of buying a computer right now, so it's just a matter of time to deliver it.

techradar.com/news/amd-ceo-admits-ray-tracing-is-important-but-still-thinks-nvidia-jumped-the-gun

So it's autism.

It looks like it's just a rebadged Instinct with video output tacked on

Alright faggots. The Radeon 7 GPU got benchmarked by someone other than AMD. Translate what this subhuman spic goblino is saying, please and thank you.

Attached: Michael-Quesada-PC-Master-fbdown.net.mp4 (640x360, 11.91M)

When is the right time to build a computer, later in the year with the ryzen 3000 series?

GPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X
CPU: AMD Radeon 7
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: SSD 512GB and 2TB HDD
Monitor: Samsung 5120x1440 resolution
Maximum fps: 74
Average fps: 60
Minimum fps: 54

No. When AMD implements hardware support for AV1, and DDR5 for its processors.
You may put raytracing support here as an optional, depending on your needs.
So basically, Zen 3 (Zen 2 will also be the last one with the AM4 socket, basically not future proof) and its contemporary card - might be a late Navi or the next one.
2020 seems to be the time.

pick one

depends on your current hardware, what you want/need and the size of your wallet.
I plan to pick up a 2600x if I see a good sale, don't wanna wait till july/august, won't get much cheaper anyway (the last official price drop pre zen+ launch was just 20 bucks for MSRP, so basically nothing) and it's refined with the kinks worked out which zen2 and x570 boards might have. gonna keep me solid for prolly a few years, if not I can pick up the zen2+ in 2020/21

I would wait for Ryzen 3000 at a minimum, at a time when you can afford moar coarz than you currently have. I wouldn't see the point in sidegrading from a quad core to another quad core.
DDR5 it depends on what you're using now. If you're still on DDR3 I'd wait rather than purchase DDR4 that will soon be obsolete. If you're on DDR4 it might make sense to buy sooner and reuse your old RAM.

Does this really matter for a desktop? I don't know what the requirements are but surely a decent PC can handle software decoding.
Other stuff sounds about right, I'm not considering a full system upgrade until 2020 or 2021.

Though now that I think about it, anyone on DDR4 should have little reason to upgrade right now unless they can really use the coarz.

Thinking of getting a 2700X coming from a stock 2600, not sure yet.

Low end stuff is getting ripped off by this new internet. Software decoding is not viable when it freezes the computer and stutters the video.

There are some new videos on Youtube with AV1. Try to watch them, most browsers already have software decoding for AV1 now.
Then try to multitask under these conditions.
AV1 is just too much intensive on the pc.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fmdb-KmlzD8

Try with dav1d, faggot.

Same problems. Don't push your shit onto others now, would you.

Anybody else buying AMD stock? AdoredTV released another video that talks about what's looking like an absolutely earth-shattering performance roadmap for AMD in the coming year or two, with Intel scrambling to get 7nm facilities built from scratch in Oregon and globally to even begin to compete.

youtu.be/wjVjHce8uME

Which videos are you talking about?
All I can see is videos claiming to be av1 but if you click on stats for nerds it says VP9

dav1d is slow on anything that doesn't AVX2.

He is a huge AMD shill, I wouldn't take anything he says seriously.

Like 90% of the tech press and youtube beggars are Jewtel and Novideo shills, oh right the corporate suits prefer the term influencers.

Not if you use git.