DVPNs

The global VPN market is estimated to be worth 23.6 billion in 2019 according to: statista.com/statistics/542817/worldwide-virtual-private-network-market/

However, using a commercial VPN has one key disadvantage: You have to trust the company to not keep any logs or spy on you in any other way.

There are currently several projects in crpyo trying to tackle this problem with dVPNs, the idea is very simple, you can rent out or buy bandwidth/IP addresses.

These are the three main players at the moment:

Mysterium: already has a working testnet for windows, mac and android. I routinely use it on windows and android and it works well. They were the first player in the market. Based on Ethereum.

Sentinel: They have a working version on testnet for windows, linux, mac and android. Also works really well. They also offer nodes connecting to tor for outgoing connections and are currently testing multihopping. Based on Cosmos.

Privatix: They are an existing VPN company (privatix.com is their page for their "normal" VPN) and they plan to bring over all their vpn users to their dVPN. Also working testnet on windows and linux. Also based on ethereum.

All three of them claim to be the first dVPN, however I think they are on the same level, all have working testnets, so the one that releases to mainnet first is not necessarily farther than the others.

Also all three can tap the market for residental IPs, which are currently very expensive (luminati.io/ is one of the leading providers and a residental IP costs 12.5 Dollar per GB with at least a 500 dollar per month commitment)

dVPNs will be able to beat both commercial VPN providers on price (because of more efficient market) and residental IP providers on price by a far margin. Also Netflix, Hulu,... lock most commercial VPNs because they come from datacenter IPs, they will not be able to do this with dVPNs, as some of them will be just normal residental IP addresses.

Attached: vpn-usage.jpg (960x684, 99.59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mysterium.network/
sentinel.co/
privatix.io/
web.archive.org/web/20070718094016/http://jadeserpent.i2p.tin0.de/tor-dc-nodes-2.txt
github.com/mysteriumnetwork
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The problem I see is the lack of unlimited bandwith, I use VPN's for torrenting and I also route all my internet traffic via one

Is your point that as you have to pay per bandwidth it might be more expensive than normal vpns?

I think it strongly depends what kind of IP you want to buy.

For torrenting or normal internet borwsing a data center based IP should be enough and they should be cheap as fuck. SO I expect them to be cheaper than current vpns even for very large amounts of traffic, simply because a VPN company has to pay their servers too but also their employees, office,... which is not included in the price of the dVPN.

If you need a residental IP (unblockable from netflix, ...) or for reliable scraping web pages or for testing,... that might be a bit more expensive.
But luminati.io charges 12.5 Dollar for GB traffic on a residental IP and there is still a market for that, so there the competitive price advantage of dVPNs will be much bigger I think.

Pretty sure I've seen this thread before, and it's just as unintelligible as the last time.

Had to use a proxy at an airport because they had fucking anti-torrenting measures in place.
So, proxy in (just for bittorrent)... torrents continue

I'm talking about a free proxy from the web btw

It really depends on your country, I was doing the same once until I had to pay a fine of 2000€.

The alternative would have been not paying 2000€ but going to court and I would have probably had to pay more if I had lost that case.

Germany is really tough in that regard,

Privatix, Mysterium and Sentinel are currently also free to use. When they are fully functional with payment implemented they should still be cheaper than expressvpn, nordvpn, purevpn,...

Also I forgot to give links:

mysterium.network/

sentinel.co/

privatix.io/

lol

Mysterium is NOT safe. Very early on they said that they'd rat "offenders" and criminals. They have built in ways to track people.
You citing Mysterium at all and saying you use their service made me way more skeptical of the bullshit you're trying to say.

A couple weeks ago deepdotweb posted a story about a software like that and within minutes I had already found a couple 0days which bypassed the protection of connecting to things like localhost. I posted them as a comment to the story, but as you probably know the site was seized.
Be careful if you plan to use software like this.

lmfao. Worse than assuming that tor isn't a honeypot.

reddit spacing

if Tor was such honeypot I would be rotting in federal jail

Tor is superior to VPN in every aspect. VPNs are honeypots promoted by evil companies that want to earn money on stupid people

Some people on this board vehemently defend VPNs despite their glaringly obvious flaws. I can only assume it's sheer retardation or personal financial investment. Either way their opinions should just be trashed

Because people find it easier to trust a central source then some random basement dweller's own nodes or the hundreds of cia owned nodes that can just use correlation attacks anyhow.

Tors kinda fucking hilarious too, most exit nodes have been made publicly listed and TOR browser itself will tell websites in it's own unique way that it is indeed TOR browser.
How else do you explain Zig Forums being able to ban all of tor? It's a set or proxies is it not? how is this possible?
Tor is fucking stupid, it doesn't work for ban evasion and it never worked for privacy.
It's designed to make you anonymous only within it's own boundaries. They know you use tor, they might not know what you do on it. But they know you use it which is good enough for them.
An ideal vpn/proxy/anonymous network would allow for ban evasion and not require identification of any sort.
The default shouldn't be to give out any identifying data at all. It shouldn't matter what browser your using or if you got some non standard addon installed, because that information should never leave your browser and make it to the website.
Except, for some fucking dumbass reason it does and the only thing tor does to prevent this is to make "everything the same" so everything basically tells them your using TOR.
Then you wonder why you get banned...

Tor sucks and i rather use a vpn i can ban evade with efficiently.

based

you should try /tv/ you will be able to understand that

lol

the blocklist services do it for free. they can abuse whois and such public listings so you then need a home ip to access sites that use the lists.

It's a relief to read someone who isn't shilling Tor like some kind of panacea.

web.archive.org/web/20070718094016/http://jadeserpent.i2p.tin0.de/tor-dc-nodes-2.txt

Tor's bandwidth requirements are substantial, and not free. I think it's a bit naive to think that volunteers are providing all of that while the NSA, with it's massive budget, provides none. I've never heard someone ever say "yeah, I run a Tor exit node from my server" because you'd have to be insane to associate your name or credit card with traffic that is 95% CP. Who could run that kind of server with no risk of prosecution? Oh, right. FBI, NSA and their contractors. By monitoring entry and exit nodes, correlational analysis isn't particularly difficult. I'd also be shocked if some or most end/entry nodes *aren't* injecting malicious packets into your traffic. Your browser is also almost definitely, incidentally or by design (chrome), leaking identifying information.

I would trust Tor to keep me anonymous from some sysadmins and maybe 3rd world governments. I would never do anything high risk with it. I don't even use Tor for anything other than browsing .onions.
If you want anonymity, you need to do a little more than just run some browser bundle from your house.

is better to use a personal VPS server? is it better than a vpn service?

I used to run my vpn like this for three years. No issues. Downside, you only get one IP.

can the vps host see your traffic and keep logs?

based

if it's over https it should not be able to see the content, but it can see what sites you connect to and all http traffic.

I think both Tor (it's not fucking TOR) and VPNs have their unique use cases.

But having a possibly multi-hop dVPN with each instance being hosted by another company/person sounds intriguing.

The problem is that people who make these criticisms of Tor never offer any alternative models for anonymity networks that wouldn't be prone to these exact same problems, or a different set of problems which are just as severe. There's never been a realistic model for a low-latency anonymity network isn't vulnerable to correlation attacks by NSA-level adversaries.

Just because Tor might be bad doesn't mean your shitty VPN service is any good, or that your hacked-together solution with self-hosted VPNs and Raspberry pis can outwit a global adversary. Maybe use that McDonald's wifi just in case.

Privacy has become an arms race of the people against governments.
Governments always win, except in meme wars.

This defeats the point of a VPN... is this true?

Tor is an acronym, guy.

I don't think that is true, do you have any proof for that?

>This defeats the entire point of a dVPN and their code can be checked on github.com/mysteriumnetwork so I'm pretty sure there is no way they can see or control in any way what someone uses the vpn for, as the servers are not even controlled by them.

corrected post:

I don't think that is true, do you have any proof for that?

This defeats the entire point of a dVPN and their code can be checked on github.com/mysteriumnetwork so I'm pretty sure there is no way they can see or control in any way what someone uses the vpn for, as the servers are not even controlled by them.

Still I like the anonymous approach of sentinel more, as they cannot be touched legally by anyone for providing an uncontrollable vpn service.

the name is based on an acronym, but it's still Tor