Where Has Teen Car Culture Gone?

For nearly a century, coming of age in America meant getting behind the wheel. A driver’s license marked the transition from childhood and dependence to adult responsibility and freedom. To many, it was a far more important milestone than voting or legal drinking. It was the beginning of a new world—of cruising down Main Street to meet with friends and compete with rivals; the ritual of being picked up for a date and making out while “parking”; and of the pleasures and frustrations of repairing, souping up, customizing, or racing a car.

This world, familiar to anyone who has seen American Graffiti, the 1973 paean to teen driving, was unique to the U.S. No teens in any other country in the world shared American teens’ level of enthusiasm for all things automotive. This was in part because in the mid-20th century there was a wealth of available cars—cheap used ones from the late 1920s—as well as the fact that by 1940, American teenagers were more likely to be attending high school than working. Elsewhere, 16-year-olds rode bikes or buses and had jobs. Practically nowhere else on earth did teens have the means—and, as high-school students and not full-time workers, the time—to join the adult world of automobility. And they did so on their own terms, partially emulating their elders who had cars, but also by using cars to craft their own personal styles and escape their parents’ control.

Some young car enthusiasts remain today, but American teens have as a whole moved on. According to the Federal Highway Administration, the percentage of American 16-year-olds with driver’s licenses was roughly 25 percent in 2014, a steep drop from about 46 percent in 1983. Older Americans who gather at old hot-rod and antique car shows lament how their offspring show no interest in their hobby, and car makers and dealers fret over how to sell to an increasingly elusive teen market. What’s changed? The answers are technological, legal, and cultural.

One thing is clear: It is harder to get a car these days. Thanks to technological advances, the cars of the last few decades are better made and last longer—and thus cost more, even when they’re used. And the old strategy of buying a “junker,” a car in bad shape, and then replacing a faulty alternator with a cheap scrap-yard part is practically impossible to do on one’s own; repairs in the digital age require more skill and equipment than most teens have. And rising costs meant that poorer teens—especially African American and Hispanic teens—have been more likely to do without. A half-dozen years ago, about a quarter of 16-to-18-year-olds from households earning less than $20,000 per year had driver’s licenses, compared to the three-quarters of their counterparts in households earning over $100,000 who had licenses.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/05/teen-car-culture/561290/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy
autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=475198382
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Vehicles aside, getting a license in the first place is harder than it used to be. Once, it was a rite of passage to turn 16 and become a full-fledged driver. But since the 1970s, psychologists, safety officials, and legal scholars have campaigned to raise the age requirement to 17 or 18, with more limited permits provided for younger ages. They’ve argued that younger age requirements are a holdover from a time when America was more rural and families needed their teen children, sometimes as young as 14, to drive vehicles on the family farm. These experts amassed great troves of data showing that 16-year-olds, especially boys, lacked the maturity to drive powerful machines on the public road, noting that 16- and- 17-year-olds were responsible for far more crashes than were even their 18- or 19-year-old counterparts.

By the mid-1990s, most states were adopting the so-called Graduated Driver’s License, a multi-step licensing process for young drivers that includes complicated rules about when and where 16-year-olds can drive. The requirement of adult-supervised behind-the-wheel training, prohibitions against night driving, and special penalties for infractions, as well as the rising costs of driver-education classes (which have been dropped from some high-school curricula in recent years) have all led many young people to delay learning to drive until they turned 18 and were free of these restrictions. This new legal regime brings America more in line with many other industrial nations, where the age of 18 has long been the norm.

But the decline of teen driving over the past few decades has roots beyond the practicalities of getting a car and a license: Local authorities have also become less willing to allow teens to play around with cars. By the 1980s, many politicians and local businesses demanded that police across the country restrict and ultimately ban the rites of “cruising” (driving around aimlessly) and “parking” (making out in parked cars). Cruising was considered a nuisance because it could interfere with people going about their daily errands and commutes. This inconvenience was tolerated for some time, but by the late 1970s, some local authorities and businesses were voicing concerns about an invasion of outsiders (often nonwhite ones) from different neighborhoods—in part a product of the expansion of freeway systems in areas such as suburban Los Angeles. Complaints like these prompted cruising bans across the country.

While cars themselves are losing their place in teen culture, the freedoms and pleasures that they once brought to young people now often seem to be won through other means. The smartphone is the most obvious replacement, offering a virtual liberation from the constraints of family that the car once provided physically. Additionally, with more parents—particularly more moms—away from home during the day, many teens can find privacy right in their own living rooms and bedrooms, with no need for a car to take them elsewhere or provide its own sanctuary.

Though these changes mean that teens still find the freedom and privacy that cars once afforded, one thing is gone: that magical age of 16, when suddenly a world opened up. Many teens have been using smartphones since they were kids; privacy in their homes has been granted to them gradually over time. The rite of passage is gone, along with the excitement and anticipation that preceded it for so many.

theatlantic.com/family/archive/2018/05/teen-car-culture/561290/

Obummer's cash for clunkers scam destroyed the used market in favor of generating more debt for his overlords

the new car
travel without moving

Attached: galaxy-s8-always-on-display-time-zones.jpg (800x600, 61.48K)

I think some it is due to children growing up with smart phones and online. If you spend too much time online then you don't desire maturity, and driving a car is the symbol of adulthood.

Nobody really has the disposable income to run around in hotted up vehicles en mass anymore. Most young people are trying to eat, pay the rent or find a way to get out of their parent's houses.
Shit's fucked, mate.

Attached: Peugeot_206_WRC.jpg (1024x768, 410.92K)

OY VEY WHY WON'T YOU BUY THE CAR GOY? Oh you are at the same rate, well you need to buy 50% more to make up for our imported voting bloc's low income.

Way to set the bar, gramps. Get off the internet it's bedtime.

There are more non-white teens now, it's not that they don't have money, it's that they have another culture!

Again, non-white invasion.

They prefer their house because places outside are becoming more non-white each day.

Why go anywhere when all places are the same?

Also teen culture and the entire "youth rebellion culture" was manufactured intentionally and explicitly by kikes in the 20s and 50s. Not so much the cars, kikes don't make physical products but the service industries and entertainment which the kids would partake in while out of the house were the kike's domain.

It has gone away. And rightfully so. Nigger oil and (((gasoline))) powered vehicles are disgusting.

It was purely a male driven subset fueled by men having their genital mutilated and needing to compensate by trying to create their own visions of a craft to express their physical embodiment as to be a part of their succession or even attracting a mate. WRONG. This is nigger culture. You are NOT gong to compensate by hiding the truth you fucking NIGGERS

If the soycucks today instead of buying pozz DLCs, having a paid netflix, youtube, twitch, amazon, spotify account.. having a playstation xbox and wii and the latest iphone and macbook and spend daily money on starbucks coffee and also own nigger star wars jedi figurines and rick and morty collectibles

if they would save that money, by the time they would be 16 they would have enough money to buy a used car.

All legit problems. Non white invasion skewing demos and making public spaces distasteful, Jewish economic fucking making it hard to afford anything. Don't discount urbanization and Jewish municipal governments; over 50% lives on less than 10% of the land. That land is crowded, overpriced for real estate and fuel, and newer to hell with car taxes and insurance rate gouges.

Another factor, Uber. Those same urbanite kids see Uber as the true status symbol. Can you afford to have someone drive you there? Status. Doesn't help that in the 10% land it's actually cheaper to Uber everywhere than have a car.

The car culture was created naturally. Kids needed to move around town, then have an excuse to get away from home and most importantly a place to make out.

Women shouldn't be allowed to own or drive cars, this is something the Saudis got right.

These days you can experience a lot of what the world has to offer just by using the Internet, in the past to see a naked woman you had to go outside. A powerful motivator.

Car payment: $200
Insurance: $100+
Gas: $100+
Oil and other expense: $50-200

That is an easy $500 a month, most teens spent that instead on their phones.

user some places do not mutilatedbaby's genitals. Of course until we murder every American Black skinned Nigger, this trend will continue. The FBI is a nigger group. Hello Nigger 😊

that's a monthly expense, a phone is a single off expense with exception of internet plans which do not cost as much as 500$ monthly, in fact much less so.

Low or no disposable income while gas and other environmental taxes add up to a massive financial hit that only regular jobs can sustain. If they can get them.
New cars are also ugly as hell.

Most teens have no way to scrape together $500 a month.

It's replaced by PC/console gaming culture and gun culture.

Nowadays car isn't that mysterious anymore.

past: drive your own car
present: pay others to drive their own car

past: race around town in your car for fun
present: pay others to watch them play racing games

past: fuck your girlfriend in the car
present: pay others to watch the video of them fuck a lookalike of what should be your girlfriend

I don't have a car and even if I did it would be useless. Almost every parking is meter no matter where I go and don't wanna spend half of my salary paying $5/hr parking.

Most people buying $5 starcuck's coffees would own a used car I'd say. Besides, they aren't the demographic that would've been car guys, car culture was masculine. Personally I'd love a hotted up rally beast, but I'm all on keeping my '04 Meh It''ll Do on the road when I have shit like my employer calling and saying I'm not needed for three weeks.. Not many people I went to school with are in a much better boat either (my country is particularly fucked tho)

see

Combination of costs, shit economy, the internet and the rise of anxiety, nervousness preventing young from getting behind a wheel.

starbucks was an example.. they spend on other overpriced food or drinks. For example order pizza home for 20$ when they could make their own pizza for 10$ if they would use their car to go to the store and buy the ingredients.

They instead just not eat so damn much and lose some weight.

Good point. All the cucks on SSRIs and the SJW fags that would piss themselves if someone in a Dodge would give them a bad look.

Most people don't even need cars, people should just walk to the store. This would fix pollution and public health issues.

I cook my own meals and make my own damn coffee
probably why I can afford the luxury of a 14 year old car, lmfao..

Yes originally but the loans parents and kids took out to finance cars were immediately zeroed in on by kikes, because kikes.

You do know that the majority of whites in America are rural now right? The store is a 3 hour walk unless you are a townie. I want all cities over 50,000 abandoned after we kill all the kikes, liberals, and shitskins. They no longer serve an economic function except for certain ports and river fronts.

They have been trained from birth that cars are evil and they should be using (((mass transit))). Funny thing is the people who have been telling them this all own cars and live in large houses.

Do as I say not as I do. Go live in your shoebox apartment and be shuffled around in busses like cattle, goy.

Government housing
Government transportation
Government healthcare
Government food
Your owned.

Attached: IMG_7563.JPG (2448x2448, 1.72M)

God so much this

Attached: 8e4db459c0665f5f5f12bf55242c2b043efc2dc0b9f287a361d323e19db7abbe-pol.mp4 (400x400, 1.97M)

The most frustrating thing about the move to stop people running fully automotive vehicles is that there are humans out there right as we speaking proudly boasting of their fully electronically controlled cars that literally have no physical connection between the brake pedals and brake.

That's how people are right now, and they're forcing people to one only ever be able to own a car that won't allow them to control the wheel.

I don't like getting in a car when my most idiotic of friends are at the wheel let alone trust a technology founded in isreal

Even if they could afford it, where the fuck would they drive to? Every public space is full of loitering spics and niggers.

Have you seen the latest episode of The Public Space? They talked about how whites move to suburban areas (white flight) and the center remained non-white which turned the city in shit hole like Detroit or Washington.

Owning a car and driving with your white friends is racist, it excludes non whites. Use the public transport, fuck segregation!

Something I remember I read in another thread

I agree OP, its a tragedy teens today aren't experiencing that thrill of driving we got to feel :^)

one of the more boomer articles ive read
just a complete disconnect with reality
they destroy the world and ask why we seem upset about it
they will never realize that when we talk about hanging traitors first we mean them

Like in Demolition Man

Fucking boomers I swear, teens haven't been buying cars since the economy slowed down in the late 60s

What kid would buy a brand new car nowadays? it will cost 20k MINIMUM + insurance and other fees. Fuck that.

most teens cant afford a car because it takes years to get a shitty job and if they want a good one they gotta put themselves in debt to the bank for about 5 years

DO YOU LIKE
MY CAR
MY CAR

Fun times tbh

Kids either lack money, desire or time nowadays (or some combo). Money is self expanatory, nu-college age makes education a time grind, and as many said, alot of kids dont even want a car.

So in other words if they stopped doing what they like they would have money for the hobby you wish they had?

see

Because cars can no longer be bought cheap and worked on to get 10 years of service past the manufacturers warranty. They can be bought cheap but parts are extortionate and have to be specific to the model or reprogrammed as they all contain canbus electronics. Fuel is more expensive too. Charges for parking, tolls etc etc they milked the motorist to the point where you don't do it for fun anymore but out of necessity.
There is still a motorcycle scene, as they are fun, dangerous, powerful, theiveable, affordable, serviceable, require the female to be petite yet brave to get on the back, etc etc.

You must be a shitty employee

Not everyone has KushnerBux backers

I see teens racing all the time, its just they are racing new cars their parents bought them, not the junk we had to drive in.

Do you even hear yourself? You cant land a shitty job becasue you dont have backers? Nigger I got a job and im my only backer. What a fucking loser, your own worst enemy. You dont even try becase youve convinced yourself its pointless. Glad youll never be good enough to a woman to mate with.

I was speaking on behalf of user, I have a car I just know with all the insurance roadtax etc it's beyond the average young goys wage.

1. Cars are ugly now.
2. You can't drink and drive like the good old days.

Attached: now.png (782x506 580.82 KB, 698.75K)

No, the (((automotive))), (((oil))), and (((tire))) industries conspired to rid the country of public transportation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_streetcar_conspiracy

Actually you forgot the cost of power to heat the pizza .

Its boomer propaganda. Modern generations are just fucking poor and spend less on everything including food and entertainment when boomers laugh at them and disfranchise them.

Attached: ty.jpg (640x657, 300.18K)

GAS GAS GAS
IM GONNA STEP ON THE GAS

Reminds me. Didn't the Zodiac Killer target people who were parking and
otherwise taking advantage of the freedom car-use brought people?

Gotta say, makes me wonder if he wasn't another False Flag Op (it has
been said that his physical size/shape changed between witnesses).
Deliberately making people feel less safe and less free.

Wondering if all those young-driver stats are bullshit/exaggerated too.
Or, like general crime and gun violence stats today, mostly down to nigger behavior.
Cars in general were pretty dangerous back in the day before they figured
out the seatbelt and child-decapitating glove-compartment door thing.
Like they gave a fuck about teens eating a tree every now and then.

Tell that to the boomer culture scum who found the trick to buy dirt cheap villas and cars and tell us 'DUDE WHY DON'T YOU BUY A HOUSE AND CAR AND A WEEKEND CAR AT 24?'

Attached: 1430878457808.jpg (4500x4334, 1002.77K)

America has a bigger problem
This is a U.S.Military Psyop. Remember the main goal here is to finally destroy the U.S. Military because the U.S. is ran by Niggers. They don't want to give up their luxury. That's why they chop foreskin and read their nigger Bible's. The country needs to be smashed.

Their parents buy them consumer goods, which is why the only kids with vehicles are upper middle class white girls. The remainder of us are broke out of HS.

muh public transportation
fuckoff yurocuck, americans aren't hamsters who need the governments hand to travel across the country.

So not a single person has explained yet why owning a car is a good thing…

25$/month on subscriptions (amazon prime, netflix, twitch channel, spotify)

25$/month on pizza order

25$/month soda

25$/month junk food

25$/month steam game

500$/year gadget

=

2000$/year

If he starts doing this when he's 12, then if he would save the money instead, at 16 he would have 6000$, enough for a used up car like this autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=475198382

I couldn't get a fucking job let alone a car. Oldfags could just mow lawns for summer and buy a riced up piece of shit for a grand but youngfags have to wait till they're 18 to drive alone and work part time for months. Good luck getting a car in highschool now unless mummy and daddy get one as a present for their special little man.

and why would any 12yo do that? you'd have a fair argument if the parents controlled what the child did but no kid is cutting off what all the other kids are doing for a fucking used car.

Oh really. America isn't a cuck country? Nigger sportsball I take it? How about the U.S. Military? Once again All niggers. Face the Facts. The U.S. is a Nigger country. But it won't be much longer

Yeah, I mean the parents will save up the money and not give him for all the bullshit. The kid should read books, study, do his homework, not fuck around. He can have fun after he gets the car.

>If he starts doing this when he's 12, then if he would save the money instead, at 16 he would have 6000$, enough for a used up car like this autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=475198382
Why would a 12 year old have that sort of money to spend on subscriptions, pizza, soda, junk food, steam games, and gadgets?

I never said anything about racial cucking retard, public transportation doesn't work here and never will. Keep to your own culture.

The US military is majorly white, nigger.

Building infrastructure is one of the things I'm gonna if I ever take power.

Outlaw car inside the urban downtown, only public transport (train, metro, bus) and walking streets.

You can own a car, but you gonna ride in the countryside or the suburban, the city is polluted already.

This will save a lot of shitload of money for both government and the citizen.

BROOM BROOM

Attached: 0cade818047a2cf9006ba93d29b12bf623611298.jpg (1920x1080, 257.3K)

If I was a parent I'd rather them not drive anything until they're 18 or seeking employment to afford gas and insurance themselves.

It's economics, user. As we move further towards a world where self-driving cars and robust public transportation combined with the dying rural America owning and driving a car is just not as economical compared to a bike, bus, train, or a self driving Uber in this increasingly urban and green focused society we're moving towards.
America is finally going towards the European way where the rural areas of the country are reserved for the rich and the city is for the middle class/poor rather than how we've had the opposite going on since the boom of urban housing post-WW2. We just don't have the economy for it anymore.
And if we can actually push society into the direction of "green cities" with robust public transportation in America, I'm okay with it meaning the death of the car too. It's more sustainable, economical, environmental, and better for one's physical and mental health too.

If you call yourself natsoc or a fascist and you're not an environmentalist you should probably read up on the ideology you supposedly follow and know that anti-nature is the most Jewish thing in the world next to usury.

Attached: b7d24eed8e169572415f82e786c8977fba62f9ec21d874cd50ca1efccf3ee529.png (624x714, 406.78K)

Found the jew

Mass transit doesn't need to be socialized, privately run rail and bus infrastructure is commonplace. The better option (if you're a citycuck) is a combination of the two: rail for commuting and light shopping, and driving for when you need to go somewhere rural or move large loads.

Of course, the real best option is to not require road or rail in the first place, and go back to small-scale farming communities where everything is walking distance away, so we don't have to fight for oil or deal with the Chinese for rare-earth metals.

You must know that simply less cars is not enough. If you go green, you can't take half measures. The idea of a "green city" is oxymoronic.

Attached: Linkola.jpeg (439x293, 20.23K)

You are very wrong in this argument a kid does not save his money that the parents give him to have fun and leave them alone. Kids do not save money.

I am not against environmentalism, I simply oppose regressing to what europe is by having more citycuck influence in society. Fuck public transit and fuck (((civilization))).

Which one of those was a hobby?
A hobby implies some sort of skill on a casual level. What skill are you building watching tv, putting plastic on a shelf, or getting a participation trophy in a video game?

No thanks, the less retards on the road the better.

So not a single person has explained yet why owning a car is a good thing

That's not what a hobby is at all lol. Go open up a dictionary. It's the exact opposite of that.

If you hate civilization and public transit, you should get a horse or horse-drawn cart to be honest.

Gee i wonder how poz'd your jew definitions are.

No it isn't you retard. And nothing about that is good at all. Nuke the cities, problem solved.

Fuck off boomfuck.

Attached: Boomer.jpg (900x1315, 147.12K)

fuck off kike

Independence? Must be a foreign concept to a commie.

Okay then but that still doesn't change the fact that you're just spewing gibberish and pretending it's the established definition for the word lol. Like you don't just get to make up definitions as you see fit. If that's not Kikery, then nothing is.

I'm not the one that defined watching talmudvision and playing electronic games as a hobby.

Neither am I but your definition is fucking autistic.

Couldn’t read the insufferable blog post.
Car culture is at an all time high or at least it feels that way. Check Instagram, Facebook, YouTube. Young people are making careers out of being faggot vloggers in the car world.
Where are teenagers? Probably at autozone or a McDonald’s parking lot at 11pm having a car meet with their shit box Golfs, Civics, Subaru’s, and 20 year old mustangs.
It is absolutely not harder to get a car these days and furthermore the car you get is a much greater value than what you got in 1983 since you chose to use that year - or whatever gay ass article you copy pasted did.

175 horsepower out of a 5.0l V8
Adjusted for inflation it’s about $28,000 in today’s money

Today a Mustang GT in base trim with a 5.0L V8 makes 460 horsepower. The base MSRP is $35,000.

To make the comps a little more accurate a base Mustang Ecoboost with a turbo 4cylinder still makes over 300 hp and starts at $25,000.

A base Honda Civic is about $19k brand new and will get you160hp.

Being stuck behind the wheel, ie having your hands preoccupied, is less freedom than being free to shitpost on the internet while using public transit, or better yet having a driver

Not to mention how completely useless it is in any modern urban environment nowadays with the expensive parking and traffic congestion.

Yes owning a car is good for then the need arises but it's not actually practical to use it all the time unless you need to get somewhere asap, which would happen due to a lack of planning or in emergencies

Everyone obsessed with cars that I know uses it to find spots to smoke weed all day and to fuck their girls. Sorry but a car is not a living room you fucking degenerates