PowerPC?

What machine do you use, and what operating system is it running? I have Debian 8 Sid installed on my 15" PowerBook G4, and it's great.

Pic related

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-03-01 10-12-12.png (658x463, 65.41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
crowdsupply.com/libre-risc-v/m-class
h-node.org/
twitter.com/WingarScarlett/status/1103421202310164480
everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_g5/differences-between-original-imac-g5-models.html
everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_g5/differences-between-imac-g5-ambient-light-sensor.html
everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_g5/differences-between-imac-g5-isight-models.html
macworld.com/article/1039594/schoolmacs.html
nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/
jmicron.com/product0206.html
ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G5
github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/README.md
archive.is/Nxntw
raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

OS is just a tool, you retard.

Into the trash

Is the user with the Talos still here? I might have some money soon, considering getting a server

Talos is shit. Better buy a few EOMA68 cards and make a cluster.
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
Main dev is in touch with a company, that wants to make a rack with these cards. Also he develops Libre Risc-V processor that will eventually power EOMA68 compilant card too.

Don't buy a powerpc computer, IBM is a patent troll and botnet.

This post just made me want to but a talos even harder, if they enrage autists they must be doing something right

What? You mean buy, or wtf?

OP just a Apple yourself!

We're talking about desktops here. Not phone games. Now leave.

Stop shilling overpriced Talos systems. Their price/performance is just laughable.

Let's talk about real alternatives:
* Elbrus from Russia
* Longsoon from China
* MIPS
* Spark
When will they make a competitive commercial one?

anything that is not x86/arm will be expensive

Of course there are high entry costs but with some state funding that could be bridged.

Tbh EOMA68-A20 card has more RAM than OP's PowerBook G4 and it is suitable for desktops and laptops. Also OP didn't mentioned that we're talking about desktops, he just said "What machine do you use".
You better stop shilling botnet.

Didn't mention*

It's a god damn ARM A20 btw and you can't add or remove RAM, nor does it have a single fucking PCIe slot to attach a GPU so I can connect my 3 monitors.
It's a fucking SoC not a desktop computer.

Only when we get an alternative to OpenBSD's pozz.

The user with the 2x18 core Talos with 256GB RAM here. Waiting for my Blackbird.

If you're in Europe there have been some Tyan POWER8 10-core rack mount servers up for sale on ebay for around 300 EUR each. No RAM or disk but still great systems for the price. Looks like they are out of stock right now but the seller has been putting them for sale in batches so there'll likely be more once he gets back next week.

I don't live in nor like the USA

PCIe and ATX are bloat. Why would you connect a proprietary GPU or extension card to your computer? If your intentions aren't to have computer system you can control, why would you use non-x86 system? Are you a botnet lover?

That's not a bad deal. For once I wish I was a Eurofag

poz?

PPC Mac mini and G4 PB. I run NetBSD8 on both.

The CPU situation is total shit right now.
Intel failed to deliver hexchannel RAM outside of render farms, ARM on the desktop is just novelty repackaging of cell-phone shit, and Talos/Blackbird were obviously designed by someone who has never built an efficient high-performance computer. Hows that RAM/core-count working out? Oh you want a dual-socket mobo? Yeah, that costs as much as the highest-end CPU available.
Meanwhile the GPU game is also total shit. Look at nVidia: their highest-end consumer GPU is equipped with RTX *and* tensor cores. Lots of people want one or the other, but who the fuck wants *both* of those? Oh hey lemme spin down my TensowFlow, it's time for some Battlefield V.
Yeah I dunno. It's a fuckin weird time in hardware right now.

Sent from my iPhone

Rasberry Pi 3B+ has a quad core 1.4GHz CPU and costs 35 bucks.
Why would I buy your shitPi in a fancy metal case?

We'd need to build one processor for both graphics and normal calculation with many many countless cores who only know the very basics. It would be an infinitly scale-able endgame.

I'm planning on piecing together a new workstation soon. I know Intel and AMD are botnet, but I want something that can do some heavy lifting. What should I get? Also are dual socket boards something to seriously consider?

A talos if you have to network it, an amd system if you can airgap it

ATi's finest hour. Funny how Apple marketing at the time was shitting on Intel integrated GPUs.

There's those Syshem76 machines that are marketed as "open source hardware", still uses x86 though. If you can get away with it definitely get a Talos

Raspberry Pi uses nonfree software to boot, EOMA68-A20 works fine without it. It is almost completely libre, including hardware schematics. Mali GPU driver is the problem, but it is not included at all and in the mean time there are reverse engenieering efforts, to replace Mali with Lima (free software diver). The creator of EOMA68 builds also his own, Risc-V based processor and GPU/VPU, that'll be completely libre.

I don't get it. Why do you use different than x86 processor, if it or company producing it is a botnet anyway?

So is the Pi.

A nonfree bootloader and GPU is much more worse than just a nonfree GPU you can disable.
EOMA68-Libre-Risc-V will be completely libre though.

Oryx Pro 4, Pop!_OS

With those awesome graphics what use cases would your EOMA fit that can't be completed in a more efficient manner?
I'm not shilling for this ARM shit. I think using a cellphone architecture for more than an office suit is a tiny bit stupid.
Are you sure your dual-core 1GHz ARMshit can even decode H264 10bit anime while running a wayland based compositor?

GPGPU offload with DMA between proccessor, GPU, and ram the entire time for a custom ASIC like function running on the GPU. You can't do that if you don't have assembler level access to the GPU instead of a abstracted chinkshit layer you get with AMD, newer intel, and newer nvidia shit. Sure you could use older cards and do the same with enough effort, but why not just customize everything hardware wise for better security at that point since you remain in control?
Don't use ARMshit you moron its fucking botnet. Use the libre risc-v proccessor when it comes out. I'm not even the same poster you have been replying too and you fail to see the benefits of FOSS and libre software and hardware.

Thanks. I'll start looking into Talos. How can System76 say open source hardware while using x86? Isn't that false advertising? Or are they talking about other hardware components?

are there any free gpus? the computer wont really be very useful if you have no way to see what you are doing on it. all the gpus i know require proprietary drivers/blobs/firmware to work

Don't know who you're replying to, but I am buying EOMA68, just to support the standard and the guy, who creates libre risc-v. EOMA68-A20 is fine, because it is going to receive RYF certificate - it can work with only free software from the ground. Even the creator of EOMA68 knows, ARM is botnet, and he isn't going to support it for a long time. He just uses the cheapest and the most free-software-friendly SOC on the market.

crowdsupply.com/libre-risc-v/m-class

anything that i can buy right now? even some really old pci card is fine.. i just want to know if any such thing exists

Check on h-node, it's repository of hardware, that works with free software.
h-node.org/

Any GPU supported by the r300 ATI driver for linux. Any gpu pre 900 GTX series for nvidia via nouveau on linux. Any pre skylake intel GPU with varying drivers. Slap a pci-e/pci slot and controller on the board and one of those GPU's and you are ready to go.

Things of note is that the hardware for those GPU's is not documented/libre. So if you wanted to make one yourself you are SOL. Another thing is that the PCI/e bus must support the electrical requirements for the GPU or your going to be frying some stuff. That and you can only use FOSS/libre drivers for them if you stick them in a OS with something like RISC-V or powerpc as the main proccessor. Also I am not aware of any open source designs for a PCI/E controller, the bus specification you can find on wikipedia though.

Actually I just remembered the talos 2 has pci-e slots so it surely has a open source controller too. You will have to dig into their documents to find it out though.

Talos II doesn't have a pcie controller/switch on the board - all of the slots are connected to the CPU(s) directly

He think he meant FreeBSD

Watch out for the power delivery though, part of the power supply is on the mainboard and has bad caps:
twitter.com/WingarScarlett/status/1103421202310164480

The case and an IO board is what the claim as open hardware. To me that's like selling a lollipop and only doing quality control on the stick and the wrapper.

AFAIK, Sys76 doesn't even run coreboot; though they may use me_cleaner now? I forget.

Yup, PCIe goes directly to the CPU.

I remember reading somewhere that the CPU is limited to 6 endpoints. You can see from the diagram why that becomes a problem with the single socket variants:
1. x16 slot
2. x8 slot
3. storage controller
4. USB controller
5. NIC
6. BMC (also acts as 2D GPU)

Attached: T2P9D01-block-diag.png (1359x1039, 94.47K)

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Reposting here because I'm about to get buried in the support thread. And our old ppc thread is gone.
I have a iMac g5 that I don't have the case or screen to but would want to power up via an adapter to another monitor. I don't have the case so when I hit the power button it doesn't do anything. Does anyone know what I would need to do to get it to power up? I'm thinking of putting it in a old oversized compaq pc case I have from the 90's. On this note is it possible to replace the power supply with something else more convenient so that I can use the power button inside the Compaq case as the way to power it on. Or how to replicate the back panel so I can power it up.

Any idea which version you have?
Everymac splits it into
1st gen - original
2nd gen - Ambient Light Sensor (ALS)
3rd gen - iSight

With comparison pages here:
everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_g5/differences-between-original-imac-g5-models.html
everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_g5/differences-between-imac-g5-ambient-light-sensor.html
everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/faq_g5/differences-between-imac-g5-isight-models.html

Note that you could also have the stripped down 1st gen model that was made for schools:
macworld.com/article/1039594/schoolmacs.html
Everymac doesn't mention this variant

You can always solder a different PSU in. It's probably a jumper somewhere that the case would've had a header for that needs to be set. As for the monitor, figure out if the panel was analog or digital, then slap a new one in.

Clown world honk honk

Attached: yeet.png (2112x1782 67.72 KB, 488.66K)

Here's a magic decoder ring:
Model A1058 (EMC 1989) - PowerMac8,1 - 1st Gen 17" (configs: M9248LL/A, M9249LL/A)Model A1058 (EMC 2055) - PowerMac8,2 - 2nd Gen 17" (configs: M9843LL/A, M9844LL/A)Model A1076 (EMC 2008) - PowerMac8,1 - 1st Gen 20" (configs: M9250LL/A)Model A1076 (EMC 2056) - PowerMac8,2 - 2nd Gen 20" (configs: M9845LL/A)Model A1144 (EMC 2081) - PowerMac12,1 - 3rd Gen 17" (configs: MA063LL/A)Model A1145 (EMC 2082) - PowerMac12,1 - 3rd Gen 20" (configs: MA064LL/A)

I have Power Mac G5 dual-core 2.3GHz and I've tried to install linux on it many times. Mostly debian or gentoo. I can't run X because stupid graphics card nouveau problems, it just won't work. Basically the machine is useless for me at the moment, I could run some server on it but there's no point since the performance is very poor.

just a normal computer. everything else is too expensive or hard to get

its not an alternative if it does not even exist

Stop trying to use composite graphics and install a proper WM that isn't full of bloat.

So, you have a 1st gen with a 5200 Ultra, right?

That should be codename NV34;
so NV30 in the feature matrix: nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/FeatureMatrix/
and VPE2 in the video accel matrix: nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoAcceleration/

all in all, support doesn't look that bad; maybe there's an endian-ness problem?

Some idiot might have written driver code assuming that only Little Endian exists.

I've been doing some looking around, and I don't see anything about a secret switch for case-is-open or missing-display.
I have seen mention of PSU and capacitor issues, are you sure it's a case problem? If so how?
Could you include pictures so we can see the board in question?

the real bloat is x itself not the tiny wms

The real bloat is your ass because you're fat.

ok. you can now go back to /g/ or reddit with those boring memes.

Why don't I just go back into your ass? That's where I got them from.

Have you used the FireWire/IEEE1394a much?
It was pretty much the Thunderbolt of the 90s; even had daisy-chaining IIRC.

No I haven't but I have the kernel drivers installed so I could use it if I wanted to.

Got the SSD adapter for my IDE drive in the Mac Mini, M.2 SATA SSD to IDE because sure why not. Pulls about 171MB/s with 16k blocksizes

Attached: IMG_20190409_171631.jpg (4640x3480, 3.81M)

nice.

Looks pretty simple,
JM20330 - SATA bridge
HS1084S2-3.3 is a voltage regulator (I think)

Doesn't look like JMicron sells the JM20330 anymore, the current equivalent would probably be a JMH330/S
jmicron.com/product0206.html

I figured out the power issue, I just use a penny and a rubber glove to press the pinbutton down so I complete the circuit and it powers up. Now I just have to figure out how to get the display port working since I've plugged it into several different monitors but nothing. It boots up, I hear the *dong but it doesn't output a signal signal. I'm going to try an adapter of usb to hdmi next and see how that goes.
Does anyone know if its possible to use a non-apple power supply with this machine? Because I intend to eventually migrate it into the Compaq case at some point so I'm not using pennies as power buttons.

Can you take some pictures? of the pinbutton, PSU.

Might also help to see what kind of wires run from PSU to mainboard.

I mean, we don't even know which model you have
ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G5

Whatcha sliding mordecai?

Lots of shills in this thread.

Europeons need to burn in a tar-pit. Disgusting

This isn't going to work. Try again.

Whatcha saying schlomo?

Looks like some Soros-funded controlled opposition to me.

No.

Has anyone else tried Debian Sid? Most of the precompiled packages work great, aside from 3D games.

Literally why run PowerPC in the current year. Just use core2duo if you want botnet free CPU.

Certain AMD server chips are fully compatible with Libreboot and a a lot cheaper than Talos. Look into that too.

You're limited to the Asus KGPE-D16 motherboard, to my knowledge. They're fucking expensive, considering how old they are.

Powerpc, the older varients like that found in powermac g5's, is not vulnerable to any of the specter hardware bugs as it does not have speculative execution. Meanwhile the core2duo, or any x86 cpu for that matter, always have speculative execution which means being vulnerable to specter.

I'm running a Proxmox hypervisor (Debian-based) which also has ZFS on Linux. Hardware is dual processor Xeon E5-2690V4, 128GB ECC Ram. I'm running various application servers, and I can provision virtual machines in about 30 seconds, so I'm not bothering with Docker.

Love my Blackbird. Super fast. Ignore @1036764
He's sounds like a mighty faggot. Anyone with half a brain knows he's a kike SJW. He's been funneling shekels out EOMA68 into a sustainable energy product he's also doing. The whole thing is basically a sham and stillbirth.

Attached: 06d05071dc2fc494e7fb349ebfd139a809dab84ed797cf98f2932923d7c348ea.png (492x503, 413.18K)

Do you love your pozz powered OpenBMC made by Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Intel and IBM? Intel's ME look meek compared to this shit.
>github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/README.md

@1060043
Average kikecuck still ignoring my argument. Laughable. Sounds like a YUGE unicucks weenie. Did your hydrogen pipe dream fail on you yet?
Hint Hint: EOGRIDS uses chinese's backdoored all-winner SoC's

Where can I get a charger for the PB5? I got one from my grandma recently, but my puppy chewed through the charger.

Attached: wiilinux.jpg (3072x2304, 1.65M)

Some x86 CPUs are so old that they are immune to speculative execution bugs. But you would need to go into the original Pentium and earlier to avoid the (((unique id))) (((intel))) put on every CPU past the Pentium II.

archive.is/Nxntw

Come again?

Rocking a Intel D510mo (Atom) board atm, flashed to coreboot, Gentoo Hardened Libressl, feels good man.

lol ok l i b t a r d

user why would you buy a cluster for everyday use? you do realize cluster computing is for niche applications, right?

Attached: 555comeonnow.jpg (600x328, 27.78K)

Raptor Blackbird is shipping.
$999 motherboard
$1279 motherboard + 4 core POWER9
$1605 motherboard + 8 core POWER9
raptorcs.com/content/base/products.html