Terminal emulators

Cooper Barnes
Cooper Barnes

Do you have a second to talk about terminal emulators?
Is there a reason not to use whatever defeault your distro comes with?
Are there noticable differences between different ones?
Which one are you currently using and why?

Attached: Clipboard01.jpg (104.31 KB, 1136x656)

All urls found in this thread:

github.com/jwilm/alacritty
github.com/jwilm/alacritty/issues/289
jwilm.io/blog/alacritty-lands-scrollback/#benchmarks
git.suckless.org/st/
danluu.com/keyboard-latency/
github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/2770
lwn.net/Articles/465311/

Zachary Wood
Zachary Wood

termite

Nicholas Nguyen
Nicholas Nguyen

Used to be a yuge urxvt faggo but xfce4-term is the best I've used. Good balance of werks-n-features and minimalism.

Cooper Fisher
Cooper Fisher

xterm. Seriously.

No bugs, fast, works with everything, even has sixel support. It's the reference. Even on old systems the overhead it has compared to more incomplete emulators is not worth putting up with their problems. Use it with a bitmap font and that will be the fastest terminal emulation you can get.

Jace Cox
Jace Cox

Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

This is undoubtedly the most ugly program in the distribution. It was one of
the first "serious" programs ported, and still has a lot of historical baggage.
Ideally, there would be a general tty widget and then vt102 and tek4014
subwidgets so that they could be used in other programs. We are trying to
clean things up as we go, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Juan Gray
Juan Gray

Yeah, it's a mess code wise, but it works and works fast. Compare st (which isn't well written either but meme here) to xterm in regards to speed. Hell, compare it to urxvt. xterm will come out on top.

Adam Sullivan
Adam Sullivan

urxvt
Except urxvt is actually good

Parker Ramirez
Parker Ramirez

Why is the ancient terminal abstraction still a thing in current year?

Mason Ortiz
Mason Ortiz

Because making something better would require committing more resources than to just continue using the pile of shit that alreadt exists.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the real UNIX philosophy.
Gas all UNIX weenies tbh.

Dylan Lee
Dylan Lee

speed
Is anyone seriously concerned with terminal speed?

Jeremiah Diaz
Jeremiah Diaz

yes
github.com/jwilm/alacritty
Alacritty is the fastest terminal emulator in existence. Using the GPU for rendering enables optimizations that simply aren't possible in other emulators.
Rust wins again over C/C++

Nathan Robinson
Nathan Robinson

Fastest at what?
rendering optimizations
I don't even

Daniel Hughes
Daniel Hughes

At displaying gibibytes of text per second of course.

Jackson Morgan
Jackson Morgan

hey if it ain't broke, don't fix it

Joshua Brooks
Joshua Brooks

github.com/jwilm/alacritty/issues/289

My GPU is too weak for that. Too many pixels.

Attached: nfs-terminal-edition.png (49.18 KB, 787x367)

Tyler Flores
Tyler Flores

pseudo-realistic use of a fast terminal is games like Catacylsm DDA, they will genuinely lag in a slow terminal. Also I bet for half the faggots using gentoo here because of the meme, most don't realize that putting out all that compilation text actually slows down compilation. Yes, that's right, it's directly tied to the terminal speed. Try a faster terminal, or better do it --quiet

alacritty is a fucking mess written by people who don't know what they're doing, also it pulls like half of all rust libraries in existence in, I don't even wanna know how unsafe that is. All it takes is one compromised library.

Brayden Phillips
Brayden Phillips

Why don't you fix it yourself if it bothers you that much?

Tyler Scott
Tyler Scott

posting 2 years old disinfo
Found the anti Rust shill
jwilm.io/blog/alacritty-lands-scrollback/#benchmarks

alacritty is a fucking mess written by people who don't know what they're doing
Source?
I don't even wanna know how unsafe that is
About as unsafe as writing C/C++.

Aiden Collins
Aiden Collins

disinfo
Looks like he wasn't faster than urxvt until Sept 2018. So go fuck yourself tard.

Justin Stewart
Justin Stewart

Looks like he wasn't faster than urxvt until Sept 2018.
Source?
So go fuck yourself tard.
The anti Rust shill is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a LARPer, nodev, ctard, UNIX weenie, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him an anti Rust shill and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”

Nathan Turner
Nathan Turner

about as unsafe as c/c++
right: per line of code

Luis Jenkins
Luis Jenkins

Source?
fucking hell this nigger doesn't even read his own garbage.

Dominic Phillips
Dominic Phillips

I read it. I'm just not sure that you have the mental capacity to understand was was written though. Alacritty v0.2 added scrollback support. This means v0.1 didn't have scrollback support.
If you wanted scrollback in Alacritty v0.1 you had to use tmux. So of course alacritty v0.1 loses against urxvt in a scrolling benchmark.
You anti Rust shills seriously are fucking retarded.

David Allen
David Allen

That's worthless then. Response speed, now that's a topic for discussion. Apparently, xterm is the fastest in that regard.

Attached: suckless-larpers.png (16.29 KB, 883x495)

Jace Adams
Jace Adams

git.suckless.org/st/

Charles James
Charles James

fastest response is direct console without X in between, you'll never get faster and it is kind of noticeable. I'm not even one of these retards that thinks he can notice 10 ms differences or hear the grass grow, but it does feel different typing there somehow.

Jack Hill
Jack Hill

terminal latency
What about keyboards though?
danluu.com/keyboard-latency/

Eli Lewis
Eli Lewis

xfce4-terminal
terminal for the White Man

Jace Miller
Jace Miller

my ebin shitpost is so ebin I have to redtext and greentext at the same time to show everyone how ebin my shitpost is

Jose Martin
Jose Martin

being so Jewish and having nothing to say

Attached: DeQcLi6WsAANp5u.jpg (96.69 KB, 710x532)

Austin Cox
Austin Cox

calling everyone a kike
/pol/index.html

Anthony Ward
Anthony Ward

That's right kike. It seems mentioning White Man triggered you.

Adrian Reed
Adrian Reed

Attached: 56%.jpg (2.29 MB, 575x3110)

Robert Murphy
Robert Murphy

oh so he put it 3rd even though 0.1 couldn't even compete. Yeah sure thing faggot I'll trust your "benchmarks" now.

Ryder White
Ryder White

What you're saying makes no sense.

Dylan Smith
Dylan Smith

Scroll to the comments, st is the fastest if you bump some variables in its config.h.

Jeremiah Robinson
Jeremiah Robinson

xfce4-terminal is great.

Jace Rodriguez
Jace Rodriguez

overclocking a terminal emulator

Carter Jenkins
Carter Jenkins

Does a shell run directly within a terminal emulator, or is there yes another layer in between?

Nathan Richardson
Nathan Richardson

whatever default your distro comes with
will not apply to most people here I'm guessing. I use kitty (also a GPU meme terminal emulator)--not because I find it superior to any other terminal emulator in terms of functionality (though I prefer my terminal UIs without extra menus and buttons), but just because it works on Wayland. It would probably run faster without its windows/tab shit but I don't give nearly enough of a fuck to go hunting for another terminal that works.

Logan Bailey
Logan Bailey

using software by a pajeet that doesn't understand how callbacks work
github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/2770
also there is this: lwn.net/Articles/465311/

Logan Lewis
Logan Lewis

Inside of an X session runs a terminal emulator (such as xterm), inside of which runs a virtual (pseudo)terminal (such as /dev/pts/0), inside of which runs a shell (such as /bin/bash), inside of which runs a consol program (such as /usr/bin/top).

Ryan Parker
Ryan Parker

Using callbacks to model the passing of time is for pajeets

Tyler Taylor
Tyler Taylor

Urxvt renders fonts incorrectly. I have no idea why and honestly don't give a shit why. A terminal that can't render text correctly is a failure.

Honestly they all suck. I use kitty at the moment but it happens to be written by a pajeet with an attitude worse than poettering.

Luke Murphy
Luke Murphy

direct console without X in between
I've noticed the consoles under GNU/Linux and OpenBSD don't implement many important ECMA-48 control functions that other terminals do. Examples include SCROLL UP, SCROLL DOWN, and CURSOR CHARACTER ABSOLUTE. These control functions make the screen seem to scroll up, scroll down, and move the cursor to a point on the current line, respectively.

The last can be discarded, but the former two are very important and I find it unacceptable that those consoles don't implement them.

If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate being corrected, but I've done my own testing and asking around and it seems these were simply never implemented.

Landon Peterson
Landon Peterson

I just use st.
fast
easy to maintain
only has the features i use and want i to have
good unicode support
truecolor support
fast at rendering images (i use terminal file managers)
customizable in every aspect conceived
written in c, a language i happen to program in.
overall small footprint
don't need tmux to tab since my wm does this

Urxvt kind of lagged behind on verbose output, had subpar unicode support and did not support trucolor. Still, it is a pretty decent terminal emulator.

I would recommend st for minimalists, urxvt for functionalists and xterm for maximalists. Used a lot of emulator, and these still stand out as my standard choices.

Logan Hernandez
Logan Hernandez

How do I make my own?

Chase Phillips
Chase Phillips

I feel like there's still no AAA terminal available.

Parker Green
Parker Green

I use st because it's small and sanic fast and does what it needs to do
if I want a crufty terminal for some reason (like I need to cuntpaste a lot of stuff via ssh) I keep terminator around just because of the in-window-tiling but it's a slow cunt despite it's size (because python)

Jack Ward
Jack Ward

Just read the xterm souce code.

Nolan Rogers
Nolan Rogers

Well, urxvt lacks some stuff too. It doesn't support the invis termcap while st does.

Jackson Mitchell
Jackson Mitchell

I use terminology because it looks nice. Go ahead and bully me.

Alexander Torres
Alexander Torres

These retro feels are so comfy.

Attached: cool-retro-term.png (814.94 KB, 1123x750)

Adrian Morris
Adrian Morris

I just tried it, it has some neat stuff. I didn't find a way to save sessions though, like to remember splits.

Connor Rivera
Connor Rivera

this.
What program is that?

Ian Perry
Ian Perry

<he can't read the image's name
Are you illiterate?

Wyatt Bailey
Wyatt Bailey

Yes.

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit