I really, REALLY want to start participating in Zig Forumslike communities online. im sick of being a part of the norm

i really, REALLY want to start participating in Zig Forumslike communities online. im sick of being a part of the norm.

but what are thriving places? where do you all go? what forums do you shitpost at, what games do you play, where do you watch videos?

Attached: y18.gif (18x18, 100)

Other urls found in this thread:

bsd-pl.org/en
nylug.org/
lobste.rs/s/cojtym/i_nearly_lost_all_my_data
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18949484
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18946712
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18086418
lobste.rs/s/ssukzq/making_game_boy_game_part_1
n-gate.com/hackernews/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

inb4

ebic

This is the right attitude to foster communities which promote free-software, GNU/Linux, and general technical ethicacy and advanced literacy; treat everyone else like an inferior retard!

What is the point of this attitude? Seriously?

*raises paw*
um, *thinks* *slowly lowers paw* i don't know any... sorry... *ears wilting*

Just make your own community, and like minded people will stop by.

Most communities concerning technology that are fun/productive are most likely IRL at this point. As for games and videos, I dont do either of that. Try seeing if your local Linux User Group or computer club is still active

Attached: 1411534937616.png (500x519, 182.05K)

*raises flamethrower*
um *pulls the flamethrower* *thinks* don't know any... *starts sweeping the stream of flames from side to side* sorry... *furry wilts to ashes*

I went to look at user groups near me and...

lmao dude what the fuck, well, I mean't something like this
bsd-pl.org/en
or nylug.org/
But otherwise, there aren't too many non-gay online technology communities, user. I used to browse hn and some bbs forums, but most of them have gone downhill to general dumb posting decline and namefagging.

Attached: wtf.png (1920x1080, 1.34M)

also, he probably wouldn't ask if he's not doing something Zig Forums related already (since knowing the related communities comes alongside getting into it), and if he's not what's the point? either most discussions will fly right over his head or worse he will look like an idiot when he opens his mouth.

reminds me of my teen forays into usenet and spotting a.sex.fetish.fish in the list

I use lobste.rs for self-promotion, since that seems to be all the rotten style of website is good for.

If you're anything like me, you'll get some attention from the crowd and maybe a single comment for your technical material you actually put effort into and then someone will post about feminism or how they did something stupid lately and they'll get most of the attention and hundreds of comments.

These people disgust me, in general. I dislike how it and Hacker News seem to be the only big forums for ostensibly discussing programming outside of places such as here.

Here's some fresh examples:
lobste.rs/s/cojtym/i_nearly_lost_all_my_data
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18949484
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18946712
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18086418

Here's an example of something technical that has been ignored:
lobste.rs/s/ssukzq/making_game_boy_game_part_1

If you want to promote yourself so others actually see your stuff, you basically need to use them, though. I haven't found any others.

Also, look at n-gate.com if you haven't already.

quality content of people that actually have any idea what they're talking about is rare OP, so search out the seemingly dead or slow moving places, like this one here and just lurk. You'll get a feel for what's out there. Sadly the tech side of the internet is overrun by normies, soyboys and pajeets. There still is quality content out there, though.

The problem is everyone wants to be the next rising star on $social_network, a consistently rising number of people that have less and less original things to say. This endless attention-whoring and promotion of every little brainfart is what really destroyed that side of the internet.

someone oughta do an n-gate for Zig Forums:

the more you lurk on places like here the deeper you get into it. I wouldn't recommend it though, it's in the end a waste of time. and everywhere is full of faggots. for some reason online communities seem to attract trannies, retards, furries, weeaboos of the worst kind, and literal faggots or mentally ill all the time. Probably multiple reasons why, but it makes non-homosexuals (like myself) and people with something nice to offer (not necessarily myself) just leave because they become shitholes.

but some places can be pretty cool. the coolest ones unfortunately are usually dead.

anyway, you should make a site on neocities. Sure, it's still full of faggots, but there are some pretty cool people online as well.

IRC is pretty active, I just hop around channels and servers though, so I never really stay in one place for a while.

Mainly I post here, sometimes I post on einchan or whisperchan. If you really want to you can find out how to connect.

But like I said, everything is pretty much dead, or gay. For the past couple months I've barely been online at all on these places. nothing you do online in these communities like you want to be in will be productive, or even really worthwhile.

You're better off reading books, occasionally coming here to converse with people for short periods of time, and try to actually learn and do things in real life.

General tech "discussion" forums are always shit for two reasons. First, the barrier to entry is very low, so half of your userbase will always be 15-year old kids and retarded niggers. Secondly,even a field that moves as fast as tech itself isn't all that interesting, and doesn't justify a 24/7 forum that you spend hours a day on. That's the reason that you see so much blogspam, and leftist shit fluffing up every tech site - they're primarily intended for people to use to kill off a couple hours at work every day. Lobste.rs' invite system solved both these problems for a while, by being invite-only and keeping out retards, and by having a fairly low post rate. Eventually though their policy of giving invites out to everyone ruined this, and it's now indifferentiable from HN

>inb4

How do you shill your community though and get people to join? I've found when I try to promote my community on imageboards they just never join and screech. R*ddit is a no go either. Not really any viable ways to promote without people being angry at you

It sounds like the problem is your approach.

Then don't?

"Zig Forumslike communities" are full of normies. Mostly normies who didn't excel at the things most normies really value, like athlethics, or socializing, or not looking like an obese goblin.

If you're sick of "being part of the norm," read Industrial Society and Its Future and follow Uncle Ted into the woods. At the very least, go analog, toss your cell phone, and find a more authentic way to live than wasting your life away in front of a screen.

You say that as if it wasn't true.

You don't. What you do is you find people who you know aren't retarded and you invite them to your online place. Then you tell them: find people who aren't retarded and invite them too. That's how you "shill" a group. And then you ban the shit out of anyone who proves to be retarded.

You don't actually want it to become big. You can't control a user base of hundreds of thousands of people.

Do people post their own projects on these sites? I've always been wary of trying to promote my own work, even though it's a hobby. Can't post any of it here either because it's tied to my real name.

It does get lonely coding all by myself. I just want some peer review, some sign the code's not fucked up.

get on tor and IRC and lurk moar, but unless you work on your career prospects you will forever be a larper

This offline reading can't be said enough. We all know, if we want to write a small script or look up a command or something, the easiest way often is to just to google it as somebody probably has had the same problem before. I've been trying to move away a bit from being online all the time so I started resolving my own problems by simply reading manpages. I've learned a lot and came up with quite a few cool solutions I would've never come up with if I just copy pasted something I saw online. It was absolutely worth it. Just lazily searching an answer somewhere online stifles creativity a lot, I noticed.

You should look into the communties now and then though, even garbage places like /r/linux. It's good to gauge trends and hear about new tools. You don't have to read all the (retarded) comments.

I have shilled some of my projects on Reddit, but it has to be relevant to the overall topic, and you need to make it clear that it's yours. I.e. don't go like "hey guys, look at this cool thing I've found *wink* *wink*", just be honest that it's yours and don't attention-whore about it.

This.

I only really participate on Zig Forums and some IRC / matrix servers.
I also read ycombinator shill central and lobste.rs shill central lite. I don't know if you count LFN a community, but I visit there every once and a while to check in on things.
Video wise, I pretty much only watch talks.

Why would anyone read /r/linux? It's useless. Try LWN.

Absolutely incorrect. Just buy a handful of accounts with reddit points, and votebot your posts to the top

facebook.com

*LWN

I do. I realized I was spending my time on projects and I had an audience of maybe a few dozen people or so. I decided it wasn't harmful for me to promote myself and my projects to a larger audience, so that's what I've been doing with these rotten websites.

This is exactly what linkdumps like Reddit are for; promoting things you like or make to a crowd of consumer whores. Doesn't matter if your product is culture, humor, software or whatnot; there's tons of filthy beggars with their lips wrapped around the other end of the content pipeline and signs hung from their necks that read "FEED ME."

Exactly. Zig Forums is about as big as you'd want any online group to be. As much as we like to call each other retarded, there are enough people here who know what they're doing to make the place interesting. When you look at a place like HN, it might have been good once, but soon it descends into retards self promoting and marketers riding off the name to impress the world at large with a mediocre blog entry.

My sides

Found the LARPer!

Attached: ok retard.jpg (773x935, 43.35K)

LOOOOOOL. You're a LARPer in denial.

Some useful advice for you. Always assume the person you're talking to knows more than you do. Firstly, you'll come off as more polite, and secondly, in your case in particular, it will be true.

Why would it be dangerous to promote a project tied to your real name here? Are you paranoid about normies knowing you use Zig Forums?

ok kiddo

top lel

Don't tell me. You actually own a fedora.

Attached: 8a22574f4022f73fcf466db2c81607d97a33d34d178f258763bb53e9162a3754.png (864x482, 360.12K)

debatable

Last time I posted a repo on a chan, people took my picture and started commenting on it. Some even called me cute.

I'd rather stay anonymous.

I will try it. I just finished automating some stuff that makes contributing new code easier. I'm documenting all my functions. I'll post there once I'm done.

Mostly because it's easy to say something retarded and end up getting raided since all my information is on display. I've seen it happen in real time on other chans to people who were being particularly obnoxious.

The only reason we say what we really think and are assholes to each other is we can escape the consequences. Anonymity gives us that power.

I always try hard to not be retarded but nobody ever invites me to anything :(

Back to >>>reddit with you!

There is a new group that calls itself "hackers", but is just a bunch of corporate faggots shilling their absolute bullshit products. The newest trend is to use SJW shit to call anyone a nazi if they don't like the product with 3500ms input lag on every button press. HN is full of this cancer. We need to remove corporations from tech by making "racist" products. Naming your open source software "dickfaggotnigger" and stuff like that, seems to be a good start. Make your haxor blog be called "tech-niggery" and post "irresponsibly disclosed" 0days.

lol okay

this is a jew post

Understandable. But you shouldn't be putting your picture on the internet in the first place.

I'd say just don't be obnoxious. Unless you're like the hydrus dev, making constant updates and answering questions all the time, there's not much risk of slipping up when making an on-topic post mentioning your project.

try freepo.st or laarc.io

Attached: 71565f9dae8771050560e8a83f984432a179b50afbeac25ac18b803f603d960d.png (373x503, 274.31K)

whats the point in making a niggernews clone

Isn't that what "hacker" news is for?

Attached: Nigger_Tech.webm (640x352, 6.89M)

Same brother, same

the best place imo to talk about real programming is language specific irc channels and a select few lang specific subplebbits imo (/r/haskell comes to mind)

this too, or just follow select blogs/profiles from people who know their shit.

Explains a lot about the state of this board tbh

I agree with everything said here but it prompted a question so let me just type my thoughts out: is there a sort of ubiquitous medium for responding to blogs/content? Not platform specific, but almost analgous to group emails based off of whatever URL is being discussed?

This is probably a /really/ retarded question and I'm sure I'm over looking something like SMTP, but is there any existing platform independent way to discuss content like this? Currently URLs are discussed on Zig Forums, lobste.rs, HN, reddit, etc and maybe there's a more streamlined way to discuss things?

I am attracted to good content, and in my opinion that sub produces it.

And yeah, the relevant xkdc comic about x+1 standards does come to mind. But wouldn't this be one standard to rule them all?

fucking SAVED. This post is so true it hurts.

What the fuck has gone wrong with the internet?

HN is pretty good n-gate.com/hackernews/

Attached: state_of_hn.jpg (831x69, 8.83K)

it was time to rewrite the OS in a memory-safe PL over 20 years ago nignog. also get rid of retarded ass concepts like terminal emulator as an OS while we're at it

futatsu.org

Phone posters lowered the average IQ of Internet users by 40 points.

Nothing. Don't assume that the world wide web is the Internet. It's actually one part of what makes up the Internet.

bump

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as the web is in fact, WWW/Internet, or as I've recently taken to calling it, WWW plus Internet. The web is not the internet itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Internet system made useful by HTTP, TCP, IP, other minor protocols, and vital physical components comprising a full network. Many computer users use a variety of networking protocols everyday without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the web which is widely used today is often called "The Internet", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically just the web, accessed through a graphical browser. There really is an intrrnet, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. The web is just the totality of websites, a bunch of interactive hypertext documents. The web is an essential part of the modern internet, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete networking system. The web is normally used in combination with the internet: the whole system is basically the internet with the web added, or WWW/Internet. All the so-called "internet" users are really users of WWW/Internet.

lel

If you want to know why I won't tell you, its to keep this out

but you're cute though

aww it's okey frien :)
*pats your head*

what the fuck happened to search engines, they got really bad really quick

He's right, programming reddit can be pretty decent. Lots of notable people hang around, so it's a little like a mailing list where I wouldn't want to call people niggers anyway.

Yep, also if you're doing Windows sysadmin / networking stuff Reddit can also have lots of decent info on troubleshooting, tweaking and optimization that I don't find anywhere else. You just have to ignore the $0.10c/post paid pajeet shills from Microsoft.

Still, it sucks that years ago most of these people who promote decent info and discussions would be hanging on forums instead of Reddit. I find Reddit an abhorrent site to use and navigate, usability-wise and interface-wise - especially if you actually have an account and use it to post. In some subs I can barely understand wtf is going on, they look completely chaotic to me, I believe mostly because of the system that sorts and promotes posts by relevance and upvoting rather by date. I don't know how normalfags can put up with this shit.

But at least, it's still on the clearweb and searchable through search engines instead of some closed platform such as Discord.

Hey, reddit sucks but you can make it somewhat more bearable. Switching to old reddit in the options already makes it much better. Then you can also sort submissions by date instead of popularity.

They ALL got pozzed during Gamergate or even earlier. YC was banning people for calling Snowden and Manning traitors when they were in the news for giving military secrets to China and Russia. I don't know of any decent ones that are left. Does anyone?

no, it's fucking shit and i've called people faggots there and get instabanned

Reddit, Stack Overflow, Hacker News... just alternate spellings for low IQ.

According to Slashdot users, the average Slashdot user IQ is 180, and around half of the userbase has been a marine working on missile tracking software. So you do you.

This.

The ironic rudeness is sometimes funny (cf. Double Nigger) , but probably prevents any kind of useful community from forming. imgboards are actual proof that event without persistent identity people will still jockey for comment level superiority even for a hyper-transient victory.

"Normies" is pointless argument. Full chan has all the freedom in the world (- rare pepes) is relatively censorship free , has no registration required, no persistent identity. Anybody can discuss anything, and out of that comes what?

Virtually everyone admits that no one on Zig Forums knows anything - Outside a small collection of people with hyper-narrow interests (Unix Hater) who shill every thread (but at least with some knowledge). The vasts majority of posts are meme tier reposts, the same advice given hundreds of times daily by people who haven't taken their own medicine - Install Gentoo, Learn Computer Science and variety of boring hate speech that derails threads.

Meanwhile, Norman communities like hn, actually do in-depth discussions in a non-confrontational way and are interesting to read.

Why can't anonymous, no persistent identity, forum do the same ?

Your posting a ludite manifesto on the internet on a technology board.

Next you'll be telling us how smart the niggerpill fag is
I've waste many hours scrolling through hn when I had nothing better to do. They have a much more diverse group of people, Ill give you that. But their interest and knowledge is limited to normal fag shit, they have very little that is particularly interesting to say. The best I can say about them is that they sometimes link to good stuff, but no one on there is producing it.
We're too focused on OC posting. No one is allowed to have merely read a good opinion, you have to have one yourself, ideally won through personal experience. Maybe we should have a thread where people can post good blog posts and wiki articles or something.

He is frequently wrong, and some how doesn't understand the difference between plaintext and XML, but at least his posts are interesting.
What is not "Normal Fag" shit? Its somehow both hn content, and instagram/facebook posts. Whats unique on full chan other than "NIGGERS" + Install Gentoo. In some ways, its kind of hilarious, but it ultimately doesn't produce useful skills of any kind.
This might be a cure!

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Mods are kikes. Why are they deleting my posts?