Cars are Getting Even More Botnet

We already have Android, OnStar, and other botnets in our cars, but are you ready to step it up, Zig Forums? :^)

govtech.com/fs/Electronic-License-Plates-Available-in-Arizona-and-California.html

Attached: killme.jpeg (2048x1536, 436.62K)

root it and use whatever plate number you want

but can it handle a cold winter? looks like it would not.. also with cold i mean something like at least -20c

Pretty sure it will also get screen burn in.

Cars won't be very useful in the coming ice age.

Looks like another company is trying to mass collect data on people.

This user gets it

when passing road tolls

It's an E-Ink display. Can't.

If you live in those places and don't keep your car in a garage 24/7 the sun wears it down extremely fast. Just another $5-800 part to get replaced every 2 years.

Is it possible that if this gets popular E-Ink screens are going to get really cheap?

Just display the license number of a registered car instead of your own. This digital license plate thing was not thought out at all. License plates are useful for identification because they can't be easily changed. The plate itself that is

How long until the battery runs out?

which is why it was developed in partnership with DMV who would never be as smart as you to think about temperature, or how it could still work getting hit after an accident. *sigh*

It is based on a model of you owning your data & no one else. Vulnerabilities will need to be found to exploit data collection.

irrelevant.

Digital license plates like RPLATE are going to become standard. It already is accepted across multiple states and countries. Yes it is more botnet, sadly.

I misread cars as cats. You wouldn't own a botnet kitty, would you?

As soon as computers started controlling fuel and then regulations about how much pollution cars can produce, doomed cars being botnet-free from the beginning.

I can see this being useful for a criminal wanting to change his plates while on the run, which is completely useless for everyone else since most people don't change their plates often enough to justify a display. But if the point is to help criminals wouldn't it be better for everyone to do away with plates altogether?

Send Bitcoin
38gx3XrTTytpFbYJHyq5FVoQ1HTaF9Y4Gx

do they really change the numbers so often that this thing would be useful?

There's some reasonable arguments for it

lol

i dont believe that it could be used for ads tho. at least here the number has to be always visible so you cant suddenly start playing ads on it. maybe if its really big and has extra space for that but then it wont fit the standard plate mount thing in many cars

The tolls in my state use photo botnet to capture the plate number. With this Eplate I could have the numbers change.

If plates numbers could be assigned dynamically, say every time you start the vehicle, or at a regular interval, that would make it virtually impossible for anyone else except the government to track your vehicle using plate readers.

That might be desirable as organized crime gets their hands on the technology.

If your car is under 1m+ of water, you have bigger problems than your plate getting damaged.

California is communism.