I didn't think it would happen so quickly, but my laptop refurbished from 2007 is falling appart...

I didn't think it would happen so quickly, but my laptop refurbished from 2007 is falling appart. I am typing with the on-screen keyboard as of now because I set clamwin to autokill and I dont know how to get this damn trojan botnet off without killing muh old laptop. I am on Win 7 on a Dell with an SSD. Any advice? If you suggest Linux then I need an emulation and vidya friendly version because I haven't played with real linux since 98ish? Plz halp?

Attached: anons angry cat.jpg (1677x2046, 437.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.7.5/wine-mono-4.7.5.msi
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NTFS
youtube.com/watch?v=1POn-aNix74
retroarch.com/
linuxmint.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Enjoy shit performance faggot
Most lower end vidya will probably work on gnu/Linux as well. Just install gentoo already faggot.
Thinkpad x200 or nothing

Here's what I do in Debian (assuming you have amd64 arch)

dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt update

(nvidia)
apt install libgl1-nvidia-glx:i386
(amd)
apt install libgl1-fglrx-glx:i386

sudo apt install wine wine32 wine64 libwine libwine:i386 fonts-wine winetricks zenity

echo 'export WINEARCH=win32' >> ~/.bashrc

winetricks dxvk

wget dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.7.5/wine-mono-4.7.5.msi -O ~/wine-mono-4.7.5.msi
wine msiexec /i ~/wine-mono-4.7.5.msi

How to install applications

wine foo.exe
wine msiexec /i bar.msi

Wine path is here ~/.wine

Why are you installing wine32 when everything is 64-bit now? Good question! Windows people are FUCKING RETARDED.
Many proclaimed 64-bit programs are actually 32-bit so much so that this is the easiest way to handle it.

I am an SNES/PSX emu fag along with mostly pre-2004ish vidya. I have more than enough performance; so why Gentoo? Isn't Clover or Temple OS the best?

This is on testing btw. I'm not sure if stretch will have dxvk.

Neato, but this does not answer my question.

I don't have any money left and I am on a laptop. I need a solution for something finite and older.

you can go a long way with emulation these days

Just format it bro

can you dick around with something in safe mode?
that's a cute cat btw

You are so cruel.
It has an SSD and I am not familiar with that. :/

Yeah he will bite you up like a good Tom should.

Attached: Black_Cat_reacting_to_Mahler.mp4 (240x240, 457.7K)

We have SNES / psx etc emulators that run natively you know.

KEK
You guys really are autists. Good. What is the best flavor of Linux for a casual user? My SSD is 250 gigs max...so perhaps that is a better way to put it.

Attached: 2_reasons,_tifa.jpeg (1534x1534, 303.31K)

Are you talking about Windows games or console?

Probably some mint/ubuntu flavor. manjaro seems to be be popular, but in my experience not stable enough to be suitable for a casual. Debian is autistic about non-free repos. How much ram do you have?

Also, I don't think most distros need more than 10GB for the default install (which usually includes web browser, media player etc.), I wouldn't be surprised if most fit into 5GB. 250 is plenty.

Is the keyboard actually broke or is it the virus fucking with your computer?

Whatever can be played on PC.

Only about 6gig for Ram i7 Dual-core CPU (literally the first i7 on the market). I have used Fedora and Ubuntu in the past, so I can work the OS but I don't know how to setup a proper security system.

I can make space.

I believe its the trojan/botnet + my clamwin (I set it to autokill mode) that fucked the keyboard. It could be solved with a reformat, but I don't have a Win 7 OS CD.

Attached: angry llama.png (1224x1741, 2.05M)

Nigger, you can get the .iso from microsoft's site

Allow me to elaborate a bit: if you don't know how to get windows .iso files you have no business being anywhere near linux.

Done

Was it always like that?

I know how to get any .iso, but I didn't think microsoft would offer it free. I don't have the SSD space for dual-boot anyhow. Thanks though.

This is why you keep a regular USB backup keyboard on hand. Windows 7 has Safe Mode you can enter without taking it up the ass from fastboot, unlike 10. So do that and check your keyboard again. You can flash the ISO there as well, assuming you downloaded it - you don't need a physical keyboard to get a Win7 image off some tracker or the MS website.

1. Try safe mode. Should be usable to run an antivirus (I don't remember if malwarebytes is still any good)

2. Get a flash drive. Borrow another computer or go to a library, download a linux livecd, install it on the flash drive (or a CD/DVD), boot it, access old files to backup, and wipe. Install fresh.

Also what the fuck is with this cat's paws? Is that some kind of growth on the back of its front paw or is it wearing cat leg warmers?

Not OP though I figure it would be the right place to ask; are files stored in an NTFS or exFAT drive read and write accessible by Linux?

Yes, now uninstall that soviet shovelware, and install gnu+linux over it, you communist fuck.

Well how many years, did you expect it to last, twenty?

There's kernel support for NTFS but last I heard it was quite spotty with writes. Also there's multiple packages that use FUSE for NTFS/exFAT support that actually works.

On the other hand, Wangblows doesn't even recognize ext4/whatever partitions and will gladly overwrite them for whatever reason it desires.

Hmmm. I have that now, but what need is a suggest for what flavor of linux to use. I can still just format and install win7 too.

His du claw isn't retracted and his fur is white while the sun is shining on him. That's all.

I got it 3 months ago ;_;

Attached: cat hanging out.png (606x808, 493.24K)

Thinkpad X200 or newer with Devuan. Thank me later.

Thanks, I was curious about this after seeing the gentoo page in hopes that its information was outdated:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NTFS
but it seems my dream dual boot setup isn't possible yet.

Install CloverOS, then follow the instructions on the github page to revert it back into Gentoo. Voila, fastest (and best) distro installation ever
youtube.com/watch?v=1POn-aNix74

Disregard the kernel ntfs module. ntfs-3g (uses fuse) does work, although it can sometimes break the fs in a way that can only be repaired by windows' chkdsk (there are some repair tools for linux, but those only work in some cases). Happened couple times over several years to me. no, windows does not have the habit of overriding your non-ntfs partitions unless you instruct it to do so. I've never had any issues like that. It may override your bootloader though. There are ext4 drivers for windows, at least for reading.
I would not advise you to use ntfs from linux for larger storage, but it's good enough to do minor file management and moving stuff to proper data storage.

Install Mint with Cinnamon DE. Install PCSXR and ZSNES. For Wangblows games, use Lutris ans Steam.

It's GNU/Linux.
You can use RetroArch.
retroarch.com/
Wine can run most old shit fine.
If you aren't trying to run old stuff, then reinstall Windows.
Shouldn't have asked this on Zig Forums, you'll get recommended meme non GUI shit.
Just use GNU/Linux Mint.
linuxmint.com/

if it's falling apart why do you need software help?

unless you mean the software is messed up, which is not what falling apart means. in which case, you literally just reinstall windows you dork.