The install Gentoo Wiki

Liam Wright
Liam Wright

The Install Gentoo wiki is more or less dead. I have become the primary contributor to it. (I am wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/User:Se7en1) As the new primary contributor, I contacted bannanafish in an attempt to get admin status but he has not responded.

Anyway, we have an official wiki and none of you are taking part in it. I implore you all to begin editing it again to ensure accurate information.

wiki.installgentoo.com/wiki/Main_Page

Attached: index.png (3.57 KB, 110x80)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.cloveros.ga
mediawiki.org/wiki/Exporting_all_the_files_of_a_wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=GNU/Linux&action=edit
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs
wiki.cloveros.ga/ThinkPad
wiki.cloveros.ga/CloverOS_GNU/Linux
wiki.cloveros.ga/Mpv

Luke Brown
Luke Brown

I contributed a fair bit in the past but gave up when I realized nobody cares, including the maintainers. Also last I checked, it was a 4chan /g/ wiki and Zig Forums was only tolerated.

Connor King
Connor King

When you think about it, if everyone gave up we can make it a Zig Forums wiki. I exclusively use Zig Forums and like I said I am the only person actively contributing besides one or two edits by lurker accounts.

Evan Morgan
Evan Morgan

Same for me, but I don't like the idea of squatting someone else's property, even if benevolent. It's a ticking time bomb. The admin could come back anytime, decide he's not benevolent anymore, and fuck your shit up.

Instead we should make our own wiki, mediawiki is not hard to host. Would be nice if we could make it a Tor wiki.

Wyatt Phillips
Wyatt Phillips

This is our own wiki. It's even in the Zig Forums sticky, dude. Sure, it previously was made for /g/, and it had less Zig Forums-related content in years past, but this is OUR wiki already, dude

Bentley Lopez
Bentley Lopez

Get our men on the wiki and start adding more stuff!

Luis Hill
Luis Hill

Who is the admin? Does he post on Zig Forums?

Parker Scott
Parker Scott

It's bananafish and he's more or less dead

Brayden Young
Brayden Young

So if he has no accountability at all, why are we trusting a site run by him? Is there a reason besides you not knowing how to host a wiki?

Matthew Long
Matthew Long

What? Bananafish was a cool dude, and the Install Gentoo Wiki was not the only service run by Install Gentoo. He has full accountability, his last edit was replying to a talk in December 2018. He's just gone quiet on the wiki.

Parker Turner
Parker Turner

So he is MIA, got it.

Luis Watson
Luis Watson

Can you please answer:
Is there a reason besides you not knowing how to host a wiki?

Caleb Ross
Caleb Ross

What is the point of me making a new wiki when there already is one

Andrew Watson
Andrew Watson

What about ripping the wiki instead and host it somewhere else?

Jeremiah Roberts
Jeremiah Roberts

One thing at a time. First, are you able to host your own wiki?

Chase Turner
Chase Turner

No, I don't have the ability to host my own servers atm. What does it matter

Owen Davis
Owen Davis

Because it is easier to self-host then to handle someone who is MIA for 3 months.

Adam Nelson
Adam Nelson

Thanks, that explains it. I recommend you read up on it, it's really not hard at all.

It would be trivial if you don't care about history. Even with history it would be easy. Would be nice to switch to a Markdown wiki with IP hashes instead of usernames while you're at it.

Brody Thomas
Brody Thomas

I did not start this thread to say we need a new wiki. I completely disagree with that notion. I think we need to begin actively editing it again.

Joseph Lopez
Joseph Lopez

I understand why you started the thread. You need to understand why people stopped editing in the first place. A wiki is a good idea, but not this one (though its content should be reused).

Grayson King
Grayson King

People stopped editing because of an active spam problem caused the admin to resort to closing all accounts. The issue has since been resolved

Dylan Perez
Dylan Perez

You need to understand why people stopped editing in the first place.
No one, or very few people, go to the install gentoo wiki, plan on editing, then decide not to because they would need to use a pseudonym. Still very few people will be turned off by having to learn a new formatting language while being handheld, or use a visual editor. If people aren't contributing, it's because they don't see it as a valuable resource, or because they don't think they have anything to contribute.

Easton Thompson
Easton Thompson

Alright, let me put it like this: I used to contribute, and stopped because of the need for a pseudonym and lack of explicit assurance from admins. If someone from Zig Forums created a wiki, copied content from installgentoo, actively administered it and ideally solved the pseudonym problem, I would contribute again.

Sounds like you think you understand users of that wiki better than me, so I'll let you heed or disregard that as you will. Maybe some lurkers will chime in to agree/disagree.

Aiden Hill
Aiden Hill

I read the installgentoo wiki from time to time. I think it's qt. I don't think """we""", whoever that is, need a new wiki. That's silly! The admin(s) of installgentoo have _proven_ themselves faithful to host it and respect the hard work of faithful Zig Forumsnicians and /g/entlemen alike. I think the fact it's /g/'s wiki with Zig Forums tacked on is because a few years ago the Zig Forums of today was /g/, and the /g/ of today was like some disptopian nightmere. I, for one, look forward to contributing new content and breathing some life into this wiki.

I especially always loved the moves section. I think I've watched them all (couldn't make it thru videodrone) and have some ideas of what to contribute in that area.

Grayson Reed
Grayson Reed

Make an account. I added a lot of films to that section. You should see all my edits

Charles Brooks
Charles Brooks

You should see all my edits
Lay off the self shilling, user. It makes me want to punch your genitalia with my shoe.

Leo Lee
Leo Lee

Anyway, we have an official wiki and none of you are taking part in it.
Because it's dead
And it's 4chan's, not this shithole's

John Garcia
John Garcia

It's also literally not official, as officially it's the /g/ wiki.

Camden Roberts
Camden Roberts

No, they changed their name from /g/ wiki to The Install Gentoo Wiki when Zig Forums came around. It's literally in this board's sticky

Ryder Gonzalez
Ryder Gonzalez

Yes I think the weebshit redditard faction should fuck off from the wiki. Please make your own and we can go back to /g/wiki

Camden Brooks
Camden Brooks

Allow anonymous editing would lead to spam, but I would rather deal with it in post with good moderation.

I won't say it is self-shilling but you are trying to resuscitate the dead here.

This, WE breathed new life into it, and WE own the wiki.

Sebastian Adams
Sebastian Adams

Stop trying, nobody is going to fill in your shitty wiki.

Luis Gray
Luis Gray

check the sticky, prove me wrong

Chase Lopez
Chase Lopez

se7en
all you do is larp all day

Jacob Carter
Jacob Carter

and the /g/ of today was like some disptopian nightmere CoC-sucking pozfest*
ftfy user.

Adam King
Adam King

Howso?

Jonathan Allen
Jonathan Allen

Wiki seems to be down?

David Smith
David Smith

works for me™

Liam Garcia
Liam Garcia

What if you take submitions to the wiki through posts here in Zig Forums and maybe /g/? You could have anonymous submitions and some users/mods who take them and add them to the wiki, thus filtering spam and intentional missinformation.
Is that possible or just a really retarded and overcomplicated way of doing things?

Thomas Myers
Thomas Myers

If I host a wiki for us, would any of you faggots actually contribute to it?

Bentley Green
Bentley Green

Here's my contribution:
How to recover a single text file you accidentally rm'd

If you have accidentally deleted or otherwise damaged your valuable and irreplaceable data and have no previous experience with data recovery, turn off your computer immediately (Just press and hold the off button or pull the plug; do not use the system shutdown function) and seek professional help. It is quite possible and even probable that, if you follow any of the steps described below without fully understanding them, you will worsen your situation.

oh yeah and install gentoo

Gabriel Campbell
Gabriel Campbell

did mods delete my reply or something? I replied to this thread yesterday and it's _gone_.
anyway we need a new wiki, just copy over all the current content and start a matrix server for editor discussion.

Robert Reed
Robert Reed

idgaf about the wiki but I do miss the ftp.

Brayden Ross
Brayden Ross

This, WE breathed new life into it, and WE own the wiki.
Whoever has the admin password, owns the wiki. Whoever owns/pays for the server owns it even more. Why can't you understand this?

Hasn't he been one of the groupies in their IRC cabal for years now? Sure sounds familiar.

Possible but requires effort and nobody running this project gives enough of a fuck. Also instead of doing it manually, we could just set up a username-less wiki and skip that step entirely.

I'll contribute too:

How to improve programming productivity

Programming is highly demanding on the brain therefore you must ensure optimal blood flow and brain activity. One simple exercise can be very helpful for this. Perform these steps at the beginning of your programming session, and take breaks to repeat as needed: First, stretch by standing upright and bending down at the waist. Aim to touch your toes or grip the backs of your knees. Next, sit down and bend again slowly. As you adjust to the bent down position begin to slowly lean forward more and more. You will need to stimulate the high circulation organ - after you have become an experienced programmer the organ will become conditioned to become stimulated on its own as you begin this exercise, but if you are new you may need to warm it up a little with your fingers or tongue. Once the organ is fully stimulated, proceed to insert into your mouth and suck vigorously. You should imagine yourself slurping on a very thick milkshake through a straw. Continue until you feel the spike in brain activity, which also tends to trigger a salty taste sensation in the mouth. Happy programming!

Juan Foster
Juan Foster

OP made three threads. Make sure you didn't post in one of the others. Then make sure to call OP a massive faggot.

Carson Murphy
Carson Murphy

I am not in the Install Gentoo IRC.

Isaac Barnes
Isaac Barnes

Instead of a Wiki, why not just have an FAQ thread? Posts instead of articles. OP post can be a table of contents that gets edited. People can request for their old posts to be deleted so they can post revisions. There's nothing stopping you from writing up a howto post on Zig Forums.

Parker Peterson
Parker Peterson

yeah one of the Zig Forums irc and he's a total larper who can't be bothered looking into a VPS but screams very loudly whenever someone runs 'his' shitty fosstard content geocities website

John Robinson
John Robinson

What are you talking about? I can't afford a VPS atm and do not have the means to self-host presently. What are you talking about when you say "screams about people running his shitty GeoCities website"

Gabriel Murphy
Gabriel Murphy

I can't afford a VPS atm
Ask your mom for money. VPSs are cheap.
do not have the means to self-host presently
If you can connect to the internet you can selfhost. unless you get cucked by your ISP

Juan Edwards
Juan Edwards

Here, I made a Wiki for you

wiki.cloveros.ga

I can offer mysql database dumps at regular intervals and it's licensed creative commons zero (public domain), enjoy.

Jonathan Collins
Jonathan Collins

Fuck off back to the IRC circle jerk.

Adrian Ortiz
Adrian Ortiz

Not that it is any of your business, but I am not a 15 year old skid who lives with his mommy

Angel Morales
Angel Morales

are you serious about running a wiki? It sounds like you are leaving it hands-off. I don't see it going down but it would be good to have an active wiki administrator who isn't just the web master.

Also, if we're gonna do this why not also put up a matrix/riot server to coordinate assembling the wiki.

Landon Peterson
Landon Peterson

I'm going to make my pages on there and do some configuration, so I'm going to end up doing some basic Wiki administrative work.

I actually wanted to make a Wiki for the same reason I wanted to make CloverOS - to make hard things easy. I just didn't have the time to do it before.

Gavin Walker
Gavin Walker

could you make a copy of the existing IG wiki to start us off?
mediawiki.org/wiki/Exporting_all_the_files_of_a_wiki

Nolan Carter
Nolan Carter

You can copy articles by copying/pasting the source.

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=GNU/Linux&action=edit

I plan on just outright remaking some of these articles.

Zachary Bell
Zachary Bell

if you are going to go through with this (which I don't recommend) I suggest you follow the mediawiki bulk-download feature.

Noah Sanders
Noah Sanders

I am the founder of The Liquid Crystal Generation, a lifestyle ideal that I am the only member of so far (heh heh).
cringe

Isaac Phillips
Isaac Phillips

W/e.

Julian Evans
Julian Evans


2019-04-03 19:30:43 ~se7en Well, tritonium, uploading the inux shit that was alread there is a good starting point for further editing
2019-04-03 19:30:56 ~se7en Rather than having 1 or 2 articles to begin written by randos
2019-04-03 19:30:58 ~tritonium sure
2019-04-03 19:31:18 ~se7en I really think you should upload an archive of the old wiki, Jesus
2019-04-03 19:31:22 ~se7en Just as a starting point
2019-04-03 19:31:40 ~tritonium might as well include just general extra shit that people can use on linux
2019-04-03 19:31:46 ~tritonium stuff that would be fun
2019-04-03 19:31:57 ~tritonium various server setups
2019-04-03 19:32:23 ~tritonium just home projects people can do with their shitboxes running linux
2019-04-03 19:32:35 ~Jesus if you want a starting point, get the useful articles from there, click source, copy it, paste it into a new article
2019-04-03 19:32:45 ~Jesus wikipedia syntax is universal
2019-04-03 19:33:00 ~tritonium cool
2019-04-03 19:33:27 ~se7en Jesus: but what about the images and templates missing
2019-04-03 19:33:37 ~se7en There were a lot of significant images contributed
2019-04-03 19:34:41 ~se7en I've uploaded images too, which will be lost to the new wiki
2019-04-03 19:36:30 ~se7en It is also what the thread wants, Jesus
2019-04-03 19:37:11 ~Jesus i thought that thread was just you
2019-04-03 19:38:33 ~Jesus also i'm not aiming to replace installgentoo
2019-04-03 19:38:47 ~Jesus I'm going to put a few useful articles on there
2019-04-03 19:39:00 ~Jesus i don't have any intention of mirroring that site
2019-04-03 19:39:54 ~se7en It's not mirroring
2019-04-03 19:40:06 ~tritonium just make it cloveros exclusive
2019-04-03 19:40:09 ~se7en It's adding the current version of installgentoo, then editing from there
2019-04-03 19:40:17 ~se7en Then what's the point, tritonium
2019-04-03 19:40:33 ~tritonium yeah
2019-04-03 19:41:04 ~Jesus honestly, fuck /g/
2019-04-03 19:41:11 ~se7en It's not just /g/

What's the point then

Jordan Sanchez
Jordan Sanchez

which IRC channel is this? I want to join.

Nathaniel Thomas
Nathaniel Thomas

It's the #cloveros channel on rizon

Jaxon Campbell
Jaxon Campbell

Why do you like to attention fag so much. I hope to someday stop seeing your name.

Camden Roberts
Camden Roberts

I am not an attention whore, I was replying to a comment made about myself. I did not start this thread to attentionwhore.

Lucas Cox
Lucas Cox

gets mad at devuan
larps all day
can't rent a VPS
sucks his own thumb and eats chicken tendies as his own spare time
thread is about how to larp and larp and larp some more
yep, you are a whore.

Owen Flores
Owen Flores

no u

Nathaniel Richardson
Nathaniel Richardson

Really, I never got mad at Devuan. If you are talking about the april fools day thread, I only copied emails I received from the ML. I can not rent a VPS because I don't have money to spare nor a method of E-Commerce. I am not a NEET and am actively looking for new work.

thread is about how to larp and larp and larp some more

What the hell does this mean

Will you please stop derailing this thread to yell at me and start talking about my actual fucking thread topic?

Connor Morgan
Connor Morgan

But you have inserted your person into the thread topic. You're even talking about your apparently known presence in another thread. You seem to be trying to create some kind of e-persona to constantly show off. Believe it or not, there is already a site for this purpose. and you should go back to it

Isaac Gonzalez
Isaac Gonzalez

I am not. The only reason my name appears in the Devuan April Fools Thread is due to me copying an email from the ML verbatim. I am, in no way, attempting to make some kind of E-Persona. I link my user account in the OP because I was the only one actively editing the wiki.

Now, please stop derailing this thread

John Gomez
John Gomez

I've been seeing you around this board for years.
Now please, you know where to go back to

Justin Taylor
Justin Taylor

Because I've used this board for years, and others have linked my articles on my old blog when it was still up

Andrew Wilson
Andrew Wilson

Sorry, but it's never anyone else. No one else cares.

Eli Ramirez
Eli Ramirez

Bump.

Xavier Powell
Xavier Powell

why are you bump

Attached: 2019-04-07-161429-1138x649-scrot.png (193.56 KB, 1138x649)

Sebastian Davis
Sebastian Davis

why are you bump
Because no one has begun editing the wiki, now has a consensus reached on if we should make a new one.

Josiah Powell
Josiah Powell

we should make a new one.
We should
OP's whines inspired me

Luke Roberts
Luke Roberts

Am I looking at this wrong, or are you running screen, inside an ssh session, inside screen?

Cooper Richardson
Cooper Richardson

same. OP may be a fag but we need the initiative.

Samuel Morris
Samuel Morris

I have been a Linux user since 2012. I've tried most of the distros. I'm not sure why the obsession with Gentoo here.

Anyone want to elaborate on this?

Reasons I like Debian / Ubuntu. Upstream support. Many people use it. Devs are easy to talk to and get an answer besides "Google it" or "it works on my machine".

Not trying to troll just really curious why Gentoo?

Attached: ubuntu.png (9.35 KB, 512x512)

James Sanchez
James Sanchez

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

Jason Rivera
Jason Rivera

1. Maximum freedom: microarchitecture, libc, init and stuff like LibreSSL coming slowly but surely
2. USE flags are the best
3. Performance ricing feels nice
4. Portage is very nice and ebuilds are easy to write
5. If you count the official overlays, probably the biggest repos there are out there

William Morris
William Morris

It's ironic.
brb writing a wiki page on obvious jokes

Aaron Hill
Aaron Hill

No, you should not "install gentoo." You should install a real operating system like Mezzano or save up until you can afford a Symbolics machine. Go outside, cut some wood, go on the usenet (if you weenies can even figure that out) and talk with some real programmers. Even the Multics CPU Simulator will do in a pinch: I do all my programming and posting from inside there and treat the UNIX brain damage that is Ubuntu as a glorified bootloader and hypervisor for multiple Multics mainframe simulators at once.


Do with food address space of one they have prevented just by having
creatures ran and returned (they may be, but god knows they four
living creature way went.

And the wheel in my diet. I bough 99.9997 perfectly a poor little
Microvax 3, with his for cheese addiction usability, all with MMDF,
often send you half-complete messages? Ever where upon they were
lifted upward; two wings.

And I lost unices, behold one wheel in the cloud instal, stretched 260
pound blocks of king Jehoiachin's captivity, The think paging is than
a new program hereof came the earth, the wheels and applications,
which was that today I have plenty of bugs that side: and their rings,
likeness of the appearance of a lion, on their appearance of firmament
were a whirlwind came out of the terrible crystal, stretched 260 pound
blocks of raindamage for weighed 260 pound about how it takes the
newly copies-, as it were all those from the earth, they four of a flash
of lightness of the midst the point of this is the notion of lamps: it were
the appearance of fire went, I heard to write an elaborate weenie
dunking on Lisp as those went, there was in their faces and
applications, which covered on the day of bugs than a mail me now.
Together, no matter one structures, the month, the wheels.

It's their meme languages from the terrible crystalled like they stood, and
this was the appearance; they have been, to hypnosis my cheese
addiction.

Brody Torres
Brody Torres

Telephone's with the botnet running around. Mips and the Frainkenstein Radio Controls on the dark side of the moon.


From: [email protected] (James "Kibo" Parry)
Subject: Spot Story (was: The Dead Email Society)
Newsgroups: alt.religion.kibology, alt.atheism, alt.mega-ego.yonderboy
Followup-To: alt.religion.kibology
Organization: welcome datacomp
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 08:57:14 GMT
X-Battlestar-Galactica-Date: 9581 centons, 71 microns, .04 mugars
X-Kibo-Equipment: a distributed Lego robot (distributed by accident)

In [alt.religion.kibology, alt.atheism, alt.mega-ego.yonderboy]
[email protected] (Lupus Yonderboy) wrote:
|
| Thus spake [email protected] (Gully Foyle):
| |
| | [email protected] (Matt McIrvin) wrote:
| | >
| | > You forgot "Do not tell me to read the FAQ-- I am here to be entertained
| | > by you, not to go read a bunch of pretentious explanations!" and "If you
| | > do not believe in God it means you really believe he exists because
| | > otherwise you wouldn't have anything not to believe in!"
| |
| > Congratulations for dispelling any doubt that you are a moron, you've
| > saved us a great deal of time and uncertainty. If only all kooks who
| > come to this NG were so thoughtful.
|
> Come to Kibology! Now at half-off the newsstand price!

But it's only good for only a limited time only! If time proves to be
eternal, Kibology will self-destruct to prevent you from enjoying it after
9999 A.D., the year that will REALLY break God's DOS box!

> Kibology provides:
> * Doubtless Morons
> * Thoughtful Kooks
> * Kooky Thoughts

(Kibo begins to go-go dance with flowers painted all over his body.
Suddenly he stops and the camera zooms in on what is painted on his
stomach:

"MAKE CROSS-POSTS NOT WAR")

Ba ba bappa ba!

> * In-jokes
> * Out-jokes
> * Spankings
> * Allowedness

And all owedness!

Scientology joke: "Your owedness just ran over my lochness."

And here's another Scientology joke: "Why did the orange cross the road? To
eat hexagonal television pants!"

NOW COMPARE THESE KIBOLOGY JOKES AND $AVE!

Kibology joke: "Why did the orange cross the road? To eat hexagonal
television pants AND KILL BOB HOPE!"

It's got AS MUCH HUMOR as the Scientology joke... PLUS it rids your home of
UNSIGHTLY BOB HOPE!

> And at no extra charge:
> * Tab damage! (too cheap to meter)

It used to be a double spondee. With jimmies. That go down the conveyor
belt to the annealing vat, where the Bessemer process Vulcanizes them. But
little Jimmie doesn't need to know that! All he needs to know is that our
rubber vomit arrives fresh from our factory to his kitchen floor! "Plotz!"
That's the sound of progress!

this is what you sound like

Oliver Parker
Oliver Parker

with gentoo you compile your whole (or most) of your system utilities and programs to match what you want. Do you want to compile with language localization, with certain cpu flags, compile programs with certain attributes (include qt5 but not gtk)? then you use gentoo.
Of course compiling everything is not fun (especially if you have low spec) so some guy made CloverOS and shills it on half and infinity chan.
ignore the troll, if people ignored his posts threads wouldn't be derailed so much

Ayden Turner
Ayden Turner

I was hard-core into gentoo when I first started getting into linux and programming and it probably set me back two years with all its bullshit.
Now that I'm a bit older I seriously believe its the most brain-dead operating system ever invented.
Its essentially a distro based on GNU autotools, which is similiaraly effected by this mind virus.
The intention of its developers is to add as much unecessary complexity with no rationale other than to be meta as possible and account for ever possible permutation of a broken modern unix system.
gentoo makes me realize how much I hate GNU/linux compared to BSD or even plan 9.

Have you ever realized how many fucking regex engines are there? like, anything more complex than basic regex should be handled by the super-language (perl, python, c, sed, etc.) but instead every language and editor uses their own braindead engine while ignoring the libc version.
Oh, but I can set my preference for widget toolkits for the three programms that support QT, GTK2, and GTK3.
And what if I want to manually specify options to ./configure that aren't available through USE FLAGS?
I only want to customize a handful of applications, not every single package in the linux ecosystem.
gentoo basically makes you into a distro developer/maintainer without actually realizing it or having to make well informed decisions.
its a mircale that any gentoo system works and thinking about modifying one gives me nightmares (like, installing an alternative GCC/glibc).

slackware devs were honest enough to realize linux is boiling shit but tolerable if you don't stir the pot.

plan 9 I can compile the entire system in about 10 minutes, it takes me 20 minutes just to go through menuconfig for linux (ps. I never get it right the first time).
I'm not against source packaging, BSD does it much better even if it still uses autotools.

I felt like giving it a try again last night, installed it in about two hours then I realized how much it felt like I was working for the computer so I deleted it.
I didn't feel like I was learning anything about operating system, unix, linux, or system administration, but rather to deal with the pedantic overbearing configuration requirements.
Most people who install gentoo the first time will copy the wiki verbatim, why not include half that shit in the stage-3 and just make installation a matter of extracting the tarball, run a script, copy the installer's kernel, then install boot loader.
I realize I haven't made a coherent argument against gentoo, but rather a collection of gripes, but thats what gentoo is -- a collection of horseshit that only masochistic and naive people put themselves through and endlessly try to find justifications for.

The microseconds you gain from making binaries slightly smaller is way offset by the hours you waste trying to find ways to trim the "fat".

Attached: 093aa1cf300af240e40aea3e1f9a455d941a5e1122d0f0d165ebf29b3b328976.jpg (71.33 KB, 1024x700)

Jacob Butler
Jacob Butler

I felt like giving it a try again last night
I have the cure for this. Install LFS once, all the way to getting X working.
I guarantee you will never be tempted again.

Adrian Lewis
Adrian Lewis

the hours you waste trying to find ways to trim the "fat".
Some people lay around watching television or spend all their evenings at parties talking to people about nothing. As far as hobbies go, system improvement isn't the worst one to have. Once you realize that every shortcut you take still leaves you miles ahead of the major distros, you can get a system up and running very quickly.

Ethan Hughes
Ethan Hughes

Some people lay around watching television
Yes but they don't recommend you to solve every problem by watching more TV and they don't berate you for not watching more TV. If you're going to claim gentoo is your hobby, then be prepared to accept that it's basically a waste of time and you are mainly doing it for your own subjective enjoyment.

Fair complaints but so what? Windows and OS X are botnet. Every other OS doesn't have basic software. Linux is the best option, shit as it is.

Most people who install gentoo the first time will copy the wiki verbatim, why not include half that shit in the stage-3 and just make installation a matter of extracting the tarball, run a script, copy the installer's kernel, then install boot loader.
It's trying to teach you how to do it so that maybe next time you won't copy/paste and will be able to do things the wiki or installscript couldn't have covered.

How can you not afford $7/month for a VPS? How can you not afford $200 for your own machine? How do you not even have a spare computer lying around? If you are so destitute, what do you even have to offer?

Brayden Gray
Brayden Gray

Do we have a wiki yet? I want to write an article about clean code.

The ideal number of arguments for a function is zero.

Brody Bell
Brody Bell

The ideal number of arguments for a function is zero.
that is not a function.
unless you're implied implied arguments on a global structure, which is not clean code.

Mason Foster
Mason Foster

durr what are class variables not counting as arguments because of syntax?

Liam Young
Liam Young

The ideal number of arguments for a function is zero.
That's a procedure retard. A function is a relation between an input and an output in which each input has a unique output. If there is no input, it's not a function.

Liam Garcia
Liam Garcia

You can use gentoo as a non-hobby. Just like you can use television to get the news, or go to social events to try and find a better job. When used for tinkering, then of course gentoo wastes your time, that was the goal. When used in a get-shit-done way, it is unironically the most productive OS.

Andrew Brown
Andrew Brown

But your greentext said the opposite. According to that guy, it is not productive because you spend hours to save microseconds.

"Procedure" is just ad hoc terminology. If you want to be really anal about it, all argument-free functions f()=U are (mathematically) in fact functions of one argument f(x)=ax+U where a=0. Same logic can be applied to programming functions as well.

How will you pass them input, then? Are you just shilling class methods like claims?

Eli Morgan
Eli Morgan

is just ad hoc terminology
No, procedure or subroutine is the correct terminology.
in fact functions of one argument f(x)=ax+U where a=0
Now you want to define addition with numbers for every data type in your language? What a mess. What's next? Are you going to start saying that variables are now functions too?

Joshua Adams
Joshua Adams

oy vey that's not clean code
See this is why we need a wiki. In order to educate these people out of their coder echo chambers. Read a book you plebs.

One input argument is the next best thing to no arguments.
SetupTeardownIncluder.render(pageData) is pretty easy to understand.

Kayden Carter
Kayden Carter

Now you want to define addition with numbers for every data type in your language?
Are you perhaps retarded? I was just pointing that mathematically, "procedures" are just a special case of functions. Because you said
If there is no input, it's not a function.
which is wrong.

Are you going to start saying that variables are now functions too?
This is what variables are in functional languages. There's no actual difference.

Dominic Carter
Dominic Carter

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Oliver Ross
Oliver Ross

yea this was why i switched to cloveros, i'm downloading packages at 200mbit downloading from every mirror simultaneously

Attached: 2019-04-15-101605-1366x768-scrot.png (146.47 KB, 1366x768)

Jordan Allen
Jordan Allen

I understand this and I'm looking for alternatives.
Is Portage as easy to use as APT or YUM?
I'm not joking. I've been an Ubuntu / Debian user since I started. I've only occasionally used OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.

Fuck it I'm going to try out Gentoo. Can't fucking hurt.

Luke Murphy
Luke Murphy

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs

Sebastian Reed
Sebastian Reed

Gentoo is indeed the meta distribution, of course it's going to be more complex. If you're okay with others choosing what init or libc you must use (this includes the BSDs), fine, but don't go all "muh oldfag cred" over us. The advantages I listed are real, but the two real reasons are: I can escape the freedesktop braincancer "easily" and it's simply less worse than other GNU/Linux distros.

BSDs
Every BSD has major turnoffs:
Free
SJWland and has no clear vision except "we want to be like GNU/Linux!" with the same bloat.
Open
Python tier about ignoring performance issues and its port tree makes Debian stable look bleeding edge. Other issues like GPL kiddie hatred and lack of FS at least as good as XFS.
Net
Nice but lacks a modern FS.
Dragonfly
Currently very WIP (aarch64, hammer2, ravenports, etc...) and lacks µarch support, but very promising.
Honestly, I'm looking at the last two more and more, but it's hard to justify leaving Linux and its generally higher performance level. Especially since only Dfly's synth and soon ravenports look like a worthy Portage replacement.

Plan 9
Come on, mate. Like everyone here, I think it should have replaced UNIX, as it was supposed to, but it's dead and buried now. Don't cling to some tranny loving shitposter club for you OS needs.

Samuel Cooper
Samuel Cooper

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Ayden Mitchell
Ayden Mitchell

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

John Brooks
John Brooks

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Matthew Gonzalez
Matthew Gonzalez

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Gabriel Gonzalez
Gabriel Gonzalez

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Luke Morales
Luke Morales

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Dominic Bennett
Dominic Bennett

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Jack Ward
Jack Ward

Schizophrenia is one hell of a drug.

Colton Butler
Colton Butler

DAILY REMINDER THAT BRENTON TARRANT WAS A MASONIC JEWISH/ZIONIST PSYOPS

Landon Bailey
Landon Bailey

Whatcha sliding MOSHE?

Joseph Bailey
Joseph Bailey

Schizophrenia is one hell of a drug.

Ryan Butler
Ryan Butler

Fuck you Masonic shills.

Jayden Gray
Jayden Gray

Fuck off moshe.

Isaac Bennett
Isaac Bennett

slowly doing these articles, gonna make larger edits tomorrow and do more articles the next day

wiki.cloveros.ga/ThinkPad

wiki.cloveros.ga/CloverOS_GNU/Linux

Thomas Perez
Thomas Perez

Is cloverOS basically just EZ-install gentoo?

Mason Hughes
Mason Hughes

This entire thread derailed to talk about Gentoo because of the name of the wiki? Wow.

Anthony Moore
Anthony Moore

I wrote a Fair and Balanced article on mpv wiki.cloveros.ga/Mpv

Colton Jenkins
Colton Jenkins

I'm gonna write an article on corporate it project management. Stay tuned nerds

Michael Anderson
Michael Anderson

Install guix should be new meme
Gentoo's obsession is choice.
The fact you can remove poetterware was enough bait for me to switch

Henry Kelly
Henry Kelly

Holy fuck you suck at your job

Caleb Phillips
Caleb Phillips

they are shit compared to the InstallGentooWiki

Jordan Scott
Jordan Scott

yes, everything premade

Landon Brooks
Landon Brooks

If you can connect to the internet you can selfhost.
You're right, if 8ch can be run on a sub-1Mbit/s upload speed, so can my website. Thanks for giving me the confidence I needed, user.