Why is phone call quality still so shit?

We live in an age of high-speed and high-quality bandwidth being available nearly everywhere we turn, and yet call quality has not changed for the past 20 years. It still has the same shit sound quality as it did decades ago, and while every other aspect of mobile technology has been upgraded to or close to its logical extreme, the single most important task a phone should be able to perform gets left behind.

WHY?

Attached: The Phone Call that saved Greece.jpg (621x699, 50.45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.722
verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because your phone company is shit. Are you in the USA? Because that's the most likely explanation. Most other countries have actual 4G and/or VoLTE to give users good quality audio in their calls.

because the quality is good enough. and wen you increase the quality, you also increase the required bandwidth. why didn't you use the Q&A thread like a white man??

It's not so much the companies but the two primary networks we have here (CDMA and GSM, CDMAS doesn't really count as a separate network) are complete shit and haven't seen proper upgrades in years, it's all duct taped together. Hopefully 5G will be the generation when they decide to finally unfuck everything.

Attached: Anger Captcha.PNG (258x62, 18.12K)

I don't need an increase in quality in spam phone calls, which are all I get anyway.

The quality is absolutely not good enough when every phone call sounds like it's being slammed through a tin can with a string.

VoLTE
your ISP is shit, US I presume

i agree

Phones are only good for arranging meetings anyway. You aren't handing over a recorded form of all your conversations to Big Brother, are you?

I don't even understand why the telephony network is still a thing. Why not just slowly replace all the infrastructure with VOIP?

Verizon won't activate any phone that doesn't support VoLTE. Other providers are slowly starting to support it.

Just because it's "voip" doesn't mean it will sound good. At least the old PSTN has standards. With voip providers there are none.

Yeah but it has greater potential to sound good and you can always create a standard for VOIP

Because your phone is shit? Just compare a google voice/skype call today to a cell phone call 20 years ago. If you can't tell the difference you might want to consider getting your hearing checked out.

Phones, landlines anyways, 20 years ago _were_ better than today, though. The technology has actually regressed. VOIP is by and large garbage. A good analog network like we had for decades was superior as far as quality is concerned. It's amazing how bad a cell phone conversation is these days. Between the garbage speakers (blackberries had a stereo speaker that was actually decent, but most are trash), and the sub-par mics, combined with beyond awful compression, I hate making an old fashioned call these days. It's almost like (((they))) only want you to communicate thru the channels they have the most control over.........

Those services use the internet, I'm talking about actual phone calls using cellular services that still sound like dogshit despite having the full capability to sound just as good as Skike/Jewgle Voice

Even VOIP is generally awful. Skype/FaceTime/Google Voice all default to 8-32kbps GSM streams. Why not give me crystal clear 128KB Opus or AVC if I feel like burning the bandwidth and power?

has a point: Let there be options.

Don't forget the phone cases and screen protectors most retards put on their smartphones that cover the mic.

VoLTE to VoLTE sounds better then Jewgle or Skype typically. Most VoLTE implementations use some form of G.722
>en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.722
If the call hits the pstn then it gets transcoded to g.711.
G.711 is actually decent at carrying voice and it is what just about every landline phone switch used starting in the 1970s.
The cellular niggers ruined phone calls with their trash gsm and cdma codecs. At least VoLTE is a few steps in the right direction. It's just to bad most (((smartphones))) suck at being a phone. But hey,they got 9000 emojis now.

Attached: draper_colorized.jpg (261x252, 13.85K)

This is unix's fault

Oh you have no idea what you're talking about. Those two sound like they've been put through a vocoder.

The absolute state of nu/tech/

probably because its optimized for low bandwidth so it works on those old gsm networks or even modern networks if you have a bad signal

thats what happens when you switch from analog tech to digital. those analog things didnt have digital codecs and high compression like modern tech has so it sounded better. people just like putting computers everywhere because they can even if its not a good idea.

I want posers to leave

Attached: karen question.png (963x720, 598.34K)

Superior as far as quality if you don't use VoLTE even then it's a pain in the dick to scale and wasteful as shit

bunch of modulation and filters to encode and bandlimit the signal to fit multiple signals on one wire, demodulation introduces noise, plus actual dynamics compression.
I'd like to hear an actual engineers explanation.

Because it's a least common denominator technology. It's supposed to be the fallback when all else has failed.

idk what a volte is or does but i bet that its only supported by the latest $1000 phones so not very useful to someone with a dumbphone or just a old smartphone

Because the new technologies are not used to improve call quality, they are used to improve shareholder ROI. Analog cell sounded awesome, digital cell sounded shit from day 1 and still is about the same. 2G 3G 4G all sounds about the same. Better compression algo? Use it to cram more calls in, keep the call quality at the bare minimum that allows human speech to be understandable. More bands available? Same. Don't spend money on infrastructure and more towers to handle more calls at higher bandwidth, that's just a waste of shareholder funds! It's called capitalism, and it works most of the time, but sometimes companies consolidate into defacto monopolies or agree to monopolistic practices amongst competitors to increase revenue. That's when its time to give them the Bell treatment.

she is probably talking about the bandwidth. you don't need to have the full frequency range of human speech to have good enough quality.

Females are inferior to males. Only their holes are good for men. We can stick our penises in their mouths, pussies, and assholes.

Voice over LTE.
>verizonwireless.com/basic-phones/
All these dumb phones support it so you could the models on the VZN site as reference to find unlocked versions.

Boy do I have a pill for you.

They're removing the copper lines in my area, because they say they don't have enough landlines to keep the infrastructure supported. Copper lines are much clearer than the wireless shit; we are regressing.

Can't wait to get cooked by 5G.

not only clearer, but more importantly they are more reliable. for example old peoples alarms dont work sometimes and so on. landline works even when the power is out. it is a matter of public safety. they should keep the landlines until the mobile net is as reliable. but since when did politicians care about the rural areas? most voters live in the cities anyway.

Oy veeey goy, you want VoLTE? Don't you realize how expensive that is for us poor service providers? We can barely afford to role out LTE in most areas!

Because you somehow don't have VoLTE in 2019?

In the US and have had VoLTE for years even on some of the cheaper Android phones I've used. Maybe OP is on some shitty pre-paid plan or lives in the sticks

Someone's never used VoLTE or even VOIP in the last decade

Shut up, semen dispenser.

Call quality is reduced to just good enough because mobile devices need to save power wherever possible. Unfortunately, the morons designing apps don't care about battery life so there's no point to even lowering the call quality anymore.

lower data on each phone call saves glowniggers a lot of CPU cycles when filtering your calls for keywords.
Knowing the end points and basic voiceprint is enough to know who is speaking.
You know of Deep Fakes for video now, but did you know digital Deep Fakes for voice existed prior to 9/11?

sage for not posting OP in correct thread

Woman detected.
I'm not agreeing with
The average woman not being as clever as the average man isn't a flaw.
The flaw is that they've been lured into a position where that is expected.
Women are good at other things like being compassionate instead of being an emotional brick and talking etc., so they aren't prone to becoming shut-in neets.

this + you dont say "hello mom this is user Anonsson and im calling from..." you would just say "hi mom its me".

a/s/l?