OpenBSD as Primary Workstation

Been using linux since hardy, used various forms of it from suse to arch for different applications but now thanks to pledge+chromium it has replaced arch on even my laptop and my private server has run it since I first heard of it. My question is has anyone tried it in a workstation setting?

Attached: LibreSSL_logo.png (171x170, 50.31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ports.su/lang
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html
github.com/rangaeeeee/books-bsd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"it" being openbsd, because I'm braindead and an idiot.

Tried to use it on a laptop. got frustrated with the supposed extensive documentation and yet the lack of how to do supposedly simple things like connecting to the internet and setting up XFCE.

Not my cup of tea.

IIRC, It wasn't so much trying to set up the internet, it was that the instructions for the program were too few to account for the fuckups. Either way I don't use it anymore so I'm not bothering further.

If you cannot "connect OpenBSD to the internet," it's highly likely that you are retarded. At the very least, you shouldn't be here.

Most people here are literal children dude. That includes you. He is right at home here at that skill level.

A white nine year could accomplish that you worthless pajeet. If you weren't a subhuman niggerfaggot you'd know that was true upon reflection of your own past.

OpenBSD's documentation is light on step-by-step instructions, and instead assumes the reader understands basic concepts behind what he is trying to accomplish. That's too much for today's youth.

True. Today's youth literally die when someone opens a jar of peanut butter in their vicinity. Perfect niggercattle slaves. Generation Zion.

RTFM and get this companion piece. It's even a good read when taking a long shit.

Attached: absoluteopenbsd2efinal.png (605x800, 144.88K)

I have used Linux more than 10 years. Not only OpenBSD but also FreeBSD doesn't support recent hardwares. If you want to use BSD, you'd better use very old hardwares.

So I use Linux today also.

LARPing

I remember reading that as a kid, I probably owe a lot of my systems knowledge to it. It's easy to laugh at newfags, but we were all there once, just most of us forget how we even learned in the first place. At some point I must have learned the basic shell commands, but I don't recall when.

I just realized that that meme have same meaning as "samefag".

I remember how I was reading that in the kindergarden while everyone else couldn't do anything more useful than playing with toys. I wish more people would be smart like me.

It doesn't.

Every time I tried one of the *BSDs (yes, any of them) it was nice but something about the hardware I used wasn't supported, sometimes with the statement that it probably will never be supported.

also yeah, all the *BSDs claim great documentation but in fact in my experience it was often pretty spotty. If you don't use garbage programs without manpages in linux, linux is at least as good if not better in the documentation department.

There was a time when I didn't know what BIOS was for and why would need to use it to reinstall Windows on my computer. I wanted to learn things despite everything was really strange and confusing back then but here I am, I can set up a Linux system from scratch without breaking a sweat now. People shouldn't be blamed for being ignorant, but rather not accepting their ignorance and always being eager to learn more.

Explain.

Nobody on Zig Forums knows how anything works. So if you have faggots claiming that they are BSD pros you know that they are only LARPing as such.

Oh, now I get it.

user, the whole point is on imageboards you have this constant influx of people wanting to be spoon fed. The appropriate response is lurk more. You have anons coming on here every day asking the same. damn. thing. over and over and over again. It gets pretty old. Therefore, the people who do lurk here get fed up with it. If only newfags would spend time lurking to find the answers for themselves, rather than wanting to be spoon fed, they'd actually learn. Doing research is learning. Asking to be spoonfed is mind control.
Let's have a for instance. The openBSD documentation. So you want to install openBSD, eh? You've read x and y about it and realize it may be superior. But here's the problem, the documentation isn't step-by-step. Here's what you do: look up the things you don't know. It's a learning process. It takes time. Literally Google (duckduckgo) it.

Nearly all of Zig Forums are post-doctoral students in computer science role playing as ironic retards. Of course, some bona fide retards like you aren't in on the joke, and naively think to make this your home.

Paul, don't give it away to the newb. Damnit.

thanks for the validation kiddo

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (324x299, 152.71K)

This is a myth, have you actually used openbsd before?

Its mostly because the BSD community doesn't mind people being stupid or slow at picking stuff up - mostly they just fucking hate when people don't read the manual and ask stupid questions - so when some "idiot" who is "LARPing" as a BSD user posts to the mailing lists a genuine bug as opposed to his misunderstanding how to read the manual it looks a lot like spoonfeeding an idiot to a linux user. Its a little different in the linux world mainly because of how many varied and unique pieces of tech do exactly the same thing - so bug reporting takes a whole different level of care when taking criticism/comment on code/functions.

The documentation is actually okay. I wouldn't say better or worse than linux, but it's ok. You have to sit down to read it, for linux you can quickly search your problem online and somebody else probably already solved it, that's the big difference. (If they solved it well or correctly, in many cases- who knows)

With all of them, you get one base system that's put together a certain way and that's it. Not much to confuse there. Coming from gentoo and being used to have not much of the system abstracted away, what I found the most confusing were the little differences. The same commands just behaving *slightly* differently. That's not the fault of anyone, but it takes getting used to.

What kills the *BSDs is the poor hardware support, even for 6+ year old mainstream systems and hardware in some cases. You have to buy the system with *BSD in mind, if you decide to just install it on whatever you have lying around, chances are not everything will work, especially graphics/ wireless or whatever usually needs blobs/inside knowledge of the hardware. Linux has more commercial support. Linux (the kernel) also has generally more stuff for specific usage cases, you don't get a lot of choice with the BSDs there either. If it's needed or not is something case-by-case. The hardware support is truly poor though. Even the things that are supported aren't always supported well and come with a bunch of "ifs" and "buts" and tiny advantages of the hardware like in-hardware video decoding, encryption etc. (yeah yeah it's all botnet I know) are not leveraged, something Linux has gotten really good at compared to 10-15 years ago.

That's the most frustrating thing, else I'd like to use them. Just don't feel like finding the perfect system for it where everything will work. If somebody has some advice there, feel free to mention it. I'm just afraid it'll probably be some oldish system with absolute horrid power/performance ratio that'll still be somewhat slower and worse with the *BSD than with Linux.

Most of that is wrong or outdated info, but not off by much. fw_update kills your comments on blobs/hardware except for nvidia - which fuck nvidia. All the BSDs have a ports tree and Net/Free both have an entire linux compatibility layer if you *need* a specific debian userland tool or something. And what the fuck are you talking about, OpenBSD formally initated software/hardware vendors handshaking when it came to crypto acceleration. They also have mesa, based in like 4.2 or something, so video decode/encode is only tool limited which learn to use ffmpeg you dolts. Sorry to sound aggressive, but these are some true myths of the BSD world avoiding specifically the actual flaws - like massive over-provisions on OpenBSDs behalf to security axeing performance or FreeBSDs ideological two-facedness when it comes to licenses/NDAs resulting in "best for me, second for thee" tech which while good for securing their in-house servers doesn't do anyone else any good. NetBSD is almost exactly how you described here, but no one actually believes NetBSD is anything more than an experiment or educational tool or some good fun with a dreamcast.

NetBSD is actually perfect, man. I like that it has no incentive for anyone to jump in and start niggering it up. Seen too many things get ruined once they got popular.

Attached: turn undead.jpg (1171x1600, 814.93K)

no, it's the fault of GNU.

I use it on my T42 but I'd rather use something like Gentoo on modern machines.

Absolutely. OpenBSD is an enterprise-level, cloud-capable, webscale OS incorporating blockchain. It's perfect for a workstation setting.

It works fine as long as it has what you need. If you need niggered out games or wintard software, forget it. If you are already a Freetard then it probably has everything you already use.

I only installed OpenBSD. But I failed because of its lack of hardware supports. I used PC-BSD and TrueOS though they are actually same.

But anyway, all BSDs I installed and used are not good comparing to Linux.

So I use Linux and Android.

I was required to use OpenBSD as a workstation/desktop OS on the company I was doing an internship in, around 10 years ago.
It was fucking terrible, Something like Slackware or Arch would be 10 times easier to setup, find proper tools and software, and get them working. I'd end up spending more time messing around getting the OS in a functional state than actually getting shit done.
Like I say this was a long time ago, maybe it's in a more usable state as a workstation OS nowadays, but I wouldn't count on it.

10 years ago I worked at a company that provided IBM Thinkpads (they gave me an R51e) to all their contractors and employees. I dual-booted it to OpenbSD, and it ran perfectly, even the wireless was great (it was an atheros-based card btw). Took me only like 5 minutes to install the OS, which is typical for OpenBSD. Then I added a few packages like firefox, vim, and various dev tools, and I was almost never booting into WinXP anymore.

You're right. BSDs are always sucker than Linux due to lack of developers. They always have driver problems. You always have to use outdated hardwares!

Windows is the only OS that has reliable hardware support. For the rest you always have to do research before buying.

I noticed that OpenBSD lacks a port or package for mit-scheme as well as Racket. Are there alternative ways for one to install these programs, or will I ha r to look elsewhere?

ports.su/lang

Attached: multilingual.jpeg (1212x798, 79.22K)

New hardwares are inherently botnet (ME/AMT/uEFI etc.etc.), no wonder OpenBSD doesn't support them

OpenBSD supports new hardware just fine.

Also apparently *BSD users are really whiny, strike two against these OSes time has forgotten, lol.

Fun fact: Did you know 99.3% of all strcopys are in driver code of linux?

I'm thinking about using guile instead just for the sake of using OpenBSD. From what I've read, it's fairly decent, but I would like the opinion of you folks on the language.

Guile is Scheme. If you like Scheme, you'll like Guile. If you want to connect your Guile programs to your C programs, Guile is specifically designed to help you do that.

Think I tried FreeBSD on an old dual core laptop and saw it was sluggish as hell. Went back to GNU/Linux.

guile is meh. chibi-scheme is better and much much easier to integrate with C.

It's called a retard filter and you were caught by it. OpenBSD isn't like other operating systems, user. If you can't figure out how to make it go you're not in the target audience. It's that simple.

All BSDs are suck except macOS and iOS!

All Linuxes are marvelous including Android!

If we petitioned OpenBDSM Foundation to use some of their funds for an transparent, documented external audit, would they do it? Or are they too arrogant and proud like Theo to try?
csoonline.com/article/3250653/open-source-tools/is-the-bsd-os-dying-some-security-researchers-think-so.html (they were quickly fixed which is respectable, but one person finding 25 bugs is not. The devs only seem to audit the bits they like)
Yes, they are the top of a shit bunch but that's no excuse to be complacent. If a comprehensive verifiable professional external audit finds little to no errors, they have quality assurance and respect from skeptics. If they do find lots of bugs, it makes their software safer when fixed and shatters unwarranted pride.

Your position is ultimately flawed, openbsd has proven this by simply being more secure than what you are currently using by every verifiable metric - actually improving cybersecurity instead of giving out stupid awards to name and shame and fuel some bias system.

I'm not saying they aren't the most secure net-enabled modern OS. It's easily possible that they are from their track record. I just doubt they are as secure as they think they are or at least as they advertize they are.
'The most secure OS' is a great start, not an end goal. If one person found 25 bugs in that short amount of time, that is a sign that this 'constant auditing process' still has room for improvement.
Dismiss the jab about the pwnie, sure. That does not invalidate the rest of my argument for an actual professional audit. Auditable does not mean audited.

Racket is a much better scheme.

The problem wasn't even hardware support (it was outdated hardware actually, so it had drivers for everything), though I couldn't get the printers to work and had to transfer the files to another machine whenever I wanted to print something.

But the problem was mostly software availability, lots of stuff I needed or wanted to use wasn't available for it, or there wasn't prebuilt packages available and you had to compile from source.
And if you need to build something from source and run into dependency problems or broken Makefiles, troubleshooting this shit is already bad enough when you're using a normalfag Linux distro. God help you if it's on OpenBSD.

Android is the only Linux distribution that gets graphics right, even of all the still pitifully existing *NIX oses even. Prove me wrong. You can't. Checkmate, atheists.

Android is the most popular Linux distro because it's easy to use. It makes it easy for people to want to become dumber.

Android just works on minimal hardware, good luck watching a simple HD video on a normal linux/*BSD desktop without choking the CPU out. Or even try getting something like smooth scrolling in a browser. Shit's broken.

Works for me.

Android is non-GNU Linux. GNU thinks Linux is same to GNU but they're completely different. Linux is kernel and GNU is third-party softwares.

Is Ungoogled Chromium buildable in OpenBSD? I unfortunately do not see it in the ports list.

What BSD would you folks recommend for a general use desktop OS? Security and privacy are very important to me, and while I recognize that OpenBSD advertises itself as the most secure OS out there, I've seen others suggest that this may not be true due to certain practices of the devs. I'm currently leaning towards OpenBSD regardless, but I'd like the honest opinion of you fuckers in order to make a more informed decision.

When I take a look at the ports list, I see a severe lack of software I regularly use. Is this lack of software an issue in the eyes of you folks? Are there ways around this, such as Linux compatibility?

Project Trident or GhostBSD

Maybe FreeBSD would be better?

I am an OpenBSD critic but I still think they are the most secure. I am no expert, but they don't have the reputation for no reason. They remove unneeded features and do reasonable checking on often used code. This way they avoid lots of common bugs.
They aren't perfect but they're easily on of the best. What matters more is usage. Airgapped Windows XP is on par with TempleOS for privacy and security, so long as physical proximity is not in your threat model. Part of OpenBSDs security is that its harder to add insecure or non private software (outside of the browser, at least)

I had no problem finding the ACPI and APM documentation the last time I had a similar problem running OpenBSD on a Pentium III laptop.

BSDs work on only very very very old hardwares....

How would you describe the lack of software for OpenBSD? Does this usually cause problems, or are there ways around it that I don't know of?

It works on my machine. :^)

Does Steam work on opanbsd?

Why even bother using OpenBSD at that point? No amount of security will save you if you purposefully install spyware on your system. Another system would be much more well suited for you, as OpenBSD has a severe lack of software, and will almost certainly be incompatible with any of your games, if not steam itself. You're better off using windows or Ubuntu, since you are already disregarding your privacy.

this

OpenBSD is an inferior OS because it can't run Steam!

Ah, i see now!. Security through lack of functionality.
take that jews!

My attention span is too low for that.

If I had any purpose, reason, or a real way to benefit off of making my own Linux Desktop from scratch, I would be dedicated enough to do it.

But not here, not now, not like this...

Spoonfeed a download or I'll make sure something javascript becomes an industry standard.

github.com/rangaeeeee/books-bsd
You can correct the bookmarks and metadata if you want

UEFI is not a botnet, it is a specification. And it is much better than BIOS in every way.

Ok, you found bugs in OpenBSD. But the design of OpenBSD assumes users running software with bugs.
The more important question is: can you actually exploit those bugs? The fact is that OpenBSD is the only operating system which by default shuts down the process or even the entire system if it finds a program misbehaving.

fuck off back to /g/

You have to go back

can't play AAA games on it, not interested.

OpenBSD is an awesome project but is pretty much unusable as a workstation.

It lacks any file system support. If its not ext2, or the native FFS, your pretty much not using it. File transfer pain.

Virtually everything crashes constantly due to no one developing for oBSD - Firefox crashes constantly, valgrind wont even compile. oBSD is agressive about turning on exploit mitigation, and 3rd party code doesn't integrate well including essential development tools like valgrind.

Little 3rd party code is available anyway in ports. You basically will package everything yourself.

There is no mandatory access control to enforce enterprise policy.

OpenBSD is said to have high quality code, and its frequently audited. It is probably tested more in server roles than desktop roles. It has the aclaimed PF firewall system.

Its probably useful is an education tool on the design of Unix, and as a server.

Wouldn't use it to host any hidden services. OpenBSD sticks out like a sore thumb.

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Just use iridium.

NetBSD as desktop though? Isn't it already the nigger of the BSDs?

I used to use oBSD for a lot of servers. Was good, firewall was fun to work with too.

(OP)

You can use it as a minimal desktop but really FreeBSD is much better situated to use as modern Desktop than obsd. I used freebsd as a desktop about a decade ago but whenever came time to run updates (between releases, even) shit would hit the fan. I think they've improved package management but... just harden Linux and use that instead. It's currently much better suited and will take less time to do.

I am going the other way.. I've used obsd for years - it's great, my first love for sure. It's completely suitable for my desktop needs except for one thing.. speed. It's a dog. On a Core2Duo systen, obsd vs. gentoo is not even a comparison in terms of being responsive. I can't even watch a movie and browse a web page on obsd without audio artifacts.

I installed Gentoo.. what a masochistic installation process, I hate it. But performance is amazing compared to obsd.. a new lease on life for my machines. NFS is faster, no audio artifacts, and everything feels snappier. Everything. I feel dirty as hell but I can't give up 30% performance. Maybe 6.5 will be faster.