Linux file managers

Why do all of them suck ass?
Seriously they're worse than fucking windows explorer.
How is that even possible?!

Is ranger any good or just a broken meme?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (2031x1063, 156.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

invidio.us/watch?v=8l4YVttibiI
invidio.us/watch?v=7jZdul2fC94
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNU_Emacs
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

whats wrong with dolphin

no image previews

vifm is pretty good, ranger is bloated but werks, thunar is comfy

Yes, it does: In the main menu under View, check Preview

Attached: Screenshot_20190226_212514.png (1011x666, 292.33K)

that looks fucking awful how can you possibly defend that?

What's with all the wasted space?

M-x image-dired

Ranger is dank

yeah it does have one. The default theme doesnt look as fucked up like this one

spacefm

You are using PHP.

There's lots of nice file managers that can do a lot more than anything in Windows can. The real question is why do all the file choosers suck absolute fucking donkey balls?

huh...
You learn something new every day.
Thanks, user!

Massive filenames plus an alignment fetish.

there is nothing wrong with windows explorer

ranger is great but it's terminal so in the end it's pointless.
Might aswell just do all file management through shell at that point

wut?

It's because of the fuck-long file names. I don't use that folder in this view anyway, I just needed something for a screenshot.

It's unironically one of the best file managers.

no tabs

Meh I'm using nemo and its fine except no bulk rename feature. Sure the program I use to rename gives me more features but I do miss the quick and easy rename in windows.

Also would love to be able to tag files like in mac

OP is right. This file manager is lousy.
Compared to Windows Explorer (ultimate trash test):

Thunar, PCmanFM, Midnight Commander and Emacs (dired) are comfy.

Install GNU/Emacs
Press and hold the meta-key (usually Alt) and press x. Let go of the meta-key. Type image-dired. Press enter. (optional) press and hold C (Control-key) and press h. Let go of the control-key. Press m.
For more info on how to use Emacs, type C-h t

Ranger is actually really good. Much better than any of the GUI file managers.
I thought it was just a meme but it really works well.

Attached: 1499756691279.jpg (800x800, 116.64K)

but it's slow like a turtle :/

What do you mean? I haven't noticed it being slow.

why even use a file manager if you are going to use one that requires keyboard use

really fast to look into dirs instead of doing ls dirname ten times in a row
really fast ways to switch to certain places in your system

you can also use the mouse in ranger

lol nope

Attached: 1485972649.jpg (909x720, 32.66K)

hows it faster than ls and tab complete

see invidio.us/watch?v=8l4YVttibiI or invidio.us/watch?v=7jZdul2fC94

How is noice or its fork, nnn?

Attached: nnn_file_manager.jpg (1280x702, 131.64K)

Attached: 12346891931.jpg (370x194, 11.56K)

Pajeets are actually cheap and good coders.

I just use cd and ls, file managers are bloat.

this unironically

SpaceFM and my shell are what I use for file management.

The only complaint I've had with PCmanFM is that I can't split the sidebar to have the Places list in the upper part and the directory tree in the lower.
Or at least include connected drives at the top level like other file managers (e.g. Thunar) do, without making me delve into /media every time.

kys

ls lists files and directories with colours to signify what they are, it is also able to tell you the size and permissions of a single or multiple files.
cd just changes the current directory but it just werks.
What makes you so angry user?

Attached: 1531046780681.jpg (1920x1080, 274.16K)

sure sounds comfy

Attached: 172890712974.jpg (1280x720, 92.48K)

This but also lsix for terminal thumbnail support.

btfo i hope you're not a zshnigger

the cd is not really needed there

Are there any good file managers regarding file selection? One thing I liked about Explorer was proper previews, and you could open the folder in a separate window outside of the File Select menu. (For example, if my folder selection was in C:\shit\fuck on Windows, I could just open that in a separate window, but in nemo on Linux, if my folder selection is in /media/shit/fuck/whatever I have to browse to it manually.)

most file managers have tabs and you can open a directory in a new tab just like you would in a web browser

I'm not sure exactly what you want but emacs can likely do it

You were so bored with yourself that you made a thread complaining about your file manager. Get over it. This is the path you chose. This is not Windows anymore. Make your own file manager then (if you can.)

Attached: dont call it a grave.gif (606x423, 466.96K)

All good and well but cli filemanagers still suffer when it comes to integration with say browsers that will often start using their shitty stock filepickers

As someone who actually uses Windows at work, you are full of shit. Windows Explorer is completely useless dogshit, even the worst linux file manager is ten times better.

this tbh

Because you didn't bother to change the config?

I like ranger to browse files. But I prefer mc to actually manage, move/copy them.

Why do freetards always do this?

masochism

Come on, no mention of Thunar?

Attached: Thunar-1.6.2.png (898x541, 75.71K)

Honestly it's a gem in an otherwise really shitty OS. Other than no tabs, it's almost perfect.

but there is. become a little bit whiter before posting here, nigger.

OP was asking for GOOD filemanagers...

That's the problem with Linux file managers. How do you auto-trim file names in each fm so that the icons are fucking consistent?

i used it before i switched to pcmanfm. it had some stability issues so i had to find something else.

What the hell is a "Linux file manager"? Most if not all of the software mentioned in this thread will happily compile and run on other Unix like platforms such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD, DragonflyBSD, NetBSD, GNU Hurd / Mach, OSX / Darwin / XNU / Mach + FreeBSD, Cygwin, et cetera.

The fucking madman

Hmm I feel that I should give guy emacs a try but something deep inside of me doesn't want me to compile emacs with X support.

Especially now that there's a native dark theme that isn't complete trash like the high contrast themes. It's also nice being able to play media files and preview literally everything straight from the file manager.

But Emacs is even better with X11 support, even if you don't want to touch the tool-bars (yeah, disable the menu-bar-mode and the tool-bar-mode) A white person compiles GNU Emacs with X and motif or Athena + Xaw3d that's how a white text editor is compiled (see wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNU_Emacs for details. I personally prefer motif.)

Attached: rmsrainpepper.jpg (507x800, 78.24K)

Nemo does everything I need, it's more or less perfect

Literally the worst part of XFCE

There is literally nothing faster or better to quickly open a shell in your desired directory

Attached: 704e40423561fa8932700fb6829e2bf076a3e63c5fae23f3b5becd333ce95ab1.png (724x984, 325.78K)

lol no

lol yes

eh that's still a lol no from me

I managed to cut 2 lines of greentext, checkmate.

I think the more relevant question is, what kind of faggot needs special software to manage his files?

what kind of faggot needs a computer?

damn, my terminal that runs ranger or mc is "native dark" too.
But the explorer was good in older versions of windows. In 10 it kinda sucks because of libraries.
When you go upwards from any "special" directory, you end up at some virtual folder like my computer, libraries or something like that, not the physical parent directory. You get rid of this by using this ends up being pure chaos once you have directories expanded in the tree. Some directories are in the tree twice when you have a habit of making shortcuts (for quick access in open/save dialogs) and the directories change from the navigation in the right pane. You can turn some of this tree behaviour off but then it becomes even more useless.
Windows 7, I think, had that too in a less extreme way.

To be completely fair, Dolphin a terminal panel that is synchronized with the graphical view. changing directories with the terminal changes directories in the file view, and vise versa.

xfe is good.

lol no

PCmanFM
Not perfect but at least the layout is consistent, thumbnails aren't 12 different shapes, and no dumb shadows either.

Did they ever finish that bug in PCManFM where the "open directory in terminal" shortcut doesn't work if you have any spaces in the pathway?

delete this

Install SpaceFM.

Ranger is good, nnn is good, pcmanfm is good, spacefm is good
What are your complaints btw?

Unlike vim, emacs can do a lot of cool stuff in the gui version. You can display images and pdfs and such very well. There's a matrix client for emacs you can get and it displays pics people post in the chat perfectly. Also do a comparison of M-x tetris in the terminal and in the gui. The terminal ones look misshapen and it's hard to tell where blocks will fall. Gui looks as you'd expect. I've played vitetris which looks fine in terminal, so not sure why the emacs tetris doesn't.

# My favorite ranger features:
- highlight and then run :bulkrename to rename multiple files/directories in vim. Super fast to add the same text to multiple lines and make other fixes. Good for fixing up album dir names in a music folder.
- it has a copy mode where you add a file to a list, this is amazing because you can select things all over the file system at different depths and then go paste the whole list of files to one spot. Good for grabbing specific songs or books from organized directories to put in one spot to give to someone.

Was testing if markdown worked... it didn't.

Attached: 1490833623179.jpg (367x375, 44.26K)

Lurk moar so you don't embarrass yourself. Also, pic related.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1000x1000, 278.45K)

$$/color{orange}{faggots}$$

$$\color{orange}{faggot oompa loompa}$$

$$\color{pink}{pinktext}$$

I hate you.

ranger is good, not very convient compared to mouse, gui ones tho

SpaceFM

no

ls & cd is all that is needed for a 'file manager', any thing more like image previews etc. then caja or PCmanFM are pretty decent

The command line is a terrible file manager.

alias cp="cp -i" mv="mv -i"
function open(){ while [ $# -gt 0 ]; do case `file -L -b --mime-type $1` in text/*) vim $1;; image/*) feh $1;; inode/directory) cd $1; ls;; ... */*) echo ukn: $1;; esac shift done}
Faster than nautilus too.

You can configure the maximum lines you fuckos

Attached: Screenshot_20190330_211810.png (1920x1080, 1.22M)

Pressing F4

Attached: compressed_snapshot22.jpg (1095x686, 61.29K)