Why do you use gentoo?

I don’t want to start a distro war or anything like that, I just want to know the benefits of gentoo over say arch. Arch is also a rolling release, I always have the newest versions of any package I can ever want to use (especially when using the AUR), the system is incredibly stable, and the installation is painless.

Attached: larry.png (282x265, 10.31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nixos.org
cloveros.ga/
etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/USE
packages.gentoo.org
overlays.gentoo.org
gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays
gentoo.org/support/use-flags/
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features#Validated_Gentoo_repository_snapshots
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eselect/Repository
overlays.gentoo.org).
gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays)
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs
bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644500#c13
cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/sigmetrics09.pdf
etalabs.ne
twitter.com/AnonBabble

USE-Flags, musl, libressl, no systemd, easy user patching, no fucking around with package-dev bullshit.

It's easier to manage newer library versions as i can simple recompile an application against the new library.

As compared to how debian does it, where it's all snapshot based an libraries take forever to update on "stable". it simpl6 takes longer for package maintainers to update things like this on binary based distros.

And this

You haven't used AUR long enough i see.
Try getting a later version of ffmpeg off of the AUR and watch your webbrowser fail to launch because a .so file with a specific version wasn't found.

Pretty ironic if you consider that this shit is exactly what dynamic linking supposedly solves.

USE flags.
I can control what gets installed on my system and what dependencies I want or not when installing a package.
For instance if I don't want a package to depend on dbus I can simply config the package with USE=-dbus. Gentoo makes it easier to purge useless cancer from your system although it's not entirely perfect, some tumors are just impossible to completely be dealt with.

>benefits of gentoo over say arch
Both distros serve distinct purposes. As you've noticed on Arch you always have the latest versions of any package and almost all programs available on Linux when you count the official repos + AUR.
Gentoo is a source based distro and as I've said above it is for people who want to have greater control over what gets installed and what configurations get set at compile time. There's also greater care from the gentoo devs about what get considered to be a stable package so the chances of your system getting stability and bug related issues are mitigated, on Arch the philosophy is that this is an upstream task and that nobody is better to know when a package is safe than the people who developed it.
No distro is inherently better than the other, it all depends on how YOU want to use your system. If you care about configuring the compile options of the packages in your system then you'll be better using a source based distro like Gentoo, if don't care about it then Arch or maybe other binary based distro is more of your thing. Just don't try to use Arch the same way you would use Gentoo and vice versa because only a retard wouldn't realize that binary distros ain't source distros.

Each distro is practically the same by the virtue that it's trivial to install and configure any software you desire.

because I haven't found the time to upgrade to NixOS.
nixos.org

systemdicks though

its the distro that people use when they are too lazy or dumb to install lfs

Attached: lfs-logo.png (192x75, 15.84K)

Dynamic linking is UNIX braindamage.

What a shame. Install GNU GuixSD

no you can only partially control things with the use flags. if you want more control then you have to make your own portage scripts or try to get less gay devs for the distro.

why would you want to use an older version of ffmpeg?

Or you can user patch packages.

i've built 3 linux from scratch builds using lfs+blfs 8.4 and some pkgbuild's from arch here and there. i can clearly say that the learning part ends quick and you start larping as a package manager.
updating software is a pain in the ass for some packages if you don't save the `install` output.
there's also the security patches part of it so while it's fun to use something you maintain yourself, package managers exist for a reason.
it's good stuff though.

I installed cloveros on most of my laptops, gentoo is breddy gud

lmfao some dumdums are beyond saving

Are the benefits of musl something tangible or is it some --funroll-loops tier placebo?

I'm a ricer.
Every other distro is unusable for a ricer, anyone who claims to do it on a distro that is not gentoo simply doesn't know what the fuck they're saying. At most they're uninstalling and installing packages and thinking they're hot shit.

With gentoo I have an easy time benchmarking software with different compile options to come up with the best possible solution, and it makes downloading the source code to fix it and send back a patch a breeze.

Attached: grin.png (1366x768, 835.77K)

musl performs much better and software built with it has a much smaller footprint when compared to glibc.
The only reason the world hasn't switched to musl is because software is still tied to glibc.
If you don't care about performance, that's fine, it's also more secure and simpler.
musl is just a better libc than glibc all around.

Benchmarks/Phoronix links plz

Which notable software would I have problems with if I decided to switch to musl?
What do you do about it? Static link against glibc?

Usually shitware like systemd or any non text web browser like chromium or mainline firefox. Everything else just works or is trivial to fix like a header file include.

I don't know how things are now but I remember musl having problems with anything that required libstdc++, so it was impossible to use any C++ program on a pure musl system (you needed to have glibc installed along side it), but that was a while ago.

i use musl void and havent seen anything that would not work yet.

back to /g/

Rust wins again.

both chromium and firefox are working fine for me. you can have a fully working system with musl now.

Do you have brain damage?
Reread the post, i said "later" which in english means "newer then what i have now" AUR has many pkgbuilds that take from GIT hosts, using one of those can fucking kill your system.

*sigh*, listen here, child, it's fine, I used to be an archfag too, in fact, arch was the actual first linux distro I ever installed (and I succeeded because it's fucking easy unlike the brainless redditors love to parrot), I also repeated this meaningless meme of "haha epic bleeding edge", but eventually I learned that that is all it is, a meaningless meme. I'll get into why Gentoo, but first let me explain you why "everything bleeding edge" is a meme.

Actually ask yourself how often you actually use (or even know) the new features of the software you update daily, can you even think of one without struggling? The answer is you do *not* actually need to update all the fucking time, it's completely retarded, especially with libraries, you're making your system unstable by constantly and randomly changing the versions of everything, eventually something breaks and you have no clue why, what or when.

But what in the off-chance? those 1 or 2 times when you actually need a feature that from a newer version of a package, say, GIMP? You *don't* actually have to update every fucking day for that, that's just a stupid chore arch has gotten you used to, even in a distro like debian stable you can still run the most up-to-date version of a package 90% of the time, it's just not in the official repos (developers usually provide a .deb, .tar, or even an AppImage if newer libraries are required, because obviously they want people to actually be able to run their software).

Obviously it's a bit of an inconvenience to install/download a package or program manually every time you want to update something specific (even though like I already said, it's not like that actually happens often), but that's where Gentoo comes in.

With Gentoo you can have a STABLE system, and STILL selectively upgrade packages to the latest version, all without leaving the comfort of your package manager, it's like if arch and debian had a baby and that baby inherited the good qualities only, not only can you select specific versions of a package to install (so you can just leave it at a specific version if you don't want to update it), you can also just set it to version 9999, in gentoo that means to always update to the latest version of the package. There's a lot of other good stuff about gentoo (like ebuilds which are basically PKGBUILDs on steroids, gentoo repos are actually pretty big, but if you really have to make your own package ebuilds are super nice and easy to use) but this is the quality that makes it objectively superior to arch. And don't listen to the "b-b-but I don't want to compile everything", remember, this is not arch, we don't share the retardation of updating every day, which means you don't have to compile nearly as often, though installation takes quite a while, but remember you only need to install once (especially since you won't want to go back).

they fell for a meme and don't want to admit it

oh lol; my bad.

Attached: 3ba64637492a75cc0a62370a5ab86426b0bdfe771c13ede46637408cf2b8e0db.jpg (255x255, 12.13K)

Well said m8

Can you spoon feed me what this means exactly?

What exactly are you confused about?

Literally all the time.
Literally never happened to me. Also, by updating I'm making my system more secure.
Then don't? Arch GNU/Linux doesn't force you to updatr daily. I have it installed on a computer that I use maybe twice a year. Works fine.
So you don't like Arch GNU/Linux because updating is a waste of time yet you are fine with wasting your time with compiling?
You're unbased and retarded.

which ones?

AUR fucking sucks. It's just better than PPA aidscancer. Gentoo just werks. It won't break, and you are able to enable/disable features as you please. Arch's packages are compiled with every option enabled (lol ""minimalism"") Also, Gentoo offers both stable packages and muh bleeding edge versions. Rember that SystemDick is CIAware (too complex to be understood by anyone. SystemD is literally whole new layer of complexity on the GNU OS!!) If you Arch users lack the IQ required to read the Gentoo Handbook, you can just install CloverOS
cloveros.ga/

great learning exercise, but not practical for actual use.

It's commonplace knowledge that GLIBC is old and bloated, and that both musl and uClibc/uClibc-ng are faster and better overall. musl is the better of the two by a large margin, however.

lol what a newfag. Arch's maintainers and developers literally tell people to update at least a couple of times every week to avoid breakage. Also, if security is your goal, you wouldn't fucking use a muh bleeding edge distro for the obvious reasons.
Spotted the larper. You said that you update just "twice a year" but you still keep track on new features, too?? That's pretty sloppy posting, if you ask me.

summerfags

Attached: 1554625333.jpg (717x642 51.28 KB, 109.05K)

Source?

And Lego literally tells people to not eat Lego pieces. What's your point?

I have multiple computers. That's why I wrote "a computer".
I update daily on another comuter of mine and yes, I do keep track of features of a lot of programs.

Attached: 1544051664.jpg (632x950, 132.42K)

I was asking you for a source for your claim that Arch claims that it is minimal.
Nice memes, faggot. But as I've said, I regularly do updates months apart and so far nothing broke.
So? Bleeding edge doesn't just mean that you have all the newest features but also the newest bugfixes.
But I do want to update daily. I do this willingly so that I have all the newest features and bugfixes.
How could I have this without updating daily?

Jesus Christ you're such a hypocritical faggot. You call other "Archfags" while being a Gentoofag.
How does it feel being this retarded?

never had any problems with xorg on arch but i switched distro the day they decided to change a directory to a symlink and destroyed the whole system. some xorg breaking is nothing compared to that.

maybe you should've followed the news on the website you fuckwit
I've been using Arch for almost 6 years and nothing ever "broke" for me once

the distro sucks if it doesnt just work. maybe its good if your hobby is maintaining the os but most people just want something reliable that works. even gentoo does not fuck up like this and its a source distro, i never looked at any news they had while using it and it always worked as expected.

That's very good advice fren. Updates that require manual intervention never happen on rolling release distros, just continue to ignore all the news because so far things have just worked.

rolling should just mean that its always up to date and does not need manual dist-upgrades like debian. not that the devs fuck up all the time and break shit.

Arch calls itself "lightweight" and "simple". The Arch's site also claims that the default installation is "minimal". Literally all other Archfags besides you call Arch a "minimalistic" distro. But my point still holds: Arch is not "lightweight" or "simple" or "minimal" or "minimalistic" at all (lol the default installation includes stuff like LVM, and Arch uses SystemD which is an entirely new layer of complexity that's added on top of the system). The sources are the Arch Linux's website and the wiki.
Come on, don't pretend that Arch is suitable for servers, unlike Debian/Devuan. In fact, you could run Gentoo on a server if compiling packages occasionally isn't a problem since Gentoo is stable enough and Gentoo doesn't require you to keep on updating the system all the time.
Like I said, that joke has its basis in the reality (in other words, Arch breaks if you do partial upgrades or if you don't upgrade regularly). Read a little bit more carefully.
Strange, you just said that you update on daily basis. Anyways, if that has worked for you in the past then that's great for you. However, when I was regular on #archlinux a few years ago, I heard only stories of users breaking their installations when others had tried that. The fact is that only the latest versions of packages in Arch's repositories are supported by the developers and maintainers (Gentoo supports multiple versions of its packages).
I bet that you don't even understand how software is being developed and released. Bleeding edge versions are more unstable than what stable distros ship. With Gentoo you can avoid breakage and security vulnerabilities by limiting the amount of bleeding edge software that you have installed. Think about "Bleeding edge" as the F/OSS equivalent of Microsoft's (((Windows insider program))) i.e. you are a free beta tester.
Didn't you keep track on new features that get added to the software you use? In Gentoo, you can install just those as muh bleeding edge versions and just update those packages since Gentoo supports partial upgrades, unlike Arch. Moreover, if you run ccache, you can speed up the compilation time (or just install CloverOS). It's likely that you don't actually even have to update daily to get the latest features. Also, read what said. I repeat it once more that you don't have to do full system upgrades daily on Gentoo if you want the latest versions of your packages. In other words, Gentoo supports partial updates.
Are you this new? Or did that post hurt just that fucking much?

No that's just Arch being retarded. Arch's maintainers could just add a little script to the packages that do whatever is required and then just delete the script after x versions since they only supported the latest versions of the packages. If they did that in addition to releasing a news item, there wouldn't be any extra trouble for anyone. I have ran Debian unstable (which is a rolling release distro) and I never had to do anything manually after a upgrade. Also, in Gentoo I can run muh bleeding edge software without having to "intervene" after a upgrade in any way.

But you can set Debian to follow the stable/testing/unstable release and then just apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade to keep your system up-to-date. there is no need to do any special release upgrade.

Attached: rms1.jpg (1280x853, 113.59K)

ok, kid
Can you not read? I have multiple computers. One I use daily. Another one I use roughly two times a year.

I was going to reply to your other claims but it would be a waste of time. You have nothing to back up your claims with nor are you able to even consider that you might be wrong.
Have fun in your crusade against Archfags, faggot.

It does. The website says that the default installation is "minimal" and that the whole distro is both "simple" and "lightweight". And the word "minimalistic" implies both "lightweight" and "simple", ergo my points still hold.
Why do you keep on ignoring the most relevant points??

Arch is a fucking mess. Gentoo is like a million times more stable. The stable packages in gentoo on ~amd64 are usually somewhat on the older side regarding version, but important packages are reliably updated when it makes sense (and no, it doesn't always. You don't always need the newest of everything, you're a stupid ricer if you think you do) and most of all, get updated at once if some exploit gets known. It's also very easy with gentoo to write ebuilds that pull in upstream source yourself if something is not in the tree or severely outdated without relying on some binary package build by some rando who did god knows what to it. You can totally use gentoo for servers. You can do things with gentoo like build the packages on one machine and then redistribute the binaries through the network. There's nothing that can hold up to the possibilities, freedom and flexibility you have with gentoo in the linux world. The next best thing are the *BSDs and they have the downside of rather poor hardware support compared to linux.

As has been also said often enough, arch uses systemdicks. Nothing that uses that abomination for anything can call itself lightweight or simple.

That's something pretty dumb from your part, compiling something that provides .so libs other programs are dependent upon and then expecting it all to just work afterwards is pretty fucking retarded.
You were basically trying to use a binary distro the same way you use a source distro, it's obvious that you are going to wreck shit that way.
As a golden rule, if you want to compile stuff you should use a source distro, binary distros are for people who don't bother with compiling stuff.

Ok, lets say I'm convinced, many of you have made strong arguments for the use of gentoo, because I hate debian, and I tolerate centos as server and an Arch server would be retarded although currently I love it in my laptop.

Now I want to install and start compiling my life away with Gentoo and want to use the same ricing as I did in Arch (i3, qutebrowser, networkmanager, etc)

My fears are that I'm not gonna "get it" since I've never compiled anything ever, that's the only reason I don't use suckless, I don't know C language. How and where on earth would I start?

Gentoos wiki and installation Handbook are very good, and reproducing it in a post here would not make sense, so I can just tell you to look them up and they'll have you set up with a basic system in no time if you can read instructions. You don't need to be a programmer to use gentoo. Installing a package is one command, the dependencies are pulled automatically. On even reasonably new machines (think 8 to maybe 10 years old) compiling is quick enough not to bother you. More important is RAM. You can totally compile stuff with 2 GB of RAM but have 8 and you're golden. Usually that is not expensive if you aren't otherwise limited by hardware. (ARM SBCs not being expandable for example) You want to set PORTAGE_NICENESS (look it up in the documentation) so updating only takes leftover cycles and you can use the machine normally in the meantime. An often overseen boost in compiling is the -quiet parameter, so emerge doesn't spew out all the compilation text to the terminal which can be surprisingly slow, even on fast machines. You can also put PORTAGE_TMPDIR on a ramdisk, this also really speeds things up. Look into it only if you're more familiar with everything, though. If you are, also look up eix and pkgcore.

There's usually no point in playing around with compiler flags if you don't know exactly why you're doing it and for which package. (yes, you can set compiler flags per package with gentoo) The defaults recommended in the handbook are sensible. Setting the wrong compiler flags can also make programs slower or break them, so treat carefully. Biggest boost you can give self-compiled packages performance-wise is by compiling them for your explicit machine arch. (-march=native) This will compile programs with a focus on your specific CPU, the size of it's caches and it's instructions. This makes them a lot less transferable to other machines with different CPUs and also a lot less backwards-compatible, but you usually don't wanna do that/need them to be anyways. While the performance wins by this are debatable sometimes especially on slow machines it can make a noticeable difference in comparison to more "generically" compiled binaries.

You want to learn about useflags to leverage the biggest strength of gentoo and compiling your own programs. (kicking out dependency bloat) useflags are basically options with which you can compile the package and you can set them globally or per package, a thing which is not possible by definition with distros that distribute binary packages.

Learn about equery. Learn about "equery uses ", which will tell you what the useflags for a package do. With this you can do things like remove gtk support from a package if you only need the CLI tools it offers, leave opencl out of mesa because you don't need it, remove xinerama support from all x11 programs that have it because you only have one screen anyways, or remove the sendmail dependency from sudo because you don't have configured it anyways.You can also remove all dependencies on graphical packages from emacs because you only use emacs in the terminal, for example. This also goes the other way around and you can compile emacs with motif-toolkit support and motif-toolkit support only, something you will not get in most binary distros. These are all just arbitrary examples of course, your mileage will probably vary.

USE-flags are very powerful and the main reason to use gentoo. Removing parts from programs you don't need can also improve security in some cases by not including potentially buggy code. The same is a very good reason to build a custom kernel for your machine with only the things compiled in your machine supports/you need. In the time I've been using gentoo tons of exploits have been found in the linux kernel that send other distros scramble to update while I didn't have to care because I didn't have these parts compiled in anyways. Making your kernel .config is usually a one-off thing and you can usually just copy it between kernel versions and update it for new flags with "make oldconfig". I only set the kernel config up for a machine once and then at most spend five minutes updating the config if a lot changed between revisions. It's not nearly as involved as memes about gentoo make you believe.

Another upside of mastering gentoo is also understanding the linux kernel, the basic programs and how it all interacts much better, because it's not hidden away by some distro maintainers that decide what's best for you. If you end up mastering linux you'll also end up understanding why things like systemd are garbage. Personally, I blame the existence of bloated stuff like systemd on the lack of knowledge of most users these days. They simply don't know why these are over-engineered and needlessly complicated solutions, because they don't understand the underlying concepts.

You don't have to know anything about C or even invoke make manually (except for the kernel). The Gentoo Handbook includes everything that you need to know about running Gentoo. Gentoo isn't hard to use, you just have to learn how Portage works.

this.

I want to also add that it's better to disable USE flags in your make.conf and then just enable most USE flags just on per-package basis via package.use file/directory. ofc you should enable stuff like X, alsa, crypt and everything else that's general enough in your make.conf. If you want to emerge the GNU Emacs editor with motif GUI, you should specify it in your package.use, instead of adding motif USE flag to your make.conf. As the other user said, the Gentoo Handbook is very comprehensive. Here is the chapter on USE flags: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/USE

When you compile the Linux kernel (which is covered in the Handbook), you shouldn't use genkernel to configure and built it. Instead install hwinfo and use it to gather information on what options you need enable. You can use genkernel to build the initramfs, however. Also, enable the initramfs USE flag on sys-kernel/gentoo-sources package.

err, I mean the symlink USE flag, not initramfs USE flag.

install gentoo
* Packages: packages.gentoo.org
* Overlays: overlays.gentoo.org
* Unofficial list of overlays with package search: gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays
* Use Flags: gentoo.org/support/use-flags/

Useful tools
* app-portage/gentoolkit --- Contains various utilities, such as equery. pls install this. It can save your life someday.
* app-portage/eix --- Search packages faster. Remember to run eix-update
* app-portage/layman --- Manage your overlays (read below).
* app-portage/cpuid2cpuflags --- Find out the correct CPU_FLAGS_X86 for your make.conf

Portage can use GPG to validate snapshots
See: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Working/Features#Validated_Gentoo_repository_snapshots

emerge app-crypt/gnupg app-crypt/gentoo-keys app-crypt/gkeys app-portage/gemato

Then add this to your /etc/portage/make.conf

#...FEATURES="webrsync-gpg"PORTAGE_GPG_DIR="/var/lib/gentoo/gkeys/keyrings/gentoo/release"#...

And finally, edit your /etc/portage/repos/gentoo.conf to look something similar to this

[DEFAULT]main-repo = gentoo [gentoo]# Disable synchronization by clearing the values or setting auto-sync = no# Do not set value of the variables in this configuration file using quotes ('' or "")!sync-type = webrsyncsync-uri = auto-sync = yes

Attached: systemd-devours-all.gif (426x284, 3.99M)

Overlays
Get list of available overlays by running layman -L
You can also use eselect to manage overlays, if you want to. See: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Eselect/Repository
When you have found an overlay you want to add, You really should first mask all packages in that overlay by adding the following in your /etc/portage/package.mask file/directory.

*/*::OverlayName

After you masking the packages, add the overlay with layman -a OverlayName After adding the desired overlay, update your overlays: layman -S
(The reason for masking all packages in overlays, is to keep your system clean.)
Finally, you have to unmask the packages you want to install from the overlay, by adding its name in your /etc/portage/package.unmask file/directory:

cat /etc/portage/package.unmask #... Category/Package::OverlayName #...

package.use and friends
These can be either files or directories containing many files. You can find these in /etc/portage/ directory.
ProTip: It's often convenient to have a file called zzAutomatic (or similar) in these directories (if you chose to use directories instead of files, that is.) Because this way when you tell portage to make changes to your configs, it will modify these files instead of some random files in your package.use.

package.use contains the per-package USE flags. Use it to enable/disable an USE flag for some certain package only. For example, let's disable system-renpy USE flag for Katawa Shoujo:

#This is a comment#use the bundled renpy for maximum compatibility. The minus sign means that we are going to disable(!!) that USE flag.#if you want to enable a USE flag, just type its name (without any kind of prefix). Separate USE flags with a space.games-misc/katawa-shoujo -system-renpy
ProTip: You should try to not enable every USE flag in your make.conf, use package.use instead! (Especially with local USE flags, as the function of local USE flag varies between packages!!)

package.keywords or package.accept_keywords here you can enable keywords for packages. The most common is the ~arch keyword (where "arch" is the desired architecture, for example ~amd64), that enables testing packages, so in other words you can install newer versions and packages that aren't marked as stable yet. package.keywords is newer name for package.accept_keywords, but you can use either one (idk if that will change in the future, however) To allow installation of games-misc/katawa-shoujo (games and similar things are often marked as testing), add the following to your package.keywords:

games-misc/katawa-shoujo ~amd64
package.mask and package.unmask were covered in the section regarding overlays.

package.license allows you to allow/block installation of a package based on its license. If you want to set this globally, for example to only install Free software, add ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE" in to your make.conf. (note, this is nowadays the default).
If you want to accept makemkv eula, add the following in your package.license:

media-video/makemkv MakeMKV-EULA

Attached: 57bc5e60ef81c75f989b17e1cdd9427c25fe70e1.jpeg (539x759, 61.41K)

If i was to add something to already massive amount of information dumped here.
It would be the recommendation of Installing "eix" for searching and syncing.
Portage is made using python and it's quite slow for searching atoms. As it basically just runs a find command on /usr/portage/.
Eix on the otherhand uses a database which makes it faster when all you want to do is find something and displays more information while at it.

Cool I'm actually unironically getting help on Zig Forums, thanks. I think the most difficult thing now won't be compiling but getting rid of the habit of updating every 3-4 days and most of all the habit of using systemd, the timers, etc. So Openrc it is from now on.

Gentoo's features look great, but what makes overlays useful?

Attached: comfy_larry.jpg (1024x768, 94.66K)

Overlays provide additional software, so, in other words, overlays are additional repositories. There are also some official overlays (check overlays.gentoo.org). What makes overlays better than AUR or some crappy PPAs (apart from things that make Gentoo perhaps the best and most sane distribution of GANOO/Loonix) is that you can easily mask (block the installation) of all packages in an overlay and then just unmask the packages that you want to install from the overlay (this keeps your system clean). After you have added the overlay, the installation of a package from the overlay is as simple as installing any other package. You don't have to (and should not) add any overlays, if you don't need them (Hint: you can use this comfy web interface to search packages from available overlays: gpo.zugaina.org/Overlays)

Attached: eva_01_juufuku_miho_and_saten_ruiko_neon_genesis_evangelion_to_aru_kagaku_no_railgun_and_to_aru_majutsu_no_index_drawn_by_hal_21__sample-b887b3bb9efd05a3439c64a82c39c835.jpg (850x816, 130.35K)

It's also very easy to make your own, local repository and write your own ebuilds, for programs that are not in the tree or for newer versions of programs that are, e.g.:

[local] (the name can be chosen freely)
location = /usr/local/portage (example, can be anywhere)
masters = gentoo
auto-sync = no

(there are tons of flags that manage how an repository is treated. For example with which priority it is taken over other repositories. You can look up repos.conf on the gentoo wiki. The official gentoo repo is also no special case and treated like any other repo, you could even replace it with your own version if you wanted to)

Add that to your repos.conf file. (or to it's own file if repos.conf is a directory) You can figure out how to write ebuilds by looking at the documentation and also just by looking at existing ebuilds. Gentoo's ebuilds are often not perfect (dependencies the ebuild doesn't really need, build options the source offers that aren't covered, very stale versions etc.) but they're trivial to override with a local version so you don't really have to deal with the maintainer. Also practical if you want to keep a specific version of a program, because you don't want to upgrade it for example, or want to add some custom source patches. This way you can easily do your own thing, but still have it managed by portage. It's possible for example to have some-program-v1.0 in the official tree, write your own ebuild for some-program-v1.5, and then still automatically get the update to some-program-v2.0 as soon as that is added to the official tree and marked stable. If you have several repositories offering the same version of the same package, you can specify which repositories' ebuild to use by typing e.g. app-editors/emacs:local or app-editors/emacs:cool-overlay or app-editors/emacs:gentoo. You get the gist. It's not strictly necessary to use layman, but it makes things easier. It's left as an exercise to the reader to think about how to share local, self-created repositories over the network with other computers. (hint: it's trivial)

This is vastly superior to things like AUR or PPAs alone already for the reason that you're not dependent on some binaries built by some random which might have been manipulated or not with no way to tell. Compiling them locally against your own versions of libraries also can save you from dependency hell and serious headaches. The building is done in a sandbox, so for example an ebuild that has been maliciously altered to do "rm -rf /" won't actually be able to wipe your drive. More commonly, this also saves you from makefiles that were shoddily written. This protection of course only goes so far and doesn't protect against ebuilds that have been altered to use malicious source code or patches. Since ebuilds are simple text files it's easy to look over them to make sure they're on the level and get the src files from good sources. I've found it personally to be good practice with bigger additional repositories to mask every ebuild they offer by default and only selectively unmask the ebuilds I want to have. This is done by simply adding "*/*::[repository name]" to package.mask.

Unrelated to all that I'd also stop using OpenRC with time. It's not really a good init system and it's maintained by a person with dubious interest in it who has ties to the systemd people. Look into runit, set it up once (just like kernel .configs) and then forget all about it. Gentoo makes that trivial and you also don't have to follow rules like /usr being on the root partition if you don't want to. You can also get rid of evdev (gentoos udev fork) and use busybox' mdev, suckless sdev or an old-school static /dev/ if you want to do so, if you can live without simple automounting. These programs are historically the source of the biggest amounts of autism in the linux community and it might be wise to just avoid them altogether so you can just stand at the sidelines and laugh at everyone when some big autistic conflict invariably breaks out over them and their functionality. Since you are using gentoo and know about custom repositories now, you don't have to deal with the bullshit of anyone, including maintainers of gentoo packages.

Is this the most redpilled system configuration?

That and a patched gtk+, no dbus, gitsync and a customized kernel.

yeah, i learned that half a dozen ebuild for qt5 applications that state it needs qtdbus are complete bullshit.

Of course, it's the one I use after all. It needs some extra maintenance though. Some packages need minor patches and you'll run into issues with modern Firefox in particular because Rust isn't stable on musl yet. How the fuck a C replacement can depend on libc is anyone's guess, but hey, Lynx isn't that bad.

Customized kernel as in a minimal kernel or are you thinking of specific options? What's the gitsync for?

It's philosophical. Musl is slimmer and more "correct", but when it's already loaded, glibc usually performs a little faster except in a couple of unicode related benchmarks. Just use glibc. If these things actually mattered so much, we should be using OpenBSD.

There's a forum post on Gentoo forums where someone wrote a manual for installing gentoo. Its called yagglig I thought. Ive skimmed through it and it gives a practical guide for installing and basic maintenance. If you don't like the verbosity of the gentoo manual, I think thats a decent alternative.

Probably means using git for syncing with portage instead of the default rsync.
This is changed in the repos.conf file

Yeah but why?

much faster

I don't. Gentoo blows, specifically installation. It needs a get-up-and-go option that isn't just writing the livecd together with every single de on it onto the drive. The install docs don't always stay relevant, and numerous times I've installed I had to get the irc to intervene because I ran into problems from commands changing in the manual.

Install source mage.

Why? What's this one's malfunction?

Are GCC otimizations beyond simple "-march=native -O2 -pipe" a meme or can they noticeably increase performance?

Attached: 1558876033539.png (587x613, 266.89K)

I think this should answer your questions:
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization#Optimization_FAQs

I'm sick of this shit.
Here is the recent cause of grief when doing a gentoo install: bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=644500#c13

I run Gentoo on all my computers because it just werks

Attached: 20190117_191923.jpg (4160x3120, 3.04M)

cloveros+musl+hardened when?

Reminder that Gentoo is a broken, unusable piece of trash without ECC RAM: cs.toronto.edu/~bianca/papers/sigmetrics09.pdf
Have fun with your corrupted binaries thanks to multiple bit errors during compilation! :DDD

They can. But you you shouldn't necessarily use them. You can sacrifice security for performance with compiler flags for instance, but I wouldn't recommend it.
The really important thing is -march=native because the average distro compiles for generic amd64, which not only means software doesn't get to use the meme CISC instructions your CPU has, but the compiler will optimize for cpu quirks (like huge piles of assembly logic to get around a poorly performant instruction that nowadays performs fine) and characteristics (cache size for instance) that haven't been the case in 15 years.

Attached: programming socks.png (1013x753, 627.28K)

Gentoo has the best hardware support of any linux distro by a large margin. So long as a linux kernel is available for it, gentoo is guaranteed to run on it. It also makes maintaining this kernel easier, because the kernel's sources are an integral part of managing a kernel on gentoo, so if you have an old version of the kernel for some specific device that you ripped the kernel off of some random dead project, you can just cd to /usr/src/linux and apply patches you got from mainline to your local kernel tree yourself, and gentoo will manage the kernel sources for you (genkernel utility).
You can still run the latest version of gentoo on a nintendo wii, and gentoo is the last linux distro to support 32 bit powerpc. Before that the alternative was debian oldstable. Because every android phone has a linux kernel, you can put a gentoo rootfs on android phones as long as you get a custom recovery in it to move the files with.
There are gentoo wizards compiling gentoo rootfs'es for their 4MB flash/32MB ram MIPS routers as we speak. There are companies using gentoo's package management to create their own distro for their embedded product. There are binary distros using gentoo's package management to compile their binary packages (alpine linux)

There are numerous advantages to source-based package management. Prohibitive software licenses are often more liberal about distribution of source code, and sometimes source code can get around patents.
An example of this is that gentoo has always had mp3 support by just installing the package, because LAME could not be distributed as binaries due to mp3 patents (which are now expired), but distributing the source was fine, and that's how gentoo does it anyway. That I recall, the same thing happens with libfdk for AAC encoding.
Legally, gentoo's USEFLAGS system is in a grey area, in a good way, in some situations. Companies often make a product and say "okay if you want to put this as a component in your software you can, but the user will have to manually get it/opt in". Well, USEFLAGS by some interpretations can count as that, and gentoo abuses this fact well.

Gentoo's packaging ethic is "If we're legally allowed to distribute it, we will". Distributing anything can often provide conflict in the different interests of users, for instance distributing proprietary software, or including excessive or lacking features. Gentoo manages to caters to all needs with no compromises with a clever combination of USEFLAGS and license management built into the package manager.
If you want a security-heavy distro, gentoo has a variant that is just that, and it does it with profiles, which are just a default set of USEFLAGS and configuration files. That's the power of gentoo.
Debian for instance, keeps proprietary software in separate repositories, but you're not free by just disabling those repositories, because the kernel is proprietary... On gentoo you can simply say you want no proprietary software with the license management and uninstall anything proprietary you may have installed and you're free. You also get to use more software while keeping yourself free, because each binary distro deals with packages that are partially free in a different way, which may mean they have a different and free version of the package, or the package cannot be used in its free version at all, but because of USEFLAGS and built in license management, you can quite easily install a package and exclude any proprietary components.

1/2

Portage makes it easier to add packages to the distro. This is not inherent to source-based package management, but portage in specific does this, whereas other package managers don't. gentoo ebuilds can be made in such a way that whatever is the latest or latest stable version of a piece of software is in a repository, portage will automatically figure it out and you'll have the new version available, with instructions you can give it. On basically every other package management system a maintainer has to manually add a new version to the repositories.
Do note that in actuality no gentoo package does this unless you're picking a git head version of a package, instead the maintainers usually automate the generation of versioned ebuild, but manually put them in portage, so that updates are sanctioned by a human.
Portage can manage binary packages just as well as it does source packages, meanwhile, other package managers such as pacman can't even manage binary packages properly, and even the good binary package managers such as xbps can't manage source properly. (void also has xbps-src, but it's broken ports system insanity from *BSD).

The fetching and compiling source part is automated by the package manager, whereas on a binary package manager, you'd have to come up with a build system yourself, and then tell the binary package manager to install the result. Binary package managers offer differing feature levels in this, for instance in Debian you can at least fetch source code from apt, but I'm pretty sure you can't in Arch.

There really is no denial. Gentoo is by far the best Linux distro. People aren't telling you to install gentoo because it's a meme, it's because it's the best distro.

2/2

Attached: 1558142339628.jpg (960x1280, 127.84K)

Compiling from source is pointless anyway when you get bit errors during the lengthy compilation process (because you will), therefore making your binaries broken. See

That's a man's ass and nails fyi

Is hardened a meme for desktops or is it worth it?

That's either a really good edit or a man's ass.

hardened is done mostly security fixes that people have done out of paranoia, a fix it before it leaks kinda mentality. For this reason there is not really any evidence if it's useful or not. Functionally wise, There is no difference from just using vanilla.
Musl, on the other hand comes with a performance increase because it's a difference implementation of libc that often is lighter weight then the currently used glibc from gnu. It's not really a part of hardened though, just better code in general.

Running old packages = running old bugs. Cringe.

daily reminder that when you are running (((a bleeding edge distro))), you are actually a beta tester who does it all for free. do you enjoy doing that every day, user?

external ebuilds. up to you, to decide what overlays to use. one of my favourites the pentoo overlay.

Tbh, i did enjoy being able to run/test ffmpeg/vpx's row-mt before it ever hit archfags/debian.

Install Devuan guys !!

WHat do you think about archlinux users ? Their brain is not really well structured, perhaps due to aluminium

>etalabs.ne
This reminds me of a guy who complained that bash was bloat because the scripts he made with it wouldn't work the same way on other system. The reason for that was because he did not RTFM and wasn't aware that a --posix option existed. Much like the gigantic cunts who cry that GNU is bloat everyday and shill for a solution that google and other corporations are shilling themselves which also by a happy coincidence the license of these shilled software are MIT/BSD.

> MANPAGER='grep slow' man bash It's too big and too slow.
Jokes on you, even GNU aknowledges it. Only people who never had to touch someone else's code can accept bloat as easily.

Well, in Gentoo you can use portage to install the git versions of many packages (the ones that have a "9999" version of the package available) but you aren't forced to install unstable versions of all packages.

heh, it sounds like you aren't aware that Glibc has a lot of legacy baggage.

OpenBSD's version of ksh (it's basically the sane version of bash), zsh, fish (I haven't personally used fish but I have heard good things about it) and even dash (if you gotta go fast) are way better than bash.

zsh and fish are faster than bash?

>parted: error while loading shared libraries; libreadline.so.8: cannot open shared object file; No such file or directory
>couldn't even get past the install without a library issue
This is why i use gentoo.

Why? Every time I see "pacman -S" it makes me smile. I heard so many things about pacman breaking the system. And isn't Arch a rolling release distro? Rolling release + binary-based + systemdicks is not a great couple. You could try Devuan or any other distro with stable release model.

There are a lot of things that keep me from using other distros.
I hate arch, but i hate having to crawl 50 thousand different places to get even remotely updated software just the same.
And considering debian is all about those ppas i don't think i'd enjoy devuan at all much either.
That and past experience with distros like linux mint and it's god awful repositories/library issues make me shudder at the thought of binaries.

Gentoo is comfy because i don't have to worry about that, i'll take long compile times over headaches any day.
that and i also was going to use artix to get devkitpro, which for some reason doesn't have an ebuild, but i think I'll just end up compiling it manually.