Best GUI

I'm looking for a multiplatform (Windows and Linux) GUI design platform. So far, everything I tried was utter shit. QT threw an useless error message on my first run and it's tremendously bloated.

The best stuff I've tried so far is wxWidgets but it's worse than VB6 in all aspects.

Do you have any suggestions? I'm looking for stuff available since 1996 in Win32 land but even that low bar seems impossible to overcome with multiplatform GUI systems.

Pic related: this is the best the open source community has to offer when it comes to GUI design (outside of QT). Word 97 looked better than that.

Attached: Bleeding edge.png (758x639, 20.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_widget_toolkits#High-level_widget_toolkits
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface_builder
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/wxGlade
wxglade.sourceforge.net/docs/intro.html#program-windows
web.archive.org/web/20170306080948/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxGlade
contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/
contemporary-home-computing.org/turing-complete-user/
contemporary-home-computing.org/art-and-tech/not/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs
contemporary-home-computing.org/affordance/
lowendmac.com/2014/pink-apples-first-stab-at-a-modern-operating-system/
lowendmac.com/2005/apples-copland-project/
catb.org/esr/fvwm2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Java heh.

I'd rather kill myself and I know you want me to.

Java swing is just what you need friendo.

gtk ;)

I wanna blend you guys in a blender. Is your meat tasty?

Wanna put my tender
Heart in a blender
Watch it spin 'round
To a beautiful oblivion

Give Motif a try, you won't regret it.

Stop whining and make your own if you're so picky faggot.

Thank you, blessed user. I'll definitely give it a try.

I'm a quasi-pajeet who can barely code. I'm in no position to create one. Why don't you open source nerds create something worth using?

Is Motif only targeting X Window? I need a multi-platform system. This is worthless if that's the case.

Electron is all you need friend.

fltk

Isn't that HTML based?

Into the trash it goes.

Nigger detected.

Electron is based off the Chrome HTML engine and uses the QT as the GUI toolkit. You use client side web technologies (HTML, CSS, DOM, Javascript) to write the logic and the GUI to your program.

It's fucking obvious I won't be the end-user of this software. And if you think end-users don't care about looks then you're retarded and a triple nigger with no connection to the real world.

Also, since you're an imbecile of high caliber let me explain to you having native widgets is more than about looks but if you had ever used a computer it wouldn't be necessary for me to explain you that. Are you even White?

All right, so it's shit. Thanks anyway.

Why do you write programs for niggers, user?

Attached: 1553798177.png (534x846, 648.92K)

So basically you're proving to me that everything related to open source is about pajeets, retards and/or niggers and I'll probably need to use Visual Studio in order not to get cancer while developing my thing.

You're all losers and I wish cancer on all open sores faggots.

Because this world is full of niggers and I need this piece of software to be used by people with IQ > 85. Also, there are some high IQ individuals incapable of dealing with a terminal.

have fun

Attached: daffy_gun.png (526x523, 244.1K)

gitgud

Attached: 1553398500.png (1024x434, 59.63K)

Never heard of wxglade. This looks great.

Yup, the best of the bunch. It has bindings for many languages.

Java FX

Whether you use, can use, or want to use terminal has nothing to do with IQ and everything to do with priorities. Even if you're the most hardcore science genius in the world, that doesn't mean you have any reason to waste your time learning some text meme game just because the developer was too lazy to make a more naturally intuitive UI.

consider killing yourself OP.

Perhaps more interesting question: What widget toolkits allow crossplatform development using native GUI to target not just desktop platforms, but Android/iOS? The only one I'm aware of is Qt.

Knock yourself out, OP:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_widget_toolkits#High-level_widget_toolkits
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphical_user_interface_builder
Thank you for writing software using native widgets in a compiled language. Remember the GUI isn't the only part you should use crossplatform APIs to abstract from core logic.

Lol

This.

dat nice 90s aesthetic

Attached: ede.png (1280x1024, 102.21K)

Wtf, did the article get removed from Wikipedia or what?
Just tried to look it up, got pic related.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/wxGlade

Attached: wikipediawxglade.png (1511x566, 171.64K)

Gi gud and use QT.

Wtf. Is there at least a WinXP theme available?
Same with wxGlade:
wxglade.sourceforge.net/docs/intro.html#program-windows

If you recommend something like that, can you at least add some screenshots that don't trigger our Windows-induced PTSD?

tbh i just use tkinter

The best cross platform GUI is cmd.exe, available on mac via wine, all unix os's via wine, windows, geode, redox, android via wine, etc etc.

its dead. there are over 20 year old bugs that wont ever be fixed

No OP; let's say I wanted to use Qt, is there a way to use it without having to rely on their GUI tools? I have the important code written in C and I just need a GUI for the interface, nothing else. All tutorials are written for people who use Qt's IDE and other GUI tools.

Tk is very serviceable for simple dialogs. If you want something more, you're looking at one kind of special hell or another. Unless you go with Electron which isn't bad you just have to live with yourself.

You are turbo autistic. How can you have a problem with GUI tools for developing your GUI? Do you think you have to stick your program logic into onclick events like it's high school quality Visual Basic?

He's making a valid point.

I mean with the requirement of GUI tool being bad.

Because we don't really give a shit about wintodlers. If you're too much of a brainlet to use qt or gtk, use java. If all else failes, python has number of crossplatform gui modules written for literal children.

TK or GNUStep.

idk why you would want to do that but sure you can write qt gui code in notepad, run qmake to generate Makefiles and distribute it as a regular autist project.

*toddlers
I hereby remind you that (((Stallmann))) couldn't even install Gentoo even through he's always being seen as the Free Software leader by freetards.
How about this?: kys
Why would you use that giant thing either if all you need is a GUI?

Don't listen to
Motif is dead. It was originally a proprietary X window toolkit.
After alternatives arose, they didn't make money from their piece of shit anymore, so they open sauced it.
Try FLTK or GTK or Qt or any other GUI lib. Or just write for the OS API of your OS (may be reasonable if your program is very short).

*Stallman

Absolutely. Aside from giving you immediate feedback on the interface appearance, all the GUI tools do is generate the boilerplate for you, you're free to do it yourself.

OP here.

Yeah, as soon as I took a look at it sober I decided it wasn't what I'm looking for.

I thought about going Win32 and having everybody else go through Wine but I know for sure it will bite me in the ass at some point. To be honest I don't want to learn how to natively program in Mac OS and X Window.
I'll probably go with Qt and failing that for some reason I'll settle on wxWidgets. Honestly, everything else is just bad. GTK looks like it's made by literal niggers.

You need to git gud with qmake, but it can be done.
I wouldn't suggest it, as developing an UI without quick feedback is a bit of a pain.

I'm on Window and will tell you that it's messy.
Good choice.
They're called freetards, user.

Gnome and KDE already switched to Wayland

GUI applications break my workflow, their project files are opaque, and it means my project will be dependent on software that may or may not run five years from now. With the CLI I can pick my own tools, I write everything in ed if I really wanted to. I used to be a GUI user, but since I have settled into the CLI I really don't want to go back. It's like going from well-cooked proper meals to cafeteria junk.

Old GTK applications basically got Wayland support by making GTK into a Wayland client. Zero patches required.
This kind of proves that the opposite of what you said is true.

web.archive.org/web/20170306080948/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WxGlade

I doubt you use anything that isn't GUI.

That screenshot reveals a big issue: every window looks the same. Even W95 was smart enough to change the title bar's color to indicate which window was in focus.

Attached: w95_2.gif (640x480, 17.88K)

It's absurd how bad UX has gotten since UX became 'a thing'.

If only someone would make ReactJS for C or D. Also if someone could point me towards resources for learning how to actually create a GUI library that would be great because I'm so sick of how messy and restrictive every GUI library is.

HTML and CSS unironically has the best basic functionality for making UIs. I made something similar at a basic level for myself in C and I can't imagine any better UI system, it's very flexible but also very easy to use and understand.

The hardest part is things related to text rendering/wrapping, and drawing antialiased visuals.

win2000 has the best ui. anything after that is garbage and the non windows uis have that kind of issues.

If your software has more UI-elements than functionality, it's trash. XML shouldn't be used for GUI at all.

UX is a misnomer, and a newspeak term.

contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/

contemporary-home-computing.org/turing-complete-user/

contemporary-home-computing.org/art-and-tech/not/

those are nigger libs, they don't use native OS controls, so they look and work like shit

And you're not gonna say which ones aren't shit?

Unironically this. Just use the Gluon Scene Builder.

Maybe it's due to nostalgia, but my favorite is good old Mac OS. It was very well designed and had some unique features.

Attached: Mac_OS_9_screenshot_2.png (1024x768, 60.25K)

Mac OS 9 is pretty based. Looks good and just werks.

Anyone remember that one that makes debian look like windows XP?

Attached: desktop.png (1366x768, 486.97K)

OS 9 is when a lot of instability was inserted. I think Jobs was trying to gimp the system so he could force his NeXTSTEP horseshit onto Apple consumers. 8.5 was pretty good, but 7.1 was about the best OS they ever had.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs

contemporary-home-computing.org/affordance/
The fuzzy bullshit of "UX" explains why today's interfaces are so shitty. It's all about evoking feelings now, rather than getting shit done.

Attached: 100000000000040E000002D00CAE46873EE5CDAF.jpg (1038x720, 96K)

I'm working on one written in D right now based on ReactJS.

These people need to die. I fucking hate california, all california-like places and all the fags that live there.

much love for expressing my user experience exactly

But he had no reason to resort to such trickery. Apple had been trying to create a "modern Mac" system since the 80s and failed; using Nextstep as a replacement was always their intention when they brought Jobs back.
lowendmac.com/2014/pink-apples-first-stab-at-a-modern-operating-system/
lowendmac.com/2005/apples-copland-project/

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Java. No seriously. It was made exactly with that in mind. Or make a terminal application. If that kind of compatibility is important to you, you need to make sacrifices. If you are not ready to make sacrifices, you're squring the circle.

The true Mac experience rather than a faggots take on nextstep! Comfiest OS ever!

No, there definitely is a point to it, design definitely doesn't end at 'interface' for a user, and evoking emotion in a user is important for indicating various things. With all that being said, the problem with 'UX' isn't the thing itself, it's that all of the people doing it aren't considering the user at the most basic levels of the system and instead just throwing crap at the user until they get something passable, it's been destroyed by the whole 'agile' meme. You don't need to do any thinking if the user does it for you right?

Is this for real? That's what happens when hippies write programs. How about focusing only on productivity? Feelings is not the responsibility of a computer program.

Delphi?

Tkinter

FVWM. It is customizable down to the pixel. It ships with a script to generate a Windows 95-like desktop, and ESR famously used it way back when and still hosts his config. catb.org/esr/fvwm2/

I personally use a revised version of his own, but hardly revised.

The CDE DE, which is based on Motif, has build targets for Solaris, IRIX, Tru64 UNIX, a "Cell" UNIX, and like 10 or 20 more UNIXes that literally not even wikipedia and anybody else know anymore. It even has a build target for windows ~3-95.
Sadly, it with Motif itself has terrible glaring backdoors both either found because of the age of the code and (((put in))), like how Sendmail was so, so bloated that millitary USA agencies advised to not use it because of its risk of backdoors (which it undoubtedly has).
Motif was also inspired by some council's choices, which designed Motif according to win32 gui standards, and in which microsoft took part.

the project that won't ever be done.

GTK is the native OS control faggot, at least with 100% of DE's that aren't shit.

Fuck wayland
and nobody uses the extreme bloat aids that is Gnome and KDE.

If you dont' want dbus/gdbus/zeromq/botnet on your system you have two options. LXDE or a third party wayland based DE i.e not KDE or gnome faggotry. That's it, there are no other options. You can't just find * | grep bus > rm -f - either because dbus/gdbus automatically respawn/insert themselves back on the system unless you compile all your software without dbus support. Its like a self replicating virus. After you have finally compiled everything to be *bus free and reboot your computer you can delete all the files for the *bus' programs.

The best cross platform GUI is a self compiled QT5 instance. If you don't compile it yourself and build out the bloat, then its tremendously bloated. Also stop being a fag and git gud at compiling.

Shut up chaim.

I wonder (((why))).

Whatcha sliding mordecai?

Judensheim pls go

This is fucking outrageous. Fuck the jews and everyone who let this happen.

Or you could just not use the crippled turd that is Wayland. The faggots sure as hell try to make this impossible through silently breaking everything, but you don't have to upgrade every little thing. X11 will work for a long time.

Best solution will probably be OpenGL based GUI.
Unironically use a game engine, they usually have great GUI systems.
And even with the bloat of a full game engine it will still be less than a web-based solution like Electron.