WinRAR BTFO, remote execution from 19 year old exploit, extracting ACE archives

Other urls found in this thread:

winace.com/
web.archive.org/web/20170714193504/http://winace.com/
emerge.de
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where is Marcel Lemke (Check Point didn't mention nor contact him at all) currently?

wikipedia

>winace.com/
*meant to say upstream
the only place i can even find winace is adware/aids infested shareware sites

Maybe you can contact Fabian Greffrath for the whereabouts of the unace 2.5 source code in his computer.

There only seems to be an archive:
web.archive.org/web/20170714193504/http://winace.com/
which is so broken that you have to set height:100% to the so that you can view it.

emerge.de shows the same "under construction" message, so who knows.
The better question is: What happend to e-merge GmbH? Did they run out of license cash or are they restructuring?

Neither WinRAR nor 7zip have anything to do with ACE compression.
Misleading title.

I'm old enough to remember when buying WinRAR was a meme.

You won't find anyone who can't remember that.
Every YT-Video was like: Unpack it with WinRAR *buy WinRAR license window pops up*

>What happened to Marcel Lemke and e-merge GmbH?
ftfy

Some kraut help is appreciated.

not to mention the people who did compile that dll 13 years ago are clearly afk from the planet.

What will I do now if I want to extract an ACE file?
You're special.
Even PNG had a remote code execution vuln. Better to fix it than to say lol fug people who want to view PNGs! Let's remove all PNG support.

Phone fags don't know what rar files are, let alone any compression technology. Sadly, most people today are phone fags.

The irony is that they profit from compression the most with their 64GB (best case scenario, a few years ago they were like 4GB) internal flash drives.

The funny thing was that you could install apps onto sd cards back than on android 3.4 (I think it was 3.4). They removed that so people buy new phones with 10GB more whenever they run out of space.

they also removed it because android is a clusterfuck and would not load those apps properly in some cases

Backwards compatibility meme was a mistake.

Still not a reason to remove it. It's way more likely they removed it to sell more phones.

That's called a local exploit you faggots.

the worst is that they removed the "treat as mass storage" option for pc

OMG, I was never aware there were potential backdoors in Windows programs!

Attached: powerwindws.jpg (1600x2264, 590.82K)

I'm not a phone owner anymore, so i'm completely fine with phonefags going to hell.

Attached: Apple_Press_Conference.png (540x1063, 120.93K)

I haven't seen an ace file in two decades, who even still uses it?

you, after you open file named "something.rar" :^)

this

it makes me wonder what other proprietary software is using ancient dll's compiled from developers a decade ago that no-longer exist.

Reminder that zip files allow relative paths too.

You underestimate how shit android is.
Take linux, the turbo-shit OS for desktop with zero pressure to fix things, slap a ton of jewgle DRM on top, then half-ass the "stable" system APIs that you then proceed to deprecate anyways.

Linux desktop is pretty decent actually. I'm a miserable person who has to use both Linux and Windows daily so its really apparent to me that Linux is a blessing we don't deserve.

GNU/Linux
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

Can GNU run without Linux?
Can Linux run without GNU?

Yes.
Yes if you exclude the fact that Linux compiles with gcc only, a GNU product, otherwise no.

Yes
Yes

The point of the GNU/Linux name is to describe what you are actually using in practice. If your specific system uses Linux without GNU, then your system is not a GNU/Linux system. If your system uses Linux and the GNU OS, then your system is a GNU/Linux system.

personally, i use linux/systemd/busybox/lxde/gtk/qt5/firefox/xorg/gnome/fish/vlc/7z/cmake/aptitude/ffmpeg/mesa/dmenu/openssl/perl/python/sqlite/sudo/vim/w3m/pcmanfm/nomacs/feh/fltk/rust/imagemagick/ncurses/electron/gnu

GNU/Hurd.
Android.

Marketing-wise, just "Linux" is better because it's simpler. It's complicated enough for normies to understand the concept of distros.

It's nice of you to give credit to all of those projects, but it's not really necessary. Unlike the GNU project, they're not headed by autistic manchildren who throw temper tantrums in public and experience galactic asshurt for not getting "credit" because an upstart kernel forever thwarted their vision of a GNUtopia.

Let's call all OS Linux, because of normies and marketing.
Following your logic the name GNU is simpler than Linux, so let's call the whole system GNU, without Linux.

I see the name is tooo long for you. Just remove unnecessary crap. GNU was started before Linux, so now you're using GNU *:)*
Also

Go back to bed, Stallman.

based

LOL!
9base > gnu coreutils
GNU isn't even a functioning operating system and it already has coreutil replacements more then any other ever had.
A lot of these even perform better then GNU.

unix started before GNU so let's call it unix.

GNU is not Unix. That's the whole point of the name.

GNU is not Unix but Linux is a Unix-like OS. GNU developers are just self-claimed OS developers. But Linux developers are real OS developers.

Gnu developers have developed many third-party softwares for Linux as third-party developers. But there are many other third-party developers for Linux except Gnu.

*Linux is a Unix-like OS kernel program. GNU is an OS because it was designed to be an OS since day 1 of the project.

For GNU to use Unix, this is a very specific meaning. GNU does not use Unix at all. What specifically happens is that GNU is an implementation of Unix and the act of creating a new implementation is a different idea to using Unix.

I still have one of the original versions of WinRAR, have it on my Windows XP (which is currently only used offline for ripping media such as using DVD Shrink). I bet it has this vulnerability but luckily I haven't used it for a long while.

Just remove the .dll yourself, you'll never be able to open .ace files ever again but that's fine.

Has anybody actually ever bought WinRAR?

Of course. There still isn't a better archive manager on any OS. No matter how hard mouthbreathing *nix users screech about 7zip and other garbage software.

Wait, can this be used to open WinRAR file You can't normally access without password? I NEED TO KNOW BECAUSE REASONS

WinRAR 5.70 Final is out since a few days ago.

.zip files that only can be opened in 7-Zip complain back at you.

Or anything that is not WinRAR, and that has support for "modern" compression techniques.

nice non-arguments