How do neighborhood power outages work exactly? Every time it rains a little or the wind blows...

How do neighborhood power outages work exactly? Every time it rains a little or the wind blows, it seems power goes out for my entire region. I'm starting to suspect some asshole drives out to slap more duct-tape on and then leaves, feeling accomplished. Explain this shit to me.

Attached: po.png (925x502, 657.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Something probably shorts the grid (tree, branch or some other junk falling over power lines) which causes fuse in substation to blow so technicians have to first investigate what caused the short, fix it and restart the grid. It's hard to say what exactly causes the outages, maybe drive around the block and see if you can find anything weird going on (trees uncomfortably close to lines for instance) and then complain to your power company.

Trees/ice are two big ones. In our region the power corp decided to stop trimming trees for a few years, as a cost cutting measure. After awhile of this, winter came, ice storm happened, and power was down EVERYWHERE, due to all these untrimmed trees, which had become overladen with ice, fallen, and taken out power lines. Many, many generators were sold that year, and the year after. Homes were without power for weeks, during a leaf winter. Frozen pipes etc. and all that bullshit. Not a small issue.

Don't live in a 3rd world shithole like america and this won't be a problem

Attached: 5ce89d82c14dc8afc66b9e773be6735575b35d6212348eb8ccf5d73c2d8ddc0c.png (420x634, 246.64K)

americunts don't know how to put their power lines underground

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metcalf_sniper_attack

underground power cables are nice. there are never any power outages here.

Attached: c.jpg (962x642, 53.48K)

Dumbfuck from shithole doesn't know that underground power lines are hit by lightning more often than those above ground.

So what? They're already in the ground. Buy s surge protector, snowflake

In my region it's trees. Rain snaps branches. Branch falls on power lines. Whole grid shits itself. Hours later the faggots fix it. It drives me fucking insane. The tree hugging government won't let them get rid of trees that are too close to power lines and they won't bury the stuff either.

Basically things could've been good and functional but the world is too fucked up.

Gonna need a sauce on this

Probably trees. Could be your transformer can't take it.

I heard it from an employee at the local power company when I was a kid.
I also tend to believe that if people can still be hit by lightning while standing near it (not talking about arcing in the air, but it moving through the ground back up the person) that an underground cable will also suffer the same situation.

Doubling the sauce.
Assuming fair data, that does not make physical sense.

It's not entirely nonsense and can in fact happen. The power grid can be protected against that too and you can protect your house against it too with a three-step overload protection system. (google it)

Still, overland power lines are not immune against that either. Underground Powerlines still mostly have advantages. They're safe against the elements and especially against wind damage. They would significantly cut down on the number of regions suffering from day- to weeklong power outrages because their general immunity to natural disasters, (hurricanes etc.) the only real disadvantage they have is that they're pricey and relatively complex if done right. If the options are to provide good (but pricey and complex) service to the customers, or to maximize profits and just do fixes when stuff breaks and not care about the customers comfort, you can take two guesses which solution is picked.

that's what the death squads want you to think, that it's "just the rain and some wind" when in reality they are trying to spark the race war, it's the perfect cover.

What causes a power outage or how does local power distribution work? Two completely different questions.

A power outage is due to a disconnect or due to a short circuit. Both, completely different and unrelated anomalies, result in a same symptom - a power loss.

Obviously, an outage does not threaten any appliances. Is only a reliability issue.

A third and completely different anomaly also exists - brownouts or sags. These are irrelevant to electronics but can threaten motorized appliances (refrigerator, furnace, dishwasher, vacuum cleaner, central air).

So, which anomaly is a concern? Or do you want to learn how neighborhood electricity is provided (and protected)?

Then explain if it's all physics.
The only reason why the earth is a ground is because it is composed of some metal with free roaming electrons and has a huge mass. If the cables provide a path of least resistance for the charge to travel, it's going to go through the cables.

None of this can be explained in soundbyte sentences. Earth ground (like concrete and linoleum) is an superb electrical conductor since the term equipotential applies.

Earth ground performs many functions. But the one that means it is required by the National Electrical Code is to protect human life. Equipotential means no voltage. No voltage means no current. Current is what kills. Equipotential, in this case, means human protection.

Europeans seem to forget how expansive the USA actually is; it's common for people to drive 100KM+ to work one way every day. A lot of us don't live in mega cities. Please explain to me how we are supposed to implement underground power lines. Fun fact: the US interstate is the most expensive object on earth if counted as a single entity.

Attached: 3.jpg (1232x900 529.38 KB, 265.87K)

The USA is bloated. People there will have to change their lifestyle, after fossil fuels run out, tbh every human will have to. Hope fusion power will be available soon enouh.

That would be a nightmare in the USA.
ayo aye ain changin sheeit dem fuginn ypeepo be needins to gibs wut dey has. ya heard? we be needins shit

Cold fusion is safe. No explosions.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion

Not having all house covered with christmas lights all the time isn't that bad.

More like artificial star fart. There is nothing scary and dangerous about fusion. And no, that tesla coil contraption wouldn't work, because you would need strong changing magnetic field to get anything out of it. Tesla coil is basically a transformer with disconnected secondary side.

If they were going to do logical solutions they would just make nuke plants. It's all about marketing and government handouts.

Nuclear fission is much more dangerous than fusion - it produces redioactive waste, that has to be stored for thousands of years, also you can make a bomb out of both the waste and a reactor, look chernobyl.
Fusion on the other hand do not, or produces less waste, espetially when using Helium-3 isotope:
2H + 3He → 4He + 1p + 18.3 MeV, or 3He + 3He → 4He + 2 1p+ 12.86 MeV.

Pure energy, no radiation, it won't explode.

Excellent example of the marketing. Meanwhile France has been running on nuclear for ages with little problem.

Thats not a good reason for stopping efforts to create working fusion reactor. While fission is better than coal, it isn't good enough yet. Hydrogen is everywhere, whereas uranium is rare. After investing (((a little))) money, there will be a lot of profit out of it.

So the shooters watched at least one crime movie created after the year 1950. And they shot the big round things.
What's with Americunts and claiming an attack was sohpisticated every time. Even same shit for cyberhax0r attacks where some basic XSS is used to hack some webshit. That shouldn't be an argument in court either, contrary to what these faggots every time seem to be implying.

There are many reasons to put wires up high instead of in the ground. It lowers the parastical inductance, makes repairing easier, and is cheaper. Although its true it increases the chance of shit hitting it. You can also do this by cutting down trees around the poles. In the end since america isnt like europe and people are spread out more the most optimal way is in most circumstances is to put it on poles although in places with a higher population densisty it maybe better to put into the ground.

I think today it's better to put wires underground in populated areas (not between cities or something, that'd be crazy), the problem is you need space (no pipes right below) and if you have shit in the way that becomes expensive. Poles make repairing easier, the problem is they need way more repairs than underground wires (unless it's a place they can get flooded, but you don't put them under then).

Chernobyl was a specific design and it was also the perfect storm of human and technical error, with Chernobyl just about everything that could go wrong went wrong.

Another Chernobyl (in the way that Chernobyl happened) is impossible. Newer reactor designs literally do not work that way, and the ones that are like Chernobyl and are still in operation have been upgraded.

Nuclear power is the cleanest and at the same time most efficient power source we have. It could even be a lot better if it wasn't politically haram to spend any R&D money on it, it's depressing how many (actually feasible) technologies there are just in reach but not pursued, and how everything nuclear is relatively old stuff. Instead it's all thrown after pipe dreams like Fusion and keeping shit like fossil fuel alive.

*technical error as in the technology actually allowed the staff to do the utterly retarded things they did without keeping them from it. Since then Chernobyl is always used as the "nuclear bad" argument to end all arguments. Read up on it actually and you'll find out how utterly avoidable it all was if the staff wouldn't have been so utterly incompetent.

Hydro, tidal, wind, etc are all cleaner than nuclear. You can say it's cleaner than oil or coal though, but those are pretty much the worst.

Cleanest and at the same time most efficient, which I wrote. Hydro (and hell, even geothermal) doesn't work everywhere, solar and wind is really inefficient.

It isn't the cleanest, so it isn't the cleanest and something else. Wind is pretty good in the right places (like water or other windy places, not surrounded by mountains). Solar from what I recall loses a lot on being clean due to the way it's produced, I'm not sure about that though. Main downsides of nuclear are PR and upfront costs, I'm not saying it's bad.

Wind kills migratory bird species. Also, where do you think the carbon comes from for those blades?

Even if true (I doubt many birds are that unlucky, given the tiny area of the planet covered by wind farms), that doesn't make them any less efficient. Nor do the materials.

For once I understand where the LARPerfag is coming from but I'm happy to see a thread dealing with my industry/work where my the men in my family have worked for 3 generations. If you'll allow my autism...

This will vary from region to region but a little rain/wind shouldn't cause these issues. I suspect as other users have pointed out that your local co-opt is cutting costs by not trimming trees or allowing the lines to degrade and only replacing things when they break. I'm not a lineman so I'm not familiar with them that much beyond the simple stuff so excuse the lack of details. Basically, there are several factors on the lines that can cause them to trip/fail. The main one is trees and generally ice build up on those trees although sometimes equipment fails. Transformers blow sky high, people shoot at them with rifles, shit happens.

Generally, when the power trips in your home we will attempt to get it going again. Have you ever noticed that after it goes out it'll sometimes come back on 2-3 times before staying off for many hours/days? That's us attempting to restore service and hoping there was just a random occurrence on the line that caused it to trip. It's like a circuit breaker in your house that trips every now and again and you simply fix by restoring it to the on position. Most of the time this will fix the problem. If it doesn't work after 3 attempts we know we have major issues on the lines themselves and have to send a lineman out to check things before restoring power to the area. We also have to cut power to the area (and maybe other areas) so they can work safely.

Now here comes the part that pisses people off and why I can never answer friends and family when they ask when the power is coming back on. Lineman are independent contractors and don't work for your co-opt/power company. Generally, they stay in their local area when possible but they're always on-call to go where they are needed. For example, last summer in our local area we had what was left over of a major hurricane come through the area and lines were down everywhere. It took many days and in some places up to a week and a half to get the power restored. There were no linemen in the local area at the time because they were all 4-6 states away repairing damage from a hurricane two weeks before and the rest of them had just left town days before for the coast 2 states away in preparation to repair the damage from the hurricane coming in that week. No one expected the storm to carry so much energy so far in-land so we were basically fucked and were waiting up to a week in some places for those lineman to slowly work their way in-land to us. Those guys were sleeping in their trucks for months working 16+ hour shifts to get power restored over multiple states.

I hope that was helpful.

You'd be surprised. They don't contribute much to the overall grid.
Again, you'd be surprised how "clean" we've managed to get coal and natural gas plants in the last 20 years. I've worked both, mostly coal, and there is nothing but steam coming out of the smoke stacks these days. We filter out all the bad stuff and sell off the by-products. I'm not saying it's 100% clean but things have improved a lot in the last 10-15 years.

I've also worked in nuclear plants. All of them are very old now (70s and older) because no one is allowed to build new ones anymore. We do what we can to keep them going. I've never felt unsafe in one of them and they're inspected very very often. They come around and write $250+ tickets for unlit exit signs and such. My father once spent a week looking for a nut he dropped while working over a reactor and then did hours of paperwork in triplicate to document the fact that he'd looked everywhere and was 100% sure it didn't fall into the reactor itself. Things are very strict in those plants since 3 mile island happened.

I will say we should be going nuclear instead of converting so many coal plants over to natural gas. I'm anti-fracking for sure. I feel like nuclear is better than pumping chemicals into the ground with no idea of what the long term effects will be. At least with nuclear we know what we're getting. We'd also be a lot better off if they'd let us build new nuclear plants instead of constantly retro-fitting and keeping old plants going long beyond the time spans they were designed for.

Attached: dea438ca6b6b44bd90730a085083f3c66a14af33428f797960e8126f13c43ce0.jpg (550x512, 30.57K)

Well, first PG&E lets the power lines, poles, transformers etc get old and run-down. Then a bit of wind and viola! A huge fire happens. So they shut down power in other places for the fuck of it.

That is fucking ridiculous. You know what America needs? Trains, a fuckload of trains. It probably won't happen, though. The world is going downhill, so you can't realistically expect new infrastructure anywhere. Everyone is too focused on self-destruction to work on actual development.

I don't live in America, but I have a solution. How about staying where you are? Then you don't need transportation. Also, don't leave the house, and when you break that rule, just walk. The world isn't going to end because of something like that, it is going to end because of everything else.

Something that doesn't exist cannot explode too, quite naturally.

Pink hair means lewd! A pink hair girl is a slut! We should gang-rape her!

Me neither.
Decreasing number of people, producing food locally, producing things locally, by using 3D printers, sharing goods, knowledge. Sounds like utopia, or communism, but I can't see a better solution, until decent energy source shows up.

It's an hour and a half long round trip to go to the nearest store that sells food and 6 hours for going to an actual grocery store.

As someone who has lived with underground wires the only real reason not to have them is the initial cost. They need less repairs, are less susceptible to outages, can't be knocked down, unlikely to ever be severed, and generally provide consistent electricity. Fact of the matter is that unless there is no one to supply electricity to above ground wires are worse in every category except initial cost.

Pathetic that in today's USA the only factor to consider is the cost. "oh, you want a quality product? nah, too much. we'd rather bilk you out of every cent we can by using nature as the fall guy. suck it up it costs too much"

Kike shit.