Terrorist PC: VIA edition

is VIA as botnet as Intel and AMD? It seems to not have ME/PSP
VIA is Taiwanese, not (((American)))

viatech.com/en/boards/mini-itx/epia-m920/
viatech.com/en/boards/pico-itx/epia-e900/
viatech.com/en/boards/pico-itx/epia-p910/
viatech.com/en/boards/mini-itx/
viatech.com/en/boards/

is it suitable for terrorist PC? If you were Osama bin Laden or Ted Kaczynski, what would you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

viatech.com/en/boards/pico-itx/epia-e900/
viaembeddedstore.com
viaembeddedstore.com/shop/boards/epia-m920/
mouser.com/ProductDetail/VIA/EPIA-M920-20Q
embeddedworks.net/empc680.html
embeddedworks.net/embeddedpc.html
cartft.com/en/catalog/gl/14
directindustry.com/prod/via-technologies/product-102767-992443.html
youtube.com/watch?v=jmTwlEh8L7g
youtube.com/watch?v=_eSAF_qT_FY
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
linux-sunxi.org/Buying_guide
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i dont know anyone who sells it

>viatech.com/en/boards/pico-itx/epia-e900/
UEFI is botnet

but some boards present on their page do not have UEFI

then find out

is VIA board suitable to develop bomb detonator?

why every time someone post in this thread and bump it, someone else is starting shitposting in other threads to drop this one to next page
(((who))) wants to hide this thread from us?

I was looking for this too. Can't find any sellers in the west.

But that piece of shit intel from 2012 has more GHz and 4 cores too.

What are you doing, running some electron app?

Windows. Even my laptop is quad core and not manufactured in 40nm.
Further reading just makes it obvious that this is just chinkshit just like the Elbrus CPUs from Russia aren't even available to Russians.

I'd use a 1 core 200mhz computer if it meant I'm supporting the rise of a less kiked anternative to telamdiv and israentel.

I have a single core 800MHz laptop and I wouldn't recommend using a 200MHz one.
800MHz is already slow enough.

viaembeddedstore.com
viaembeddedstore.com/shop/boards/epia-m920/
mouser.com/ProductDetail/VIA/EPIA-M920-20Q
embeddedworks.net/empc680.html
embeddedworks.net/embeddedpc.html

when buying such embedded PC, remember to choose x86 architecture if you plan to install x86 operating system and software. there is a lot of ARM boards too, if you prefer ARM architecture

everything used to work fine with much less. software really sucks now

At least people treated screen space better because they had none spare.
What you also forget is how everything was even slower and people were just used to it.

more shops
cartft.com/en/catalog/gl/14
directindustry.com/prod/via-technologies/product-102767-992443.html

you are well-trained goy, nigger. we don't give a fuck about GHz and cores, we give a fuck about botnet. your Intel shit is MOSSAD botnet that records everything and sends it to Tel-Aviv

Windows works fine on that VIA boards and they provide drivers for Win XP, Win 7, Win 8, Win 10
your laptop is botnet with Intel ME or AMD PSP backdoor

VIA is Taiwanese. That's safer than (((USA))). Compared to american botnet (Intel & AMD) it does not contain ME/PSP or equivalent botnet.

you did not specify architecture and model of your CPU
800MHz is not slow in quality OS and software and those VIA boards are multicore 1-2GHz

what are you talking about idiot? CPU performance has nothing to do with screen resolution. GUI is rendered using GPU, except on nigger OS like Windows 7
resolution on old PC was limited because of screen technology, not CPU performance. in games it was limited because of GPU performance, but in OS (rendering windows, menus) even old shit GPU can handle big resolution and plenty of windows

(((performance))) is a meme, dumbass

reminder that VIA boards are the way to escape ME/PSP botnet

Ted Kaczynski would use a pen and paper. He wouldn't touch any kind of computer, not even a 50 cent calculator.

this desu

they may need. dont you know how bloated those programs are and the dynamic javascript pages are very heavy too.

has anyone tried to port coreboot to those via boards? would be better than the stock proprietary bios that they come with.

You made a general statement about PCs and now you downplay it to CPUs.
Collision detection, pathfinding etc. always need lots of cpu cycles.
Or the number of enemies in a level etc. What developers make of it is another thing.
Pentium M
But videogames and videos and anything that needs some performance. Tried watching a 12 bit h265 anime on a dual core Intel and had occasional lag spikes. Can't imagine that running on a Pentium M.
I doubt you need anything but a graphics driver these days.
Rest is just placebo and doesn't perform better than builtin drivers.
No, I'm just stating price/performance and I'm not a consumerist who likes buying things. If this is worth it to you, go ahead buy it. I'm sure it's safer than the AMD/Intel-NSA monopoly.

Got one of these and it would be the perfect win9x machine if it wasn't for the HDA audio (no driver) and Chrome video (VESA driver only)

Attached: wyseass.jpg (1280x720, 126.85K)

this
why libreboot tranny and other FSF niggers try to debotnet such heavy botnet as (((Intel)))? Why not focus on something that is already only small botnet and need some work
in this case coreboot would give much, ME removal is not necessary as those boards do not have it

you said as if powerful PC is needed to have many windows, programs and high screen resolution which is false. old shit CPU and GPU can handle big screen resolution and 100 windows

you talk about geyms? I thought we are talking about productive tasks and windows, programs
there is plenty of quality old games you can play, if you want (((modern))) geyms you can buy a console, just don't connect it to internet or to your PC
or you can consider having two PC

it's fast
if you need faster, consider VIA board with VIA CPU

buy console

then don't use h265 but h264, it uses few times less CPU power. also, high resolutions are a meme, you don't need 1080p or better for anything. 720p is enough
inb4 muh I can see difference - I am not saying your eye can't see between 720p/1080p, I am saying it's meme and not necessary. when you watch a video, you should focus on the content, not how sharp pixels are. jews want you to think that 1080 is necessary and 720p is trash. then they will try to make you think that 4k is necessary and 1080p is trash. just so you buy new jewish shit

Intel-aviv offers 0 performance per price, because it's full botnet and is unsafe to use. if you don't use it, it offers 0 performance. and it cannot be used
only goys are willing to sell their souls to mossad just to get some benchmark points

there are other VIA boards, maybe they use something else

VIA cpus are unsafe, a debug mode was (((accidentally))) left accessible and user triggerable. This makes it very easy to enter it and plant a backdoor, there's the possibility that it's a botnet in itself too.

I would use one of my wives as a literal firewall and then get shot 50 times in the face.

I would not use a computer.

Via/s3 unichrome IGPs have a fully-featured 9x driver, as does their "vinyl"-branded audio chipsets. You can probably find a VIA C3/C7 board using those, but if all else fails an Athlon XP system using them would likely work. unfortunately, the Unichrome graphics are locked to 800x600/640x480 under linux

you should provide more details and sources on that claims
right now you look like CIA nigger shilling for (((Intel)))

why?

The driver didn't seem to recognize any of the other display modes the igpu was capable of, and may not be fully accelerated. I suppose I could have messed with xorg configs to try and make it work, but I was only running linux temporarily on that machine- and testing the onboard graphics was a complete afterthought. The TNT2 M64 worked just fine under nouveau however.

What are you doing here, then? Go back to reddit.

dont watch hd anime on that 1024x768 screen. its only a waste of resources.

higher works fine too. tho this was many years ago but idk why it would suddenly not work.

Attached: screenFetch-2015-06-02_02-47-11.png (1280x800, 59.63K)

I have an old Transmeta thinclient that runs Linux okay-ish. I have gentoo on it. Forget about heavy stuff like internet though. I use it as sort of a typewriter together with a needle printer. Most kiddos here probably don't remember Transmeta CPUs, they were VLIW cores that basically emulated x86 instructions on an abstraction layer, not unlike a VM. In my case it's 128-bit, but they also made 256-bit ones. The upside of that is that is that they were relatively simple and therefore pretty low-power (in the case of mine around P3 performance, with a small heatsink, for ~2000 that was not bad) the idea with these CPUs was that they weren't limited to x86 but could potentially emulate different CPU architectures and even add new instruction sets, you'd just have to basically write a new software core with no changes in hardware. I remember the never-die Amiga community was pretty crazy about them for a while because of that. It never happened though.

They also couldn't keep up with the breakneck development of CPUs at that time. Transmeta folded and they were forgotten fairly quickly. (I think nvidia bought some of the technology and it went into their GPUs) Torvalds worked for/with Transmeta for a while. Somebody once hacked into the firmware of the Transmeta CPUs and it was quite interesting and alluded to the possibility to inject non-signed stuff into it, but they were so obscure nothing ever came of it.

I also have an old NS (National Semiconductor) MediaGX Thinclient. (They just sold them rebranded, initial design was by Cyrix) With an IDE DOM it's a perfect Win9x machine. It's a very early x86 SoC from the late 90s with inbuilt graphics and Soundblaster support that's not even half bad and also very low power.

You wanna go older - governments didn't use to have the grasp on the technology they have now and really underestimated computers and the internet in general, so very unlikely that old stuff was bugged. Also all the authoritarian insanity and organizations like the NSA getting a carte blanche was mostly after 9/11.

There is tons of stuff to chose from and it's often fairly cheap to get. Yes, "retro" is expensive but 200ish isn't considered retro yet. Most of these old machines will run a lightweight WM (windowmaker is cool) or without X11 altogether just fine, and they often have fairly simple BIOSes that are easy to understand. Just forget about the graphical, JS-heavy internet. (that will never be safe anyways)

How to get Elbrus without going to Syria with can opener?

Attached: bps_0.png (640x480, 180.08K)

I have some via computers I would like to run gentoo on, i have a problem where most oses will not boot because boot loader code must be in the first sectors of the drive. They came with freebsd. Openbsd wouldn't boot. Also how to compile for a via eden cpu in gentoo. or boot from a thumb drive while complying with bios sector restriction.

This website is American

they are the comfiest. there are boards that are even more rulecucked than any american board.

They'd be a lot better than this chinkcrap.
Elbrus-8S is at 28nm and 8 cores.
However I don't think you can buy it anywhere and below millionaire prices.

They're targeted at specific low-power applications. Price/perfomance doesn't stack up in comparison to pre-botnet AMD hardware, and they have a critical security bug that means they might as well be botnet.

youtube.com/watch?v=jmTwlEh8L7g

Old boards from 10 year ago when they still had influence in the mini-itx space sometimes pops up on eBay.
They more or less invented mini-itx.

what "critical security bug"

Watch the video, you can get ring 0 access from ring 3 via poking some registers and running some code on a embedded RISC core in these CPUs. This basically means you can get full access to any machine/gain root/do whatever with this CPU you can run code on, absolutely no mitigations in software possible as it bypasses the entire ring system. Well, the firmware had to enable this access (and apparently, some boards just did so by default) and you can easily disable it when the computer is booted. Thing is, nobody really knew about this and he just stumbled upon it when searching for such hardware backdoors in a variety of more exotic thinclient CPUs.

To be fair this is an old CPU which was mostly used embedded so it doesn't really matter, the question is more what kind of undocumented instructions are hidden in more commonly used, modern CPUs? How many security agencies use them each day to get virtually undetectable access to computers' privileged contents over the internet? These things are not easy to figure out and took him months of pretty clever work and reverse-engineering.

Smartest thing you can do to write your manifesto is use a computer from the 8 or 16 bit era which are simple and so thoroughly documented that every single thing is known about them, even the undocumented instructions. Guaranteed no Hardware backdoors in a C64, Amiga or 8086-based PC. Strictly spoken, of course the software situation for these machines is that they're not safe in a network anyways as their OSes and software were not really written with security in mind nor does their hardware setup allow the kind of security that's needed today.

Long story short: System with critical data = do not let it online and don't allow physical access by people you don't trust. Same as it ever was, really.

VIA C3 is the perfect CPU for retarded cripples who post to Zig Forums with a smartphone

(where the fuck did embeded yt link support go)
youtube.com/watch?v=_eSAF_qT_FY

It's disabled on Zig Forums, newfag. Now GTFO

doesnt the embed send my ip to google every time when its loaded? feels so botnet to me and support for it should be removed

Learn to block third-party requests.

there are VIA boards and CPU for desktop and laptops

laptops use
VIA C-7 (old, slow but usable, 32-bit but supports SSE2 or even SSE3)
VIA nano (newer, 2-3 times faster, 64-bit, probably speculative execution)

No, that's just flat out wrong. Try using a corporate network these days vs. the networks 20 years ago. The networks have increased in speed by two orders of magnitude in that time, but the performance today is abysmal. Several minutes after login the desktop is still unusable because it is still loading Windows10 bloat. It was never like that in the 90's.

Because crap devs (myself included) relied on Moores law to bail us out, while simultaneously dumping botnet into everything. I really want to get an Amiga 1200, get TempleOS to run on it & cleanse my soul by writing code that reads like poetry and runs like the wind.

Would something like a libre SBC (I.e. beagle bones) be a modern alternative / accessible alternative?

LITERALLY THIS
I miss j2me phones now.
Back then you'll know botnet is doing some serious background work when a 1x200mhz cpu is lagging everything.
You can't even run two simultaneous applications without having a drawback in performance.
Now people/phoneposters own octacore shit that has ring -1 oem bootloader backdoors, jewgle, oem kernel, kernel blobs, and app trackers that sit in the memory FOREVER.
And yeah fucking normies like to use that shareit app that literally uploads your gallery thumbnails and entire fingerprint of the shittyphone over to lelnovo.

O! What are you seeking,
And where are you making?
The faggots are reeking,
The kikels are baking!
O! tril-lil-lil-lolly
the valley is jolly,
ha! ha!

whoops, wrong tab.

Some VIA have backdoors.

If you shop carefully, you can avoid most pitfalls. The first step is: buy only Cortex-A7 or A53 processor, because the other recent ones are vulnerable to Spectre. That already eliminates a ton of SBCs. Next, you have to avoid boards that require closed/propprietary firmware blobs or drivers in order to run. That eliminates Raspberry Pi which needs a firmware blob loaded into its VideoCore chip before the ARM cores are even started. After that, you have to compare the boards that are left and decide what's important to you. I wouldn't recommend buying any that are powered though a micro USB connector, because aren't capable of providing enough current in many cases, which will lead to flakey behavior and possibly micro SD card corruption. Watch out also for boards that share a bus between USB and Ethernet (Raspberry Pi again), or USB and SATA (Banana Pi M3), and other such bad designs. It pays to research thoroughly before you buy. These links may help:
fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers
linux-sunxi.org/Buying_guide
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_single-board_computers

thanks user!
I didn't know about the micro-USB corrupting the SD card thing at all

flash memory is really picky regarding power supply and if it isn't good, it'll end up fucking up. All the shit you heard about sdcards being garbage with Pis is not because of the sdcards, but because of the Pis MicroUSB connector being garbage,dropping the voltage too much when there's too big a load. That being said, lots of SBCs let you feed the voltage in via the pin header which is a decent connection for the amount of power these devices normally require. If you can solder your own cables you can use that.

The Allwinner A20 is your best bet if you want a blobless ARM chip supported by the mainline Kernel without Spectre, just be aware that it's graphics acceleration isn't really supported, nor will it ever be properly. (Yes, lima exists but it's been "almost ready" for years now and it'll probably be forever about on the usability level of noveau) Also, dualcore A7 isn't exactly fast. Although it's often claimed to be one of the best supported SoCs, most of the A20s more esoteric features are only partially supported, if at all. Most development also has moved on to partially supporting other Allwinner chips that probably won't be fully supported ever either so don't expect this to improve, like ever. Upside is, it's the only ARM SoC I'm aware of where you can hardware accelerated video decoding without blobs. If you can get that software stuck running, that is.

The other alternative is the Freescale i.MX6, it's very well supported in mainline and it even has accelerated X11 drivers and (if you allow a tiny bit of firmware blob) accelerated video en- and decoding. It's Cortex A9 processors are susceptible to spectre but also quite a bit faster than the A7 and the i.MX6 exists as quadcore. Since no ARM CPU is fast you do want to leverage hardware graphics acceleration if you use graphics so this SoC is the best choice in that regard if you care about a chip that doesn't need blobs for that. I personally find the danger of spectre is overrated, it's more of a problem if you run untrutsted code. (which is always a danger) If you don't offer VM hosting (which you won't on an ARM chip) the only attack vector for such code really is the browser and all browsers that I'm aware of have software mitigations by not offering accurate enough timers. (exploiting spectre needs very accurate timing) So if we ignore /techs/ ill-informed paranoia for a moment, for the average user Spectre isn't really a problem. Also I don't think you want to use such a machine with a javascript heavy browser to begin with since that won't be any fun.

we need a new (old actually) software philosophy. we need to go back to the roots
when we implement our quality bloatless optimized software and operating systems, we will be able to run them on really old hardware that doesn't have so many backdoors

linux doesn't seem to be the answer, it's a piece of bloat shit and malware, works and looks like shit while requiring fast botnet hardware
we need to go TempleOS way or ReactOS way, or both. but not linux

What about old iBook G3's (IBM PowerPC 750)? To my knowledge, they aren't vulnerable to any side channel attacks.

The problem is they tried to shove their enterprise OS and other related shit into home computers that don't need it. If we're actually going to get anywhere good, a lot of simplification is in order. But that also includes not relying on monstrous specs like the Web 2.0 shit. Throughout the 90's it was possible to browse the web comfortably on an 80386 or 68030 computer (average CPUs at the dawn of the WWW), and projects like Contiki show that even 8-bit systems can be capable if programmed right.

Attached: Contiki-C64.png (753x534, 32.26K)

Am I the only one who remembers the constant crashing?

You can still browse the web comfortably today. Disable Javascript and disable CSS.

I remember running QNX off a floppy and having full graphical multitasking networked environment with browsers and everything. Doesn't seem computing has advanced much since then.

Contiki looks nice.

Not ReactOS. OpenBSD, Haiku...

Please describe what "enterprise" features aren't needed at home too.
You don't want virtual memory? You don't want the ability to run virtual machines? You don't want the ability for you machine to act as a router to another? You don't want the ability to mount any filesystem you come across? All you want is a machine capable of accessing html files with text and 2KB gifs, and maybe programming some small BASIC programs?
Good for you buddy, but I want MORE enterprise features.
I want the ability to run filesystems with an arbitrary amount of redundancy achieved through error correction codes. I want filesystems with fast built-in deduplication and solid compression. I want GPU virtualization. I want per-process file access control. I want the ability to add or remove block devices to seamlessly grow and shrink a filesystem as I see fit. I want per-process firewall and packet sniffing. I want to audit and visualize kernel memory structures in real time to screen for rootkits. I want a self-healing kernel. I want better full disk encryption tools.
The problem is that you reminisce about old machines, but then you whine about the NSA stealing all your data. Pro tip: if your technological level is shit, then it's easy for them to spy on you. On the other hand, if you can spare 10 seconds of hashing on modern hardware to augment your passwords, it almost doesn't matter if you have a shitty password, it won't be brute forced for a very long time. If you have memory randomization in your kernel, then it'll be harder for them to run remote code execution exploits. If you have a good firewall, then it'll be harder for them to get at your machine. If you have good kernel security, it'll be easier for them to run privilege escalation. If you have a large bandwidth and CPU power, it'll be harder for them to run DDoS. If you have good full disk encryption, it'll be harder for them to fuck you in court. And so on and so forth.

It's funny you mention forth (not really but you wrote the word), because that's my way out of the botnet. Anyway you want big complicated kernel and software (and hardware fast/big enough for them), but I don't and so we'll never agree. The thing is you already have your wish, since that's the norm today. So I don't see why you wasted your time to post all that.

Very few of the features I mentioned are currently implemented in any operating system.
Yet you are posting here. What Forth based browser are you using to do it?

I don't have forth web browser, and it's not a big priority. Clearly it can be done since Contiki has managed with tiny 64 KB 8-bit micro, but that doesn't leave enough memory to even fit most threads here in memory. So at that scale it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time on web browser. Gopher browser, FTP, telnet, and stuff like that is a better way. For shitposting here, there's always Lynx on A20 ARM board.

So the way to defeat the botnet is to send anything sensitive through unencrypted gopher and ftp?

The idea is to keep the botnet outside your system, yeah. As opposed to paying for the botnet when you buy modern x86, or even any other modern CPU to some extent. All your fancy crypto will be made useless because you never secured your foundations. I'd rather have good foundations and no crypto, because then at least I don't have any illusions.