Hidden gems

What is some underrated/unknown software that you use a lot?

i'll start:

Attached: 1541413969.jpg (474x355, 29.6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pragprog.com/book/khrust/programming-webassembly-with-rust
ss64.com/bash/history.html
raw.githubusercontent.com/CivilServiceUSA/us-house/master/us-house/data/us-house.csv'$
raw.githubusercontent.com/CivilServiceUSA/us-senate/master/us-senate/data/us-senate.csv'$
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shalom, I use Rust.

well memed friend

Attached: 91c8935da782145ea6c8970cf6dea6c5dac3b0839618d6b92b5e3acd97dd7a80.png (500x700, 134.46K)

can you rice st?

Hell yeah you can rice st, you just need to recompile every change and uh patch in the ability to read from XResources, at least it has an extremely smooth scrollback and high refresh rate, it's not as bad as most suckless programs can be.

Attached: xv.png (480x270, 15.78K)

Are you 12? Anyway, use qmmp if you like winamp.

quodlibet - music player with advanced search capability

hydrus

kek I was gonna reply until I saw your shit starters

It would be helpful to say what the program does as well.

can you share those?

These are my top 3 underrated:

Nice bait.

I don't understand. These 3 programs are extraordinarily useful. I don't think most faggots here even know what they are since there are only LARPers ob Zig Forums.
Explain how I'm baiting, please.

i agree on xargs which has its uses

and/or ag (the silver searcher)

true, they have the same syntax and ag is a bit faster but ack is super easy to install on any platform that has perl installed

grep comes preinstalled on every GNU/Linux distro.

Frotz for your interactive fiction needs. Lots of late '90s content. Not entirely infested by indie retards because it takes work to make games with potentially dozens of player options and nowhere to showcase the shitty pixel art they're all so proud of. I highly recommend the titles Vespers, Slouching Toward Bedlam, Anchorhead, and Shrapnel.

But they are used, even by LARPers. They are basic GNU utils. I may agree xargs is underrated because it isn't used all the time, but ls and grep are used on a day to day basis.

Any more of those memes? Pic related is all I have.

Attached: allisbotnet_orlycover.png (500x700, 91.64K)

Doubt it really qualifies here but I can never suggest soulseek enough. I've found some really amazing obscure music thanks to that.

its also a massive turd

found the zoomer

found the boomer

dd a Win7 iso to a flash drive and it won't boot. Image the iso to the flash drive with rufus and it will boot, as rufus will make the necessary adjustments.

Literally everyone used winamp during the win98/early xp era.

Attached: 12001048575.jpg (348x570, 28.19K)

So during the boomer era?

I'd have to spend time making them useful for other people. And I'm sure you can find a million repos out there doing the exact same thing.

Attached: 1417270971539.png (506x662, 312.45K)

Boomers' heyday were the 1960s/70s, so no.

It was just an example. rufus can make a bootable flash drive from a non-hybrid iso, while dd just mindlessly images the iso onto the storage device.

So sick of GenZ calling everyone 10+ years older than them a "boomer"

Aren't boomers at least in their 60's now?

what exactly is rufus doing in the background to make that work?

They indeed are, except for GenZ brainlets for whom everyone 30 or older is a "boomer".

That's when the boomers were kids. The boomers gained power in the 80s/90s through to today

rust

Why does SumatraPDF not have a good UNIX alternative yet, aren't we meant to have all of the GOOD software?

hashtab, for windows

displays a list of hashes under file properties. no need to ever look up how to do a hash manually ever again.

sox
Superior to audacity in some ways.

Attached: deletthis.png (382x522, 255.5K)

pragprog.com/book/khrust/programming-webassembly-with-rust

audacious
eiskaltdc++
maybe st too since ubuntu and debian does not even have a package for it so normies might not know about it

iMule (I2P)
OnionShare

gpg4usb
Ricochet

good stuff

No.

make it yourself, whats stopping you?

or audacious with original winamp skins

The Linux history command. You've spend hours figuring shit out on the command line and you don't want to do the typing again. ss64.com/bash/history.html

Direct it to a text file an and turn into a script.

The $() function in BASH not sure what this is even called but whilst doing dependency goosehunts on Ubuntu it's pretty useful. Example:

apt-get install $(apt-cache search java | cut -d ' ' -f 1) -y

will install of the java packages without manually sorting through the packages for the one you want to install. Time saver but uses lot of disk space and isn't an option if you have an ultra slow network.

grep and regex

Get IPV4 addresses
grep -E -o "([0-9]{1,3}[\.]){3}[0-9]{1,3}" file.txt

Phone numbers
grep '\(([0-9]\{3\})\|[0-9]\{3\}\)[ -]\?[0-9]\{3\}[ -]\?[0-9]\{4\}' file

Attached: copypaste.png (500x678, 111.84K)

people use tmux nowadays, gramps

Attached: 194925849.jpg (492x276, 26.03K)

Google search for something like this.

"o'reilly tech meme"

Attached: googling_the_error_message.jpg (600x787, 70.41K)

nohup is great for stuff like this.

$ wget 'raw.githubusercontent.com/CivilServiceUSA/us-house/master/us-house/data/us-house.csv'$ wget 'raw.githubusercontent.com/CivilServiceUSA/us-senate/master/us-senate/data/us-senate.csv'$ cat

wtf is it 90's again?

is it safe?

Boomer is a mindset faggot

ikr, atleast use qmmp or something along that caliber.

Attached: condesending.gif (360x202, 1.85M)

The gap between pre/post "computer age" is huge because it happened in such a tiny time span and was not a fluent transition. You can be a millennial that didn't grow up with computers at all or you could be one that had a computer, the internet and other electronic stuff since being a kid. These people can be the same or almost same age yet have grown up in completely different worlds with different cultures, so to say.

I think the internets ADHD-addled brain tries to explain this (inaccurately) with the boomer meme.

Speaking of which, anyone here have opinions on WebAssembly?

It's great, you can infect people even faster.

vis, a non bloated vi like text editor with structural regular expressions.

Boomers—by definition—cannot be 30 y/o.

Foxit Reader as alternative to Adobe Reader for GNU+Linux.

Everything was a very nice little program when I was still using Windows.

you mean windows before 8

hahaha
generation is a social construct

GenZ are the retards that keep on confusing 'then' with 'than'.

Your reality is a mindset, faggot.

Tribblix, AmiWM, Worker, NEdit, and XOSView. IRIX was the first OS I really fell in love with. I still use it but I also need modern software on Linux to get work done, like Libre Office and Chromium. AmiWM has the window focus follow the cursor like 4Dwm. It's great.

Attached: 20190107165109_1280x1024_scrot.png (1280x1024, 113.8K)

Nice memes lads.

Not sure if trolling or retarded.

Attached: I-DONT-KNOW-WHOS-JEWING-WHO-ANYMORE.jpg (954x704, 115.26K)

emacs is the only piece of software anyone ever needs to have installed. Any other piece of software is a complete waste of disk space.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

GNU*

Fopnu

Same guy who developed WinMX. A guy in there told me it's possibly an acronym (For old peer network users) (?)

I like it, reminds me of WinMX, but there's hardly anyone on it.

Attached: fopnu.png (1024x740, 154.72K)

Use SumutraPDF on Windows or whatever your Linux distro ships with. I don't know why anyone would use Foxit.

there's a reason for that kid, and your response indicates you don't know it.

tmux wasn't developed to replace screen, which your reply implies you still mistakenly believe.

lel

shell expansion, specifically command substitution

...and tweak instead of hexedit, since tweak has an insert mode

Cool little tool I used once to mux the subs of one mkv, with the raw blu-ray rip of another
Sweet little lightweight cd burner. Can't do everything, but is tiny and runs like a dream.
Does what it says on the tin. Shitloads of encryption methods, many of them award winning. Even has an option for false partitions, in case of hostage situations.

Attached: It s-sure is great buddy.png (565x284, 222.75K)

I've downloaded and shared a bunch of stuff for years. There used to be a floss client but it's no longer maintained

Do you use pkgsrc with IRIX?
That's one way to get modern programs on it.

PCem

Open source PDF readers for Linux does not support active forms.
I am not a NEET so I have to work with such kind of PDFs pretty often.

You can also mine more crypto shekels on their PCs than with js.

This goddamn bootleg program solved me more problems than anything else. It also somehow resizes shit without excessive frame loss, which is some arcane Ultra Video Splitter magic that I can't quite understand.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (960x710, 164.11K)

much harder to use than those retard friendly gui programs.

arandr

My peanus weanus of course!