Man pages

Do any of you read them for fun? I enjoy learning the most I can about specific commands in order to master the command line and make the most of out each command. Man pages are often elegantly written and informative in ways that other summaries cannot achieve. What are some man pages that you have enjoyed reading that enhanced your skills in tangible ways?

Attached: C7F670B0-CD74-42A4-B595-7A60934092D4.png (574x552, 88.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildebeest
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Do not homosexualize the goat.

Not really. They are usually messy and overly long yet lack a decent structure; quite the opposite of elegant. Man pages pertaining to standardized functions also often have the problem that they slightly differ from said standard, especially Linux's.

Attached: GNU's Revenge.png (853x1280, 922.24K)

It's not a Goat.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildebeest

gaze, from SourceMage GNU/Linux

It's a GNU, though...

they are so long that i wont remember anything

The standardized functions also often have lawyer english which still fails at being unambiguous.

You have a strange idea of fun.

Man pages are really nice for reference, but fuck those people who think they need to write an entire book in that format. Looking at you, rsync. For anything longer than two or three pages Texinfo is better suited.

Man pages in OpenBSD are some the best I've seen. Really nice and detailed.

Attached: poster4.jpg (549x808, 394.53K)

No, linuxfags can't into documentation.

Yes it is really hard to find the documentation for the GNU operating system, when you type "linux documentation" in a search engine, because all you get is the documentation of the kernel.
I mostly like GNU's documentation, for example Guix System has a great documentation, Guile's documentation is good, findutils are ok too.

man pages are annoying tho. i usually just want to know what the parameters that i need to do thing are. its much easier to put how to do thing in a search engine since someone usually has had the same problem and theres a working command that you can just copy and paste. with man pages i have to read the long extremely verbose explanations of every parameter and their possible options before i can do something and i already forgot half of it at that point.

It's not hard.

Agreed. Only OS I've ever found myself losing track of time because I like the man pages so much.
I'd recommend everyone browse the man-pages for random programs on OpenBSD, you're practically guaranteed to find some settings you never knew you wanted, and it's just fun.

I'm not autistic.

OpenBSD manpages are pretty nice though.

You don't choose the memes the memes choose you.

Attached: gnuhonkler.png (1100x600, 104.79K)

gb2reddit

it's not for fun but necessary when configuring softwares. Man is best for configurations and learning parameters. But docs has wider info every time.

Attached: 0caea7f2d391a812621d9d836a9ac28a--best-girl-non-non-biyori.jpg (236x236, 13.29K)

Who but a nigger doesn't?
Most pages could do with an example section, it used to be more common.
The wording is always specific, and paying attention that word "X" was used instead of similar word "Y" is often helpful in understanding why what you typed didn't work as you expected.

or:
man X
/foo

True. Having just spent the best part of a day figuring out how to set up what should have been a simple test network config (a pox on your houses, network-manager and systemd-resolved developers), I have to say the dnsmasq man page which ultimately saved the day is about the most concise format you could put a lot of complex information into.

Reading them for fun? Now that's real autism, I take my hat off to OP.

this.
also the openbsd's FAQs are superb, too.