What's the most I could upgrade one of these to make it as modern as possible...

What's the most I could upgrade one of these to make it as modern as possible? Are motherboard replacements possible/would any ITX board fit the case? There's a surprising lack of information on updating these. For reference, the specific one I'm looking at is the M91P with an i5-4480.

Attached: thinkcentre-m92p.jpg (2500x2500, 509.68K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Servers-PEX16RISER/dp/B002M1DHJG
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

these things often use a proprietary form factor

I can't really tell just by looking, but here's a pic of the internals. Only one I have.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1600x1200, 3.8M)

Figure out the socket type and the best CPU you can put in it, max out the ram, and measure what GPU you can put in there

If you're going to replace the mobo you're better off building a whole new machine, even piecemeal

I've been researching more since this thread has been up and I found that an i7-2600 is the best processor that's supported. I'm not super up-to-date on my intel knowledge so I'm not sure how good that actually is.

Good for what? In recent years, most computers can do the average non-gaming stuff and you still wanna have high-end for playing the most current games. There's only these two groups left now. You can do everday computing (web stuff, office stuff) on a ten year old system no sweat. The times you really need to upgrade for that are over.

If you wanna do gaming you're fucked with that system either way.

Or play the golden age of gaming, and get classics like battlefront II running on your piece of shit garbage and have fun like its 2005 and you spent 2k on the machine. Nothing wrong with older games.

The CPU is fine, the only thing you'd likely need to upgrade are RAM and add an SSD alongside the HDD, maybe buy an low-profile GPU if you want to play newer games.

Really? I checked passmark and the i5-4460 is *really* low on the list.

Pretty much any cpu from the last 9 years is pretty passable for most tasks. The last truly new architecture other than Zen/Ryzen was skylake, and that's already 4 or so years old. Stuff like video editing/rendering will see a pretty decent boost from newer CPUs with more cores however, so upgrading that system to a i7 4770 or a Xeon might be worth it if you're trying to upgrade it for as little as possible.

I compile on an i5-gen3 for most tasks and it's only slow as shit for compiling entire languages (I'm looking at you python, why in the fuck do you only compile with one fucking thread)

Rust bootstrapped 1.31 with it's own internal LLVM in 1h23m on my way to build Firefox, for instance

SFF computers usually have proprietary form factor, motherboard and PSU. Performance may be enough, though, depending on what you're gonna use it for.

Primary use case would be shitposting, light to moderate gaymen, and general work with C.

Wait a bit and get a Ryzen 3000 APU when they come out for the specdown hardware mitigations

It's alright.
You can put gt1030 there, or probably even 1050/1050ti LP, which should be ok.

Asking around I'm told a 1050ti LP would fit and run fine. How limited would that setup be for semi-modern games?

You'd probably get away with running most games up to 2014ish maxed out- since the 1050 is supposed to be about as good as a few higher-end cards from that era. Higher resolutions than 1080p may also be plausible if you want that. Just be careful that the system doesn't have weird power limits on the expansion slots, as some of those SFF motherboards are apparently out of spec and don't deliver enough power.

don't play UE4 or console ports newer than 2015 and you're fine

Just change the case too, why bother with looking for special parts.

Gtfo

Note that most SFF cases that have low-profile PCIe slots have at least 3 in a row, which gives you enough room to use a 90 riser card to fit a full-height GPU mounted sideways, even one with a dual-slot cooler:
amazon.com/StarTech-com-Express-Adapter-Servers-PEX16RISER/dp/B002M1DHJG

Attached: 81dD3bBsucL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 123.24K)

Jeeeesus Chrrrriiiist user, thats the goddamn IBM equivalent of a shitty $300 Compaq.

Its a fucking doorstop. Make a small table out of it.

I still use an i5 3330

I dunno, I like the case. If he can keep it going, more power to him. He just shouldn't invest much money, it's certainly not worth that.

Helluva good processor

Shame if it doesn't support mATX. It would be really poetic to put a Blackbird POWER9 board in there.

Attached: blackbirdboard.png (1500x1000, 1.08M)