LSP

It sounds really good on paper, convince me that it's shit and botnet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_Server_Protocol
langserver.org/
microsoft.github.io/language-server-protocol/

Attached: 1460070192717.jpg (500x375, 43.7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

langserver.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The concept is solid. The implementation is absolute _bloat_.

That doesn't tell me jack shit about it, given that Zig Forums and /g/ treat any kind of feature they don't use as "muh bloat".

It's gay.

I've been trying it via Emacs, using both lsp-mode and eglot. I prefer the latter, since it sticks to the Emacs interface which scales down better to physically smaller screens that I sometimes use, the former tries to replicate what I assume to be vscode's interface, somewhat poorly from what I can tell. Eglot is also simpler to interact with and evens out sending, so the lag is distributed more evenly, and it also seems to be a bit more stable. Mostly I've been trying it on Javascript and Java, but I've been using lsp-mode for Java which also requires another package called lsp-java. This isn't required for every LSP server in lsp-mode, just a few like Java, and eglot doesn't really have packages like that for it. However, eglot requires Emacs 26.1, since it uses the somewhat improved flymake that comes with it. Here are some screenshots of lsp-mode and eglot, although used on different languages. The language servers used are the Eclipse JDT Language Server and Sourcegraph's javascript-typescript-langserver for lsp-mode and eglot respectively.
It may be worth it for you where the custom made servers meant for your text editor fail, but usually its a somewhat laggy experience for me (bearable with eglot). Could depend a lot on what language the server is implemented in and how well it was implemented as well, though. Some languages have multiple language servers implemented for them already, but usually theres one that comes out on top compared to the rest. Check langserver.org/ for a non-exhaustive list of these servers (although it probably has all of Sourcegraph's servers on there since its run by them).

Attached: lsp-mode.png (1960x1043 261.42 KB, 199.4K)

Why would they use JSON-RPC instead of something lighter-weight like MessagePack RPC? There is no advantage to the messages being human-readable, so you might as well make it binary. The big advantage of JSON is how easy it is to read and write for humans.

last time I tried lsp on emacs there was a 100% cpu usage thing because neither implementation had the ability to set a default settings file so it would just lag like crazy in the background.
Unsurprisingly vim doesn't have this problem because more than 15 people use vim.

Basically.

It is Microsoft's darling in solving the problem of not being able to integrate proper debuggers and linters into text editors.
The protocol is save and sound, but all the implementations are beyond trash, relegated to shotty plugins.
All the C LSPs require an own version of clang running in the background. Now everything has multiple points of failure.

It is pic related.

Nothing beats a competent text editor like emacs with proper integration into GCC's linting options.

Attached: mashed.jpg (400x400, 143.07K)

I don't think that happens anymore, since I'm not getting 100% load from running lsp-mode or eglot. Probably happened back when those packages were far less stable, I hear lsp-mode has been reworked quite a bit, to the point where the comparison the eglot dev made between lsp-mode and eglot a while ago is now inaccurate, according to him.
Emacs is still widely used, I have seen it installed on hundreds of machines at an organization (doesn't translate to usercount, but dispels the myth of "not on MY machine(s)"). I think the userbase is steady, maybe not as popular as Vim and derivatives, but it seems like a stable amount of users. It would be nice to have a new Emacs, essentially the same concept but with better languages replacing both elisp and C, perhaps some modern Scheme that is well documented and is ready for the future of machines with more parallel processing power/the focus on concurrency as well, and whatever systems programming language (Ada, Rust, Zig?, maybe even modern C++, et al) is suitable for a small core. Perhaps some default improvements: CUA mode by default, ido replaced with a helm/ivy-like, the frumpy old I-search and the query replace replaced with a swiper-like and something similar for the query replace, an optional minimap that some people seem to love so much, new and improved tree directory frame, etc. Generally, faster, safer, easier to use by default, multithreaded and concurrency ready. But the situation isn't as messy as with Vim, theres no panic to make a NeoEmacs, the code simply doesn't suck as much as Vim's.

I just use Irony-server myself, it works well for me. For now, the C/C++ LSP servers are probably still much slower, but then again they are young projects. One probable reason for Microsoft doing this is to get the disparate developers to work for them indirectly, by making servers that can all be used with VSCode, instead of working on stuff specific to a text editor.

Wouldn't human-readable make creating plugins easier? If plugins are easy to make then the protocol has a better chance of succeeding

Instead of doing the emacs larpathon just go look at the numbers.

oh those dastardly faggots.

There's clangd, though.

it also only supports half of the protocol

Works fine with eglot here. You're better off with clangd >= 7, though.

What's the point? Instead of making all editors better it will make all editors equally shit.

I have seen them already.

Its to make their text editor better, any other text editors improving is a side effect.

embrace, extend, extinguish

That's still a win in my book.

neither eglot nor lsp-mode work. using LSP just made me want to use VS Code instead of Emacs.

people have been trying to do this for decades and failing. rewriting Emacs is a lot more difficult than you think.

if you want all the latest and greatest stuff, you might as well just use one of the latest and greatest editors instead of reinventing the wheel to pretend to be retro.

We already had a thread on this

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Yeah, fuck off boomer. Nobody cares.

Masons, Masons everywhere...

A lot of these posts seem to be automated!

Masons, Masons everywhere.

A lot of these posts seem to be automated!

Yeah, fuck off boomer. Nobody cares.

I wonder (((why))).

Holy fuck what is going on in this thread

That post was made by a paid shill.