Ncurses Programming

How can you possibly do it correctly?
I see things like menus (which are fine but what if I need multiline items). What about scrolling (not just down but also up)
What if I need to scroll not by lines, but by "items" like windows, or scroll horizontally
Also, ranger somehow uses images, how can images be seamlessly used. Can other types of things be items, like videos, and music (of course some other external program would be called to properly play it) What about resizing?
Wouldn't it be great to have a library on top of ncurses which allowed you to do these things plus more easily, just as the java swing allows one to easily build GUI programs.
I'm a minimalist fag, so I'd love for more TUI programs when appropriate, and it seems having something like this would be a yuuge help towards making TUI programs

Attached: textadept-ncurses.png (1135x737, 211.04K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/saitoha/libsixel
invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html
timecube.2enp.com/
port70.net/~nsz/c/c99/n1256.html#J.2
verisimilitudes.net/2018-04-04
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal#"Intelligent"_terminals
multicians.org/terminals.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block-oriented_terminal
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3270
verisimilitudes.net/mmc-chip8
github.com/nsf/termbox
xn--rpa.cc/essays/term
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ranger uses images with an X11 hack, you can't use that with ncurses. I don't know if you can play music or video with it.
There are libraries built on top of ncurses to make stuff easier, but I don't have any experience with them. Just google it and you should find them.

Use QT like a normal person.
There is literally no good reason for making anything with Ncurses, it's slow, inefficient and convoluted.

Then how come w3mimgdisplay works in the tty?

Attached: wew.png (1680x1050, 606.56K)

must be some framebuffer thing. even ttys arent like they used to be

fun fact, you can easily write stuff to /dev/fbcon. It's a device. With ffmpeg and the right format, you can "write" pictures to it. Ranger probably does something like that.

With terminal emulators in X11 you can use sixels, but only if the terminal emulator in question supports it. There is also yaft, which is a framebuffer terminal (doesn't need X) it also supports sixels (and 256 colors)

You have the mental illness part down but I think everything else is wrong. You sound more like a ricer or LARPer.

I'm sure someone has already made a XUL type markup for ncurses.

Unrelated question: How do you install the the English version man page for w3m? When I try it I only get the German version.

Is Ncurses really worth it when you have access to a real GUI? It seems like it's just as complex as traditional GUIs, just with worse capabilities and random limitations due to being console based. For basic modal dialogues and shit it's okay, but I see people trying to draw graphics with ASCII art and it just looks fucking retarded.

The problem with GUI libraries is they always want to be an enterprise-ready library that lets you customize and modularize every single thing about your GUI so that you can actually make real, professional programs with it like Office or whatever the fuck. But 90% of the time you're working on a small project and you're not gonna use use 90% of those features, and they create complexity up front because now basic things are more complicated than they need to be. I wish there was a library that is deliberately limited in how powerful or customizable it is, as a trade off to allow minimal effort GUI for prototyping/hobby projects. If I ever make the app mature enough to sell, I'd just hire a real GUI programmer.

Well, if it's something that can only run in a terminal, like an OS installer, driver manager (in case graphics crash) or something meant for ssh.

I know it's not minimalist in the sense of the complexity that such a library would bring.
Also, I regret saying that, I'm not a minimialist, but I try to be.
For example, I try to not use desktop enviorments but just window managers and I don't even have a GUI file manager.
most of my tasks can be done using the command line, except web browsing of course

but the command line looks cooler

`w3m` does image display, not ranger.

And that also isn't perfect. I had massive problems with image in the terminal, and ranger straight up didn't show any images. Instead i use `img2txt` for previews, for that maximum autismo.

As for a more robust, fuller implementation of graphics in the terminal: i had some luck with trying libsixel( github.com/saitoha/libsixel ), and it worked, kinda. Displaying a lot of images is absurdly slow and requires massive computing resources. I mean the M$ Losedows definition of "a lot": 40 images is when my problems started>>1038367

Dwarf fortress looks like ass tho.

Ncurses is anything but minimal. Not only is it extremely bloated, any program that uses it will have memory leaks because Ncurses has an intentional memory leak. That's peek UNIX weenie design.

No, you literally just use the X11 API to just set the pixel values for that window. As long as the window doesn't redraw over it, your image will be their.

lol wut

invisible-island.net/ncurses/ncurses.faq.html

Unfortunately, that depends on the particulars of your program, as there's many things that can go wrong with using a terminal emulator. What's the minimum column and line count it needs to properly display, for one, and how can it handle resize? To my knowledge, you can't tell the terminal emulator to resist a resize.

Welcome to the wonderful world of edge cases.

What do you mean?

You'd need to build that abstraction yourself.

What I did was build my own terminal abstraction library, ACUTE-TERMINAL-CONTROL; if you're using Common Lisp at any point, give it a try. There's someone building some abstractions over it, actually.

I'm not particularly familiar with the Ncurses API, but I don't like what I've seen. If you're really into minimalism, I suggest building your own abstraction or using a simple abstraction someone else wrote. Most every terminal is going to follow ECMA-48, so you don't need terminal control code abstraction anymore.

The only thing the terminals have over everything else is that at least they're simple. Anything on top of X11 isn't going to be. You may be surprised to learn that even the terminals are handled poorly; Xterm has several incompatible and broken mouse reporting modes, along with interpreting extended colors (That is anything beyond the eight defined by name.) incorrectly. Every other terminal emulator, it seems, just follows Xterm's mistaken lead, without even knowing the standards being implemented.

I've found support for sixels so poor that one may as well not bother.

The terminal is the only thing supported well. Everything else is even worse. I've not seen a single X11 GUI that isn't disgustingly complicated, is documented well, is supported by the languages I need, is still maintained, along with other issues. I've given up on that.

This is also how I feel.

Here it comes!

[Citation Needed] like ALL of your assertions in ALL of your posts.

I can assure you that w3mimgdisplay does not work in standard tty.
The effect shown is using a graphical tty, which has for some reason become the default in most distros.

Then, that's a framebuffer TTY. It's not that many distros are adopting it, it's just the linux's KMS in action.
I guess it only works on Intel, AMD and Nouveau drivers because they're open-source, if you're using Nvidia's proprietary driver, or you disabled KMS, you would see the traditional 80x24 terminal. In that, displaying pictures would not work.

you aren't white enough to post here, reddit. ncurses is notoriously bad and bloated heap of shit. also, see this post

Attached: POST_PROOF.jpg (591x768, 67.28K)

your brain has a memory leak

As pointed out in , indeed ncurses leaks memory, but not as accident or bad programming, but due implementation details and optimization.
The manual is really clear about it, it clearly instructs the programmer that it is intentional and provides a work around if needed "--disable-leaks".
Since such optimizations may not be needed anymore due to the high processing power we have today, maybe a new ncurses could be developed? Why don't you give it a shoot?
According to the Wikipedia's article about ncurses, programs like w3m uses it just for termcap. So if you don't use all the features, maybe you won't have leaks.
By the way, nice picture you got there, perfect strawman to throw around. Asking for proof is the same as rat kvetching.

the whole point was that ncurses is badly designed. it was clearly stated previously that the leak was indeed intentional but started defending bad design by throwing a strawman of her own or perhaps she's just simply unable to read.

Attached: 1550011143445.png (583x290, 261.48K)

It's bullshit. Use GTK or or make your own minimal Wayland GUI lib.
If it's a desktop OS then no. Even Haiku offers a graphical installer in the form of a live DVD/USB stick/whatever you prefer.
Why install an OS you can't run? I know it costs more CPU power if the drivers aren't installed yet but I doubt the CPU will have a significant impact on the installation speed even on old devices.

Don't try to be a minimalist.
Minimalism is pure mental illness, depression to be specific. Don't fall for it.
Instead you should aim to use the best tool for the job. If it turns out some tiny image viewer is the best then use that but make sure that's true. Don't start using some gimped piece of ass because some guy with a 16gb RAM 500gb SSD Ryzen 7 or some shit is installing gentoo and talking about how st is way more minimal than xterm.

Too much bloat.

Make your own Wayland GUI lib.

Go back to your women's rights class.
Furthermore also made clear that it isn't bad design, but optimization. To prove bad design, you'd have to test the framerate impact of a change to what you'd consider better design, then determine the average percentage of memory of a modern computer wasted with percentage of computing cycles wasted and see if it comes out worse.

Different applications have different viability.
I wouldn't play games or browse the web in an ncurses setting, it just isn't possible.
Other stuff like file managers or even torrent clients do work though.

Yeah these are problems I'd have to think about if I were writing a program with ncurses. To have the library already resize the window would be amazing.

It's still a case regardless. There should be support unless the case is really obscure and doesn't merit implementation.
What I'd do is at least support easy ways to implement that use case.

In ncurses, if you have a window, and you "fully write" to it, then writing more and refreshing won't do a thing. There's an option to "scroll the window" upon this happening, but all it does is scroll down. You cannot scroll backup I think, even if you move the cursor to (0,0) and refresh.
But I'm not so sure.

Or have a library already supporting that. I don't want to concern myself with implementing irrelevant stuff.

I'll check it out, but I won't lie, I'd rather it be written in Guile. I'll still check it out though.

This is why I like terminals to begin with. They're extremely simple and much more fun to work with.

Even terminals like st and urxvt?

I'll check that out, hopefully my language already has a wrapping/binding for it.

This is already kind of my approach.
Not everything terminal is automatically good.
I would never browse the web with w3m or lynx, it seems impractical.
But I am biased towards the command line because I think it will by default mostly be better than GUI; of course there are exceptions.

Then prepare to listen and believe, if you're really white.
Ncurses does not have memory leaks.
The moon's made of cheese.
You are the smartest person on Earth.
Windows is objectively better than an avocado.
2+2=the sum of the squares of the hypotenuse
Moose estivate yearly.
Anyone you disagree with is a jew.
For more information, please consult timecube.2enp.com/

this is the problem with your "best tool for the job" approach. Your sorting function is extremely dependent on your personal experience. What's "best for the job" will always be the most plebian and consumerist of shit, because anything else will have a speed bump in front of it, and that will make it "seem impractical".

Whereas your metric of most obtuse = best leads to using a text based interface to view images. Pure insanity.

I primary use ncurse because of ssh and tmux, I use my netbook to access my tower in the closet because I can't stand the fan noise. I know I can forward gui through ssh but that's a bit clunky and slow. Is there a better solution?

I criticize a personal-experience-dependent metric, and you accuse me of having one as well? Or did you not even think about how one would even be able to determine what's "most obtuse" out of some options?
Minimalists have numbers.

lol like LOC yeah totally not subjective.

This is bait but you are right. Don't use Ncurses as its heavyweight because of legacy code. Something like blessing would be better even, and that's with python being shit. Just implement the line draw to /dev/fb* and keyboard input yourself. VLC has an implementation too if you need another reference on how its done.

Hello World! Greatest software of all time. Side note, GNU Hello= Enterprise Fizz Buzz. Actually, this whole loc metric isn't so bad, as long as you compare in category.

the good half of ncurses could be done in 200 lines of c

How many CVEs would it have though?

you could audit it in about 30 seconds
CVEs come from too much code, not too little. Look at the list of CVEs for classic c programs like curl. They're all in the obscure, recently added parts that no one ever uses.

But let's face it, using w3m or lynx isn't practical, specially if you have to use school websites, where javascript is required.

Top LARP!
port70.net/~nsz/c/c99/n1256.html#J.2

They're problems with writing a program that works with a terminal emulator at all. It would be so nice to be able to specify minimum dimensions, as GUIs can, but this is just one of many things that aren't accounted for.

I agree. I'm of the opinion that every edge case should be accounted for.

That's odd, but I'm fortunately rather ignorant of much of Ncurses. The ECMA-48 standard supports scrolling the entire terminal in the four directions, so everything works best if you can fit it within that model.

I can't write that I'm fond of these virtual windows and whatnot, anyway. I'd rather have a more pleasant interface that is also easier to program correctly.

In case you've not already found it, here:
verisimilitudes.net/2018-04-04

Keep in mind that being simple doesn't mean pleasant to program. It's simpler that a terminal doesn't let you lock dimensions, as an example, but this makes it much worse to program for.

Read the comments in my ACUTE-TERMINAL-CONTROL for my full thoughts, but yes. As an example, they don't even implement ISO 8613-6 colors correctly, these being colors beyond those predefined eight referenced by name; they improperly parse them and so you have the option of sending a slightly incorrect sequence or not using the colors at all. I sent a (poorly written) patch to the st developers, but they didn't even care.

Of course, you must find this out for yourself. It's not as if st or any of these terminals actually know they're following the ISO 8613-6 standard. They just do whatever xterm does. It's a mess.

Yes, you have to know the c programming language in order to audit it. Compared to a full language definition - including standard library - that list is pretty short. If only you were just auditing for unspecified behaviour!

no, w3m's a superior browser for many purposes.

LOC is a lot of things but 'subjective' isn't one of them.

>ex +'%j|x' mysource.c

this is akin to crouching and saying you're shorter
you're dumb and your smart ass responses don't change the fact the LOC is a real metric by which to judge programs

Honestly, it's mostly the scrolling thing I have a problem with.
If your library can already scroll in all directions then it's already better than ncurses.
I'll definitely check it out.

Emacs. Literally Emacs.

good choice but i'd rather just use the GUI version

Attached: perfectdayruinedbyroastie.jpg (900x281, 57.77K)

I know you are baiting but here's a you anyway.

ummm,,,
if your PC can run in a closed closet, then it isn't so hot that it needs turbojet fans
and with most PCs, you can use a fan-mate to slow the fans down to about 60% speed, and lose about 90% of the fan noise

-----

as to OP: primitivism for its own sake is not a virtue. 'Less' is never 'more'.

it's not bait. LOC is LOC and pretending it's meaningless because it can be manipulated is just pretending to be stupid.

Spot the difference, stormnigger

I wrote less words than you. Therefore my post is better. Face those facts.

Nice damage control, cnile.

Both of our posts are under 1KB. Nobody cares.
It's easier to pretend to be stupid about numbers if you forget how people actually use them, huh.

Lines of code is a really good quantitative indicator of complexity.
You can artificially bypass in a (dumb) way like you did, but that can be done with any indicator whatsoever. Like some time ago one study said women were as "gamers" as men because they included 5 minutes of candycrush as being a gamer.
Really, you sound like you're bitching just for the sake of it, just to be contrarian and pretend to be smarter than everyone else.

The standard I use is GFLOC - Good Faith Lines Of Code

If the author isn't being a retard making the code shorter in stupid ways then you can measure it in GFLOC.

nigger

ok kid

Don't delve into the whole terminal unix fetishist bullshit.
GUI programs belong in the GUI. The terminal is for programs that communicate through text only.
Curses was a retarded hack to allow GUI-ish programs to be ran when people didn't want the effort to run an X server.
If you want minimalist run programs bare metal or through a DOS prompt. Linux is designed to be as un minimalist as possible to accommidate a huge range of hardware and devices.

Attached: e3403700eaf3b45113f79e7354e8613ad4daebfe.png (913x465, 628.23K)

Smart terminals, the ones that you can change the cursor position, font weight, have an alternate screen and other features, predates GUIs.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal#"Intelligent"_terminals

Even late Multics used the smart terminal features (the Multics faggot actually made curious about it):
multicians.org/terminals.html

ncurses carries a lot of baggage due to compatibility to a lot of models and I don't know if there's a minimalist approach to it. Basically, today we mostly use xterm-256, so I think a developer can get away just handling this terminal.

The whole concept of the GUI is just fundamentally broken. It's centered around the idea that a person should want to do six different things at once, so you need to have six different windows open. CLI programs, and therefore TUI programs, recognize that most of the time you only need one program open, to do one thing. If you need to do something else, you should pause the first task, or background it, and move to the second task. But the default is to do one thing at once, as it should be.

You're an idiot, the GUI is centered around the idea that you can present multiple options on a screen and make the functions of a computer more transparent.

Instead of looking into the void of a terminal and having to know the magic words, you have options presented to you as icons. You click one and it expands into further options, a file menu, a url bar, etc.

Imagine if you had to type "READ_COMMENT 0xFDE2E" to use this website. It would have no userbase.

Interesting, but modern terminal emulators do the same thing. I'm looking for the modern equivalent for the BLIT terminal.

What's the point of a multi-tasking operating system then?

Correction: it would have no normalfags.

What sucks about ncurses is that it's based on emulating character-oriented terminals because the PDP-11 they were using had a teletype instead of a CRT. GUIs are a huge hack on UNIX, but so are terminals. This means every single keypress causes multiple context switches, leading to kludges like having intentional memory leaks for "speed" and similar bullshit (including but not limited to the typical C brain damage), while still being slower and using many orders of magnitude more memory. In contrast, "By ensuring the CPU is not interrupted at every keystroke, a 1970s-era IBM 3033 mainframe with only 16 MB was able to support up to 17,500 3270 terminals under CICS."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block-oriented_terminal

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_3270

Actually, it's more the hardware vendors fault. Forabout 15 years now, the solution has been to throw morehardware (memory, cpu cycles, graphics co-processors, and soon) at the users. UNIX has the dubious advantage of lookingmore like "a real operating system" to the microprocessorcrowd (who are used to CPM/MSDOS/etc). So they think that by installing unix, it makes theirsystem into a "real computer". In fact, unix is just aminicomputer operating system (at best). So what they endup with is a box with more MIPs than a 70s mainframe, morememory than a 70s mainframe, more disk than a 70s mainframe,and a 70s minicomputer operating system. And it runs aboutas fast as a 70s minicomputer, asn supports as many users.The wonder is that anyone is surprised.

TUIs can do that as well. The people who originally developed GUIs had access to these TUIs, and were trying to go beyond them. What they came up with was a schizophrenic array of floating windows, where a person can be doing any number of things at one time. Look at any of the old demos, and this is what they are showing off. Telling the user what they could do was old hat.

Obviously any given program can take advantage of multiple processes, eg for parallel builds. And you need mulltitasking to implement time sharing. But the key word is "most of the time", there are choice situations that call for background processes.

this

based

BBSs existed before GUIs, and they were massively popular.
Stop being retarded.

BBS also have no userbase. Are you sure you're not also being retarded?

There's, like, two posts on /dqn/ daily. There are a couple of active textboards. Also a bunch of /prog/ spinoffs.

lol

who are you quoting?

cuckchanner begone

Okay, I checked it out. I'm confused regarding your last pararagraph the page.
Care to explain what you mean by needing to launch the CL implementation with another program.

I mean one should, ideally, abstract the Common Lisp program from the wants of the underlying operating system.

Here is an example of me doing this:
verisimilitudes.net/mmc-chip8

This sh program handles any recognized command line arguments, sets the terminal state to no buffering nor echoing, handles restoring terminal state to what it was once the program is finished, and you can see at the end it launches the Common Lisp implementation selected with the actual program.

So, this sh program handles all of the UNIX drudgery for me, allowing the Common Lisp to be better and free of such concerns.

So, in short, this functions the same as ncurses's endwin()?

I wouldn't know. I lightly looked around for documentation, but found none that told me what this is.

Think of it like this: UNIX uses the sh program and if I ever were to find myself using this program on a different system, I'd simply need to write another program in the system's preferred language to accomplish the same or similar goals there.

Disgusting.

A personal-experience-dependent metric is the only kind of metric that is of any use here. No matter if it's the decision what you use personally or what library, like ncurses, you use for your project, you'd be stupid not to just do it the way you personally like best when you have the chance to do so.
Also keep in mind that you need graphics to display graphics.

Why use ncurses when there's termbox?

github.com/nsf/termbox

Better yet, why not write a new TUI library for $CURRENT_YEAR?

xn--rpa.cc/essays/term

Attached: pnc__picked_media_b0c89542-c82a-4192-9f3b-9c5d1c78a75c.jpg (1955x2969, 976.49K)

termbox is classical minimalism in that it has less features for no real reason other than it'd be bloat.

can I read user input without enter with termbox?

Lol no it's not you retarded faggot

If you want to write anything GUI related, first understand Model-View[-Controller] paradigm.
Maybe start with some graphical gui creation toolkit like Qt and see how it is handled there.

For scrolling text you just need a struct that holds all lines and an int for current index.
And a function so the GUI can request a certain number of lines starting with the selected one for display.

lol

Your so full of absolute utter bullshit. Just because something is old doesn't make it bad. Engineering is not done by replacing everything they people 10 years before him did with a completely different thing every few years. It's done by building atop of and refining what we have already built. This is why userspace is suck a mess. Because every webdev who think's he's hot shit because he can he can make a Wordpress plugin thinks he know's better than 40 years of computer engineers did. Then you get shit like PulseAudio and systemd

systemd a dbus

Exactly, which is why "a 1970s-era IBM 3033 mainframe with only 16 MB was able to support up to 17,500 3270 terminals under CICS."

UNIX weenies in the 80s were saying it's better because it's newer, now they say it's better because it's old. Why is it that UNIX weenies have no respect for anything old or new unless it's UNIX? UNIX weenies want to replace everything with UNIX bullshit that can't even parse strings without crashes and remote exploits, not to mention that everything needs tens of times as much code just to be buggier, slower, and less reliable. Instead of hundreds of megabytes of libraries so you can pretend UNIX sucks less, a good operating system works right from the ground up.

If you want to improve something by refining and building on top of it, it has to be good in the first place. UNIX and C took a huge shit on computer engineers who were developing improved hardware. Webdev is just more UNIX bullshit written in UNIX languages. All these fragile hacks like parsing text error messages instead of using error codes or objects came from UNIX. What really sucks is that programming has been corrupted by UNIX bullshit so much that weenies think these hacks and workarounds like EINTR are how computer engineers actually intended their hardware to be used.

These people are seemingly -incapable- of even believingthat not only is better possible, but that better could haveonce existed in the world before driven out by worse. Well,perhaps they acknowledge that there might be room for someincidental clean-ups, but nothing that the boys at Bell Labsor Sun aren't about to deal with using C++ or Plan-9, or,alternately, that the sacred Founding Fathers hadn'texpressed more perfectly in the original V7 writ (if only wepaid more heed to the true, original strains of the unixcreed!) In particular, I would like to see such an article separate, as much as possible, the fundamental design flaws of Unix from the more incidental implementation bugs.My perspective on this matter, and my "reading" of thematerial which is the subject of this list, is that the twoare inseparable. The "fundamental design flaw" of unix isan -attitude-, and attitude that says that 70% is goodenough, that robustness is no virtue, that millions of usersand programmers should be hostage to the convenience orlaziness of a cadre of "systems programmers", that one'stime should be valued at nothing and that one's knowledgeshould be regarded as provisional at best and expendable ata moment's notice.My view is that flaming about some cretin using afixed-sized buffer in some program like "uniq" says just asmuch about unix as pointing out that this operating systemof the future has a process scheduler out of the dark agesor a least-common-denominator filesystem (or IPCs or systemcalls or anything else, it -doesn't matter-!)The incidental -is- fundamental in dissecting unix, much asit is in any close (say, literary or historical) reading.Patterns of improbity and venality and outright failure arerevealed to us through any examination of the minutiae ofany implementation, especially when we remember that onecornerstone of unix pietism is that any task is really nomore than the sum of its individual parts. (Puny tools forpuny users.)

RIP

Based.