Privacy phone

I'm tired of bein spied upon by botnet, i don't trust my current phone or any modern one (even modern "dumb phones")
So i was thinking about getting myself one of the legendary stainless steel Nokia 8800.
Until i heard about Librem 5, i'm really confused.
At $650 its definitely not cheap, do we even know what the specs will be ?, how can we be sure that it's safe ?

Attached: shell-l5-1.png (480x388 276.16 KB, 24.81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Hardware_Reference.html
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Librem-5-Delayed-To-Q3
archive.vn/UiqfD
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

be minimalistic. preorder the light phone 2. go light. There's no such thing as a fully privacy phone, all phones are tracking and recording devices.

There is this thing called the internet, I suggest you use it

Couldn't find any spec sheet.

replicant samsung galaxy s3 or s4
/thread

Too bad.

Try using a search engine. It will help you find something out on the internet.

networks are the problem not phones themselves

Just use a chip bag :^)
If it doesn't works for them then it can work for you too!

GSM/Edge is planned obsolete.
Look at this map. Even 3G is ready for obsolescence.
If you're really looking for anything close to ready, you should look for Necunos which is rumored to use the same QMI-RIL that Replicant has been developing for years. Librem can't do code. Don't trust these fucks.

Attached: 4g-map-worldtimezone.gif (626x306, 21.63K)

S4 isn't supported.
S3 4G isn't available for valid reasons.

Dumbphone. Carry a laptop and only use your VPN when on untrusted wifi. There is NO private mobile OS and there never will be. Just get a flip phone for calling/texting and desperate web browsing in emergencies, never log into anything with it or connect it to your home network.

Let's discuss phones.
1) dumbphone
>dumb: probably can't leak anything to google/amazon/apple/etc.

Meme choice is librem5 nigger, you have a search engine. End of thread.

Stallman is right, just learn how to live without a phone. It's not that hard, worst case scenario, keep a dumb phone with a removable battery around.

Literally less than 30 secods on DuckDuckGo:
developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Hardware_Reference.html

The Librem 5 is the best bet right now to keep some semblance of control and privacy over your phone. "Dumb phones" can be tracked through cell towers, you lose a lot of functionality (web navigation, GPS, media consumption, better contact/calendar management, opening files, etcetera.) by using them AND they WILL contain nothing but proprietary and outdated firmware.

The biggest downside to the Librem 5 is the outdated specs, compared to modern smartphones, and the lack of app support it'll have. So it's like having a "dumb" phone with extra functionality.

As for Purism, they have delivered so far. The Librem 5 has been delayed several times and they have made several mistakes developing it (namely trying to adapt GNOME 3 for it instead of using already finished projects like Ubuntu Touch, KDE Mobile or maybe even FirefoxOS) but so far they have delivered all their other products.

if it runs normal gnu/linux then it will support lots actually useful things. only things it wont support is proprietary android botnet apps but people that buy this probably dont want to install snapchat or other botnets so it should be ok.

Attached: 1575746_IMG.jpg (1200x1600, 524.76K)

Exactly, i'm looking forward to install Gentoo on it and use it like i used to with my old Pocket PC.

Of course. It'll be able to run all of the GNU tools like mv, sed, gcc, etcetera. The Librem 5 is more like what we (or at least I) expected 15 years ago as "pocket computers."

The thing is that it won't have any mainstream appeal and it will not have any mainstream app like WhatsApp. Which may be a problem depending on what OP is expecting.

why even get a botnet free phone if you are going to install such things on it

About the only alternative is to make a VoIP only phone. But then you have to use a sip trunking service, and the only such service I can find halfway decent is Twilio.

Anyone else know a good, private sip trunking service?

How's the Nokia 3310 3G?

Attached: 67406[1].jpg (450x450, 23.61K)

only accurate post in this thread, the providers of the communications channels you use can intercept your traffic regardless the hardware you use. good luck finding a phone that can run an encrypted tunnel that doesn't have some backdoor in it.

Not using the GSM network is the ultimate solution.

The ideal "phone" would only use wifi with a hardware kill switch and a randomly changing mac address.

If you use gsm your service provider and whoever they work with knows who you are and where you are at any moment.

Attached: 843d591f4b6b242fead7c2a959f52f2523b403618fca303626b004f94fd827f1.jpg (1263x1920, 773.82K)

Yeah, lets just make all communication with ordinary people impossible. What could possibly wrong, other than standing out?

About to be obsolete. The U.S. telcos are retiring their 3G networks between now and 2021.

you could also talk to them irl.. thats what people did before phones existed

This girl is really seeeexy! I wanna beat and rape her!

communicate with them using gms, just know what the limits are and that you're always being watched

why do you always post those

I can't remember the last time someone called me.

Go away Pajeet

Be the boss and own that shit!

Until a device has easily-replaceable disposable cellular modem There used to be PDAs with such technology 10 years ago, there is not much privacy to expect from it. Flushing IMEI is illegal, even if you do, the inner working is still proprietary and non-verifiable unlike MAC address.
Only way is to have an encrypted VOIP communication with people over public wifi+random vpn/tor and limited interaction with nomgoyims through voip-telephony gateway provider that gives you real phone number for a fee and access over SIP or whatever. The later scenario will save you from beginner level overpowered system abusers,a s well as telemarketers and such scum. Won't save from alphabets, government, banks and tecoms, because they record all voices and compare to sample library already.
You can use two above scenarios with librem phone running gentoo or whatever gimmick marketed towards /r/privacy audience, but be aware, that last mile cell towers will triangulate your position, as well, the company running them will record your traffic, so be careful to encrypt, anonymize and route it through 7 vpn servers.

leaves you in the same situation as home internet connection. The only solution to that is leeching internet off strangers, which is a big inconvenience for most people.

what reasons?

Is windows mobile safe ?
Not the modern one, the old PDA version.

Attached: hx4700_ppc_03.JPG (1400x933, 164.71K)

This map is sort of bullshit because, at least in most of these 4G third world countries, you'll usually only get 4G signal on the financial district and upscale neighborhoods of the largest cities. Any other location it's 3G or GSM.

Attached: feminism_010.jpg (900x449, 152.29K)

i got one and it's okay but using the directional pad square is a pain in the ass. It also comes with "apps" like facebook so don't know if it's any better than a smartphone

This!
Any mobile phone is a beacon, by design. If you think about it, it would be difficult, expensive, to design a network that does not track the movements of its members.

Don't switch on-off your phone when you don't want to be tracked. That is an indicator, metadata too.
Instead leave the phone at home, switched on.
If you are concerned about being listened to in your home, put the phone in an sound-proof, airtight box that allows radio waves out, so the phone can still connect to the tower. Maybe two Tupperware boxes, one small inside a bigger one, the bigger the better, with sound-proofing in-between.

In case you think you might need a phone, need to break radio silence, have a second phone that's usually switched off, that has a removable battery. Off course switching on a phone that usually is off will raise a flag.
Do they still have payphones on the street?

Better use a phone without a sim or even better a tablet without any phone hardware.

That Nokia looks incredible. Stupid thread by the way.

maybe i should start using this phone again. the green backlight and blue text is so comfy too

Attached: P2030011.JPG (614x1321, 218.41K)

Dangit.

Attached: trashed.png (464x665, 206.92K)

Speaking of Librem 5:
LIBREM 5 NOW DELAYED TO "Q3", SOC REPLACED BY A NEWER AND BETER ONE
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Librem-5-Delayed-To-Q3
archive.vn/UiqfD

Ridiculous, i' going to build my own shit

Build your own phone. Single board computer. USB SIM reader. Add other parts. Build your own Linux. Maybe fork of Ubuntu phone. Meh. That or stop using your cell phone to set up drug deals.

I'm OK with delays being official. We all knew it would be pushed back anyway.
I just don't want a phone as laggy as that dev-kit demo. Try typing on that.

Did you seriously expect such a crowdfunded device to stay on schedule?

I'm also pissed at the price tbh, 650$ is outrageous.
I'm going to build my shit with a raspberry. It won't cost me 1/4 of it and will do just as good if not more.

But it still can connect to some network because even without sim card you can still call emergency

You now a lot of use Whatsup nowadays, and that's internet only. You can also call people with it, so I guess the solution would be an open-source Whatsup?

It’s called LinPhone dumbass!

Look it up!

If you plan on putting a SIM card in it it won't be private. Just buy Librem 5 or Pine64 Phone if you're a poorfag. If for some reason you NEED a SIM card then buy a portable 4G router.

That's only on newer phones and botnet phones. Galaxy S5 doesn't have this anti-feature, for example. Librem 5 will have a killswitch for basically everything so it's also safe.

No it isn't wrong but they rounded off a bit for the lack of data on such places (or the ISP and government lied about the census of such countries).
HSPA+ must be available for those places so the graph is at least pretty accurate. It was originally the first 4G draft and officially 3.5G but is 4G at its time but they quickly adopted newer less-expensive technology that is LTE which is officially 3.95G (not even 4G) and has really wide band ranges which lets it transmit at better speeds than its predecessor but HSPA+ is just as good as LTE. Not even most ISPs can provide maximum of 40-140Mbps of 4G and it's not worth the price. Then later they crowned it as the True 4G due to HSPA+ not reaching desired speeds for being a bandlet.

LTE is mostly used on developed cities and won't of course reach remote areas where they don't expect people using it like ethnic groups living at the edge of nowhere that doesn't even have hospital systems. Well you can reach 4G if you have a cantenna, parabolic/flat panel antenna.

3g dc is faster than the wired alternative in many places.

and wired network is getting dismantled anyway