ReactOS > your opinion over it

Is it the closest thing we get to Linux imitating Windows down to detail? Or is it just as, if not more, broken than WINE?

Have you tried it, have you tested it, and have you experimented with it? All questions I want to know.

If I were to run any Windows program on it now, what are the chances it won't work?

Attached: 1200px-ReactOS_logo.svg.png (799x600 419.98 KB, 346.75K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=b4K933ZBxi0
forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26791
codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/features
ameliorated.info/
reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7134
github.com/maharmstone/btrfs
n3t.host/mumble.html
biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/06/30/2011063001364.html
reactos.org/wiki/Missing_ReactOS_Functionality
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=b4K933ZBxi0

The ReactOS and Wine developers share information with each other, so I guess compatibility would be about the same, but both projects have different goals. Personally I don't really see a value in an OS for Windows software, but I guess if you have an ecosystem dependent on a lot of Windows software it would make sense.

ReactOS has nothing to do with Linux

Really?
I could've sworn I heard somewhere they used it as a chassis for it, but I guess I'm a victim of following the baseless rumour. I feel silly, almost makes me wish Zig Forums had the option to edit comments based on your IP address, and not your claim... Then again, that's a privacy issue.

Anyway, that also got me thinking...

Remember the Windows XP Pirated Edition you usually saw on computers in Eastern Europe?
I've thought we could all try and get together to make a Windows 10 Community Preference Edition.

Unlike the primary version, it will re-insert customization of the desktop, modernised widgets, legacy applications, a FOSS database, make the Windows Store "Completely" Optional, but most of all, remove any and all Privacy Malware currently festering the system, even the hidden ones when deactivated.
It's not going to get updated frequently, if ever, but the community is capable of fixing more bugs than Windows could ever hope for.
I admit, the only reason I even want to do it is because I want to run Windows applications without technically "owning" it, but I pay my dues only to people who respect my personal space, and my right to use the software that I paid for as I see fit at the same time. I don't really care if this idea gets stolen neither. As long as whoever did it makes it work, I'm all for it.

It's not practically legal, in fact this post might get taken down for a DMCA sooner or later, but the price of Windows 10 is about as worth as their Privacy Statements...

Attached: Windows_XP_Pirated_Edition.jpg (1024x768, 47.63K)

At this point, I also have a feeling ReactOS would've been capable of so much more 10 years ago.
But I wouldn't be surprised if Windows secretly sued them with a cease and desist letter for infringement.
The plea deal was to slow the development to a crawl, or face legal action they'd have a worse chance of winning than a Lottery Jackpot.
If anything, we could all try and get together to improve the ReactOS already to show in a way that the people have spoken.
I'm pretty sure some of you that read this post never even heard of it, let alone contributed to it.
Here's your chance, tell Microsoft you won't need them.

Attached: windows-10-2299378.jpg (460x755, 59.58K)

*Microsoft

God, I'm off today...

Nice LARP

Occam's razor, it's far more likely that the devs simply aren't that good nor swimming in resources.

Man, I'm doof-ing today.

Must be something I ate...

ReactOS looks similar to TmaxOS....

Shit project that's going nowhere, thanks to the devs' terrible management skills.

typing on the computer is not LARP

It's a South Korean company.
I have doubts...

What they lack in privacy invasion, they make up for in unreliability.

Just look at Samsung.

That's why it's Open Source, and that's why I''m suggesting that we come together to finally break down the walls of being forced to use Windows just to run nearly every program effortlessly.

If there are things you can/could change and fix (along with some code-digging in Windows), what would they be? We have a chance here to be free of Microsoft's Clutches.

And you can help...

The last time I tried ReactOS was back in 2013. Have things improved?

Lack of good management is a common problem in open source projects, so that doesn't help.
There have been millions of chances, the entire open source community let them all slip away.
No individual person can help enough to make a difference, as long as management is bad.

They're accused of a license violation almost three years ago but because gooks no one cares:
forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26791

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (2048x1536 4.47 MB, 5.01M)

No wonder we're here today with that kind of pessimism...

At least listen to this idea:

What a waste.

That idea is so stupid not even reddit would fall for it

I think ReactOS is an exciting project. I could see it being useful as a way to preserve our Windows legacy. Only downside is you have to put up with all the freeloaders who thinks this is just a free version of Windows and complain how it is developing slow.

Attached: kim_floppy.jpg (450x346, 49.52K)

The South Korean company, TmaxSoft, stole many source codes from open source projects and they made "Tmax Window" and "TmaxOS".

It is no wonder if TmaxOS looks like ReactOS. Maybe they could also steal source codes from ReactOS.

What's the point?

Compatability with executables compiled for windows

reactOS is an excellent project if you don't look at it as an OS for the end result. discoveries made in reactOS go to wine and vice versa.

Last time I tried it was a decade ago and I wouldn't have high hopes even now

I know it is, but I'm willing to try anything just to get rid of my dependency on Windows, and at the same time have the ability to use the applications without any issues.

I could contribute more to WINE, but unless half the Windows user base miraculously switches to Linux in the next 2 years, it's going to take decades for it to be perfected.

It's times like these I'm proud to say: "I hate systematic monopolies..."

P.S. Is WINE pretty much the only way to run Windows Apps on Linux? Or is there an actual Emulator?

REACT OS ISN'T LINUX
Linux = *nix kernel
Reactos = NT kernel
Reactos != Linux

Search for "windows 9"

Bigger corporations are finally recognizing GNU/Linux as a legitimate operating system and developing for it so I'm guessing that GNU/Linux will reach its maturity phase faster than ReactOS, mainly because one of them has to intimidate a clusterfuck of a bloated piece of shit operating system while the other can advance independently.

What is it about their management skills that's wrong?

Absolutely. It went from "absolutely terrible" to "barely usable". There's still lack of NTFS support and it basically uses one CPU core. Also, USB support is still incomplete and it's 32-bits only.

There's stuff that can't be used with just a compatibility layer over Linux. I mean, Ext4 is still mandatory case-sensitive and you'll be fucked before you can load a Win XP driver over Linux.
There's overlap with Wine but they have different goals.

Legacy software and hardware.

Your best bet for the time being is Linux+Wine. Wine is progressing immensely but it's not there for the latest, say, video editor.

The only way unless you count CrossOver as a different thing. It's based on Wine.
codeweavers.com/products/crossover-linux/features

At this rate React OS will never reach Linux's maturity.

This already exists and is called windows 10 ameliorated edition.

Better not. Just look how OS/2 fared, no generic programs because Windows programs will run too. For Linux it is better to have no compatibility layer for windows, sorry Wine developer but that is the hard truth.

ReactOS is a complete operating system. Linux is just a kernel.

Attached: 49302086_403530730452851_1787876767136175645_n.jpg (1000x1250, 61.44K)

In what alternate reality do you live? Linux had no Windows compatibility since forever and it's still used in much less than 5% of all desktops.

OS/2 failed because it was a bad OS. But that's what happens when you associate with Microsoft. Also, you're comparing vastly different paradigms. There were almost no decent multiplatform development environments. Today development is mostly done in multiplatform shit like Python or QT.

Windows compatibility can only help Linux grow.

I would never use it personally. I just have no use for Windows or clones of it. I've been using Unix and Unix-like systems such as Solaris and Mac OS for close to two decades and they're just superior in every way. I could not give less of a fuck about games either. Get a Playstation or something if you want bing bing wahoo shit.

This. React OS is not based on a Linux kernel. It uses its own kernel that's a rough clone of the early NT kernel, at least in so far as the drivers, syscalls, and other interfaces work. It's pretty much WINE, but with an OS underneath.

The problem is that cross platform shit is big and bloated and it sucks. I would rather use an OS with a nice Motif based interface and very little software like Solaris or IRIX, because the quality of the software is much higher. I don't care about portability beyond POSIX.

1. I've got no use for games either, just something that can run Adobe, Corel and MS Office on a Linux practically with no bugs.

2. I already said I made a mistake, but there's no way to correct myself up there. I was half asleep that time or something...

3. You're right, I've been thinking of switching fully to Linux as well, but it's about as easy as quitting smoking. Withdrawal is a hard thing to stomach.

I've had an Idea for a special Virtual PC that contains only one operating system. A modified bare-bones edition of Windows, to run on all operating systems, but it seems kind of stupid...

Can you link me with a URL or an Onion or something?

It failed because Gates and Balmer commanded their Drones to do a lot of highly illegal shit. Stuff like revoking Windows licenses of any Computer store that stocked OS/2; Million-dollar bribes to Government and Industrial clients; etc.

OS/2 had stuff like real multiprocess multitasking, and had the design to run semi-vritualisation, allowing Windows itself to run as a process. Before Windows95 came out, it was an OS that run proper ports of Unix software-- non-trivial things like GCC, Emacs, Perl, LaTeX, etc.

Raymond Chen, Microsoft's Coding Guru, was one of the Net's biggest OS/2 developers. But then he kissed the ring...

Never mind, I found it:
ameliorated.info/

And before you take me down, it's perfectly legal. As the Legal Notice stated at the botton of the page:

Who gives a shit about windows?

They didn't use LTSB as base though

What do you think will be released first? Hurd or ReactOS?

React OS boots on real hardware. GNU/Hurd didn't the last time I tried it. It would only boot in a VM.

Tmax Window, windows compatible proprietary OS from Korea
Jun 30, 2009

reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7134

Everything? They don't even try to stick to their core goal, see the whole btrfs thing.

Linux cannot advance independently because the environment around it is the same: if you don't conform to your user's expectations, you won't make it far.

For Linux it is better to get its head out of its arse

It's irrelevant. LTSB also phones home. Win10 AME also does this because they advise against disabling some stuff, but it's a good start.

No it's not, it's a hackjob made by retarded LARPers whose suggested solution to the lack of security patches is "disable admin from the default user LMAO, also never use SMB outside of airtight intranets", and who can't even maintain DX12 compatibility.
If you want to strip down your Os to the point of non-functionality just rm rf

In which reality do you live?
Linux is not developed as Windows replacement on desktop or laptops.
Linux is not some enthusiasts hobby project, but an industry driven commodity OS for server and IoT.

OS/2 was a stable OS when most people used Windows 3.1 and latter Win95/98/ME. OS/2 was even used in ATM and had no blue screen of death, like the embedded versions of Windows that replaced it.

Nobody is interested in grow for the sake of grow. Trying to play catch-up with the windows API would be retarded for Linux. Why should someone program for Linux if he can cover both by programming for Windows and then Windows would be still superior.

What holds Linux back is reinventing the wheel, not once, twice, but multiple times. Just look at the mess that are the Linux desktop environments. That retardation is not limited to the surface, but to the inner working too, sytemd is just one example of unnecessary mucking around with the core of the OS. If it ain't broken don’t fix it! It is really that simple.
People want an OS as a stable base for their computing, that don’t change much and integrates new technology as seamless as possible, not some flavour of the month, special snow flake, hysterical show. That is BTW why that literally gay CoC is such a bad sign for the future of Linux, is part of the bad omen for the future of the West.

That is never gonna happened, at least until reactOS becomes a viable alternative to Windows, far, far away, maybe in a time when Windows itself has become legacy software.
So while it would be nice to wrangle away from Microsoft the control over the windows API, there is no indication this will happened in some foreseeable future.

Which is a good thing. This is what Linux does. Unless windows is so shit that you can bypass admin restrictions it's a genuinely good thing to do for the default user.

So why not staying with windows 7 or XP(64) if the alternative is an equally unpatched OS with known bugs?

From a security point of view, no Microsoft OS should be allowed to connect to the Internet. Networking should be limited to more trustworthy OS.

Buy a console and isolate it from your home network. Gamer are such a gay bunch of cucks, that like to take it in the ass, that nowadays can not even imagine that computer and console games existed and worked fine without being connected to a bot and spy network.
That is why you are called goyim, literally cattle, because you have no self control and restraint, like a animal.

The default user is admin for backwards compatibility reasons. Old Windows software assumed only a single user and that user had full control over all parts of the OS. By making the modern Windows default user as admin, many of those old Windows software will work with less hassle than going through UAC every time you load the outdated program.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm saying it's not a viable replacement for actual security.
It's the equivalent of going "just don't download a virus bro".

opinion discarded

This is a valid thing to say. You can never fight against a retarded user. What else can you do other than install uBlockOrigin with malware filters and maybe have uMatrix. Most malware comes from the browser.
AV software isn't a good solution either, it's actually worse than having no AV.

Again, it is a valid suggestion as part of a larger security strategy (which can include adblockers, as you say), not as the one and only line of defense.
AME is put together by LARPers that only do the latter.

That's pretty obvious. But what's your suggestion, other than not using windows?

checked, also my solution is simply to use windows: realize that any serious privacy risk is unlikely to come from obvious and unpopular vectors such as windows update, and depending on your situation either keep all sensitive info outside the machine or keep them all on the machine.

imagine being this illiterate

see the whole btrfs thing
What about it? I followed it and I don't understand what you're trying to say.

So you're saying Linux is not good enough for the desktop. I'm aware of that. Should the desktop world keep running Windows then?

Oh, wow! So advanced! Too bad it was still crap. How many years have you used OS/2 Warp? Or are you just LARPing?

Nobody cares about programming for Linux so I don't get how having compatibility with Win32 can be any worse than the current situation.

Regarding the rest of your reply, yeah, Linux is shit outside servers and it's probably not gonna change in the foreseeable future.

Nobody cares, Timmy. Are you gonna give dev teams 3 times their budget just so your sorry ass can use native applications?

You're in the minority. People want Windows compatibility.

Are you serious?
Windows does not have btfrs support, so adding said support to reactOs would be out of scope regardless of everything else: and given the current state of development, it's especially out of scope as core functionality is still not there.

Yeah, but you're saying it as if the core devs decided to squander their time in adding BTRFS support.

It was a Google intern who implemented it on a Summer of Code sprint. It cost nothing to the ReactOS team. Sure, he could've chosen something else but it was his free time.

So's using quotes from your betters when you're rebuked for asking a asking a stupid question. We ain't google, faggot.

it can play quake.

It's more code to maintain, that will be a significant cost in the future.

They're using this library and it's not maintained by the ReactOS team: github.com/maharmstone/btrfs

I think you're making it seem like a management disaster when it's such a minor thing. Besides, there's a need for something better than FAT32 until NTFS is implemented.

here you go...n3t.host/mumble.html

No, what I’m saying is, that those paying for Linux are not interested in the desktop. They have no interest in a Windows replacement for the desktop, but for server and embedded.

Linux is good enough so not really good for the desktop use of 90 percent of people, surfing the web, youtube and occasionally writing a letter.

There is no option for those with a more intense use of a personal computer, all the applications are running on Windows.
The few good software packages for Linux for personal use are most of the time islands, lacking the environment of many supporting programs like on windows. Often even the support by the OS is sketchy as with audio.

Yeah, too bad it was replaced with shity, blue screening Windows, not only to power displays (hey why not embedded Linux with a lean web server?), but in ATM as well.

Personally? Zero, no applications.

Pros do care a lot, just not for your personal gaymer box. One of the reason is, beside of being cheap, is to have an alternative to Windows in case Microsoft becomes mad, like we are observing now (touchscreen GUI on server with a fullscreen calculator app). One of the strong points of Windows was to have a working GUI for administration of desktops and server in contrast to Linux.

If Linux would have a working compatibility layer, nobody would write anything for Linux.
One of the main reason why Windows is the dominating desktop OS is backward compatibility going back 20 years, not only for programs but for hardware/driver as well. People don’t like to waste money and the work they have done. That is BTW also the reason why Apple has lost all the niches they dominated in, DTP, Graphics, Audio to Windows.
On the server level Linux has great backward compatibility.

Attached: Screenshot.png (1024x768, 98.25K)

reactos isn't just about the DE. by the way is that chicago95? I'm using chicago95 on XFCE

ye

South Korean company, TmaxSoft, made TmaxOS by stealing source codes from ReactOS and they sold it to South Korean government! They are thieves!

As with other cases of them stealing Japanese snacks, life will still go on for these gooks.

TmaxSoft made many softwares, JEUS, Tibero, WebtoB, and etc. And they sold them to South Korean government and companies.

All of their products have been made by stealing source codes from open source softwares!

Under South Korean copyright law, even though they're thieves, they also have copyright about their adaptation. They only have to pay to original copyrighters. South Korean law courts are similar to Chinese law courts!

Name one example of gooks stealing shit from elsewhere and selling as their own but pulled after outcry, other than the Plastic Love rip-off.
Then spread the "TmaxSoft is accused of stealing from open-source project without credit" story to wider audiences.

It's very easy because they already were filed many lawsuits against them by many software companies. So there are many Korean newspaper articles. They usually paid settlement money to accusers to quit lawsuits. But in some cases, they failed to make settlements.

The below newspaper article is about the supreme court of South Korea ruling to discard TmaxSoft software because of copyright infringement. You can translate it by using Google Translate.

biz.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2011/06/30/2011063001364.html

But TmaxOS is almost complete by now user.
The [Russia-based] ReactOS Foundation can sue.

The irony is almost palpable.

How do you sue someone with a letter?

Attached: ea1ca2a727421071888fd6537530abac1cf4185e3ff79df4f3cc59958639c449.webm (1269x3326 1.38 MB, 419.27K)

I don't give a shit about your post you sub iq nigger, I click on peoples posts to get the fucking quick reply up.
i just happen to not remove your post.

Yes a nigger like yourself couldn't even comprehend what an argument is.

Enjoy gook-pop by the way

This is looking quite usable.
Are drivers a massive issue?
Apart from drivers, what is wrong with it?

Enjoy being a fucking dipshit react cocksucker. Only reason you would be so mad is if you were from that forum.

I like reactos. The good thing is there's more testbed and devs to contribute on wine.

What is that? Also that nostalgia hit me hard. There's plenty of work to be done and even ntp won't be usable let alone the wifi indicator will see there is no network (checks if connection is okay) back when I tried to debotnet my windows install. There's also registry shit going on that can upload your device IDs of hardware and USBs, small database of all filenames and hashes about the size of 6MB per 300GB files, and other botnet shit. It's basically a headache but it can be managed with lots of hardwork. Good fortune if you ever start that project.

found the problem.

I think it has problems with the scheduler
The bugreport is very offensive considering the amount of work done.

lol

What are you smoking?

Not that user but considering the webm is without sound, that user assumed it is cuckwebm but judging from the filename it might be an OC and it could also be your post.

Wrong.

Are drivers a massive issue?
Yes. Plenty of work to be done there. USB support is nowhere near complete or stable.

Lack of support for:
NTFS
USB
More than one core
64 bits

Not to mention weird bugs with software as old as Office 2007.
It's still very much alpha software.

reactos.org/wiki/Missing_ReactOS_Functionality

see, this is why we need compulsory army service and at least values from Fascism, fucking faggots...

It doesn't boot after install on most native hardware. I have experience

I see your point, but the webm is not the screencap and even from the thumbnail you can see the screencap is not of halfchan

it's a free software community doing something since two decades what a billion dollar company took 12 years to achieve.

it's windows 2000, basically. the NT kernel took years of developments to become stable; and when I say stable, it's server grade stable. There's still companies using Win2000.

ReactOS is no longer useful. It used to be the case that a lot of software was developed only for Windows. Nowadays? Web apps and web app wrappers to have a "native" client on all major platforms with very little effort, though it's little more than a browser that can only visit one website.

Native computer development is dead. It's all web and mobile these days.

The next time you download a program that was developed recently, try looking into the tech behind it. If it's something like React Native (no relation to ReactOS) or Electron, it's not a real native program.

Basically, ReactOS is a solution to a problem that no longer exists. The only reason to use ReactOS is if you care about vidya gaems or ancient software. But really, you might as well use WINE or a VM or something instead.

Now we even can play games on Linux thanks to Steam!

The bulk of productivity software is native and likely will remain native due to performance requirements and compatibility with old setups.