Why is linux so stupid

That it lets a program steal 100+% of CPU usage just like that?

Attached: distros-1024x768.jpeg (1024x768, 127.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19493987
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1498257
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1490772
bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1512401
github.com/OneGet/oneget
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'd unironically love to use a Linux distribution with heavily regulated repository like Apple's App Store. There should be a form of quality assurance at least jesus christ.

Isn't this the role that things like Ananicy are supposed to fill? Why would you want a program ignoring part of your resources?

Sometimes Chrome works freaky on my Linux PC. But it never happened on my Windows. I think Linux version Chrome is more fucking than Windows'.

Seriously, of all the things you could complain about you pick this?

hahahahahaha

Unless you're willing to pay for it, that app store would have so few packages as to be useless..

its not the default but a properly configured system wont crash from any of those

Haiku doesn't have that issue.
Even with 200% CPU load it will run fine and just divide the noncritical runtime between applications.

works on my machine :^)

I think that's what elementary is trying to do
Never used it so not sure how good it actually is

Hey, another thread starting with
You sure are creative.

Attached: why_tech.png (1339x731, 349.75K)

Each package management system has its own quality control in place. APT for instance each package is signed by the package maintainer's cryptographic key.

Yum is the same.

But yes autists we should roll our own Linux.

Attached: autismgroyper.jpeg (788x738, 103.9K)

It uses systemd so obviously the standards are quite low.

Before lispfag gets here, I'll just tell you that its C and UNIX's fault.
And before you ask, there's no alternative based OS not because Ada, smalltalk, and lisp are badly designed, but rather the entire academic and business sector of technology are wrong. Read my usenet post.

How do I read your usenet post?

You are dumb. For the first 15-20 years of home computer they needed to be programmed in C or ASM for speed reasons. Now they are fast enough, with enough cores, that someone could try a higher level OS. C wasn't on the desktop in a big way until the mid 80s IIRC. There were Lisp machine from Symbolics too but that era ate all alternative machines because Moore's Law was running fast and symbolics couldn't keep up with hardware. The slow down in Moore's Law means that alternative systems are probably viable.

You sound like >>>/trannypol/
And that's the point where you should just end it, tranny.

Ah, so you KNOW that you're getting the OFFICIAL NSA subverted version of openSSH. Good to know.

Computers haven't been getting faster for the last 10 years.
Most problems are serial.
Single threaded performance is at the same spot it's been for a decade.
A thermal wall was hit and you can't even use the whole die at the same time.
There is _no_ way around this.

Every die shrink uses more power per gate as before.
It's over.

_OVER_

Too much leakage.

no

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

The first point that you need to note is that Whites were historically a great civilization. I don't deny that, after all, they controlled over 3/4 of the world at some point.
The second point that you need to note is that Asians are autistic bug-people with no empathy. No empathy = less societal progress since they let people die randomly despite their worth to society.
The third point that you need to acknowledge is that white people have lost any and all traits which made them a powerful and superior race. You NEET-Sock larpers take achievements from the last great men in NS Germany and attempt to make them your own. You haven't done shit. White people are 100% jew controlled, and this isn't because the jew is particularly powerful. This is because white people are emotionally weak. Why? Whites have been undergoing severe devolution over the past 100 years. The two jew-induced world wars killed off entire generations of strong, brave white men, and this has KILLED THE WHITE RACE. You pathetic Nig-Sock larpers need to understand this. There's no coming back from this.
White people are weak and pathetic. They have lost 100% of what made them great through a jewish dysgenics program, and while this is unfortunate, it is also irreversible. So forget about it.
Hapas, more specifically White/Asian hapas, are the new ubermensch, so to speak. We are superior to both whites and asians since the properties of both races are polar opposites, yet meet in the middle to form an optimal combination. Whites are too cucked and have too much empathy, so much so that they feel excessive empathy to subhuman races like niggers, jews and arabs.
On the opposite side of the scale, asians have too little empathy, being perfectly content to watch their fellow countrymen run over by trucks, poisoned by fake food products, gassed by the very air in their cities, and executed by their own government for petty reasons.
These two qualities are, as I mentioned, polar opposites, and neither are beneficial to the well-being of society. Hapas possess something in the middle of these polar opposites. We are much more racist than white people. And at the same time, we have empathy towards each other. Our women are far less slutty than white roasties, contrary to /poo/ disinformation - white men prefer white or asian women, not hapas. I know this not only due to theoretical knowledge but due to actual life experience talking to others of my own kind. We only require the tiniest push to fully support anti-nigger, anti-shitskin and anti-kike ideology, whereas whites never go all the way. Whites can only become magakikes, or anti-illegal-immigrants at the ABSOLUTE best.
Hapas are small in number at the moment but with further degeneration of the white race, racemixing between whites and asians will become more frequent. Hapas will rise from the ashes of the white race and inherit the world.
It is often stated by Nig-Socks that racemixing is evil and bad because "the product of racemixing contains neither of the desirable qualities of the two parent races". This may be true under ideal conditions, but Whites and Asians don't have any desirable qualities by themselves. The races have been degenerated by decades of communist (i.e. jewish) dysgenics (in the case of asians) or decades of war-induced jewish dysgenics (in the case of whites). As such, the ordinary Zig Forums theory no longer applies. Neither of the parent races, whites or asians, actually are suited to their environment. They also happen to have polar opposite qualities, which conflict with the goal of societal stability. This is why hapas are not inferior, but superior to both races.
Note that what I said only applies to White/Asian hapas. Any mixtures containing shitskin or nigger genetics is just as bad as the shitskin or nigger genetics would be by themselves, since shitskins and niggers were never a part of great civilization.

Then use a distro backed by a corporation like Fedora or Open Pepe

No. Most are parallel.

Well with windows you can make a batch file that keeps opening command prompt windows until the system crashes.

:^)

until then nothing was big
Guess what? They are but we're talking about CPU architectures and going more RISC and SCALING OUT which is the exact opposite of what you want.
see pic

This.

Attached: your turn.gif (2034x1491, 48.19K)

Also want to add that the kike banker programmers and school teachers love Java, COBOL etc.
By now they probably fell in love with Rust.

Whatever happened to the blazing fast diamond and/or graphene processors we were promised? You know, the ones that could "run at temperatures that would liquefy silicon."

what is rlmit
use better software. Every platform has the issue that out of control memory leaks cause thrashing.
use better software.

based, and true. Domain Specific Cores are listed as the future of performance computing in the Computer Architecture a Quantitative Approach.

Only because parallel problems are Cartesian products of serial problems. But, pragmatically, real life disagrees with you. Look at computing resources: single threaded cpu performance is critical, meanwhile, many machines don't even have a GPU.

Read a computer architecture book. Domain Specific cores are the future of performance because of the end of denard scaling.

dont use chrome. im using qutebrowser and firefox is good too although its basically botnet now

or use *chromium*

Then just make a list of debian packages that you personally approve.

Attached: cloveros.webm (1024x768, 15.71M)

Attached: 0df7907cb74508f175adac1299a5f887717ca6e963ba2647ba8640984641f253.jpg (640x775, 103.64K)

Linus chases off competent programmers who know the hardware architecture forwards-to-back like PaxTeam and Spengler.

This is just how linux is. Nobody uses it so nobody cares. Just typing this and looking at my fucking font is a big enough joke let alone the fact that xterm is rendering some bizarro version of terminus because why not.

hey why's this thread anchored?

There are like 5 different kernel schedulers and none of them will let a process grab 100% of the CPU unless you specifically raise a process's nice value to -20.

Linux is technically doing what you want when it lets you run a program that fork bombs. It's not making a distinction of who the author is- whether the batch file is self-written or downloaded from elsewhere.

oh I must be wrong then. Thanks I guess there are no problems.

you're sitting in a pile of pre-cut wood with pre-drilled nail holes alongside boxes of nails, and you have not just powertools but a dozen essays waiting for your command.
And instead of giving them a command, you want to know WHY THERE ISN'T A TREEHOUSE BUILT IN THIS BACKYARD

UNIX sucks too much for its intended purpose as a multiuser OS, but it sucks even for single user PCs. A bad program in a preemptive multitasking environment is never supposed to lock up the entire computer. That goes against 60 years of computer science and OS design principles. A mainframe OS would never "work" that way because it means someone halfway around the world can bring down the entire computer and cause hundreds or even thousands of other users to lose whatever they were doing. UNIX shills were able to push their shitty "OS" onto unsuspecting DOS users who were used to a single bad program bringing down the entire machine.

What happened was that "the entire academic and business sector of technology" shrunk. UNIX weenies were a tiny minority and most of their "practices" were considered brain damage by the rest of the world. There were hundreds of different operating systems and a lot of real research and new innovation going on. All of that has been redirected towards "fixing" C, UNIX, Java, the web, and other bullshit that is too broken to fix. The spread of UNIX languages has spread the brain damage into academia and computer companies.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19493987
>The worst part is that Firefox tried to change the error message it throws to include the "bar" piece of information, and that had to be reverted because it broke sites that were parsing the exception message with regexps. :( See bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1498257 for the gory details, though it was not the only site affected: see also bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1490772 (fixed by site author) and bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1512401 (fixed by the backout).
The UNIX way of parsing text instead of using error codes or error objects is an example of how brain damage can hinder fixing bugs. Firefox can't even improve error messages, which are technically intended to be read by the user of the web page.

Home computers lag behind mainframes and minicomputers, but that doesn't mean x86 should not be allowed to be used the way it was meant to be (rings and segments) or that better systems should become worse to accommodate C and UNIX. OSes written in higher level languages were around since the early 60s. Operating systems written in garbage collected languages were around in the 70s and 80s.

That's severely understating it. A PC from the 80s had more RAM than some of these machines. A browser could have dozens of tabs that emulate Windows on x86 emulators written in JavaScript that emulate these higher level operating systems faster (in MIPS) than the original computers that supported dozens or even thousands of simultaneous users. The amount of raw computing power is insane, but you can still completely lock up the mouse and keyboard for over a half hour just by opening the wrong tab in a browser. It's a problem with software architecture and bad programming.

You left out the worst offender of them all - IBM. TheRS-6000 may crank out 27 MIPS, but it can't context switchor handle interrupts worth sh*t. You can lower machineperformance to the point of unusability by FTPing a filefrom another machine on the same ethernet segment! Next time get a chance to play with an RS-6000, trythis: Pop about a dozen xterms, iconify them, put the iconsin a row, and wave the pointer back and forth over them asfast as you can. Astounding, no? The highlighting on theicons will keep bouncing back and forth long after you stopwaving the pointer. My personal record is 20 seconds.Makes a Sun-2 running display Postscript seem astoundinglyfast. RS-6000s also have an annoying tendency to "lock up" fora few seconds (5 < x < 15) and then return to normal - I'mtold that this is normal and due to paging activity. Themicrochannel card cage design is pretty bad too - sure, youcan put cards in, but God help you if you have to take themback out! And you better tighten down the retaining screwsall the way... or the first time you look at the card funnyit will pop out. To its credit, I must say it compiles GNU Emacs fasterthan any other machine I've used, but I do more with aworkstation than just run compiles. And, if you thinkUltrix is bad, it's only because you haven't tried AIX.

The art of being a weenix.

install ubuntu or some shit that panders to retards like you. some retarded """App""" made by a get-rich-quick boomer who read a few tutorials on "how to code PHP^WRuby^wPython^wVB^WVB6^wVB.NET^WASP^WC#^WObjecvtive C^WSwift" isn't any better than some UNIX-larp software package

and so does allocating a bunch of data. skidd

based

Never happend anymore. IE might crash often or freeze up however that does not lock up the keyboard or mouse. Furthermore I don't use IE.
A supercomputer from the 80s didn't have shit in comparision to my current 3GHz quad core 8GB DDR RAM PC. You're full of shit. Stop posting your garbage everywhere I go!

*happens

Hello Jesus :3 it's ya desu uWu

I love these posts.

Why hasn't Microshit ever adopted package management outside of Windows Update and their glownigger crap store?
That way third party trojan devs wouldn't have to include some VC+DirectX runtime in their bloated botnet installers and Macrosoy could censor undesired software with a hardcoded repo blacklist in its package manager.

Attached: nagatoro_the_implier.PNG (353x395, 146.7K)

kek

Use forks though.

There is also the WinSxS folder which up to Win7 and maybe even beyond could grow infinitely.
I saw one with hundreds of GBs of libs inside because Windows has no idea what it still needs.

There is already the snake oil industry to provide censorship of unwanted Software. Like warning that Tor and Bitcoin are riskware.
And M$ has been using checksums for a long time to see if you have illegal files on your machine.

Attached: microsoftantispyware.png (751x554, 65.23K)

And how do you propose doing this without capping a program's memory use or capping a user's maximum processes (both of which Linux can already do)? Can you explain this without waving your hands around and telling us to just trust you because we'll never to use these mainfraime operating systems?
There are plenty of non-Unix hobbyist OSes out there. Is there a reason beyond "they're unix weenies too" why they don't use x86 the so-called proper way?

The only good package manager in Windows is chocolatey.
If you've ever used Ninite after wiping a borked windows Install, it's like that but 10 thousand times better
choco install -y vlc,putty,firefox,
and BAM, you got your shit back. Easy to update them too.

Attached: choco.png (242x136, 16.16K)

MS was/is doing this thing OneGet which is a "package manager manager", which means it's a wrapper for other package managers with a standard interface.
The idea being that you can have multiple repos, multiple package formats, etc. but wrapped to be one.
So you could install packages like
`pkg install pkg-from-pip pkg-from-vcpkg pkg-from-nuget- pkg-local-repo-pshell`
And that would invoke, pip, vcpkg, nuget, and a local file install. I like the concept but they stopped putting focus on it.
github.com/OneGet/oneget
It does ship with Windows though, so you could bootstrap with it to install the sub-package managers and then invoke them all in a standard, scriptable way.

Since it's powershell you can probably even do witchcraft with UWP/store packages in addition to things like MSYS2's pacman, scoop, chocolatey, etc.

I tested a fork bomb on my Android (Samsung) phone, first stock Samsung ROM and Lineage after flashing. I then used it on an out-of-the-box Ubuntu Server 16.04.

a "package manager" instead of getting your apps yourself
you really are solving problems you yourself created there

yes it did that (confirmed by htop)

I don't see the sense in it if you can have the alternative.
I want automatically tested software, that is managable. Meaning updatable on demand, capable of locking versions, etc. In a standard interface, with a reliable problem resolver / dependency manager/fetcher.

Sane package management exist, but I think the tools are not very popular.

I smell some satanic fuckery here.

I love visiting the Chans! You can get so many diverse opinions.

Good idea user, but don't you think that idea is a bit too Jewish?

And now for tonight's loser...
This idiot!

Give a round of applause please!
In all seriousness, shit like this is what it makes me love it more, because idiots like you keep doing bold stupid claims.

Stop using bad programs that ask for 100+% of your CPU usage

I don't even like Linux, but Windows does this too. I've worked on processing software that just cranked all cores to 100% for the entire duration of the workload and the PC was literally unusable until it finished.

What is your point?

when is gimp going to make the switch to qt already? gnome developers are literally retarded

look up isolcpus you faggot. Bet Windows doesn't have that feature.

Attached: download (1).png (267x92, 9.99K)

Just use Krita you dummy. KDE is the solution.

at least your ram isnt at 100% with nothing opened.

Did you know that GTK originally came from expanding the original Gimp toolkit? The reason why GTK and Gnome exists is because Gimp had a usable GUI platform for the developers to start using and expanding. This history explains why the Gimp team will have no motivation to change their toolkit.

There is good news about Gimp is that Gimp is now managed by the powerful GEGL system that was originally developed for Gimp. This is intended to be a general library for any kind of image processing system and isn't intended exclusively for Gimp. This means applications like GEGL and Mypaint are welcome to make use of GEGL technology and therefore, they can easily replicate various Gimp features.

bye.