(yes, it has system dicks.)

------------------------------------------

-OS Type: Linux
-Based on: Debian (Testing)
-Origin: Serbia
-Architecture: x86_64
-Desktop: KDE Plasma
-Category: Desktop, Live Medium, Privacy

>Septor is a Linux distribution which provides users with a pre-configured computing environment for surfing the Internet anonymously. It is based on Debian's "Testing" branch and it uses Privoxy, a privacy-enhancing proxy, together with the Tor anonymity network to modify web page data and HTTP headers before the page is rendered by the browser. The distribution uses KDE Plasma as the preferred desktop environment and it also includes a launcher for downloading the latest Tor Browser, OnionShare for anonymous file sharing, and Ricochet for anonymous instant messaging.

Feature 2019------------------------------------------Release Date 2019-01-01End Of Life Price (US$) FreeImage Size (MB) 1900-2000Free Download ISOInstallation GraphicalDefault Desktop KDE PlasmaPackage Management DEB (APT)Release Model FixedOffice Suite LibreOfficeProcessor Architecture x86_64Init Software systemdJournaled File Systems Multilingual YesAsian Language Support Full Package List 2019Package 2019------------------------------------------abiword (3.0.2) --alsa-lib (1.1.8) 1.1.7ati-driver (18.30) --bash (5.0) 4.4.18bind (9.13.5) --chromium (71.0.3578.98) --cups (2.2.10) 2.2.10dhcp (4.4.1) 4.4.1e2fsprogs (1.44.5) 1.44.5firefox (64.0.2) --freetype (2.9.1) 2.9.1gcc (8.2.0) 8.2.0gimp (2.10.8) 2.10.8glibc (2.28) 2.28gnome-shell (3.30.2) --gnucash (3.4) --gnumeric (1.12.44) --grub (2.02) 2.02gtk+ (3.24.3) 3.24.2httpd (2.4.37) 2.4.37inkscape (0.92.3) --k3b (18.12.1) 18.08.1kmod (25) 25krita (4.1.7) --libreoffice (6.1.4) 6.1.3linux (4.20.2) 4.19.12Package 2019------------------------------------------lxpanel (0.9.3) --mariadb (10.3.12) --mate-desktop (1.20.4) --mesa (18.3.1) 18.2.7mysql (8.0.13) --nautilus (3.30.5) --NVIDIA (415.25) --openbox (3.6.1) --openjdk (11.0.1) 11.0.1openssh (7.9p1) 7.9p1openssl (1.1.1a) 1.1.1aperl (5.28.1) 5.28.1php (7.3.1) 7.3.0plasma-desktop (5.14.5) 5.14.3postfix (3.3.2) --postgresql (11.1) --Python (3.7.2) 2.7.15qt (5.12.0) 5.11.2samba (4.9.4) 4.9.4systemd (240) 239thunderbird (60.4.0) 60.3.1vim (8.1) 8.1vlc (3.0.6) 3.0.5xfdesktop (4.12.4) --xorg-server (1.20.3) 1.20.3

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=septor

Attached: Septor.png (1920x1080 414.53 KB, 1.19M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/
tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Attached: cringe.jpg (600x418, 26.92K)

Is this sort of thing really worth making an entire distro for?

the sad thing is that there's a hundred debian/ubuntu-based distros focused on giving an "easy desktop experience"

yeah, totally needed, not like we have Heads, Tails, JonDo, etc. (over9000 more)

Dude. Will someone please just tell me which is the best gnu/linux distro?
I hear so many being tossed around.
Please narrow your best 3 down.

Gentoo
Debian
Alpine

Any distro, the only difference they make is package count in default repos and package manager really, I haven't seen a distro that would be somehow different from this scheme yet, just pick whatever sound edgy enough for you, I got Xubuntu Minimal (the one from mini iso) after all these distrohops and its comfy enough for me, default firefox was too laggy so I downloaded GNU IceCat and it werks, I even did go as far as installing proprietary nVidia drivers and oh boi 720p on jewtube works smoothly! (the one of the reasons I was stuck with wangblows)

Attached: clab clab.gif (342x342, 376.11K)

ty

a combination of the other replies. Gentoo, anything that is the desktop version of a workstation OS are pretty good, depending on how you want to do things

Minimal installation worth it or do I HAVE to download that big ass 2 gig pos?

download netinstall isos and choose it stuff yourself

tryna burn iso to install into an ssd.

Is gentoo an easy install or do I have to do a command-line install?
I don't want to do an install in terminal.
I like a gui. gooey - I like a gooey

are you going to install Septor?

haven't even looked at that. fuck gentoo btw, 2complicated4me.

just something with a basic os interface I can dive right into without having to customize the shit out off -that doesn't have a ton of bloat.

y.

meme, install something with xfce or lxde

Probably swallow my SSD. Gotta buy a new one before I even think about that. May consider it if I find a decent option.

Why the fuck is the OS that huge

Because it's made The Gnome Way(tm)

Any secret, tiny OS you're not telling us about, user?

Debian XFCE/Xubuntu Minimal, not even memeing

GuixSD
NixOS
Void

GuixSD/NixOS are quite different. They're probably not great for new users either, though.

trying this later. already burned cd.

Lxqt > XFCE

Recently installed NixOS. It is definitely not for "casuals", but neither is it excessively difficult, unless you are looking to do something very specific. The documentation for the more "marginal" parts of the OS is fairly bad, but you are probably bound to find something with Searchengine-fu, or simply by asking in the IRC, which is almost always helpful. For complicated questions, usually you can open an issue on their GitHub.

void is very easy to use. I switched to it after Debian went tits up.

Just read their page.
non systemd.
not a bloated pos.
small file size.
i like it.

Void's biggest problem is that their BSD-style installer doesn't support hard disk encryption.

I'm just interested in it as an alternative to windows 7 on this toughbook cf-31. I do wanna use my wacom tablet though, dunno if it'll even be recognized by this thing.

You mean like it won't support a program like trucrypt or whatever? I'm not too interested in that sort of thing really. But it sounds like it sucks.

I think it looks like another pointless debian reskin with no use case whatsoever.

okay, installed void, running void and icecat. meh, I hate the whole terminal emulator aspect of it. just wanted a simple brainlet clickety click. but alright. so any good programs with installing on this thing? not familiar with good linux programs or debian packages.

*worth installing, sorry.

You can set up disk encryption on Void, but you need a manual installation for that. The ncurses installer doesn't support it for whatever reason.

That wont be necessary user, kek. This piece of crap bricked my SSD it seems. Or maybe I typed in a detrimental command. All I know is, Void isn't even loading. Trying to research to clean out an SSD to try again some other time.

Sage because this thread is an Ad.

no, since Tails exists.

also, you shouldn't just trust a random flavor of the month meme. Iam not talking about xubuntu here, but distros like Kali and Manjaro, for instance. Kali is okay for VMs/LiveCd, but absolutely terribad for regular use. But instead install a distro that's actually trustworthy and sane.

lol what a faggot, can't even finish his sentences.

Anyway, if you are new to Loonix, always read the manual before you run a command or a shell script. You can read the manual by typing man followed by the thing that you want to know about. You can use man -k Keyword to search manual pages related to the Keyword. Some programs have more comprehensive info pages (and their manual pages are more basic), you can read them using the info utility. You should at least read man 1 intro page and manual's manual page (man man).

Learn to use ArchWiki even if you don't use Arch Linux : wiki.archlinux.org/ ArchWiki has a list of programs that you should consult when you are looking for a program for a particular purpose. Second, read parts 1 and 2 from this guide: tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
Third, if you want to learn more about UNIX and Linux ecosystem, read: catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/

not a she. SSD worked fine too.
and void isn't that advanced, I followed the prompts just fine, and I'm a total noob to this. I think the software itself may just be unstable in a way that I didn't know how to dodge or perhaps I missed a step. the SSD can be cleared and run again. I also didn't like having to tweak basic shit anyway (brightness for exp was poorly calibrated). I'll probably try it again when I read up on it more. All I can say about void for now is that it is pretty minimal, and it requires too much fine tuning to get started

It's also incompatible with tiuchscreen as far I know/read. tried finding a wacom tablet compatible program and they had these seemingly outdated drivers. to even install a zip program (gzip) i had a hard time.

like it would say gzip was already installed, and when I'd look up the program, it was not there like at all. then I'd try rinstalling or seeking it out in the repository, it just wasn't there. weird.

user stop thinking in fucking memes. You do not want a minimal distro. Now go download one of the main distros and try them out instead.

Name me one that is compatible with touchscreen or wacom tablets and I'll try it. From what I can see, that doesn't seem like a main focus of any of em. Yet video and image editing software is provided.

install xubuntu or lubuntu

Xubuntu=systemd?

Yes. All distros based on Ubuntu have SystemD. Unfortunately not many of the main distros missed the Pottering meme.

can someone give me a tl;dr of systemd?

big and ugly.

Wacom tablets work pretty nuch out of the box on any distro. Minimal distros need to install manually xsetwacom for some calibration/configuration, but in most cases, it is not necessary.

I don't know about touchscreens because they are ghey, but I am sure most distros support it. Specially Ubuntu and derivates.

It's a controversial init system and service manager that is developed by Red Hat (pretty much the equivalent of Microsoft in the Linux world). SystemD overextends in all directions and tries to do everything (ntp client, bootloader, cron, syslog, etc.) SystemD is so big, complex and bloated that it might as well be proprietary software. Not to mention that whenever someone criticizes SystemD or find a bug, the top SystemD developers try to squirm and say that "it's not a bug", "look, that isn't a severe issue" and "WONT FIX lol". But despite all this, SystemD was heavily pushed, and it's has been now adapted by most Linux distros (there are few distros, like Void, Gentoo and Alpine that use and/or support other init systems.)

controversial? it's a fucking botnet and backdoor developed by commercial jews and pushed to 90% linuxes

why was it allowed? why linux lost so quickly? why stallman allowed it?

Stallman doesn't believe that complex software is proprietary software. Stallman believes that software that is distributed under the GPL (or LGPL for systemd) is free software and can always be modified by the user.

Linux is just a kernel, GNU/Linux is an operating system.
Stallman have nothing to do with decisions, that distro maintainers make. They don't know why systemd is bad, don't care about it, or just are too lazy to oppose it. They are also mostly "open source" lovers. The term "open source" is weak, people, who use it often forget about free software and freedom it gives and concentrate about convenience.

Technically he's right, but in practice, systemd might as well be proprietary. Anything huge like that is a nightmare that needs (((funding))) for big dev team. It's that way on purpose, of course, so Redhat can get more and justify fundings. Same reason Microsoft makes a lot of huge bloated shits. There's no fucking money in making solid products that empower the end user to fix the stuff himself when it breaks.

systemd is for literal retards who don't know how to AUTOEXEC.BAT in {insert your favorite script language here}

Use runit.

It's because gzip, alongside zip, p7zip, etc., are command line utilities only. There are GUI versions, but generally they are developed differently from the command line ones.

What a fucking tard

Nope; been using Void as a daily driver for over 2 years. What exactly is not working? I can help troubleshoot with you.
Unfortunately for you, that's done on purpose. Void stays out of your way and let's you configure stuff how you want.
Again, this is done on purpose as the distro tries to stay out of your way.
I encourage that you do and I am willing to help you out if you need it. A lot of the weird, tedious, and seemingly cryptic configuration steps aren't that frustrating once you've done them enough; additionally, you would encounter almost all of them on any other "minimal"/"diy config" distro or Unix-like system.
The only thing that I agree with that can be truly frustrating in Void is that is uses LibreSSL instead of OpenSSL and there are sometimes software (the vast majority of which are proprietary) that will not work unless you build the libssl and libcrypto libraries from OpenSSL yourself. LibreSSL is the better choice for an SSL library in terms of security though so it is good that Void ships it by default.

Yeah the lack of easy encrypted installation is annoying. To be fair, all you have to do is encrypt the partitions that you want using cryptsetup (which isn't too weird once you've read a few guides or watched a few tutorials, or better yet the manpage) and then you can return to the installer like normal. I think they don't include it because some people want LUKS on LVM and some want LVM on LUKS, and they're too lazy to add all of those options to the installer (which isn't a good excuse though).

Stallman's idea of freedom is a matter of authority, not convenience. Users must have the permission to see the source code so that they can study it and modify it to do different things. When users have this permission to study the source code, they don't necessarily have to do it with their own two eyes. Users will have the right to ask for help from a friend (if they have one willing to work) or they can hire one or more professional software developers to do the work.

void uses runit. is why i wanted to install void. it's a for sure non sysd. it's also very minimal, but I had trouble unpacking things in it so I dunno, mayb I'll give it another shot when I clear out my ssd.

interesting. I should have read up in that further. i still couldn't get it open afterward though, the command is unknown to me.

i was trying xbps-install -S Gzip or something like that.

the manual alone would have been a huge help. I didn't read it. I was just following steps from a youtube vid then I got curious to try the commands on the void page. there again, the commands didn't always work because like it says here I would never have figured this out myself. All new to me. anything Gnu is pretty new to me in general.

Attached: 7642212468_1c6e92473b_b.jpg (1024x689, 213.17K)

Stallman's idea of freedom is a decades-long autistic spergout stemming from the time he couldn't get the source code to a printer driver back in the 1970s. Later on, of course, he realized that he could harness goyim like the cattle his race believes they are in order to have them write a bunch of other software for him to use.

Occasionally, the goyim so harnessed get uppity, as happened when an emacs dev made the mistake of believing that promoting his idea of the direction emacs development should go was a conversation among equals. "Doctor" Stallman (fun fact: though he likes to style himself Dr. Stallman, he never earned an actual doctoral degree) told him that, no, he is the head Yid in charge of the GNU Project, tyvm, and that emacs will go in the direction he chooses. Because even in the world of "free software," the goyim don't own nothin'.

In the world of free software, users control the software they use. Any other narrative you care to spout is meaningless. Users can do whatever they want as long as they are willing to make it happen.

how did a thread about a gay systemd kde distro get 70 replies