Mechanical HDDs Can Be Used As Microphones Now

archive.is/uYGeS

Long story short, the signal needs to be loud and the attacker needs physical access, but HDDs can be turned into microphones now.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/uYGeS
extremetech.com/electronics/287324-researchers-turn-hard-drives-into-covert-listening-devices
archive.fo/kJvpk
theregister.co.uk/2019/03/07/hard_drive_eavesdropping/
youtube.com/watch?v=poktHJzvDX0)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it can also be used like a tiny record player to play it back

interesting, what hard drives have firmware open enough to allow modification and loading back onto the hard drive?
If this PES shit is that accurate to external noise it could also be used as an entropy source.
this requires further research

That's the thing; most of the firmware is already closed source, so we can't even know if this isn't the case.

>archive.is/uYGeS
extremetech.com/electronics/287324-researchers-turn-hard-drives-into-covert-listening-devices
archive.fo/kJvpk
theregister.co.uk/2019/03/07/hard_drive_eavesdropping/
< just believe us goy but we're not giving you the research

>Addendum: If you're suffering deja-vu, the paper cites Alfredo Ortega's earlier work (youtube.com/watch?v=poktHJzvDX0) on using hard disks as microphones, although its authors claim they use a different technique to measure the effects of sound, and require a lower volume compared to other approaches.

great, thanks china jews; instead of telling me which hard drives support open source firmware lock it down further and require botnet to verify a crypto signature like ME botnet

Download the firmware and use ghidra to reverse it.
Problem solved.

Does it say anything about the frequency range that can be picked up?

from the register article

That's interesting.
I wonder how prevalent HDD's are though today. Most new consumer tech, at least for the past 5 years, have been using solid-state for storage. And besides, nearly everyone carries some form of cellular phone with them, and nearly every laptop has a microphone built-in.

SSDs still can't compete for the price-point of larger HDDs. Especially with software bloat and HD movies being a thing, most people I know have a PC with both: an SSD with a size 256 or 512GB that has the OS and programs that work better with rapid access, while the HDD (sometimes multiple) in the 2-4TB range stores most of the media and program data.

You're right about the laptops and phones, though. I built my PC myself so I know damn well there isn't a microphone in there, but it does have an HDD. Good thing I don't have a habit of talking to myself.

I could swear I heard of this a few years ago?

I could swear punctuation has rules?

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

That's a lot of fan noise to sort through.

This is why you should keep your HDDs in a NAS in your basement.