High-end Linux ARM laptops are coming!

Thanks to System76
Video:
youtube.com/watch?v=Fopa1Uoh87w
Article:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=System76-Wants-High-End-ARM
ME/PSPfags BTFO!

Attached: armHuge.gif (2551x2551, 18.49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Fopa1Uoh87w
github.com/system76/firmware-update
blog.system76.com/post/178887761292/celebrating-adalovelaceday-with-gnomes-first
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

who cares

Is this why people consider indians sub-humans?

(((ARM))) is cancer, nobody should care.

keep your cuckchan copypasta on cuckchan faggot

>youtube.com/watch?v=Fopa1Uoh87w
crypto Rust shill detected

Well they mention it because the guy behind Redox works at System76

github.com/system76/firmware-update is written in Rust, as well.
This was so convenient that I installed Pop_OS! on a system just to use its firmware updater, after giving up trying to build this shit.

That's actually pretty cool, I thought they just sold some OEM machines with Linux pre-installed.

good to know. txs

They pretty much do, but they do make modifications to those machines, as well as order very specific configurations all for the sake of making sure it all works on GNU/Linux. And as they said in the video, they started getting more serious about firmware stuff after the ME got public attention.
Sounds like they'll be actually creating their own original designs for this new ARM effort though. I can't imagine that the typical OEMs would offer much support for that.

Okay, that's interesting, but what are the benefit of using ARM to the end user? Better battery life than x86, I suppose?

Better battery life certainly
simpler RISC architecture. From my perspective, that means less likely to have design flaws, much like having less code running on a system reduces attack surface.
And of course less botnet. Look into the Intel Management Engine and AMD Platform Security Processor/Secure Processor

Reminder that System76 is shilled by kikes like Lunduke.
The Laptops are totally overpriced. If you buy that shit you're just giving money to kikes.
They use Intel processors and tell you how great they are at using ME cleaner. How does any of that justify the price?
They're just kiking you faggots.

So what would you recommend? Some laptop by a mainstream brand? They certainly don't do jack shit to ensure Linux compatibility or disable ME
A Libreboot chinkpad with a 1280x800 screen and that can barely run a browser at this point?
I'm not saying this particular company is flawless or the best option either. There's others like Purism that do stuff like hardware killswitches for camera and microphone, although they don't seem to have any plans to use a different architecture at this time (aside from the phone)

x86 is flawed by design.
Remember Specter? that's only possible because x86 sucks.

Reminder that just because Lunduke shills it doesn't mean its bad. Or are you running windows10, perhaps?
Though System76 seems to want to cuck itself with inclusion directives.
blog.system76.com/post/178887761292/celebrating-adalovelaceday-with-gnomes-first

No, it isn't. and the problems of spectre and meltdown wasn't specific to x86. x86 has many flaws such as the compatibility mess and extensions wrapped around it. Plus the inability to leverage modern parallelisation at the instruction level like in VLIW, ARM or MIPS arches.

ARM is flawed by design. There's no UEFI/BIOS standard. You need a million different """ROMs""" to support more than a single device.

Just choose one that doesn't have nvidia graphics and use me cleaner on a tested CPU.
Can't remember them claiming that their stuff is tested to be Libreboot compatible.
How about any other laptop that matches my description above?

This is why phonefags are bound to android.
They don't actually have a choice.

Except there is. It's called UEFI. Read the article
I swear, it's like people don't actually investigate the links in thread OPs.

Yes, because it's blocked on my end. Phoronix uses (((Cloudflare))). I didn't know anyone was working on UEFI for ARM. Sounds great, but most companies want to keep you in a walled garden.

thats only one device. almost all arm devices use some proprietary bootloader or some shitty uboot with no configs or sources available

But will System76's? I highly doubt it given that they market to GNU/Linux people

An ARM desktop or notebook would be good in theory if the hardware would run decently on linux but it never does and always lacks a ton of shit. I don't wanna run some proprietary chink frankenkernel.

Good, x86 is trash and needs to die

Trips of truth

ARM is even worse

this tbh

no. arm has better power consumption, and both are botnet. also arm is more modern than x86

ARM isn't relevant yet because less than 0.0001% of devices have a standard UEFI.

You've been watching too much Coreteks

You know all CPU's are RISC internally right? (What is microcode). And that its comical to talk about attack surface of an ISA.

This "RISC internally" shit is a meme. Yeah suuure it's reduced 'internally', but what about externally? This is like a fat person being like, "I'm skinny on the inside!" No.

>literally roastie-tier security hole that lets (((them))) receive your encryption keys
Suuuuuure

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

This is a good thing.

Yeah, right, and the moon is made of cheese.

Masons, Masons everywhere...

A lot of these posts seem to be automated!

Oof, the racism in this thread!

Oof, the racism in this thread!