What the heck is with this trend of taking a modern computer and using it solely to emulate a 40 year old...

What the heck is with this trend of taking a modern computer and using it solely to emulate a 40 year old microprocessor? It's just a damn pi every time. It would be interesting to see a retro-style console made from actual hardware, but this? Even chink hackers are more ambitious than these 'makers' and their pi shit when they make their plug'n play consoles.

Attached: super_retro_boy_details_thumb800.jpg (800x510, 45.15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/
arduboy.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's primarily for the
retards who don't understand how to emulate and haven't touched a single Game Boy game other than Tetris and Pokemon Red.

What annoys me the most is that games like Doom and Duke Nukem3d used to be very amazing games running on very shitty hardware and that today nobody bothers making the equivalent. Imagine if the devs from .kkrieger decided to make a full game that would run on a pi.

Normalfags want to play a few NES games so they can brag about how retro they are, but they're too tech-illiterate to install emulators (emulation sounds like one of those scary technical terms, which in the mind of the normalfag means it's some kind of dark magic that only "computer people" are allowed to comprehend) so instead they pay some guy $50 to do it for them. It's no coincidence that most of these are shilled endlessly on reddit and kikebook.

The reason that level of optimization and utilization isn't happening anymore is because the cost and time to develop such a game increases exponentially with each new generation of hardware

It is not even a good console if you want to be legit and play cartridges, as you all know is they are just probably shitty ARM chips and running bad inaccurate emulators. Only thing I can think of that strives for accuracy is the Analogue Nt has a custom FPGA which is super accurate on a hardware level, but that costs a ton and is always sold out.

Looking up, looks like that "Super Retro Boy" was going to go for $80 before they postponed it, but a smart person who wants to play actual carts might just get a used GBA SP for $40 or something, and then maybe a flash cart. Retard nerds will just buy a shitty chinese box with a shitty ARM soc in it to play it once or twice and then have it be a shelf ornament while they instead play shitty indie walking simulators or pozzed AAA crap.

Of course, I'm just preaching to the choir here.

Are actual original Gameboy/GBC/GBAs really getting that hard to come by nowadays? Last I checked you could still buy an original GB in good condition for like 50 bucks but that like 10 years ago At this point you really should just emulate, emulating the original Gameboy/Gameboy Color/Gameboy Advanced is a solved game and cycle accurate emulators for these consoles run on a fucking toaster

Attached: 10928847_1542113199407234_74315882650777205_n.jpg (346x250, 11.2K)

Can confirm. My brother told me he was contemplating buying an old GameBoy at the flea market. When I asked him why he would want to play on such a shitty screen his response was he didn't want to play it, he just wanted to have an original GameBoy. I could sort of understand it if it was some nostalgia thing, but the original GameBoy is older than even me, he has no nostalgia for that thing.

Maybe people like collecting old stuff? Think about that bro? I bought a Commodore 64 even though that was before I was born and it's neat

There is also the children's market. I crack all my own devices and my primary handheld is a PSP stocked full of emulators. I bought a cheap handheld device for a child recently so he could play NES games on the go. It's a simple to use device and it doesn't matter if it got broke.

Attached: DriveDriverSmile.png (549x339, 388.19K)

store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

Dusk uses a modern engine and does it poorly.

One of it's creators previously made games for Anti-fa and put them on steam. You fucking kike.

I'm kind of flabbergasted, and a bit disappointed, that you, nor anybody here, didn't mention ArduBoy.
It's fun, it's unique, it's Open Source, it's made with Arduino (the Italian Pi), it's the size of your Credit Card, and it has hundreds of games you can download on it from various repositories (and make your own).

Not to mention all it's hundreds of games are all fun Open Source originals, or clones of games you already know.

At least it feels more convenient to me instead of the clichés, look it up yourself:
arduboy.com/

Attached: arduboy_credit_card_sized_handheld_game_console_3.jpg (600x600, 29.95K)

Nigger, hurrduino is nothing like Pi. It's a piece of shit made on top of 40 year old technology, complete with 8 bit CPU with low double digit MHz speeds, 2k of memory, tiny amount of GPIO pins, and virtually no support for modern data ports (this particular one supports 5 MB/s USB2, most of them don't even have that). And it's not even any cheaper than Pi.

1. That's exactly my point.
2. Enough about the Board, say something about the Gaming System, power doesn't matter when you have convenience.

It's not about a game looking old, it's about a game being well optimized and original.

Is there a market force that demands optimized games as opposed to as-soon-as-possible-therefore-not-optimized releases?

Most believe optimization is only for higher frame rates and better effects. The most common display is still 1080p which has been PC gaming standard for a decade by now and is trivial as a target resolution. But even though there's 1080p 240Hz monitors, Steam's hardware survey does not report refresh rates which would warrant optimization to reach.

At this point, it's even up for debate as opposed to a clear consensus (of 'no') as to whether or not to include denuvo in a game.

most of us aren't soyboys and have actual human-sized hands though

Attached: Sinful Hand.png (192x286, 18.8K)

A properly-programmed, well-optimized game will naturally feel better than the Unity and Unreal trash that currently permeates the market. There is, however, very little market force that seems to go against hiccups, input lag, non-determinism, low framerates and using n-times as many resources as necessary. It's sad that the entire industry now operates on the level of a child in the 90s messing around with Clickteam software like The Games Factory or MMF.

Because the original hardware isn't being made anymore, retard. It's cheaper to use modern hardware than old stock.

I get that. I really feel the effects since I have a 144 Hz monitor and recently looked at a 240 Hz monitor (which was $270 and a tempting deal), but the target framerate for a lot of games remains at 60 fps for the average hardware out there.

But even if I got that 240 Hz monitor and let any game company collect hardware stats so its a +1 vote for better optimized or higher frame rate standard games, they only publicize resolution.

This only leaves really older games where I'd get that high of a frame rate. Unless the suits have thought about it, and their solution is to tell people to wait 10 years for the game to be old enough to run at that kind of frame rate.

Capcom released 2 of the biggest games of the year with denuvo in them and made a killing. People say they don't want it but it's not reducing sales figures.

The monitor thing is a problem with always wanting more for no reason. a 1080p monitor is good enough for most things you're going to do. As you get bigger and bigger you lose screen space your eyes can see. Either you make the HUD huge which uses up space or you have it unreadable on top of these problems. It's a real problem no ones discussing

dont they have something like css for guis? then it could work on different screens just like modern websites do.

Who says you need to drink Faggot Silk to enjoy it?

And what are you doing with the C64? Are you actually using it or are you just hoarding it like an autistic dragon?

Most of them do but it doesn't solve the problem. If you eyes only focus on 75% of the screen the hud being bigger doesn't make you see it any better no matter how good the GUI is. If your health is on the left and ammo on the right you can't see both at once. If you jam it all in the middle you're taking up prime real estate on the monitor.

It's just blind consumerism demanding bigger and better screens which start to become unwieldy in reality. Same way people are now making stacks of monitors just so they can have discord open on one, facebook on another and lol on the third.

No shit it's old, but also proven.
Designs like the AVR are wayyyy more suited to drive embedded applications like servo control other than some bloated Pi. Pi is for multimedia. Arduino is for input processing.

the monitors are rarely that big. usually less than 27" but the resolution can be higher than it needs to be. some even have 4k screens in their tiny phones.

Because a lot of people don't want to carry their laptops around with them when they go to the DMV but still want to play games that aren't clash of cucks. Phone emulation is ok, but touch screens aren't ideal for controls, meaning you would also need to bring a Bluetooth controller along, and those have input lag. There's also the fact that most phones have shit battery life if you use them for anything other than listening to music or texts/calls. As far as I'm aware the app store also doesn't have any emulators either, so if you have an iphone you'd need to jailbreak it first (don't quote me on that.)

There are obviously ways around all these problems, but for most normies that don't want to learn how to do it, and want to emulate games, they would much rather shell out 50-100 bucks for something that's advertised as being easier. Instead of breaking out your phone, bluetooth controller, and power-brick, you can pull out a single dedicated device that looks like a gameboy and makes all your hipster friends think you're so cool and retro. Most of these dedicated emulators are meant for a very specific market. Autistic enough to want "high quality" emulation on the go, but lazy/stupid enough to not want to learn of how to do it properly.

Right because dropping $50 bucks so you can play snake and tetris cones on something with no real games or emulation ability sounds like a great idea. If it could handle snes/gba emulation I'd be more interested, until then you're better off with a smartphone or tablet.

Top kek

It's what helped get me into programming. Also it's really easy to record .tap files onto old cassettes if you have a cassette recorder and an auxiliary cable so I automatically have a library of hundreds of games and programs

So you are using it, good for you. My point was about people who want to own something just for the sake of owning it, not to actually use it.

240Hz vs 144Hz vs 60Hz is no joke.

Yeah, it's very sad that no one makes their own engines anymore. Games made with an in-house engine often have a lot more soul, even if the game itself is shit. I can often tell if a game was made in Unity or UE4 just by looking at a few screenshots, and games made in these engines also often have very similar physics even if you compare games of completely different genres.

Attached: MiSTer.jpg (800x616, 88.4K)

In-house doesn't even exist any more. Game creation is now using media libraries for everything from sound to character models. Devs go to 3d model online stores, grab the body size they want for 10 bucks and then retexture it as needed for the NPCs. For the playable characters they do motion capture and scan people's faces in then adjust them to work with the games art style.

Game development and CGI movie making is now almost the same thing production wise. There's very little creative work left which isn't level design (just use a real world map if it's open world) or fashion design (got to design those gold gun textures goy).

The majority of work left to do is rigging, textures (which also replaces a lot of modeling) and level design.

I agree with the children's market part.

Because FPGA is a marketing term to these people.

Not unless you're really big like Nintendo or Rockstar anyways

FPGA's are guarded by extreme IP kikes. Since the tech is so niche they have to protect their brand. Plus, there's no open source initiative like Arduino to bring these to the mainstream, so almost no one knows what they are.
Which is a shame because FPGA are 100000x better for microcontroller and input processing since you can do it in parallel.
Also Verilog has almost NO documentation and everything needs a 300 MB "development" suite from Xillinx/Intel to upload and design programs. It's like they deliberately made FPGA's hard to work with so the manufactures have a monopoly on their software. On Lattice's ICEsticks have an open source toolchain.

Attached: defe4604d411f912d678323cafcc5ffd2b66316ced572555d7b76bfeb7443003.png (744x536, 641.69K)

Not really sure what you're getting at. I'm a nodev, but from what I'm aware of, all FPGA vendors offer sub-$50 devkits that include complete software environments and full access to online documentation. I guess it would be nice if there were full-featured open source toolchains, but I doubt there's any reason to feel one needs a full race $5000 toolchain and professional support contract to slap together a retro gaming softcore.

Games don't even get finished before being released these days. What makes you think anyone would bother to optimize them?

just because you cant do binary arithmitic and simple sequential logic shit does not mean FPGA is out of your grasp. You can buy dev boards for sub 100$. Supply and demand. No one wants to learn FPGA because they cant script python on one. Arduino are pices of shit. They should have some sort of modern 32 bit ARM chip. You can learn way more on a STM board. Its what they actually use at colleges tH2jFHd teach. To be fair the dev environments for FPGA are bloated but they are far from unusable.

The FPGA boards themselves aren't the cost prohibitive part, the tool-chains are. Sure, there's a student version of Vivado (IIRC it's a limited time trial?), but that's about it. Thank god for project icestorm and verilator.

My point is that the development software was heavily bloated and proprietary, dullard. I have no problems doing sequential logic.

You're the only other person other person to talk about the Arduboy in this entire board, i also really like it.

50 bucks isn't that much, and you can make your own one for 12 dollars by getting the parts separately. Also you clearly don't know about the library of games it has.

Attached: 1 Game list .png (2074x866, 1M)