How hard is coding

Tech I just got laid from my job so I wanted to change my career and thinking about taking up coding.

I have a degree in BA and some familiarity with high school level algebra.

How much time is needed to learn a language?

Attached: Computer-Programming.jpg (746x486, 80.46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Career_Certifications
htdp.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

probably easier and better to go into system administration

How?

to build internets you need
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisco_Career_Certifications

Don't get into IT, it sucks and will suck even more in the near future.

Depends on what you want to do.
If you only want to program user programs that don't really rely on performance optimization techniques, resource management, etc., then picking up "coding", as you put it, is quite easy and requires only a short yet modest time of dedication to learn through application, by doing.
If you are wanting to get into something like programming games which does require performance optimization techniques, resource management, etc., then you are looking at many years of study.

6/10 post, had a chuckle at it

For people who don't know, there was mass layoffs at "news" outlets like Buzzfeed and HuffPo a few days ago and people who were fired are being trolled by being told "learn to code"

Depends on the language. There are two factors: size and complexity. For example, C is a small but complex language (many ways to shoot yourself in the foot), while Python is a simple but huge language. Small and simple languages (think Scheme or Lua) are quick to learn, while large and complex languages (think C++ or Common Lisp) take very long to learn.

The question is, what do you want to do with a language? For example, Scheme might be quick to learn, but if you want to go into systems administration you're not going to get much use out of it, while Python or Perl would be more useful.

The first thing anyone should learn is the command-line interface and shell scripting. This is going to be the most useful skill because you will be able to glue together small programs to solve larger problems without having to actually write programs. It does not take very long (let's say a week to get comfortable enough for everyday use) and every little progress you make will give you new practical skill instead of academic masturbation points.

Beyond that it depend on what you want to use the language for. The right tool for the job and all that.

What if I wanted to be my own boss? What's the short list of shit to know? Not OP by the way

if you have fun programming, learn it in your own time and don't rely on school to teach you as they tend to appoint you to watching resources you could find online.

htdp.org/

but who did they fire, all the articles on Buzzfeed and HuffPo seem to be written by bots.

I wouldn't know dude, I'm just a larper

Attached: are you serious.JPG (259x265, 17.24K)

Learning a language is quick (a week or so), but what takes longer is learning how to efficiently solve problems and master data structures. I guess you should go into web design, it's the least taxing.

It's so easy Pajeet can do it! However I have a feeling it's going to take you a pretty long time.

Only if you want to hate programming and your life forever.

What about working in retail? Maybe assistant manager at a big box store?

This. You either go completely insane, cut your dick off and become a tranny; or you lose all your marbles and start craving nothing but the sweet release of death. Yes, there is a lot of overlap between the options.

Buzzfeed / Huff po?

Attached: learn to code.png (596x540, 214.04K)

Silly user, retail managers don't know math.

Assuming OP attended high school in America, he doesn't either.

and it's assistant manager; local, not regional. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

Have you thought about taking up journalism?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (747x1325 670.09 KB, 454.63K)

My girlfriend has a masters in software engineering. Takes a week or so to get the basics of a language down and then seems like you're always learning how to do things in more intelligent ways forever after that. But hell she just codes for fun since she gets $27/hour as "tech support" at a large company because the retard boomer managers and 30-some year old women forget to plug in their power cables and can't figure out what's wrong.

hahahahahahahahaha
I hope she enjoys her meme degree

how many consecutive hours would it take though? like if you have a full 8+ hours everyday to learn it

What she does is barely tangentially related to anything she actually studied so I suppose she already is.

Depends on the person. It's probably easiest to start learning python, and there are lots of online tutorials for it. I wouldn't expect anyone to hire you until you had 6 months to a year of experience.

If you don't have anything in mind, think of a project right now (related to the field you want to work in), and just build it. Without a goal, there will be nothing to direct you in the material to learn.

You spent 4 years taking a business degree and your math is still at high school level? This doesn't add up.

Attached: Bogdanoff.jpg (768x605, 77.62K)

You don't need high level math skills to study how a business works and how the economy works.

I get paid $75,000 salary (n2b in Maine) to maintain an ancient piece of shit insurance company application written in PHP. It's not that hard and I work from home 3 days a week. Also I'm self-taught, didn't go to college. But I did have a lot of really awful and low paying programming / web dev jobs before I got any good ones.

Depends on the person, depends on the language, depends on how competent you need to be with said language to do what you need to do, depends on how complex the problem you are trying to solve with your code, etc.

Anything that is easy is going to result in you competing with several hundred million Indians and Chinese.

Anything written in a language created in 1994 is not 'ancient', there are people whose entire job is to maintain cobol codebases for banks written in the 60s. The oldest thing I have personally seen is microcontroller code from the early 80's written entirely in assembly, it was easily over 10,000 lines long.

Early 2000s is relatively ancient for a web based system.

You do realize you're doing everyone (except the fatsuits high above) a disservice with that? Legitimate programmers whose salaries will go down, users who will have to do with subpar quality software, etc. etc.

Is that a net or gross salary? If gross (which I suspect), what's the net one? What are the savings you're able to make after deducting costs of living from net salary?

Its just a joke you fucking sperg, journalists for years have been telling blue collar middle class people to "learn to code" when they get laid off from their mining or manufacturing jobs like smug elitist cunts they are and now a large number of those same people have themselves been laid off and the internet is turning their shit against them to hilarious effect.

When was the last time tech was "burnt to the ground and reborn anew"?

If you aren't able to compete with retarded programmers aka coders then maybe you do deserve a lower salary.

I regretfully have to agree on how right this user is.

It's *mainly* not about learning a language, but learning to think "algorithmically" I think. I have no idea how much time it takes to learn a language though, never measure that. Usually learning the basics of programming takes a one semester term at a university, in mine you do a three-day-a-week, 2-hours-each-day course over the course of about... 4 months? So you can do that in less if you're jobless/have the time and apply yourself. We learn C as an introductory language, and I think that should be everyone's introductory language, but if your plan is shorter-term you probably want to learn Python. I also hear Web programming (i.e. HTML, CSS, JavaScript and its frameworks) is hot right now but I feel resistant to touching that whole mess. But, hell, some people are willing to take up dirty work.

Bear in mind that what I said is a 4 months course is only for the basics. You follow it up by studying algorithms (especially trying to gain an appreciation for their performance, e.g. learning big-O notation and whatnot) and data structures, that takes another two courses, roughly. Plus there are many other things you want to be literate about, like binary arithmetic, and computer architectures, but perhaps as a self-learner you can learn that as it piques your curiosity, or out of necessity along the way. The best thing about learning computer things is that, since the internet was originally populated mainly by "computer people", their knowledge is shared around probably way more than any other area of expertise -- hell, it's out there out of neceessity. And even though that doesn't replace a college education, it can still get you a job if you apply yourself enough.

Attached: operator lain.jpg (630x960, 58.92K)

Gross, net is around $54k. I got a $2500 bonus last year so it was a little higher.

It's enough I was able to buy (a mortgage on) a house in the woods alone with my cat :) cheaper than renting.

Oh and I guess I save around $1500 per month I could do more but I bought a truck so I have extra payments on that.

For this part, it turns out you do.

How much do you need to learn to hack nudes? This all I want to know.

Attached: EFB68642-D3DC-4DDF-A90B-66216D9D0B65.jpeg (534x712, 48.27K)