Arch Linux

Hey just wanted to know about your guys opinions. Is Arch good? Is it stable ? Is it secure ?

Attached: Arch-Linux-GNOME.png (1366x768, 35.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nixos.org/
gnu.org/software/guix/
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Acknowledgments.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs
sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes
yes
yes

it works, but is bloat and has systemd
yes
far better than many other distros as it gets quick updates ... but it still has systemd

in conclusion

Arch is good compromise. Techniclaly I prefer Gentoo and Alpine over Arch, but Arch is more convenient than these two.

when being compared to gentoo (or source distributions) no, but with binary distros somewhat ok. anything that is bleeding edge is always deemed to have more probability of being unstable, but still works so check package versions. it uses systemd as its init and the AUR is written by regular people, so if you have a keen eye your system should be secure.

but if you do use arch, do not fall into the trap of keeping your system 'minimal' or 'de-bloated'. unless you are running alpine or using a wm instead of a de you are wasting your damn time (this doesn't mean install crap like GNOME). also don't fall into the 'rice' meme, it is cool to have your computer customized but remember your pc is a tool and is meant for getting shit done not getting your rice config done

Install NixOS
nixos.org/

no
No, it's rolling.
It uses systemd and dbus by default along with all the redhat pozz. no

As a developer, I love Arch. It pretty much stays on the cutting edge all the time and has little of the SJW baggage of say, Debian.

Arch is a meme.

lmao
0/10 stopped reading here

7/10 stopped reading here

Didn't tried it yet, but
Probably not, because it is a binary-based distribution, doesn't have binary bootstrapping like Guix System does and packages are built in whatever environment with whatever compiler, not to mention systemd, which is a fucking Swiss cheese of security, because it is bloated and it's devs don't care about bugs.

Or Guix System. It is based on Nix but has some extra features like for example system-wide configuration in one language - GNU Guile.
gnu.org/software/guix/

In the sense of it being inspired and not in the sense that the Nix package manager is a base of the project.
Nix seems to do this for the most part. Sometimes you do have to do a DSL in strings, but for some packages you can do the whole thing in pure Nix and is a goal for the project. It's just that converting every programs config stuff into nix is a lot of work.

I second GuixSD over Nix. It just feels a lot better OOTB.

Well, actually they hard forked nix package manager. But hey, isn't that how free software works?
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Acknowledgments.html

Well what which OS would you suggest for a daily driver? Often have to use many packages. Don't have much specs on my laptop, to compile a lot of those programs.

Yes, only because it actually supports bleeding edge software development

No

Nothing is secure

Windows ME

Attached: 150622071435-windows-me-780x439.gif (780x439, 78.7K)

its like win2000 but with dos instead of nt

I use CloverOS GNU/Linux

Attached: 20190421_105033.jpg (3120x4160, 3.46M)

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs

Attached: laughing_jesus.jpg (920x1169, 223.74K)

more keks - the clover faggot doxxed himself
>>>Zig Forums13167302
>>>Zig Forums13167562

How do I NOT end up like that faggot?

sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/index.html
also don't be a fucking moron

Depends. But if you ask me, yes.
Not really, but enough if you update regularly.
It gets update so yes.

Windows and Intel microcode get updates too and it doesn't make it secure. Getting updates it not enough.

Getting random exif data without GPS isn't much of a dox.

He lives in Chippenham UK

It is a pretty decent dox, considering the correlation between two different sources he's managed to point out a connection between some cuckchan fag on Zig Forums and a cuckchan irc skid who shills his shitty gentoo stage4 on Zig Forums
Also this
he's an idiot.

Alright, apparently figuring out somebody at Chippenham is an 8channer counts as doxxing these days

"jesus", you're not fooling anyone.

Great distro, shit community.
Lame forum with ban happy mods, snarky, unhelpful IRC culture.