Transfer of files between cxmputers

Let's discuss the transfer of files between computers.

Hxw do you personally do this in practice? What are the advantage and disadvantages of your method?

Attached: F4NCU2UIP08UOCQ.LARGE.jpg (830x530, 33.74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

0x0.st/shmV.c
github.com/Tucanix/Web-file-browser
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

scp or tftp
merely do these out of convenience

If it lay across NAT, then SCP
Else, I just use NFS

scp; dunno

I copied HL2 from one laptop to another with FireWire a few weeks ago. Not the fastest, but it works.

Typically rsync over ssh.

A hard drive if it's big stuff, rsync/scp otherwise.

Attached: 2C245069-720D-48AE-91C5-AD2473ABA008.PNG (491x686, 527.05K)

USB is kind of slow. I needed to transfer 5 gb of files yesterday, so I just put it on a local server and downloaded by connecting to that. Very fast.

Syncthing

What is eSata

Attached: allIuse.jpg (1200x583, 75.46K)

based, i'm a longtime syncthing shill. i've been using resilio sync as of late to connect my linux devices to my iOS device and it also seems to be a good solution.

Everything is stored on my home server, so I have a SSHFS share on all my machines. Plain and simple. I hate NFS & SMB. Pure bloat in my use case.

Syncthing is pretty shit, but I am more embarrassed to have once been a dropbox shill. It did work well, but of course it's an absolute NSA botnet.

sftp

I love how you completely leave out the S part, and make it more bloated than FTP at the same time. Also, if you cannot write your own FTP server, consider suicide.

My dream computer build's to run an OS off an SDD card and use removeable HDDs for everything else. Shame no case has an integrated card reader, though.

Attached: 2019-01-16-160942_175x71_scrot.png (175x71, 5.98K)

Why not run your OS off NVMe M.2 like everyone else and get one of those 5.25" x 4 slot cages for 3.5" HDD?

Attached: 1370046289646734668_1024x.jpg (675x450, 23.81K)

I use Nitroshare.

for big files, netcat. Comes without the encryption overhead of scp. Not secure but works with everything as netcat is in busybox. Perfectly fine for home.

For file transfer with my botnet systems, syncthing. Runs under it's own unprivileged user on my linux boxen, with access only to a very few selected directories. I don't let it outside my home network regardless as something about it gives me the strong feeling it's probably riddled with security holes. Don't know why. Software like this just kinda tends to be.

scp for very few files
sshfs for more and larger files but between hosts I don't want connected all the time
syncthing for constant updating of rather small files
SMB/NFS for trusted machines in LAN

I only got *nix systems, so normally use ssh-based method. Either scp if it's just one file, or else I'll do it from midnight commander where it's easy to tag a bunch of random files.

seriously though, why is transferring from a harddrive bad? I back up everything to it anyway

I use my shitty program.
0x0.st/shmV.c

rsync/sftp. I actually find it easier and faster than screwing with flash drives. I'm often grabbing config files off another machine.

right click > copy
plug mouse into new pc
right click > paste

for things i want to keep in-sync on all of my devices, i use syncthing.
for regular transfers, scp/sftp.

You'll go far.

SSDs are gay.

you could build mice with memory cards built in just for this purpose and you would make loads of shekels
dont be surprised when you see these because some china nigger in shenzen sees this idea

syncthing not because of a balding guy told me to use thing program

samba4lyfe even on *nix

Why not just make it private torrent?

I usually use rsynch through ssh and an ethernet cable.
advantages:
it is relatively fast
it doesn't require too much extra hardware
disadnavtages:
it requires an ethernet cable
it's kindof annoying to set up
you have to get up to unless both machines are right in front of you.

Because of this I'm stuck with transfering files through hard drives.

I made my own thing. I use it pretty often.

github.com/Tucanix/Web-file-browser

Attached: 2019-01-20-195246_1272x684_scrot.png (1272x684, 40.84K)

sshfs because I'm lazy

when afk

when I'm home,

Attached: 2018-07-27_00-18-12.jpg (1183x946, 353.09K)

git-annex is great