How did you start to "get" programming?

Tell me techfags, when and how did you start "getting" programming? I've taken intro to Java for a semester and I got wrecked. What am I missing?

Attached: 78a6b34ff2502203c7f78c2238d9020ba25d2a67c86536cc79b0ee952861a697[1].png (896x685, 136.69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html,
htdp.org
youtube.com/watch?v=1S1fISh-pag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You're missing SICP mitpress.mit.edu/sites/default/files/sicp/full-text/book/book.html, it's useful and not just a meme. Just start reading it and post back here when you run into problems. If you don't like the style of that, also consider htdp.org

It sounds like you want people to coddle you for being a failure. Put in the hard work like everyone else has to. What exactly are you stuck on?

Practice. You need to understand the meaning of each particular element of programming. You apply your knowledge by writing computer programs that achieve some kind of processing. You need to keep writing and you need to keep meditating on the meaning of what you've already written.

When I was 3 years old and started taking toys apart to find how they worked.
Either the intelligence (yes, it takes a certain IQ to be a decent programmer, sorry), the motivation to dedicate the hours, or the interest to absorb the information. There's also a small chance the tests were badly designed and penalized you for taking the literal instead of the common sense interpretation or vice-versa, but that's probably not what's going on.

Try if that is still too hard, try just learning some other languages from some other resources. My first experience trying to learn was with python and the tutorials i was following was muddied by the authors personal style, cargo culted bullshit, and failure to explain various eccentricities of the language, that while I was able to understand the abstract concepts, I was unable to actually write code that worked unless i mindlessly copied and pasted large chunks that i didn't really understand. Months later I learned C, a supposedly harder language, and had no problem. The quality of your learning material makes a huge difference, and don't think for a second that just because its a college/uni course means it's quality.

Also, once you get rolling, make sure find some projects to work on. They don't need to be productive or useful, just have fun with it. You need to be writing code at least every other day or you will forget most of what you know pretty quickly and need to relearn it again and again. You'll know when you can slow down.

I got it after a week without internet and a pdf of K&R 2nd edition.

i was born white

When I was 8, I took some programming clases, but they weren't very helpful. Some years later, I tried to dab a bit in Lua making some programs for a Minecraft mod, then tried to learn Python without much success. It wasn't until I went balls to the wall by trying to program a game in Java that I truly grokked programming. And boy, did I grok it.

Stop giving advice you fucking retards, do you want even more competition in a field anyone with two brain cells and a computer can get in?

Basic programming work deserves basic pay. Designing a system and then implementing that system is much more work that demands a higher skill. Try as they might but low grade programmers will not succeed to design a system from scratch even with the power of Stack Overflow supporting them.

guy fuck you sir. i build beautiful 737 max software harnessing full power of stack overflow. i can 100% guarantee very talented programmer working on your projects to extent no time is necessary being wasted on test harness code, passing on amazing productive boons to your business. for estimate on what we can do to take your technology into space age satisfactory code call for free quote.

Anybody who wishes to hire your good service deserves everything that you deliver to them.

Instantly. It's not hard, at least the basics aren't. Everything is labelled after what it does (if, until, etc.) after all. You just need to sort it in the right way and it just werks.
Just learn the syntax, then practice a couple times and you should've got it. Java is a shit language though, that might be contributing to your failure.

Programming in your blood. My father taught me BASIC when I was 8, and I've been programming ever since. If you got wrecked, you probably just have shit genes. I'd give up if I were you.

I dont think there was ever a single moment for me when it all clicked. Over many half-assed years of starting and stopping several languages the necessary thought process was built. You kinda just have to realize that all programming is is the movement and manipulation of data. Moving it to where it needs to be and making it what it needs to be for when it gets there. Once you have the right data in the right place you use it to make more data to move and manipulate. Then repeat the process until your program works.

I started with BASIC on an 8-bit computer, long ago. Now everything is more complicated, so you're a bit out of luck. I guess you could try TempleOS, since at least it gives you an REPL and access to the entire system, which is the closest equivalent to how BASIC worked back then (you could PEEK/POKE to all memory, access IO ports, and call machine code addresses). Also the HolyC is a lot nicer than standard C.

Attached: missile command.png (384x272, 1.6K)

I would argue that programming is just souped up mathematics.

I wouldn't refer to programming as "souped up mathematics" as much as "another form of mathematics".

Thank you sir,
We build and deploy full-stack development operations which harness the power of cloud computing to drive productivity. Utilising cutting-edge blockchain technology our company has helped to deliver incredible savings on infrastructural overheads and wasted wages. If you are interested in taking your business to the next level then please call us for your free estimate.

Applied mathematics.

Started with my TI-89 scripting and javascript when I was younger and felt I was fine with programming.
A few years later ASM/C on a Cypress chip, I don't remember the model. It was fun times.
A few years more C++ and I started trying to do more complex stuff (still not there yet) and general scripting, SQL queries, etc.
At this point I mostly got the "general shape" of programming and could dwelve more or less quickly in scripting or other programming language.
A few years later Java at work, learned on the fly.

Currently back on my project with C++. With my general knowledge it's going smoothly. Base is stable enough but kind of barebone and I need to create content now, so 3D modeling, and training with drawings.

tl;dr: git gud, never stop. Convert time into XP in whatever skill that can interest you. Even remotely since some time later it could have grown on you.

Repetition of the basics until you have your footing, then applying it to create something you're interested in.

Thanks for the advice, this was actually surprisingly helpful

computer craft and redpower were absolute cum mods

Java is a terrible language to start off.
Go learn C.
youtube.com/watch?v=1S1fISh-pag

I wouldn't say it's math. Math is a set of symbols and rules on what ways to manipulate those symbols are valid that when followed allows us to model reality and predict the behavior of those models by building models that predict the behavior of those models.

Programming is all math. Everything -- from data structures, to type systems, to algorithms -- is math. If you don't know that, it's because you don't know enough mathematics. Pick up Knuth's The Art of Computer Programming or even an introductory book from that era like Wirth's Algorithms + Data Structures = Programs and you'll begin to get a feel for the mathematical underpinnings of programming. It used to be taught that way but it isn't anymore, which is a tragedy.